Recycled Birdhouse Ideas

Recycled materials are often a great source of supplies for making a birdhouse for your garden. This is a guide about recycled birdhouse ideas.

June 15, 2007 Flag

This birdhouse was made with a recycled porch post. You could purchase a new one at your local home improvement store or search garage sales, etc. for one.

By Denise from NE

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 7 Comments

October 5, 2009 Flag

An easy to make and easy to clean out birdhouse. Just undo the laces to clean it out. The boot was thrown in the trash and I rescued it. Screwed the board to the sole, added the roof made of flashing and a raffia shoelace. I love it and so did a Carolina Chickadee family this year.

Source: I saw one for sale on Etsy and made my own.

By Irisbird from Lillington, NC

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 6 Comments

September 27, 2007 Flag

I took an empty coffee can, painted it orange then sponged another layer of a different shade of orange to look like stripes on the body. The face was cut out of wood scrap with a hole cut out for the mouth and then I stapled the plastic lid to the wood. I painted a face to match the body. I used L-brackets to attach a string to the top to hang the bird house. The tail is cut from foam and painted to match the body. The colors could be painted to suit your taste. I hung mine out in my yard and it has a nest inside. To clean out the bird house, just take the lid off, clean then put the lid back on.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 7 Comments

November 11, 2010 Flag

You can make decorative birdhouses, using 2 or 3 large recycled empty oatmeal containers.

Decorative birdhouse made from oatmeal containers.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 5, 2005 Flag

I made this bird feeder from a juicy juice container. All I did was cut out the holes in the side (hot glue around the sharp edges) and some holes for the string (nylon) and the dowel rods. Paint it with acrylic paints that are waterproof.

Juice Bottle Bird House

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 31, 2013 Flag

Use an old cowboy boot to repurpose as either an indoor or outdoor birdhouse. It is set up with wooden shelves ready for a nest.

Cowboy boot used to make birdhouse.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 7, 2005 Flag

This is an idea for a gift or a Christmas, or all year decoration. It is a good way to recycle those latte containers. Rinse out the cup and lid, and turn upside down to dry or gently dry with a paper towel, use a safe knife to cut out a round hole in the middle of the cup, like a birdhouse.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 14, 2008 Flag

Could an empty 2 pound plastic coffee container be used to make a bird house? How could I do it?

Judy R. from LeRoy, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Instead of painting the plastic containers, I use an indoor-safe paint stripper to remove the "labels". Just brush on a thin coat, wait a few minutes and then wipe off with paper towel, followed by a hot soapy wash.

A paint called Gripper is one of the greatest inventions on the planet. Glidden makes it. Put gripper on anything and you create a surface you can paint on. Lisa

Here's my ladybug birdhouse. The only mistake I made was putting the hole too high. I will fix it, make it about two inches from the bottom of the can so the babies can hop out easily. I like to be able to pop open the bottom and use that for clean out.

May 15, 2008 Flag

I am looking for ideas on how to make tin can birdhouses.

Kay

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just a THOUGHT cause I don't KNOW...would cans possibly be too hot for baby birds? If not, I'd like to try that idea, too.

Please don't use tin cans or any other metal to make bird houses, unless they're just for decorative purposes. I read recently that many baby birds die from suffocation and literally "bake" to death inside metal bird houses. The metal heats up in the sun and becomes incredibly hot - both inside temperature and to the touch. Wood or other non-conductive porous materials are best and safest for the birds :-)

I would also think tin birdhouses that were not for decorative purposes only would be much too hot for actual birds to nest in.""

May 8, 2011 Flag

My husband is on social security and unable to work. He has taken up bird watching, and would like to know an inexpensive way to build bird houses, not necessarily of wood.

By Nancy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know of any other way to build a bird house that would withstand the weather if it's not constructed out of wood.

http://www.ehow  d-birdhouse.html

To save money on building materials look for scrap wood along side of the road that people throw out along with their garbage. You might be able to get FREE scraps from lumber yards. Maybe others will post more ideas.

When you see construction being done, a building, house, or anything where wood is used just stop by and load up scraps. Always ask first but this saves the builder from paying someone to haul it away.

You can pretty much turn anything into a birdhouse, as long as it has drainage holes, a hole for them to enter and can be hung or fastened to a wall. I have seen cowboy boots, an old purse, a teapot hung from its bottom so it was on its side with the cover tilted over the top opening and glued, plastic containers (milk jugs, juice bottles, takeout containers) embellished and then painted (I've seen a trailer made from a takeout container), dried gourds, coffee cans (shade), PVC pipe ... the list goes on. Some good tips to remember when choosing materials:

* Does it contain toxic material that could harm the birds (like pressure treated wood with arsenic or something you can't clean out well enough)?

* Will the material deteriorate quickly (like a cardboard)?

* Does it have sharp edges?

* Will it get too hot inside (like cans which should only be used in the shade)?

* Once together, will you be able to clean it out?

July 13, 2007 Flag

Does anyone know how to make a bleach bottle birdhouse with mortar and rocks on the outside?

Mavis from hometown Michigan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try the Pack-0-Fun website at www.packofun.com or Google it. I would think that the best way to add stones and mortar would be airdry gray clay and regular stones. Prepare the outside of the house by sanding in all directions so there will be a tooth for the clay. Glue stones on in a pleasing pattern with hot glue leaving spaces between. Knead the clay until soft and just fill in the cracks or try window putty for something that would probably do better outside.

Plastic is porous and would retain some of the bleach, so I don't know if a bleach bottle is a good thing to be used for a birdhouse, or anything else. I personally would not reuse a bleach bottle due to the toxicity of bleach. Just my 2 1/2 cents!

December 3, 2004 Flag

Does anyone know how to make a birdhouse wind spinner where you cut the sides of a soda bottle in several places, string fishing line up through the bottom. It has an artificial bird through the fishing line and when the wind makes it spin the bird almost sounds like it's chirping? i saw one a long time ago and would love to make one, please help.

Tammy in Florida

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I did a google search and found this -- http://www.npwr  nds/twoliter.htm

Here is the direct link for the google search: http://www.goog  ird+feeder+liter

Hope this helps! :)

Have fun feeding those birdies!

i've been looking for the how-to of this project too, with no luck, so if you find some instructions, please share :)

kkitty1@yahoo.com

August 10, 2004 Flag

Can any one provide detailed instructions for making a bird house out of plastic laundry detergent bottles?

Elizabeth Jane, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Make a Bird House - Turn the bottle on its side. Cut little windows/doors high up on the sides. Paint or cover the bottle with fabric. Hang from tree branches for birds to nest in.I found this at Make-Stuff.com

Gallon detergent bottles-Place with mouth of bottle faceing to the front-Hang from handle on top-For small birds leave in pouring spout-For large birds take out by pulling with pliers.

Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesNovember 7, 2012
Birdhouse made from gourds.
Making a Gourd Birdhouse
Handmade wine cork corkboard
Recycled Wine Cork Bulletin Board
How To Recycle Paper
Making Recycled Paper
A woman stand in a room built using recycled windows.
Building with Recycled Windows
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 21, 2017 at 2:25:39 AM on 10.0.1.120 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.