Puppy Pees in Crate

If your puppy is peeing in her crate you will want to determine the timing and other indicators that proceed this occurrence in order to help her stop this behavior. This is a guide about puppy pees in crate.

July 28, 2008 Flag

How can I get my puppy to stop peeing in his crate at night?

Audrey from New Jersey

First take puppy to vet to make sure there is no bladder infection. Irregular peeing is their way of saying something. After that, make sure the crate is not too big. Then, remember the puppy's bladder can only hold so much. I trained all 5 of my dogs by taking them out every 20 min. no matter what. Normally 15 min. after they eat they want to pee and right after a nap or night. Reward with a treet when they go outside only. Never hit for peeing other than outside. I never have had a problem with peeing in my home with the method of going out every 20 min. and after nap and eating....Good luck..

My pup did the same thing-but he slept in it. I had left the window open when the wind was blowing hard and it scared him for many months following-I did all the above remedies I was consistent-went to the Vet-he grew out of it at 3 yrs old- I got incontinent pads for adults to put in the crate-the earlier frustration became my morning ritual of washing his bed. English Bulldog

Just make sure that you take the dog outside to do his business before you go to bed now if you sleep late than he might pee again also watch the water intake too. Remember what people said puppies are babies in a way so you might have to get up a bit early to let him out. I go to bed late take princey out and then when hubby gets up he makes sure she goes outside too.

She is not in a crate and she just turned 3 she was in a crate before we got her and she peed too. But praise God she has gone outside sometimes makes an accident but that is ok but not all the time. She is a good dog a bit goofy sometimes but love her anyway.

Puppies are babies and they cannot control this at this stage. You can start by cleaning the crate - dogs prefer a clean area. Then start walking the pup every 30 minutes and then play for 15 minutes and then back to the crate. You can then work on increasing the intervals until you reach the 6 hours. Hope this helps.

September 20, 2006 Flag

How do I stop my 8 week old puppy from peeing in her kennel? When we first got her, I introduced her to her kennel, just like all the books say, but she still doesn't care for it too much. We had a little breakthrough when she went in her kennel twice last week to go to sleep, but since then has stopped. She sleeps in the living room in her kennel, because it's when she sees us at night that she starts whining.

I had set my alarm for every three hours to take her out, but she would still have soaked her towels. I read to not put anything absorbent, so they would feel it more. I did that, and she doesn't seem to care! My husband put her in her kennel, right after taking her outside, so he could take a shower. Twenty minutes later she had already peed in her kennel and was soaked with it!

I think it must be anxiety caused, since she didn't need to go, and she is really good about holding it a long time when she is out of the kennel. She's so smart, she's already gotten the hang of housetraining, just not her kennel? I really want this to work because our other dog is kennel trained and very happy! Any help would be great!

Starrangel85 from Dickson, TN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your puppy is probably still too young. Here's something I found on the internet:

A Note About Crating Puppies

Puppies under 4 months of age have little bladder or sphincter control. Puppies under 3 months have even less. Very young puppies under 9 weeks should not be crated, as they need to eliminate very frequently (usually 8-12 times or more daily).

Maybe give it a try when she's a bit older- it really does work- I have crate-trained all my dogs.

You should get a book called, "How to Housebreak Your Dog in Seven Days", by Kalstone. It's helped me a lot. I just got an 8 week old miniature pinscher and she is doing pretty good being crate trained, but maybe you could try the other suggestion in the book. In the book it says that puppies under 4 monthes do not have complete control yet and shouldnt be crated.

Until your puppy is 4 months, you should leave her in a newspaper lined kitchen (small area) with her crate open at all times. Make the a fun place to be, with toys and blanket. This way when you start crate training she will like her crate. (Also, Ive been tossing treats in my puppies crate while shes not looking so when she finds them in there she will like her crate) Let her pee and poop on the newspapers and dont say anything when she goes, just clean it up quickly. That way you wont confuse her for when its time for crate training. Then when shes older and has more control you can start crate training.

I we have recently adopted two puppies; a 6-7 month old mutt and a 8wk old Rotti pup. The six month old had no prior training so the first week he messed in the house...a lot. I read a book entitled "No Bad Dogs" by Barbara Woodward. She suggested that you crate the pup or dog for 3 days straight, and let your puppy out at 1 hour, then 2, 3, and so one until you can get up to 7-8 hours.

Make sure you then bring your pup outside, instruct where you would like them to go and lots of praise when mission accomplished. This time to should be a little 5 minute break of fun! It worked! The 6 month broke his "bad" habits and no accidents since. Helps to plan it for a weekend. the 8 wk old had one accident when we brought her home but already is able to potty on command. Best wishes and good luck.

I have a corgi puppy that is almost 7 months old. She is peeing in her crate most every night. I take water away 2 hrs before bed and she is taken out every hour to hour and a half before bed time. She is house trained during the day and spends a scheduled amount of time in her crate daily. I put her to bed at 10:30 and get up with her at 6:30 am and she has peeded all over herself. The crate is not too big. SHe only has room to turn around. Could this be a habit?

Pets Dogs House TrainingJune 29, 2013
Puppy in Crate
Puppy Poops in Crate
dog sitting in bed
Dog Pees in Owner's Bed
dog in a crate
Adult Dog Pees in Crate
Dog Crate
Making a Dog Crate Cover