Browsing: Recycled Birdhouse Ideas

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Recycled Birdhouse Ideas

Recycled materials are often a great source of supplies for making a birdhouse for your garden. This is a guide about recycled birdhouse ideas.

Homemade Birdhouse
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 15, 2007 Flag

This birdhouse was made with a recycled porch post. You could purchase a new one at your local home improvement store or search garage sales, etc. for one.

By Denise from NE

Recycled_Birdhouse289x300.jpg Recycled_Birdhouse289x300.jpg

October 5, 2009 Flag

A birdhouse made from a shoeAn easy to make and easy to clean out birdhouse. Just undo the laces to clean it out. The boot was thrown in the trash and I rescued it. Screwed the board to the sole, added the roof made of flashing and a raffia shoelace. I love it and so did a Carolina Chickadee family this year.

Source: I saw one for sale on Etsy and made my own.

By Irisbird from Lillington, NC

September 27, 2007 Flag

Coffee Can Bird HouseI took an empty coffee can, painted it orange then sponged another layer of a different shade of orange to look like stripes on the body. The face was cut out of wood scrap with a hole cut out for the mouth and then I stapled the plastic lid to the wood. I painted a face to match the body. I used L-brackets to attach a string to the top to hang the bird house. The tail is cut from foam and painted to match the body. The colors could be painted to suit your taste. I hung mine out in my yard and it has a nest inside. To clean out the bird house, just take the lid off, clean then put the lid back on.

May 5, 2005 Flag

I made this bird feeder from a juicy juice container. All I did was cut out the holes in the side (hot glue around the sharp edges) and some holes for the string (nylon) and the dowel rods. Paint it with acrylic paints that are waterproof.

Juice Bottle Bird House

January 31, 2013 Flag

Use an old cowboy boot to repurpose as either an indoor or outdoor birdhouse. It is set up with wooden shelves ready for a nest. The dollar store hat covers the top to ward off rain. I used a sand paint that comes in a spray can to cover the old boot for a more natural look. A few screws, wood scraps, rope piece, sand paint, and foam rubber hat makes a great addition to your country decor. You can see the before and after boot in this photo.

Cowboy boot used to make birdhouse.

February 14, 2008 Flag

Could an empty 2 pound plastic coffee container be used to make a bird house? How could I do it?

Judy R. from LeRoy, NY

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Instead of painting the plastic containers, I use an indoor-safe paint stripper to remove the "labels". Just brush on a thin coat, wait a few minutes and then wipe off with paper towel, followed by a hot soapy wash.

A paint called Gripper is one of the greatest inventions on the planet. Glidden makes it. Put gripper on anything and you create a surface you can paint on. Lisa

Here's my ladybug birdhouse. The only mistake I made was putting the hole too high. I will fix it, make it about two inches from the bottom of the can so the babies can hop out easily. I like to be able to pop open the bottom and use that for clean out.

here is another pic. The front came from a thrift store but could be easily made with a jigsaw and a dremel for the detail

May 15, 2008 Flag

I am looking for ideas on how to make tin can birdhouses.

Kay

Just a THOUGHT cause I don't KNOW...would cans possibly be too hot for baby birds? If not, I'd like to try that idea, too.

Please don't use tin cans or any other metal to make bird houses, unless they're just for decorative purposes. I read recently that many baby birds die from suffocation and literally "bake" to death inside metal bird houses. The metal heats up in the sun and becomes incredibly hot - both inside temperature and to the touch. Wood or other non-conductive porous materials are best and safest for the birds :-)

I would also think tin birdhouses that were not for decorative purposes only would be much too hot for actual birds to nest in.""

Please please don't re-use empty cans for any reason. Nearly all cans nowadays have a toxic plastic material called Bisphenol A (BPA) inside them to keep the metal can from affecting the taste of the food. Unfortunately the BPA is the same as has been used to make baby bottles and many other hard plastic water bottles.

BPA has been linked to breast cancer and early puberty in women and when they tested very low doses on mice and rats they found the same plus diabetes, enlarged prostate and prostate cells prone to cancerous changes among the many health problems it can cause. The food that is in these cans is also contaminated by the BPA. Google BPA or check out Wikipedia's BPA page and it will make you not want to eat anything in cans anymore, period.

Of course the chemical companies all say that the fears are unjustified just because a few rats and mice get sick doesn't mean anything. Sound like Big Tobacco some 20-30 years ago, huh? When the can is heated by the sun it could release up to 50 times more BPA than normally released into the area inside the can. I'm sure a baby bird (not to mention the momma bird) is at least as sensitive as a rat or a mouse and wouldn't want to be responsible for harming any creature with our chemical waste more than is already being done in our dump sites and polluted waterways.

May 8, 2011 Flag

My husband is on social security and unable to work. He has taken up bird watching, and would like to know an inexpensive way to build bird houses, not necessarily of wood.

By Nancy

I don't know of any other way to build a bird house that would withstand the weather if it's not constructed out of wood.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4756876_build-birdhouse.html

To save money on building materials look for scrap wood along side of the road that people throw out along with their garbage. You might be able to get FREE scraps from lumber yards. Maybe others will post more ideas.

When you see construction being done, a building, house, or anything where wood is used just stop by and load up scraps. Always ask first but this saves the builder from paying someone to haul it away.

You can pretty much turn anything into a birdhouse, as long as it has drainage holes, a hole for them to enter and can be hung or fastened to a wall. I have seen cowboy boots, an old purse, a teapot hung from its bottom so it was on its side with the cover tilted over the top opening and glued, plastic containers (milk jugs, juice bottles, takeout containers) embellished and then painted (I've seen a trailer made from a takeout container), dried gourds, coffee cans (shade), PVC pipe ... the list goes on. Some good tips to remember when choosing materials:

* Does it contain toxic material that could harm the birds (like pressure treated wood with arsenic or something you can't clean out well enough)?

* Will the material deteriorate quickly (like a cardboard)?

* Does it have sharp edges?

* Will it get too hot inside (like cans which should only be used in the shade)?

* Once together, will you be able to clean it out?

December 7, 2005 Flag

This is an idea for a gift or a Christmas, or all year decoration. It is a good way to recycle those latte containers. Rinse out the cup and lid, and turn upside down to dry or gently dry with a paper towel, use a safe knife to cut out a round hole in the middle of the cup, like a birdhouse.

Load More
Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesNovember 7, 2012
Birdhouse made from gourds.
Making a Gourd Birdhouse
Handmade wine cork corkboard
Recycled Wine Cork Bulletin Board
How To Recycle Paper
Making Recycled Paper
A woman stand in a room built using recycled windows.
Building with Recycled Windows
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 15, 2016 at 6:55:56 PM on 10.0.0.156 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.