Eligibility for SSI?

I am 66 years old. I am divorced. I live with my boyfriend. I received a letter from Social Security saying I may be able to get SSI. My boyfriend and I pay our own bills. Our money is separate. I buy the groceries instead of rent. Am I eligible? I live in Ohio?


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
September 22, 20170 found this helpful

There could be several reasons for this decision.

  • There are income limits that might disqualify you for SSI.
  • You are only eligible for SSI if your income falls under the limit of the SSI program.
  • Your boyfriend income could affect your income qualifications for SSI.
  • If you have too many assists you might not be eligible for SSI.
  • The only way to find out why you are not eligible for SSI is to make an appoint and see a person who works in the office. They would be able to tell you why you can't qualify for SSI benefits.
Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 433 Posts
September 22, 20170 found this helpful
  • If you were born in 1929 or later you need to have worked at least 10 years.
  • If you stop work before this you will not get your benefit.
  • If you are disabled and can prove a need for SSI meaning you have low income or none at all.
  • Advertisement

  • If you have less than 2000 dollars in assets you may qualify.
  • You need to be at least 62 and worked for 10 years.
Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,246 Posts
September 22, 20170 found this helpful

In general, the income limit for SSI is the Federal Benefit Rate (FBR), which is $735 per month for an individual and $1,103 per month for a couple in 2017. Remember, though, that not all income is countable, and so you can earn more than $735 per month and still qualify for SSI.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
September 23, 20170 found this helpful

You do not say if you are currently working or if you are receiving any kind of benefits - where does your money for your share of living expenses come from?


  • Are you disabled?
  • Are you eligible for regular SS benefits from your life time earnings or from your divorced husbands past earnings?
  • You cannot draw more than one benefit check from Social Security so your best answer would be to go in person to your SS office and make an application so they can check to see what your best choice would be. They have information but you would have to have SS numbers.
  • Here is a link that has a place to complete a form and it will tell you is you qualify for SSI.

The most important thing to remember is to be very honest in all dealings with the SSA.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Business and Legal Legal General AdviceSeptember 22, 2017
Birthday Ideas!
Halloween Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2022-09-19 06:11:46 in 2 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.