Recipes for Feeding People at a Homeless Shelter

I am looking for recipes that are easy to prepare and can serve approximately 50 people. I have a youth group that is going to be cooking meals at a homeless shelter.

By Julie from Ottumwa, IA

Answers:

I cook for about 25-30 people at my local senior center. This month I made a turkey bake. I layered stuffing on the bottom, topped with green beans, sliced turkey, gravy and then garlic/cheese mashed potatoes sprinkled with additional cheddar cheese. Then I baked it at 400 degrees until the cheese was browned.

This was a cooking class which was based on what to do with leftover turkey. I made two very large baking dishes filled to capacity. I had about 25 people eating and we had almost an entire pan left over. (11/23/2009)

By pcheflm

As a post note, I did put the recipe for the turkey casserole on my blog at www.pcheflm.blogspot.com. I hope you enjoy it! The seniors loved it! (11/23/2009)

By pcheflm

Here is a recipe for 96
Takes about 20 minutes to prepare and 1.5 hours to cook

Sloppy Joes for 8 Dozen

• 15lbs beef
  • 6 med onions chopped
  • 1 gallon ketchup
  • 3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup prepared yellow mustard
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 96 hamburger buns, split

In two soup kettles over med heat, cook and stir beef and onions until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, Worcestershire, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered, for 1 hour to allow flavors to blend. Spoon 1/3 cup onto each bun. (11/23/2009)

By Suntydt

This is a good dinner by itself, but would make a good breakfast meal as well.

Hash Brown Casserole

• 2 lbs. country sausage (hot, mild or other; preference)
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 can (10 3/4 oz) cream of chicken soup
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 (80z) container of French onion dip
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 1/4 cup each green and red bell pepper
  • salt and pepper to taste (we found it to be salty so be sparing on salt)
  • 1 (30oz) package frozen hash brown shredded potatoes, thawed

In a skillet, cook the sausage until brown. Drain well. In a huge mixing bowl, combine the cheese, chicken soup, sour cream, French onion dip, chopped onion, bell peppers, salt and pepper. Fold in thawed hash brown potatoes. Mix well.

Spread 1/2 of the hash brown mixture over the bottom of a 9x13 inch greased baking dish. Spread 1/2 of the browned sausage over hash browns. Repeat layering second 1/2 of hash brown mixture. Top with remaining sausage. Bake at 350 degrees for about one hour or until casserole is golden brown.

Servings: Serves 9 to 12 depending on portion size.
Optional: Serve with scrambled eggs to make more servings.

Helpful Hints

• Make it easy: prepare casserole ahead of time, cool and freeze. When ready to serve simply that and reheat in oven.
  • Make it zesty: substitute a container of jalapeno cheese dip for one cup cheddar cheese.
  • Make it lighter: substitute 1 cup of non-fat or low-fat plain yogurt in place of sour cream.
  • Make it personal: bake casserole in muffin tins. Let muffins cool, then freeze until ready to use. When ready to serve, simply thaw and reheat in the oven.

Note - mother had it with a fried egg on top and loved it. (11/23/2009)

By Suntydt

Talking that last recipe over with my mom we both agreed on the following. Add cooked chicken, chopped up (cooked in like a slow cooker or whatever is easier for you). This would increase serving portions. Put it with the sausage when you put the casserole together. (11/23/2009)

By Suntydt

This can be assembled on site. Just don't forget the can opener. Take one or 2 very large cans of whole kernel corn, a pack or two of frozen onion and bell pepper seasoning mix, some parsley and some Italian dressing. Put the corn and seasonings in a large bowl, mix and pour the salad dressing over it. (11/23/2009)

By Frazzled Leslie

A great casserole that I have had consists of: a layer of cooked turkey in the casserole dish, some veggies of your choice, the gravy poured over and this is all topped with biscuit mix that has cranberries added to it. Everything is cooked already except the biscuit topping, so it's just a matter of heating it through and getting the biscuits fluffy and golden.

With ham, mum used to make scalloped potatoes with slices/pieces of ham, all layered with cooked onions and topped with cheese in a casserole dish. Good luck with it and good for you for doing something like this!

Julie (11/23/2009)

By Sundays Child

A good one is cheeseburger macaroni. 50 people:

• approx 12 lbs of hamburger
  • 6 lbs of macaroni
  • approx 6 lbs of Velveeta or generic like cheese
  • approx 1 to 2 lbs butter
  • half gallon of milk
    <l>salt and pepper

You make it to taste, there is no wrong way to make it. You can add onions and mushrooms, you can make it stove top or bake it with a crushed cracker topping. Our kids were so picky we just made it straight. Very filling meal. (11/24/2009)

By Nelliebell

Good question. Need info. myself.

Don't have McDonald's money everyday, so DIY OJT as I go along...

Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Young Homeless Girl
Helping the Homeless
Feeding Puppies
Feeding Puppies
blessing bags for the homeless
Making Blessing Bags for the Homeless
🎉
🎄