Perming Dyed Hair

Category Styling
Close up of Perming Dyed Hair
Hair can be damaged by the chemicals in both hair dye and perms. Care needs to be taken if trying to do both treatments on your hair. This is a guide about perming dyed hair.

I've had blonde highlights for 6 to 7 years and recently 6 months ago dyed my hair black. Then about 5 months later my mom gave me blonde highlights that damaged my hair so a week later I dyed it dark brown with a red tint. My question to you is that if in 6 months I get a perm will my hair be completely damaged?

By Brittney

Anonymous
Best Answer

Rule of thumb: Hair that is already chemically damaged, especially if bleach was used for the highlights, will be much more damaged by the chemicals in perm solution (those strong chemicals break down the hair bonds in order to create curl). In six months the only hair that would possibly be safe is the three inches of new growth (1/2 inch per month) at your scalp and that's if there's no bleach highlights on any of those three inches.

This is a joke? If not the answer is yes, unless you shave your head and in 6 months perm only the new growth.