Product Review: Scott Naturals Toilet Paper

Product: Scott Naturals Toilet Paper

Manufacturer: Scott Brand

I'm normally committed to one, possibly two, brands of toilet paper but had a coupon for this Scott Naturals brand. After figuring out the price of doubling the coupon at my local grocery store, it came out cheaper than my normal brand, so I looked carefully at the product. It's made from partially recycled fibers, it said it was still quality (and I associate the brand with quality), plus the product's packaging said it was soft, although it didn't look soft.

Well, it ended up being pretty durable, but my husband and I compared the toilet paper to what you'd typically find in a public or your work restroom: rough, not soft, and we couldn't wait to finish the package. I'll leave it up to you if you'd like to try it. Good that it uses partially recycled fibers is a plus but comfort? Well, that was a big miss.

By Jessica from Waukesha, WI

Our family tried it and had no problems. Plus, we had less clogging of the toilet.

I do know their 1000 sheet rolls are rough. I have a sister that uses that because it is cheaper and she lives alone, so we all know she won't be using an excessive amount of TP.

Thanks for the review! It's much appreciated!

I really like their 1000 single-sheet roles, actually, it's not too bad when you get used to it. Less paper waste to clog, too, good for septic systems! :)

A word of warning: I am an environmental science student, and have looked into this quite a bit. We no longer use recycled toilet tissue in our household, because of BPA contamination of the recycled paper stream.

You know those bits of receipts that you throw into the recycling? Those thermal papers contain BPA (Bisphenol-A), an endocrine disruptor that has been linked to certain unwanted health effects. It's the persistent organic pollutant that all the fuss was about when they were finding it in baby bottles. Now, it's most dangerous when heated, but there have been studies of cashiers at machines using thermal paper having much higher than average amounts of it in their system.

The BPA does have effects on human health, but more strongly researched effects on fish, causing sexual disorder and deformity, as well as being stored in tissues. When used in toilet paper, it can now enter the water cycle. Sewage systems do not currently treat for certain things, such as chemical compounds like BPA and various medications. Not only will it enter the water cycle, but will eventually find its way back into our drinking water (not to mention fish you eat).

Were you worried about feeding your baby from a baby bottle that had BPA in it? Well, think how much more worrying it would be if you had to drink it in your water, because it is in all water.

If it makes you more comfortable to know, the tissue grade paper used in toilet paper in the US is made of leftover bits that are a byproduct of paper manufacturing. A roll of virgin tissue toilet paper ends up being greener (and sometimes less expensive) than a comparable recycled roll.

Great review, thanks! I won't buy Scot brand because it just doesn't seem like a quality product, regardless of the name recognition.

Shesanangel, I'm no environmental science major, but that was some good info to know! For the money and comfort, I prefer Angel Soft above all others. Soft enough to be comfortable, and quite reasonably priced.

We only use Cottonelle with Aloe and E. The others don't compare. Even my husband has an opinion of this and when I purchase a cheaper brand...he notices and isn't happy.

Roll of toilet paper against a white background
Toilet Paper Product Reviews
Consumer Advice Product Reviews Bath and BeautyJune 6, 2011
Screen shot of Village Naturals Therapy website.
Village Naturals Therapy Reviews
Empty cardboard toilet paper rolls, ready for reusing.
Valentine Crafts Using Toilet Paper Rolls
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper