Recycled Birdhouse Ideas

Recycled materials are often a great source of supplies for making a birdhouse for your garden. This is a guide about recycled birdhouse ideas.

June 15, 2007 Flag

This birdhouse was made with a recycled porch post. You could purchase a new one at your local home improvement store or search garage sales, etc. for one.

By Denise from NE

Love the birdhouse idea. I'm retiring in a couple of years and have just started a crafting community.

Would love to get permission to post your birdhouse.

My e-mail is jogebczyk@yahoo.com

E-mail me and I will email you my site so you can look it over.

JoAnn

What a beautiful birdhouse you have made. Also, your back yard is so meticulously kept.

You so deserve to win this contest.

It looks beautiful with the landscaping. I love the porch post idea. Gave you a thumbs up. I have 3 bird houses that are made from recycled fencing. One is a church, one has Mexican looks and one is just a little house. I have painted them and and they add interest and color. The little house has nested countless babies for years.

October 5, 2009 Flag

An easy to make and easy to clean out birdhouse. Just undo the laces to clean it out. The boot was thrown in the trash and I rescued it. Screwed the board to the sole, added the roof made of flashing and a raffia shoelace.

A birdhouse made from a shoe

September 27, 2007 Flag

I took an empty coffee can, painted it orange then sponged another layer of a different shade of orange to look like stripes on the body. The face was cut out of wood scrap with a hole cut out for the mouth and then I stapled the plastic lid to the wood. I painted a face to match the body. I used L-brackets to attach a string to the top to hang the bird house. The tail is cut from foam and painted to match the body. The colors could be painted to suit your taste. I hung mine out in my yard and it has a nest inside. To clean out the bird house, just take the lid off, clean then put the lid back on.

How cute! I may try this myself!

Absolutely love your clever idea, made me chuckle too, a cat`s mouth for the birds, how cute. Bet you could make more and sell them as well. Linda Jonson

This was a great post. I kept saving all my coffee cans, because really I'm a pack rat. I hate to dispose of anything. I saw this and pulled out my cans made 2 yesterday; one is a fall bird feeder painted it in fall colors then I glued fall colored leaves and a gold trim ribbon, finished with a protective coat. The other was a clemson bird feeder the top of the can I cut from wood was a tiger paw turned out really cute. Thanks for the idea.

November 11, 2010 Flag

You can make decorative birdhouses, using 2 or 3 large recycled empty oatmeal containers.

Decorative birdhouse made from oatmeal containers.

May 5, 2005 Flag

I made this bird feeder from a juicy juice container. All I did was cut out the holes in the side (hot glue around the sharp edges) and some holes for the string (nylon) and the dowel rods. Paint it with acrylic paints that are waterproof.

Juice Bottle Bird House

January 31, 2013 Flag

Use an old cowboy boot to repurpose as either an indoor or outdoor birdhouse. It is set up with wooden shelves ready for a nest.

Cowboy boot used to make birdhouse.

February 14, 2008 Flag

Could an empty 2 pound plastic coffee container be used to make a bird house? How could I do it?

Judy R. from LeRoy, NY

Instead of painting the plastic containers, I use an indoor-safe paint stripper to remove the "labels". Just brush on a thin coat, wait a few minutes and then wipe off with paper towel, followed by a hot soapy wash.

A paint called Gripper is one of the greatest inventions on the planet. Glidden makes it. Put gripper on anything and you create a surface you can paint on. Lisa

Here's my ladybug birdhouse. The only mistake I made was putting the hole too high. I will fix it, make it about two inches from the bottom of the can so the babies can hop out easily. I like to be able to pop open the bottom and use that for clean out.

May 15, 2008 Flag

I am looking for ideas on how to make tin can birdhouses.

Kay

Just a THOUGHT cause I don't KNOW...would cans possibly be too hot for baby birds? If not, I'd like to try that idea, too.

Please don't use tin cans or any other metal to make bird houses, unless they're just for decorative purposes. I read recently that many baby birds die from suffocation and literally "bake" to death inside metal bird houses. The metal heats up in the sun and becomes incredibly hot - both inside temperature and to the touch. Wood or other non-conductive porous materials are best and safest for the birds :-)

I would also think tin birdhouses that were not for decorative purposes only would be much too hot for actual birds to nest in.""

May 8, 2011 Flag

My husband is on social security and unable to work. He has taken up bird watching, and would like to know an inexpensive way to build bird houses, not necessarily of wood.

By Nancy

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know of any other way to build a bird house that would withstand the weather if it's not constructed out of wood.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4756876_build-birdhouse.html

To save money on building materials look for scrap wood along side of the road that people throw out along with their garbage. You might be able to get FREE scraps from lumber yards. Maybe others will post more ideas.

When you see construction being done, a building, house, or anything where wood is used just stop by and load up scraps. Always ask first but this saves the builder from paying someone to haul it away.

You can pretty much turn anything into a birdhouse, as long as it has drainage holes, a hole for them to enter and can be hung or fastened to a wall. I have seen cowboy boots, an old purse, a teapot hung from its bottom so it was on its side with the cover tilted over the top opening and glued, plastic containers (milk jugs, juice bottles, takeout containers) embellished and then painted (I've seen a trailer made from a takeout container), dried gourds, coffee cans (shade), PVC pipe ... the list goes on. Some good tips to remember when choosing materials:

* Does it contain toxic material that could harm the birds (like pressure treated wood with arsenic or something you can't clean out well enough)?

* Will the material deteriorate quickly (like a cardboard)?

* Does it have sharp edges?

* Will it get too hot inside (like cans which should only be used in the shade)?

* Once together, will you be able to clean it out?

December 7, 2005 Flag

This is an idea for a gift or a Christmas, or all year decoration. It is a good way to recycle those latte containers. Rinse out the cup and lid, and turn upside down to dry or gently dry with a paper towel, use a safe knife to cut out a round hole in the middle of the cup, like a birdhouse.

Load More
Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesNovember 7, 2012
Birdhouse made from gourds.
Making a Gourd Birdhouse
Handmade wine cork corkboard
Recycled Wine Cork Bulletin Board
How To Recycle Paper
Making Recycled Paper
A woman stand in a room built using recycled windows.
Building with Recycled Windows
🎉
🎄