Painting a Refrigerator

Sometimes remodeling involves changing the color of your refrigerator. This guide is about painting a refrigerator.

Painting a Refrigerator
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My refrigerator is a silver colour, but it is going to black in spots. So how can I give it a new look?

By Sata

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have a can of "Bar Keepers Friend" It cleans everthing (counter top's, all metal, glass, etc. I take a wet a sponge or rag and pour Dawn and a little of "Bar Keeper's Friend" on it. It does a wonderful job on what you clean. I get this prodouct at "Walmart or Lowes. I hope this helps you.

Best Answer

Places that paint automotives will also paint refrigerators. I don't know if there is any way to do it yourself and have a durable job. I doubt it.

I want to paint my fridge with chalkboard paint. Does anyone know what kind of primer I should use? The fridge being magnetic is not important to me.

By Tiye

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree with the former poster. You are setting your fridge up for rust problems, because it is metal. Look for a black board the size you want, glue magnets on it, and stick it on the fridge.

Read More Answers...

I want to paint over the rust using the chalk board paint. Is that possible and how can I do it? I live in the tropics so the salty air does havoc to appliances.

rusty fridge
    AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is actually appliance paint you can use for a refrigerator. However, if you really want to make it a chalkboard, Rust-Oleum makes a product called rust reformer, which you can spray on first to kind of halt the rust. The steps to follow are: use a fine sandpaper to remove loose rust and smooth the surface a bit; wipe with a lightly damp cloth or tack cloth, if you used a damp cloth let it dry completely. Spray on the rust reformer, let dry. Rust-Oleum also makes the chalkboard paint; it comes in black, tintable (choose from about a dozen colors), and now also transparent, so you can use any color underneath, then paint it, and *poof* it's a chalkboard! Have fun with it! Another option is to use the rust reformer all over, then mount a chalkboard with STRONG magnets. You can get really strong magnets at a home improvement store.

Source: I work in the paint department at a home improvement store!

I'm wanting to paint my white refrigerator black, what is the best product to use to paint the rubber seal around the doors?

By Tami Y

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would suspect that there is no product that can be used to paint the rubber seal.

My frig is rusting. Can I use a roller to paint this in the house?

By M.K. from Lincoln, RI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you "fridge" is rusty, you can use Rustoleum paint and yes, you can roll it on if you use a good roller. This site will help.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca ... nds/specialty/appliance-epoxy-spray/

I want to paint my refrigerator white (it is now almond). Has anyone had success and what type of paint did you use?

By RealtorRose from Malvern, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I also suggest that you purchase paint that is formulated for appliances. Paints like these are designed to hold up to heat and cold without cracking and peeling.

http://www.danielshomecenter.com/appliances-1/refrigerators.html

Read More Answers...

Has anyone ever painted a refrigerator? If so, please tell me how you went about it and if the paint has held up.

By Sharon

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I painted a stove years ago by taking it to the auto body shop. I think they charged me $60 and it looked good and lasted well.

Read More Answers...

I need to paint the door on my fridge 410 liters model, frost free Hoover brand. Where I can find someone to spray paint the doors top and bottom, because they have rust. I also need a new rubber seal for the door. My fridge is in good working good, I only need to find who can spray paint the door.
    Thanks.

By Ofelia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How about you? Take the door off the hinge, lay it on a protected floor or yard and use either appliance paint, or Krylon or Rustoleum (my personal fav'). It is usually dry in an hour or so and you are set.

If you still want someone else to do it, check out small businesses in your area on Craigslist.

When using an epoxy paint on a refrigerator what kind of roller should I use?

By Peter

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Napped. Good on you, too, for refreshing the appliance with paint instead of tossing it because it's not pretty anymoe:)

Is there a way to paint a white refrigerator red?

By Bessie from McComb

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sure, just scruff up the old paint,apply a primer coat and then the top coat. If you use a brush there will be brush marks. Maybe a paint roller would work. So you may want to use an aerosol paint can. I would test out your technique on a piece of metal first. Or if you could get the unit to a body shop they could paint the unit for you. A long shot is to look in the yellow pages under painting and call some of them to see if they can steer you in the right dircetion to find someone that does that type of work if you do not want to do it yourself.

What paint do I use to paint a refrigerator that has the fingerprint proof bumps. Should I use Krylon for plastic? The refrigerator is not metal.

Eileen from Chicago, IL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I go about painting a refrigerator? What type of paint should I use, do I need some type of primer first? Please let me know.

Thank you,
    Denise from Oceanside, NY

Painting an Old Refrigerator

Rustoleum has a selection of specialty paints for appliances, even a "stainless steel" look. Try their page here...

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=33&SBL=1 (05/12/2005)

By Guest Lady

Painting an Old Refrigerator

I just watched how to do this hours ago on Creative Juice. Check it out on DIY.COM the website is sort of confusing, but you could try to search it. They sand it some (wipe off the dust), prime it with metal/plastic primer, and then paint (2 coats). You should look it up! I wish I could paint my fridge! (05/03/2007)

By Starchild in VT

Painting an Old Refrigerator

I used to sell body shops and I would often see home appliances in the shops to be painted. All of the previous suggestions are good. I can only add to wash the appliance first, if not, then you would be sanding the grime and grease into the metal. Be sure and use a primer, and the top coat should be an enamel paint if you are to do it your self. A body shop would be using enamel. If you are to do it yourself inside your home, cover everything because the spray paint will coat everything. Good luck (05/04/2007)

By foxrun41

Painting an Old Refrigerator

My friend took the doors off the refrigerator she wanted to paint and took them to the auto shop to get painted. That's what shows and gets the use anyway. She painted the rest herself, as per other suggestions. (06/07/2007)

By pamphyila

Painting an Old Refrigerator

Four years ago I bought my house and wanted a black refrigerator but couldn't afford it. I bought a nice used refrigerator for $200 and two cans of appliance epoxy paint and now have a black refrigerator. My fridge is a Westinghouse Designer Series (very nice) with inside ice maker and all the movable shelves (probably original owner upgraded to stainless steel) but now it is making a motor noise so I will do the same thing again. This time, I am going to find a brush on paint...maybe door paint by rustoleum. I don't want to deal with the over spray, otherwise it is an excellent way to go. (03/24/2008)

By MizRich

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you paint an old refrigerator?

Kay from Nobel, LA

Painting an Old Refrigerator

If you can afford it have a body shop do it. That kind of paint is thin and runs easily. If you are too close you have runs. If you are too far away, it looks grainy. Of course, you may be far more talented at it than me! (08/21/2006)

By carla bledsoe

Painting an Old Refrigerator

It depends on how good a job you want. The best way is to take the fridge to a body shop. The second is to look in the yellow pages under spraying and finishing and third if you want to do it yourself, what the previous post say is good, however, when using spray equipment be sure to cover anything you don't want the over spray to cover. (08/22/2006)

By Dean

Painting an Old Refrigerator

We used melamine paint and a foam roller. It has that no finger print texture. We use magnets on it often and wash when needed and it has looked great for nine years. We've also painted a range hood using the same paint for the same amount of time with the same great results. I've used melamine paint with topcoats of urethane on floors and bathroom counters; they've also lasted well. (08/22/2006)

By Connie from Canada

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have an old refrigerator which still works fine, but would like to change its color. (it's an old fashioned green color). Has anyone ever tried painting a fridge and if so, could you share your experience. What type of paint should I use and does anyone have any tips for applying it?

chiclets76

It's Like Painting a Car

Since it is made of metal, you paint it just like you would paint a car. Lightly sand it with a fine grit sandpaper and use spray paint. Check with the people at Lowes or Home Depot and they can help you select the proper type of sandpaper and spray paint. (04/14/2005)

By Glenn

Stainless Steel Look

I saw an article on TV that shows a material that peels and sticks and looks like stainless steel. If you like that look. Try Home Depot or Lowe's they might have some ideas. (04/14/2005)

By KPC

Appliance Paint

They make paint especially for appliances. Masking tape off the handle or any trim you don't want painted. Sand to rough up current paint to help new paint stick. Good luck! (04/14/2005)

By Cheryl from Missouri

Contact Paper

Another option is to use sticky contact paper. (04/14/2005)

By Lynne

Spray Paint

I know for a fact that at home depot they have a spray paint made for painting appliances. You don't even have to sand the appliance before you use the paint or apply a primer. (04/15/2005)

By noemoshunz

Plain Enamel

I painted an old fridge many years ago with plain enamel and it looked fine. I think they have special appliance enamel now, which you can find at Home Depot or Lowes. It might be good to prime it with something like Kilz first, but just follow the directions on the can. Good look (don't use red like I did!) (04/15/2005)

By Claudia

Appliance Paint

You can purchase epoxy appliance paint at any home imporvement store and Walmart. Just choose the color you want. Unplug the fridge, pull it well away from the wall. Place newspaper or plastic sheeting on the floor around the fridge taking care to tuck it under the edge of the fridge.(make sure the kitchen is well ventilated or take the fridge outside if possible) Cover the handle with painters tape or masking tape( remove the handle if possible). Start on the side and spray with long, overlapping, even strokes side to side, taking care not to over spray or the paint will run. If the paint runs, quickly wipe up the run with a wet cloth. Take your time. Paint the other side and then the front. Make sure everyone in your family knows that the fridge is wet. After you've finished, plug a fan nearby and let it blow onto the fridge for quicker drying. Your fridge may require more than one coat. Let the first coat dry completly before applying second coat. I repainted our fridge for about 5 years before I purchased a new one. Good Luck (04/15/2005)

By klr2080

Painting an Old Refrigerator

I have been trying to paint a refrigerator with appliance enamel and it is actually harder than it sounds. Maybe someone could offer some suggestions.

The first problem is that the enamel has a very glossy finish, and as a result, I have had a lot of problems with "overspray".

For example, if I paint the top half of the left side, and then pause for a minute (like maybe if I run out of paint and need to shake up a new can) you can tell where I stopped -- the finish is shiny and glossy up to the place I stopped. But when I continue, you can see a cloudy line of paint where the "overspray" landed on the paint that dried for a minute or two.

The only way I've found to avoid this problem is to start at the top and CAREFULLY work my way down, without pausing, and get the whole surface looking "wet" with paint. By the time I get halfway down the surface, the top is now "dry" enough (actually "tacky" enough) that I can't let any paint get up there, or it will make a cloudy misty finish, interrupting the nice glossy enamel finish. I just have to keep working my way down and get the whole side done perfectly, the first time, with no mistakes. If I run out of paint, or get a drip or something, I have to wait a couple hours for the paint to dry, and then start all over again at the top.

The second problem is similar -- after I paint the left side, then the right side, I'm screwed when I try to paint the front or top -- "overspray" from those surfaces lands on the shiny enamel finish on the other surfaces and makes them look cloudy/misty.

There MUST be an easier way to do this. I have repainted this whole darn thing 5 times, and I still keep getting this "overspray" mist problem (i.e. do the left side, do the right, do the front and accidentally overspray the right side; redo the right side but get overspray on the front, redo the front, etc. etc, etc.)

Can anyone offer any advice? (08/07/2005)

By Jim

Home Town Hardware Stores

I'd like also to paint my fridge and appreciate the advice. However, I'd like to see someone suggest buying supplies at a good, old-fashioned, downtown hardware store instead of Home Depot or Lowes. That sort of thinking is what has put the "little guy" out of business in favor of the "big boxes." (08/07/2005)

By lynn

Auto Body Shop

A friend of mine had her frig painted by an auto body shop. It looked great. (04/14/2006)

By Cindy

Painting an Old Refrigerator

You will need 3 cans epoxy enamel paint, 1 can plastic paint, 2 rolls masking tape, screwdriver, wrench and newspaper.

I have painted several appliances (fridge and freezer, I just finished number 8 or 9). It took me about two before I fully understood how to make it perfect. The last ones I did nobody can even tell they were not factory black. My preferred paint is Rust-Oleum Specialty Appliance Epoxy (Lowes, Home Depot, and Wal-Mart). I took the doors off, pulled out the seal (Yes, they are made to come out and if its not in good shape you can get one for ANY model at Sears parts for under $15.00), taped off the front and covered the door with newspaper and taped off to the edge. That way you are only painting what's supposed to be colored. Also, most door handles will come off if you can figure out how they are removed. Most fridges have a plastic vent at the bottom, and it can be removed and pulls off pretty easy. Use "plastic" paint for it. I tried to use the epoxy once and it just chipped or scraped off. This last one I did we used plastic paint and I couldn't scrape it off if I had to. I used the plastic paint on the hinge covers too.

The key is to get fine or medium sandpaper and rough up the entire surface. We are not talking about removing paint, just rough up the existing paint some, just going over the surface once. The paint is hard to deal with, but if you go in steady lines, left to right, top to bottom it turns out fine. Also, it takes about three coats. If you read the directions you will see they are very specific about when to apply the second or third coat, it's within 1/2 hour OR after 1 week, so keep moving so you can get it all done in one day. This helps cut down on the streaking and lets you see where you missed. White is harder to paint with then black. They also sell a couple of other colors but if your going to paint a stove or something, you can not paint the top with this stuff as it will burn.

Another tip is to start by spraying on the back so you can see how well it flows out and how quickly you have to move before you ever start in the visible areas.

The one I did a few days ago had the icemaker in the front and I was afraid to paint the plastic but luck had it, Sears had a change out kit for about twenty bucks. I have almost $40.00 total in a fridge that was less then a year old and would have cost me $1,800.00 to replace.

Wear old cloths. I refuse to paint inside after ruining my cabinets. The smell is better if you do it in the garage our outside.

This is not a 30 minute project. It takes a while to remove the stuff and then tape it off. Also, if you have an icemaker it may not be possible to completely remove the door, I just took it off and set next to the fridge because the water line was keeping me from completely removing it. I'm sure there is a way to do it, but for this it didn't matter. Once it's taped off you could just place it back on and paint from there.

My last piece of advice is about the tape. They advertise that blue stuff for painting, but I have not had any luck with it on the appliances. I use just regular masking tape. When I used the blue stuff, it left all kinds of glue behind and it was hard to remove. Regular tape also does the same, but it wipes right off. (08/09/2006)

By ndwatch

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingDecember 27, 2012
    Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
    Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
    vintage range
    Painting Appliances
    Saving Money on a Refrigerator, A new side by side refrigerator and freezer in stainless steel.
    Saving Money on a Refrigerator
    View of the water line.
    Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 6:19:04 PM on 10.0.0.37 in 277 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.