Adult Dog Pees in Crate

Despite the assurances that a dog will not poop or pee in their crate, this does happen for a number of reasons. This is a guide about adult dog pees in crate.

Olly we have had just 2 weeks, he is very good in the home and his manners. He is crate trained, but barks now at 5:30. When I go down to let him out he has wet in his bed and it is still warm.

We have got him in a routine as we had him barking and howling at night, but ignoring him has been achieved and now we are left with him wetting in the morning. As soon as I hear him barking I go down, but I think he is barking either to tell us he has done it or to go, but with excitement. Then he has already done it. Help.

By nancy marris from Dinnington Sheffield, UK

Answers

If you stay up till midnight or later let him out the last thing before you go to bed. This might help to reset his body clock. Another thing you might want to consider is getting up at 4:30 to let him out. Or if you make a potty run in the middle of the night have him go too.

I was going to make a suggestion similar to MartyD's. If Olly wakes you at 5:30 and he had already peed in his crate (it's still warm/fresh), why not set your alarm to get up at 5:00 and hopefully that'll be early enough to let him out? I imagine you're not thrilled at getting up even earlier (I wouldn't be!), but it seems this would be easier than waiting for him to wake you at 5:30 with a mess in his crate that you need to clean up.

If getting up a little earlier to get to him before he pees in his crate works, I wonder if you might eventually be able to gradually shift it later. Like do 5:00 (or 4:30) for a while. Once that's going well, maybe try 10 minutes later for a while. And so on. Best of luck with Olly!

I didn't see mention of the dogs age, if he's fairly young, you need to step up potty training. Make sure he goes before going to his crate. If he's into his crate early, say before 10-11pm, you may have to give him a potty break during the night. If my dog wakes up when I got to the bathroom in the middle of the night, then i know she needs to go again. Getting up a bit earlier may help too

Everyone's advice has been good, but a few things haven't been mentioned. Perhaps your crate is too large for your dog. The whole crate training premise is based on the fact that a dog does not like to soil the place where he sleeps. That said do not allow him to get to a place where this becomes normal as the dog will get to the point where it won't be a big deal to urinate in the crate.

While crate training limit liquid intake to nothing 3 hours before bed time and depending on the age of the dog he should not be crated more then 8 hours at a time.

When my dog was crate training I would not leave him in his crate for more then 4 hours at a time during the process. I also found that having his crate in the bedroom with me at night made it much easier to hear and respond to his needs. A dog will not always bark loudly when needing to go out. A lot of the time it will start with little whines and whimpers. By the time they are barking and howling the need is great and they are very uncomfortable.

I hope this helps you. I read many sites with my dogs but the best info I got was from others past experiences. Good Luck.

Be sure to take him out to the bathroom before he goes to sleep for the night. Also be sure you don't keep him in the crate too many hours before letting him out again to go to the bathroom.

Dogs usually need to go as soon as they wake up. If he's going in his crate, it would seem he's in there too long.

I have an 11 year old dog that only pees in her kennel if there is bedding in it. It can be a towel, doggy bed, etc., but if it is just the plastic crate bottom nothing. She does not pee in the house and sleeps with us at night and we have no issues. What the heck is going on and how to I fix it?

Answers

I would check with the vet. It may be a symptom of old age or an infection

Ask the vet just to be sure this is not a health issue, but since she is only peeing in one place in one situation, it sounds like a behavioral issue that she is trying to mark items in her crate as her own. Like she already feels like the other places are hers (no pee) but the crate covers aren't (pees).

The vet is good with BH problems also...but I would look to see what it is with her crate that she feels the need to mark the things you put in it. Is there a cat or another dog who goes in there sometimes and she is trying to tell him or her to stay away? Have the items you are been putting in there already been peed on by another member of the fur family?

Please let us know what you figure out and what the vet says!

I have taken in a now 1 year old pup. When I got her she was maybe 8-9 months. She was not crate trained correctly. The owner let her pee on the pee pad in the crate all the time. And she would not pee outside when taken out, she thought it was play time. She would only pee when she wanted to outside. I have since trained her to pee outside right away. But now I have the problem of her peeing inside the crate when I'm not home. How do I stop this?

Answers

This isn't going to be easy:

1. The dog was trained to pee in her crate from the time she was a small puppy.
  2. Ad

3. You didn't get the dog until it was almost 9 months old.
  4. Your dog now has the habit and believe it is fine to pee in the crate anytime it wants.
  5. You will need to remove everything from the crate.
  6. Before you put the dog in the crate and are ready to leave the dog must go outside and pee.
  7. Before you leave I wouldn't give the dog any water and make sure she pees outside several times before putting her in the crate.
  8. Each time she pees in the crate tell her she is a bad dog and this isn't acceptable.
  9. If she doesn't pee in the crate then you can reward her with a treat.
  10. Be patient, this will take time because your dog feels it is fine to pee in her crate.
  11. You will have to let her know this isn't the correct behavior.