Getting Rid of Pantry Pests

They look like a black, round, small seed. How do I get rid of them?

By Dorte

Is this an insect? From your description, it sounds like mouse droppings. Please give more details. For insects, you could try diatomaceous earth. It is sold under a variety of names, but is non-toxic to people and pets. It kills insects by shredding their exoskeletons. Of course, if you have mice, it is a different problem entirely.

Hi - I believe a friend of mine has a problem with this small round black "bug".
they are definitely alive and not mouse droppings.

We could not find any of these bugs in any food but they must come in with food.
We cleaned all of her pantry - sprayed it down with vinegar - and then put borax at the back and sides of the shelves.

This was about 4 weeks ago and she has seen some dead bugs but no live ones - but that does not mean they are gone!

Hope someone can tell us more about them and why they are around food but not in boxes?

I store my flour and cornmeal in freezer. Seems to keep it for long time. I buy small bags, instead of large bags. I thought about putting my Hungry Jack complete pancake mix in freezer.