Browsing: Recipes Using Summer Sausage

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Recipes Using Summer Sausage

Summer sausage is a delicious addition to many recipes. This page contains recipes using summer sausage.

Knife Cutting Summer Sausage
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 17, 2011 Flag

These are great to dollop with your favorite cheese topping or for dipping.

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 2, 2009 Flag

Does anyone have any recipes to use a big Hickory Farms summer sausage? Thanks.

By ralphed from Middletown, NY

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We like it in hash. Just fry some onion, potato, and add finely chopped summer sausage. I put it in beans when I cook them in the crock pot. I use it in a breakfast bake. Just lay slices of bread in a baking dish. Layer on some thin slices of sausage and pour on enough beaten milk and egg mixture to cover. Bake 350 till eggs are set. You can even use it in soups.

I have one that I need to use too. Thanks for the suggestions.

You could make Sausage Stew in the crockpot. My family loves this, and the sausage seasons the stew so well that you don't need to add other seasoning to it. You can if you want, but we don't.

Sausage Stew

1-2 lb smoked sausage, cut into chunks

4-6 med. potatoes, cut into chunks

1 small bag baby carrots

1 med. onion, cut into chunks

1-2 stalks celery, optional

water

flour to thicken

Put chunked sausage, potatoes, baby carrots, onion, and celery (if desired) into crock pot. Add water until 3 inches from top of crockpot. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours (until potatoes are done), or on HIGH 5 hours. When done, use flour to thicken to your liking.

Hi! new here, and I was wondering what I could do with hickory farms summer sausage (you know, the little ones everyone gets for christmas, lol). Your recipe calls for smoked sausage. Can I use summer sausage instead?

Read More Answers...

January 22, 2012 Flag

We got a 26 ounce beef summer sausage for Christmas and I wasn't sure if there is a way to eat this besides snack food? I know it is good to eat with cheese and crackers or kind of like beef jerky, but do people sometimes slice it up and put it in entrees?

It's more than we can eat, I may just take it to my office with some cheese and crackers for folks to enjoy, but I wanted to ask first. It's supposed to be good for a week. I don't think we could eat this in just a week if we were only eating 2-3 slices a day as a snack. I know I am over-thinking this.

By Janice C.

You could cut it into sections and freeze them for later use. Try using it like you would make a grilled cheese sandwich, or you could even add a slice of cheese if you wanted to. Try using some of it on a homemade pizza. I would think that would work as well as some of the other meats that pizza places are using now. But for using in a week, your best bet would probably be to share it at work, or dividing it up and freezing it. I always have several packages of sandwich meat in my freezer in case of a power outage.

You can dice and use in a pasta dish or in soup. You can also try this recipe and refrigerate some of them and freeze the rest for future snacks:

Summer Sausage Crisps

These are great to dollop with your favorite cheese topping or for dipping. Some tasty seasoning ideas for these crisps are cayenne powder, garlic powder, lemon pepper, onion powder or just about any seasoning mix such as Creole, Greek or Italian.

Summer sausage, sliced no more than 1/4 inch thick

1/2 tsp per oz of sausage of your seasoning choice

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Lay the slices in a single layer on a baking sheet, evenly sprinkle with seasoning and bake for about 8 minutes.

Remove from the oven and press the chips with cloth or paper towels to soak up any grease, return to oven and continue to bake until the slices are very crispy, about 2 to 6 minutes, cool and place in an airtight container.

You can make a breakfast sandwich out of it slice 4 pieces of it heat it in a pan or microwave and then toast some bread. Make a egg and put cheese all on the sandwich that's what we do or if you don't think you can use it up cut off what you would in that week and then put the rest in the freezer it can keep well in there till you use it again!

Food and Recipes Recipes Meats SausageOctober 18, 2012
Sausage Pizza
Sausage Pizza Recipes
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Hot Italian Sausage
Recipes Using Italian Sausage
Baby mummy suasage appetizers.
Baby Mummy Sausage Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 24, 2016 at 2:04:18 AM on 10.0.0.240 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.