Returning a Dog to the Shelter

Considering returning a dog to the shelter can be distressing. There are good reasons that require rehoming a pet. If you must take your dog back, check to find a "no kill" shelter. Perhaps as an alternative, a good friend may be looking for a loving pet.

I have a dog that sheds hair and with our new grandbaby, she is always sneezing. I want to know if can we give him back to the shelter without him being put to sleep?

Answers

Best Answer

Please try finding a good home for your dog before you resort to taking it to a shelter. If you can't find a home for it, check to see if a rescue group or the Humane Society in your area will take it. Be sure to ask if a shelter is a no-kill shelter before surrendering your pet.

Best Answer

These situations just break my heart. I wish I could convince you of all of the benefits of a dog in the family, but if the child is allergic, I do understand that a health concern takes priority.

I feel bad that you are going through this but my heart truly goes out to the pup who is an innocent in this situation. I strongly urge you to find a private home of someone you know and trust who can take the pup.

Ask everyone that YOU PERSONALLY know and be sure to interview the candidates and know about the circumstances. If the pup is good with kids for example, then you can tell them that or if the pup hates cats, you can share that also.

Never, ever, ever, offer the dog for free on any website or through any social media. I don't even like the friends of friends of friends route unless you know the situation and inspect the home and interview the people.

Too often dogs that are "rehomed" end up in the wrong hands and used as bait for dog fighting or sold to research facilities. These are not just internet rumors.

Shelters are all overcrowded and even owner surrender pets sometimes are euthanized. I know there are no kill shelters, but I have heard stories from people on the inside of these and even the no kill shelters have situations where dogs are euthanized.

Is the dog a pure breed? There are reputable dog sanctuaries/rescues in most every town for most every breed.

What town are you located? I know people in several cities and if you share where you are and the type of dog, I can see if any of my contacts can help place the dog in a GOOD home.

Talk to your vet and ask him/her for help in rehoming. Vets are often the best resource.

Please post back with an update.

Best Answer

Very good advice from pghgirl40. Avoid Craigs list. Predators work that list daily for animals for very bad purposes. The shelter may take your dog back. But be sure it is a no kill shelter. Look in your area for dog rescues and talk to some of them. Placing the dog yourself is best and avoids a lot of stress and confusion for the dog.

Best Answer

If the dog was up for adoption then there is a good chance they will still place him up again. Some cities/counties have no-kill shelters so check that out first.

Use Google with dog rescue with your zip code and see if names of rescue facilities come up. Usually there will be 8-10 so hopefully your area will have several as some may be up to their capacity and cannot take anymore.

These shelters will charge a fee to take an animal to help cover a small part of their food and shelter cost. Usually less than $50 but some may be less or none.

Check your Humane Society web site to see if they are no-kill and if not then you can call them and tell them about your problem and ask what will happen to this dog if you take it back.

PetSmart is a very good place to ask about finding a home for your dog as this store is very involved in animal rescue. Maybe you should talk to someone at their store first.

Pets Dogs AdviceSeptember 26, 2019
🎃