Pigeons on My Balcony

Please help me get rid of pigeons on a my balcony. I have tied foil pie plates, wind chimes, and colored plastic bags to try to deter them and nothing is working. I live in an apartment building so am not allowed to put up any kind of netting or permanent structures.

abbycat1950

Best Answer

I also got suckered into the egg-laying and watching and hatching rubbish but was disgusted by the mess that the pigeons left. Was horrified when they returned the following year but still could not being myself to ditch the eggs. I was absolutely determined not to repeat the whole nasty business this year so when they started their regular gatherings on the balcony i strung up about a dozen cd's and I can't believe it! I haven't seen a pigeon since! Don't know how it works, maybe when they fly towards the cd's the holographic effect disrupts their homing radar or something - but whatever, I am absolutely delighted!

Best Answer

You don't really need to hang up a lot of CD's in order for it to work. All I did was stick 2 CD's on the railing of my balcony and I haven't seen a single pigeon on my balcony since! I could have just gotten lucky though.

Best Answer

I too came home from vacation to find two pigeon eggs on my balcony and didn't have the heart to get rid of them. I have to say that was the biggest mistake i have ever made because now they just won't leave! So finally they are old enough to fly, so I invested in a plastic Owl and let me tell you it was a waste of money. They now just hang out with the owl. The amount of pigeone poop on my belcony is overwhelming! I have cleaned it with beach and water. I am going to try the CD's and see if they work, but I have also heard the moth balls also work. Apparently they don't like the smell of it. Thank you for all of your suggestions!

Best Answer

I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment complex and have a balcony garden. The balcony has wide grills. The pigeon menace was crazy, with them dirtying my balcony and most of all destroying my plants!

Considering I live in a rented place, I did not want to spend too much money on netting, so tried the scarecrow, hung CDs, stuck aluminium foil flags in the pots and none of them worked for more than a week. I finally decided to mimic the netted mesh balconies using a ball of twine and a cut up mosquito net and it has worked wonders! Its been a month and my balcony has been pigeon free.

Here is how I did it:

The top 3 quarters of the balcony grill has horizontal metal bars running parallel to each other at a distance of about 1ft with parallel vertical bars at a distance of 1ft. The lower part of the balcony grill has only horizontal bars parallel to each other. So this would allow the pigeons to freely move in and out and pretty much destroy all my plants.

So I started with my ball of twine at one end of the balcony and criss-crossed the twine across the grills. For the lower part I bought a cheap light coloured mosquito net (so that light would not be blocked) and cut it up to open into one long piece which I then tied across the lower part of the balcony.

I am having major problems with the pigeons on my balcony. I am trying the cd method, wish me luck. So far the cd method is not working for me. I will try it for a few days. Hopefully it will work. If not I will be trying something else as the birds aka flying rats will not win this war. So far the flying rats have the upper hand but I am determined not to give up. As Clint Eastwood says. "GO AHEAD MAKE MY DAY."

I am so glad that I found this site. I will be trying all your ideas until something works. My problem is worse though because the nest was not on my balcony it is on my nextdoor neighbors. And they have no problem with it. Like others I have read when I first saw some eggs on their balcony I thought it was cool. I watched them hatch and get bigger, but the problem is they are like their own community and all the other freakin' pigeons sit on my balcony to watch them. I am trying an owl first because I saw one across the way, but anything to remove these birds will be ok. thanks to everyone who sent ideas if I find something new I will share it. Good luck everyone.

Thanks to everyone who's posted here. I had no idea this was such a common problem. My wife and I live in a top-floor apt. and came home after a vacation to find a nest with an egg. Cute at first, but I'm sure glad I found this site. Got rid of it immediately this morning and just hung a CD after chasing the persistent flying rats away from the balcony all day. If this works, I'll be letting y'all know. Good luck to everyone else who's having urban problem.

The owl DID NOT work! Even the type that moves and makes noise. Am trying W-D40 and Aluminum Tins. Will let you know. At least I am not the only one and yes, sure I thought they were cute to begin with (animal lover and all) but now?

I don't mind pigeon around my balcony but one thing that bother me is that every time they stopped by pay me a visit they POOED! Even more they're worst than random active car theft alarm would go off once every 20 mins! I will try the cd thing but I'm a bit interior conscious person and I don't have any other choice. Will let you guys know the result.

Seems like everyone has a problem with these sky rats. How about Bleach? Like, spraying your balcony with bleach? I'm going to try it. Hopefully it works!

Pigeons are not rats. And you may bear in mind that you or your family may be alive today because of a brave and determined pigeon. My uncle handed over six of his prize pigeons to be blown to bits for the survival of people like you. It takes all sorts, doesn't it?

I had the same problem with pigeons on my balcony. I read somewhere that the smell of tomatoes might keep them off and guess what? I planted tomatoes on my balcony a month ago and have not seen a single pigeon since! Hope this will help you too.

I tried the bucket of water and it actually did work, for today. But this is the longest that they have stayed off my balcony and if they come back I will splash them again. It's harmless so I really don't feel bad. Who new something so simple would work.

Those pigeons are the worst thing in the world. But after visiting this site, I have a lots of ideas and I'm gonna try that. I hope it works. Please guys, wish me luck!

Pigeon excrement is toxic and can harm pets and small children Also they will eat that black tar paper on your roof, I think it is called flash paper. The only thing that worked for me was a professional service, nothing else.

I also have pigeons on my roof. I live in a three story house in Washington, DC. The pigeons nest on the roof, and their droppings fall on the porch below. It's not easy to get on the roof. Does anyone have a solution?

My pigeon laid 2 eggs on my balcony and 2 chicks came out. It started learning how to fly after 5 months only 1 chick came home but not the other I was worried. So can you guys help me, please? Thank you!

It is very important that you remove pigeons immediately. I had pigeons nest in my balcony for a while (my kids thought is was cute). One day all three of us noticed bites. I found very small insects everywhere in the apartment (they are smaller that fleas). I called a company and they had to fumigate the entire house. They told me they came from the pigeons. Do yourselves a favour get rid of pigeons before you have an infestation.

Ok spring is back and those little birds are looking for a spot to nest. In the past hour I've chased them off 4 times. So I sprayed all my balcony panels with wd40. Lets see what happens.

Pump action Pellet gun, from about 5 feet= No more Pigeons.

The Owl thing sometimes works, and yet sometimes the pigeons will perch on it as if to say, "Ha ha! Didn't work!"

I thought to have a prettier reflective item, I would use the mini 'disco ball' It worked for about a week. I had several wind chimes etc. which also only worked long enough for the birds to get used to them. I have been away for a couple of weeks, and today, I found a nest with 2 eggs in it. Before reading any of these posts, I discarded it. I spent the whole of last summer waiting for it to rain hard enough to be 'allowed' to use the power washer to clean it so I could enjoy the balcony with my daughter (this rarely happened). I bought a net last year but couldn't figure out how to hang it. Today I am going to buy some shower curtain rods and slinkys.I'll keep you posted on how well it works. Wish me luck!

The CD thing does not work! I have my CD's more than 20 feet away from the pidgeons and they are not phazed.

I discarded an egg and nest when it appeared on my balcony and I am pleased to say that the pigeon problem disappeared after that.

I have 2 loving pigeons keep coming back to my balcony. I have some pots with soil because the plants we dead from last summer. I tried putting curry powder, aluminum foils and now I am out of ideas. I will try the tomatoes if it works for you. Hopefully it works for me too.

I want them gone

They were living in my bbq next to the propane tank. I tried and tried to chase them away. Removed a nest with 2 eggs and threw it out, they kept coming back. I sprayed the inside of my bbq with oven cleaner and haven't seen them since.

Looking out of a window at a pigeon on a balcony
Keeping Pigeons Off Your Balcony
Home and Garden Home Improvement Pest ControlJuly 1, 2008
Five Pigeons
Getting Rid of Pigeons
Patio and Balcony Gardening
Patio and Balcony Gardening
🎉
🎄