Painting Ceiling in Mobile Home

I want to paint the ceiling in our mobile home, but my husband is insisting it can't be done, as it is not dry wall. I would like it white and not the cream it is now. I believe it is vinyl. What prep and paint can I use?

By Diana

Best Answer

Many of the ceilings that I have seen in mobile homes are a vinyl hardboard that I do not think one can paint. You could inquire at a quality paint store where the staff actually know about paint, but I think that you will find that your husband is correct. If it is a vinyl coated board, I think you are just asking for a mess if you try to paint it.

If your mobile is fairly new, it can be painted, my daughter painted all 7 rooms & 2 bathrooms with stark white ceilings.. If it is an old one with what looks like acoustics with holes in it, it can be painted, we used various colors in all 5 rooms and it's fine. If it isn't either of these check with a paint store.

Hi - you can probably find out - for sure - at a store that specializes in mobile home items.