Share a SolutionAsk a Question
To Top

Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

The Social Security Supplemental Security Income program pays benefits to disabled adults and children who have limited income and resources. This is a guide about receiving supplemental security income (SSI).


Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!

January 24, 20170 found this helpful

Last will and testament document.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

SSI or Social Security Supplemental Insurance assistance is provided to aged, blind, and disabled people with low incomes. This is a guide about, "Does receiving an inheritance affect SSI?".



Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

0 found this helpful
February 24, 2014 Flag

My aunt called her SSI case worker and her boyfriend called his. They were told if they married, they would not receive their full benefits. So they got married by a ordained minister. My aunt wants to know if she's breaking the law?

By A.J. from Cassopolis, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
February 24, 20140 found this helpful
Best Answer

Did they have a wedding license? If not they aren't legally married. A real ordained minister would know that and basically in my opinion he would be the one breaking the law. If your aunt and her boyfriend have been living together, why do they want to get married? There is a reason that a lot of senior citizens live together and maintain separate bank accounts and that is because if they get married they will lose part of their retirement Social Security.

No matter what their handicap is, if they would each lose part of their SSI they should be able to work enough to make up the difference of what they would lose. I know lots of people with various handicaps that are working too. Your question left a lot to the imagination. They couldn't get married without having a marriage license that they have to go to the County Court House to obtain.

After a certain period of time the license that is signed after the wedding ceremony gets registered by the state and after that it is a matter of time before Social Security will find out about it. It could be just a few days up to several years. That being said when it gets caught you aunt and her husband will have to pay a certain amount of money back to Social Security. If they did get married and haven't notified Social Security they should do so right away in order to avoid having to pay back a large sum of money.

Also there is the possibility if your state recognizes "common law" marriages after a couple lives together for 10 years and if that is the case I don't know what effect that would have on SSI benefits. They really have to talk to the local Social Security Office and if they have a case manage through a facility that works with disabled people that person might be able to advise them too.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
February 26, 20140 found this helpful

I am so glad that redhatterb takes the time to answer questions like this as this advise like all the others seems to be right on the spot.

Please take this advise to your friend as they are the ones who should be asking questions.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
March 8, 20140 found this helpful

Most people get married by ordained ministers. They will have to report their union since it will get recorded in the courts. If they fail to do so and keep cashing their checks, they'll probably be charged with fraud, may get fined and jail time, and will still have to pay the money back.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

0 found this helpful
June 2, 2016 Flag

So my friend receives SSI and I'm his payee. We live together; so if my friend passes away, as the payee I know to report it, but would I get his benefits still?

Related Content(article continues below)
AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
June 2, 20160 found this helpful

The SSA can answer your question correctly, however, for most SSA benefits, I believe that if you are not legally connected to your friend, payee or not, all benefits stop at death.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
June 4, 20160 found this helpful

friends do not get SSI

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

0 found this helpful
August 4, 2016 Flag

I'm the mother of an autistic adult. I moved to North Carolina from New Jersey. Ii don't work, but I receive child support. Will my son's SSI benefits decrease because of the move?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
August 4, 20160 found this helpful

Contact the agency directly to answer your question.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

0 found this helpful
September 27, 2014 Flag

I am 34. My husband died in a car accident. He has a daughter by another woman (we didn't have children). His daughter receives his SSI benefit until she graduates from HS in 3yrs. My question is am I eligible to receive SSI now or later at retirement age?

By Johanna

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
September 28, 20140 found this helpful

Depends on how much or how long he paid into it, and how long you were married. You need to contact your local social security office and ask them.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
September 30, 20140 found this helpful

Since you apparently are in good health and only 34 years old I can see no reason for you to expect benefits any sooner than "regular" people which usually start at 65-66 years of age.

I also do not believe you can draw from his SSI benefits but you may be able to draw from his regular SS benefits if he had any, (after you reach 65-66 years of age).

Benefits for children (and their caretakers) are entirely different than benefits for healthy adults.

You can get answers to all your questions at your local SS office but not usually over the telephone.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
September 30, 20140 found this helpful

Hi - I reread my answer to your question and it sounds like I am "scolding" you and that was not my intention.

In my work I am so used to stating the "facts" that I sometimes forget that I am replying to "humans" when answering questions on this site.

Please accept my apologies if I offended you with my answer.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
October 8, 20140 found this helpful

Doesn't this have to do with widow benefits? - completely unrelated to dependent benefits. Shouldn't somebody be able to help a widow?

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

0 found this helpful
July 16, 2015 Flag

Can a mother's children still get SI payments from their father even if she makes $60,000-$70,000 a year?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
July 16, 20150 found this helpful

Only the Social Security Administration can answer your question. You can make an appointment at your local SSA and bring copies of all pertinent papers.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
July 18, 20150 found this helpful

Probably not, they will count your income until your child with a disability turns 18. At that point they don't. They count 2/3 of any child support you receive for the child, minus $20. The maximum payment amount is $733 currently, and if your income, including child support among other things exceeds this amount (s)he wouldn't be eligible for SSI. In my opinion you are just being greedy.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

0 found this helpful
March 13, 2015 Flag

My ex-husband gets SSI and got a check for my 16 year son too. My son only lived with him for only 6 months and came back to live with me, but my ex-husband is keeping my son's checks. What can I do?

By Maria R

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
March 13, 20150 found this helpful

Call or visit your local Social Security office as only they can help you.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
March 15, 20150 found this helpful

Only the Social Security office can help you.

Perhaps your son could go with you.

Benefits like this are usually paid to the guardian and not directly to the child. Does your divorce give you custody or is it "dual" custody?

Sometimes cases like this can be stalled over a legal issue but if you try to file a case you may/will be paid "back benefits" if it is settled in your favor. You will most likely NOT receive any money your ex-husband has already received or will receive while you wait around.

Go to your SS office and file so you will know where you and your son stand. Benefits may not be available for very long as your son is already 16 which means SS can discontinue checks at any time although usually they continue until 18 years of age (or 19 if the child is still in school).

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

0 found this helpful
November 23, 2014 Flag

My question is about transferring an underage child's check from one payee to another. Can my husband transfer his daughter's SSI check to his name instead of her grandmother's now that she lives with us in another state? If so how?

By Rosanna

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
November 25, 20140 found this helpful

Your first stop for correct information is your local Social security office. Be sure to take any information - especially SS numbers.

You may not be able to obtain any personal information but you may be able to file so you can receive information on what steps to take to get this change completed.

The child's grandmother - her legal guardian - can also get this information.

I guess the first question would be - why does the grandmother have legal guardianship of the the child? Has the grandmother agreed to the change for the child?

In any case - I feel sure the father will have to go through the court to obtain legal status as guardian to the child. If you cannot afford to use an attorney for this purpose, you can pay a visit to your court house and obtain information on how to apply to the court yourself.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Business and Legal Legal General AdviceSeptember 22, 2014
Last will and testament document.
Does Receiving Inheritance Affect SSI?
Social Security Survivor Benefits
Receiving Social Security Survivor Benefits
Social Security Disability Form
Receiving Social Security Disability Benefits
A woman looking at her medical bills.
New Era Medicare Supplemental Insurance Reviews
Mother's Day Ideas!
Easter Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 3:21:03 AM on in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.
Loading Something Awesome!