Preventing Beetles in Packaged Whole Grain Products

I find beetles and bugs infesting a dietary product containing whole grain cereals like barley, green gram, millet, wheat, and fenugreek even in well sealed packs. How can this be prevented? Can roasting the cereals before packing prevent infestation? Should I try washing, drying in sun and then roasting before packing them?

By srikumar

I have similar problems here in Spain.My solution is to put the unopened packet in the freezer for a few days.This works for me. Any bugs and weevils don't have a chance to develop.

I use the freezer to prevent the same problems with flour, pasta, dried beans, rice and other grains, and nuts and seeds. In fact, I use the freezer for long term storage of all these items, since I have a large one that opens in the front. Just take out the amount of product you need and allow to warm to room temrature. The warming is especially important for baking, when all your ingredients should be room temprature. I hope this helps.

I find that storing any products that are whole grain in the fridge works well for me. I haven't had any problems with 'bugs' since I've started storing them this way :) Hope this helps!

Try freezing the packets when new This should kill any ingrain beetle. When I stored quantity of wheat long term, I placed a toilet roll in container with garlic cloves embedded into toilet roll.Roll prevents moisture. Garlic repels any insect.

Also make sure you store in glass containers with clip lids.