Preventing Pantry Pests

Category Pantry Pests
Opening your pantry to find bugs is frustrating. This is a guide about preventing pantry pests.

Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this guide, click to share your own tip!

As careful and clean as you try to be, there is a possibility of bringing a bug-infested box of pasta home. If you don't have enough containers, wrap each box in a plastic bag and seal tightly. This will prevent the infested box from spoiling other foods in your pantry.

I put all my flour in the freezer for 24 hours to kill any potential bugs. I guess it would work with the pasta, too.

I hate bugs so I use my freezer to keep away the pantry pests. I mark the date and then freeze all of the cereal, flour, pasta, rice, etc that comes in the house for at least 3 days. I never have problems with vermin in my pantry anymore.

By Ellen

Yes it will work.......Corn meal is the worst offender in my house....I won't let it come in the cupboards till it has been frozen for a looong time....I hate cupboard bugs....

The best thing I have ever found to keep pantry moths or any other pest from getting in your food is to put a bay leaf in the box or package after it is opened. There is something about a bay leaf that they hate. You can get these cheaply at a $1 store.

By Elaine from Iowa

Hello, Here it is 9 years later and I found the help I need . I have had two years of misery with these darn moths. Bay Leaves on my shopping list this minute. THANK YOU!

Clean up spills in your cabinet quickly. Store food in air tight plastic, glass or metal containers. Clean food storage areas at least once a year and inspect packaging for leaks.

While it won't do anything about any little hitchhikers already in your food, bugs absolutely hate cedar, so sprinkling a few shavings or hanging up a little bag of it in your pantry may discourage anything investigating the place from hanging around.

Clear glass jars inside of a pantry.

Pantry pests can ruin your food stores very quickly. Keeping your pantry space and storage containers clean and dry is the best way to prevent pests from infesting. This is a guide about keeping pests out of the pantry.

Plastic Food Containers

Many consumers prevent the explosion of pantry moths and weevils, by freezing their dry goods when brought home from the store. There are other methods to try as well. This is a guide about keeping bugs out of plastic food containers.

A hand holding a cockroach.

If you have found bug or other pests in your pantry, it is important to clean them out thoroughly. This is a guide about identifying and eliminating pantry pests.

A spoonful of pancake mix.

The last thing you want to discover when you go to make breakfast is bugs in your pancake mix. This page offers advice about how to avoid bugs in your pancake mix.

Bugs that have infested a flour jar.

When you see bugs in your jars of dry goods in the pantry, generally either the jar is not airtight, or the bugs hatched after your purchase. This is a guide about bugs appearing in airtight flour jars.

These bugs I have are not any bug I can find on any web-site. They have been found in pasta, cereal, pancake and Bisquik batter, but not in or around the flour which they possibly could get into also. They are in all rooms, the basement included. We have even found them in Hidden Valley powdered seasoning mix.

When they are crushed, they leave a chalky residue. I think I may have brought them into the house in an infested dry dog food package which I took back as soon as I noticed them, but I think the damage was already done. We have hung up fly strips by lights we leave on all nite and they end up just loaded with these bugs. Help please!

Pantry bugs-beetles, grain moths, etc., occur in all types of packaged foods and we often bring them home in our purchases. My entomologist husband says the best plan for you now to eradicate your current invaders and prevent all new attacks:

**Throw out all packages of any type of grain product, opened and unopened. This includes all you have repacked in glass, etc. as they are all suspect.

**Thoroughly clean out all pantry storage areas with a bleach cleaner.

**From now on, use this freezer practice to avoid future problems-place every new package (not opened!!!) in your freezer for at least 24 hours. This will kill all pests and their eggs.

If you find new pests in the future, you may have missed an old package or forgot to freeze a new purchase. If so, you must repeat the above method to return to a bug free state.

Good Luck!!!

We have very, tiny black bugs that have infested our pantry. They look like a speck of dirt until they move. They have infested our cereals and dry foods, such as soup mix. They move very slowly. What are they, and how the heck do we get rid of them? I've tried emptying and cleaning out the pantry once, but they came back.

By Kym H.

It sounds like flour weevils. they live in all flour products. So they are constantly coming into our houses. I finally got rid of mine by throwing out any flour product that was past pull date. Sounds like they like dried beans too... I am not surprised. At least they don't bite people.

I learned this many years ago. Buy extra bay leaves just for pantry. When you bring home a product like grain flour etc add about 4 to the box or package and close. They don't like it and they leave your pantry alone. We have had blessed relief for about 15 years now.

I find beetles and bugs infesting a dietary product containing whole grain cereals like barley, green gram, millet, wheat, and fenugreek even in well sealed packs. How can this be prevented? Can roasting the cereals before packing prevent infestation? Should I try washing, drying in sun and then roasting before packing them?

By srikumar

I find that storing any products that are whole grain in the fridge works well for me. I haven't had any problems with 'bugs' since I've started storing them this way :) Hope this helps!

Try freezing the packets when new This should kill any ingrain beetle. When I stored quantity of wheat long term, I placed a toilet roll in container with garlic cloves embedded into toilet roll.Roll prevents moisture. Garlic repels any insect.

They look like a black, round, small seed. How do I get rid of them?

By Dorte

Is this an insect? From your description, it sounds like mouse droppings. Please give more details. For insects, you could try diatomaceous earth. It is sold under a variety of names, but is non-toxic to people and pets. It kills insects by shredding their exoskeletons. Of course, if you have mice, it is a different problem entirely.

Hi - I believe a friend of mine has a problem with this small round black "bug".

they are definitely alive and not mouse droppings.

We could not find any of these bugs in any food but they must come in with food.

We cleaned all of her pantry - sprayed it down with vinegar - and then put borax at the back and sides of the shelves.

This was about 4 weeks ago and she has seen some dead bugs but no live ones - but that does not mean they are gone!

Hope someone can tell us more about them and why they are around food but not in boxes?

I have been told that leaves from eucalyptus trees on the shelves and in containers will keeps bugs out of food. Is this true? I'm sorry. I don't know how to do photos on the computer.

By Tera B

I don't know about eucalyptus leaves, but I know that bay leaves will keep bugs out of flour. Hope this helps.

I have what look like little brown worms in my wooden salad bowl. I rarely use it, but when I do I either find one alive or the shell of what was there. What is it? How do I get rid of them? Are they harmful?

By Connie W. from Spokane, WA

It's possible you have woodworm in the bowl. If so, it will endanger any wooden furniture, cupboards etc.

I have a professional company do my lawn, inside the house, and termite control. I have so many pests and they are treating my home for these. Recently I found a very small brown oval bug. The technician said it is a pantry pest. You can almost "see" them.

By Joyce from Tavares, FL

I have kitchen supplies (some spices like onion seeds, fenugreek seeds, chilly powder, cinnamon, pepper, etc.) stored in plastic containers. Different items are separately packaged and stored away in these containers, but I keep having these tiny thick-skinned brown bugs in the container, ruining almost "all" the items. I disposed off the old supplies, cleaned and disinfected the containers and put in new supplies. Lo and behold! They are back in another month and have ruined my supplies again. Strange thing, I don't even know what to call them. Help needed badly!

By Rita