Recycled Birdhouse Ideas

Recycled materials are often a great source of supplies for making a birdhouse for your garden. This is a guide about recycled birdhouse ideas.

This birdhouse was made with a recycled porch post. You could purchase a new one at your local home improvement store or search garage sales, etc. for one.

By Denise from NE

It looks beautiful with the landscaping. I love the porch post idea. Gave you a thumbs up. I have 3 bird houses that are made from recycled fencing. One is a church, one has Mexican looks and one is just a little house. I have painted them and and they add interest and color. The little house has nested countless babies for years.

I took an empty coffee can, painted it orange then sponged another layer of a different shade of orange to look like stripes on the body. The face was cut out of wood scrap with a hole cut out for the mouth and then I stapled the plastic lid to the wood. I painted a face to match the body. I used L-brackets to attach a string to the top to hang the bird house. The tail is cut from foam and painted to match the body. The colors could be painted to suit your taste. I hung mine out in my yard and it has a nest inside. To clean out the bird house, just take the lid off, clean then put the lid back on.

This was a great post. I kept saving all my coffee cans, because really I'm a pack rat. I hate to dispose of anything. I saw this and pulled out my cans made 2 yesterday; one is a fall bird feeder painted it in fall colors then I glued fall colored leaves and a gold trim ribbon, finished with a protective coat. The other was a clemson bird feeder the top of the can I cut from wood was a tiger paw turned out really cute. Thanks for the idea.

I made this bird feeder from a juicy juice container. All I did was cut out the holes in the side (hot glue around the sharp edges) and some holes for the string (nylon) and the dowel rods. Paint it with acrylic paints that are waterproof.

I've had it outside now for a few weeks and needless to say, its a bird house now. A few days ago a bird started to build a nest in it. It seems to enjoy the bright colored paint on the outside. Hopefully we'll have babies soon!

I'm glad the birds enjoy it. I save all of my juice jugs now and make either feeders or houses - whatever the bird chooses.

Dana Sipe

Great project. I also created a bird feeder from recycled bottles. The design is different but still simple to construct. You can check it out here:

http://diyspiri  ck-easy-project/

This is an idea for a gift or a Christmas, or all year decoration. It is a good way to recycle those latte containers. Rinse out the cup and lid, and turn upside down to dry or gently dry with a paper towel, use a safe knife to cut out a round hole in the middle of the cup, like a birdhouse.

My husband is on social security and unable to work. He has taken up bird watching, and would like to know an inexpensive way to build bird houses, not necessarily of wood.

By Nancy

I don't know of any other way to build a bird house that would withstand the weather if it's not constructed out of wood.

http://www.ehow  d-birdhouse.html

To save money on building materials look for scrap wood along side of the road that people throw out along with their garbage. You might be able to get FREE scraps from lumber yards. Maybe others will post more ideas.

When you see construction being done, a building, house, or anything where wood is used just stop by and load up scraps. Always ask first but this saves the builder from paying someone to haul it away.

You can pretty much turn anything into a birdhouse, as long as it has drainage holes, a hole for them to enter and can be hung or fastened to a wall. I have seen cowboy boots, an old purse, a teapot hung from its bottom so it was on its side with the cover tilted over the top opening and glued, plastic containers (milk jugs, juice bottles, takeout containers) embellished and then painted (I've seen a trailer made from a takeout container), dried gourds, coffee cans (shade), PVC pipe ... the list goes on. Some good tips to remember when choosing materials:

* Does it contain toxic material that could harm the birds (like pressure treated wood with arsenic or something you can't clean out well enough)?

* Will the material deteriorate quickly (like a cardboard)?

* Does it have sharp edges?

* Will it get too hot inside (like cans which should only be used in the shade)?

* Once together, will you be able to clean it out?

Does anyone know how to make a bleach bottle birdhouse with mortar and rocks on the outside?

Mavis from hometown Michigan

Try the Pack-0-Fun website at www.packofun.com or Google it. I would think that the best way to add stones and mortar would be airdry gray clay and regular stones. Prepare the outside of the house by sanding in all directions so there will be a tooth for the clay. Glue stones on in a pleasing pattern with hot glue leaving spaces between. Knead the clay until soft and just fill in the cracks or try window putty for something that would probably do better outside.

Plastic is porous and would retain some of the bleach, so I don't know if a bleach bottle is a good thing to be used for a birdhouse, or anything else. I personally would not reuse a bleach bottle due to the toxicity of bleach. Just my 2 1/2 cents!

Does anyone know how to make a birdhouse wind spinner where you cut the sides of a soda bottle in several places, string fishing line up through the bottom. It has an artificial bird through the fishing line and when the wind makes it spin the bird almost sounds like it's chirping? i saw one a long time ago and would love to make one, please help.

Tammy in Florida

I did a google search and found this -- http://www.npwr  nds/twoliter.htm

Here is the direct link for the google search: http://www.goog  ird+feeder+liter

Hope this helps! :)

Have fun feeding those birdies!

i've been looking for the how-to of this project too, with no luck, so if you find some instructions, please share :)

kkitty1@yahoo.com