Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Planting Red Maple Seeds in a Hot Climate

Attempting to grow seeds from trees or other plants not typically suited to your environment may prove to be disappointing. This is a guide about planting red maple seeds in a hot climate.

February 16, 2017 Flag

I was browsing an Amazon site, and I saw one of these charming red maple tree with seeds. I ordered the seeds out of curiosity; it came after two weeks. I am in an area where the average yearly temperature is 30 degrees celsius (86F).

And now I have got the seeds! I am wondering if it is possible to get a tree out of the them here? and how? Note that the seeds came with planting instructions, but i believe that it was written for the US and Canada zones.

Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You probably won't get a tree.

When I was young I lived In North Carolina which is warm and humid. Now I live in Colorado where it is cool and dry. As you might guess, most plants from my home state simply won't grow here. But people have found alternative trees, shrubs and plants that can make their house more homey.

I encourage you to do the same. Here are some hot weather plants you might want to consider:

Hopscotch Heucherella: Heat and humidity tolerant plant. Has maple-shaped leaves that change color.

Ruby Slippers Hydrangea: A plant with red flowers and large leaves.

Sweet Tea Foamy Bells: Foliage becomes more brilliantly colored in heat and humidity.

Fire Chief Heuchera: Bright red foliage plant.

You can plant it but you may have to make it an indoor tree because if it's a more Northern tree the heat will wilt it. Aside from that, making sure to keep them refrigerated at first. Here is a good link http://m.wikiho  Maple-Tree-Seeds

Maple trees won't grow well in your area. Make sure anything you plant is suited for your zone. Where I live I can't grow bananas or melons that require long periods of very hot weather. That's just the way it is.

i live in Florida and have had red maple trees grow as far south as Ft Lauderdale (USDA zone 10-11) but the average temperature is lower than yours as there are usually some low 70's (sometimes in 60's) in the 2-3 winter months.

I'm afraid your seeds are just a curiosity thing unless you wish to try your hand at bonsai (?) which sounds interesting to me but this is a very slow process and has an extensive "learning" curve. Just for fun - Check this site out:

https://www.eve  com/redmaple.htm

Try it. We have several red maples in our yard, some came up from seed from the original seed. Our seasons range from 20 below 0 f to 110 f. I know my grandmother had one in her yard in Florida so you just have to try it.

For about three weeks now it is not an easy task to try to germinate the seeds.I tried the tissue paper and the sandwich bag and also sowed the seeds. After 3 weeks still there is no sign of life.

Red Maple
Growing a Red Maple
Home and Garden Gardening TreesFebruary 27, 2017
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Maple Tree
Growing Maple Trees
Heart of a pink rose.
Growing Roses in a Tropical Climate
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 8:48:36 PM on 10.0.0.154 in 906 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.