Remedies for Bad Breath

Bad breath is both embarrassing and can also be a symptom of poor dental hygiene. This guide contains tips and remedies for dealing with bad breath.

April 30, 2012 Flag

Dip your toothbrush in peroxide and brush to kill germs that cause bad breath. You may also gargle with peroxide but have a glass of water ready as you will want to gargle with that also. It really works. Some might have to do two to three days.

By Marie from Salmon, ID

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Another caution regarding use of peroxide in the mouth is it can cause Black Hairy Tongue and, in some cases after developing it, can lead to Thrush. Sorry to be so graphic but here is a photo:

December 12, 2016 Flag

Natural Rosemary Breath Fresheners

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about natural breath fresheners from the garden. Instead of expensive and sugary breath mints, try these common garden herbs.

February 28, 2012 Flag

First of all be sure you have your teeth cleaned on a regular basis. There is a liquid mouthwash called CloSys that I use. I can get it from my dentist, online, or at Walgreens. I developed gingivitis years ago and it never really goes away so I have to make sure I do everything I can to control it.

My dentist recommended using CloSys diligently in the morning and at bedtime after brushing to help control gingivitis because it kills the bacteria that causes it. It is also excellent for bad breath. We all know how gross and embarrassing morning breath can be so I wanted to give it a try to see if it really worked for that and WOW, I was amazed, it really did work.

Swishing it around for 30 seconds or so and be sure to gargle with it because the back part of your tongue harbors bacteria that causes bad breath. After spitting it out, DO NOT rinse with water. You can also get CloSys toothpaste (it's a bit pricey though) and use it together with the mouth washing regimen. I hope this helps you!

By Donna L. from Watauga, TX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is a great produce called Smart Mouth that does a great job of getting rid of bad breath!

July 6, 2016 Flag

Woman with disgusted expression holding her nose and holding her other hand up in front of her

This is a guide about my husband has bad breath. Telling a spouse that they have bad breath can seem difficult or even hurtful, but in the long run is a good idea from both a social and health standpoint.

August 11, 2011 Flag

Making sure your mouth is clean is an good way to combat bad breath. It will also help prevent it. Here are some tips to having a clean mouth:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 30, 2012 Flag

My young nephew's halitosis let up after his mom started using a tongue scraper on him nightly. We started using them in our family as well. Our favorite one is the Tongue Sweeper since it's metal and lasts a long time without nicking and is easily sterilized.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 29, 2012 Flag

Germs cause bad breath, as well as certain foods. Make sure all areas of your mouth are well cleaned; tongue, gums and palate. Flossing is also crucial as food gets trapped in between teeth.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 30, 2012 Flag

A product called SmartMouth really works to get rid of bad breath! It can be purchased at Wal-mart and pharmacies.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 7, 2016 Flag

Does anyone know what can I wear or do to my lips in order to get a bad smell off of them? I work in a kitchen and the heat of the oven I operate make the smell off my lips take over the whole kitchen. Please does someone know what should I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

See a Dermatologist for help with your problem.

July 7, 2009 Flag

What is good for bad breath?

By celianoyola

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Buy a good tooth brush and some tooth paste and brush your teeth three times a day and brush your tongue to this is where the bacteria builds up is on your tongue. After doing this if you still have a problem consult a doctor bad breath can also be a sign of an infection somewhere in your body.

Grow some fresh parsley. Chew a sprig a few times a day. Really works.

August 2, 2011 Flag

What must I do to get rid of my bad breath?

By Kwazi N from Elukwatini

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I switched from an expensive "professional" over-the-counter mouthwash to baking soda and water. Don't forget to gargle as well to neutralize the bad odor in your mouth.

First: Have your dentist check for tooth decay, gum disease, and coating of the tongue (there are tongue scrapers which can surprisingly eliminate some bad breath.) Secondly, get a check for stomach (digestive etc.) problems. Thirdly, are your lungs healthy? If affirmative on all these, maybe your body needs some detoxifying (cleansing of your liver and gallbladder, which can be done following a good herbal program). Toxins in our bodies can definitely cause bad breath. I hope this helps. Good luck!

April 27, 2011 Flag

I would like to know how to treat bad breath.

By Dianepegg

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had a terrible problem with this. I drink coffee constantly, am a heavy smoker, suffer from post-nasal drip, and have digestive problems. Any one of these cause bad breath. I have finally found products that completely solved my problem. However, I can't find them in stores. I only found one or two of their products in one store in my area, but not what I really needed. I have to order them online.

Here is their website.... http://www.ther  th.com/index.asp

They have lozenges and gum, that instantly freshen your breath. They also have toothpaste and rinses, of course, that are wonderful. Believe me, they are worth the price. Between the coffee and smoking, I always had a brown tongue; but since using the lozenges, gum, toothpaste and rinse, it is a healthy pink color, and no bad breath!

Bad breath is often a sign of gum disease.....which can lead to infections in your gums and your teeth fall out.

You should visit your dentist for regular check ups. Floss daily and buy a Water Pik to blast away food debris stuck between your teeth. And make sure to brush your tongue, all the way as far back as you can reach. All these things will make your mouth cleaner and your breath fresher!

September 1, 2010 Flag

How do you get rid of garlic breath?

By Cherylleigh from East Palestine, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Drink a glass of milk.

I have heard that chewing some fresh parsley will get rid of bad breath.

September 1, 2010 Flag

What can I do to get rid of bad breath? I brush and floss and visit my dentist every 3 months. I do drink coffee and tea, so that probably doesn't help. Any easy pointers?

LF from Denver, CO

Answers:

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

Breath Assure gets rid of that not in your mouth type of bad breath. It's parsley oil in gel capsules, it really works for me. You should also check out this blog

http://badbreath-cure.blogspot.com/ (12/30/2008)

By Dian

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

I do all the right things and still have bad breath. Mine is caused by gum disease. I use Oral B Amosan mouthwash as directed 4 times daily, it's especially for gingivitis, Vincents infection, denture irritation, and minor oral infection. Sometimes some of us just have certain gum diseases that brushing, flossing, and the best dental treatment will not work. Also, great for after dental work especially an extraction, stops infection. My hubby cannot take any antibiotics at all. This cleared up the infected teeth, gums and, and near blood poisoning. His teeth had to be removed to stop blood poisoning in it's tracks.

Pretty good job in my books, for more info on oral care visit www.oralb.com. It comes in easy to use single dose and if I can use it a baby can given my severe allergies. If I keep this up daily, no bad breath. Good luck.

Balance Deer Woman (01/05/2009)

By Yetta

RE: Getting Rid of Bad Breath

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

Brushing your tongue and the roof of your mouth helps with bad breath, also. (01/05/2009)

By castleberrycc

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

This won't be the nicest post I have ever done, but it might help a lot of you. The digestive tract is basically a tube that runs from the top to the "bottom". Some folks have breath that smells like, well, feces. I know, I know, but I am just too darned old to say "poop" or "#2", so there you go.

That indicates it is a problem with your bowels, stomach, or yes, GERD, which is Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disorder or GIRD which is just Intestinal instead of Esophageal.
Sometimes, things back up and don't go out the direction they are suppose to.
You may want to get on webmd and find out more. Good luck! (01/05/2009)

By Poor But Proud

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

My husband's dentist gave him a prescription mouth wash for this. Ask your dentist. I wasn't expensive. (01/05/2009)

By Kathy

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

I brush my tongue and my teeth and also use a tongue cleaner/scraper. I did a quick search and found this:

mayoclinic.com (01/05/2009)

By Maryeileen

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

If you have no teeth or gum problems and your oral hygiene is good it is either your diet or perhaps a medication if you take any. When I was young I dated a guy for a long time and he had horrid breath, but when he changed the way he ate the bad breath went away. Everyone's body is different so you'll need to cut out one certain food at a time and see which one(s) are causing this. As PoorButProud said it is probably an issue with the inside of your body. (01/05/2009)

By Deeli

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

Try rinsing with warm water and 3% hydrogen peroxide. It will help take germs away. I also brush with baking soda that I mix with 3% hydrogen peroxide. I worked in the dental field for over 15 years. (01/12/2009)

By meoowmom

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

Drink more water. I have noticed that my breath seems funky when I am not drinking my normal amount of water. I can also tell just by talking to my husband that he hasn't drunk any water that day by the smell of his breath. When I ask him if he's had much water today he says, "no", without fail every time. Try to start adding in more and you might notice a difference. Good luck. (01/16/2009)

By khilde80

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

Get probiotics. Dr. Ohhira's are the best.
Problem is in your intestines. (03/15/2009)

By katnip

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 7, 2009 Flag

I am suffering from bad breath. Please send me a home remedy to cure this problem.

Prinx from India

Answers:

Remedies for Bad Breath

I use 1/2 hydrogen peroxide, 1/2 water as a mouthwash. It's primarily for my gums but also really good at killing mouth bacteria! (07/11/2007)

By pamphyila

Remedies for Bad Breath

Chew on fennel. It is used as a mouth freshener and an after meal digestive. Indian restaurants often serve fennel candy as an after dinner mint. (07/12/2007)

By Marti

Remedies for Bad Breath

Have you been checked to see if your gums are infected? Preventive services to keep it from happening are not common in India, I understand, so it is almost totally likely that you have periodontal disease. Infection always smells terrible, and it could be deep under your gums. Glad you got online and asked! Kim, dental hygienist in Washington State (07/12/2007)

By kimhis

Remedies for Bad Breath

I know from a relative that bad breath can be related to celiac disease (autoimmune disease that damages the intestine when gluten is ingested). When the gluten (wheat, rye, barley, oats) were removed, the bad breath improved greatly. You would have to check with your doctor for the proper testing and advice. (07/20/2007)

By Nancy

Remedies for Bad Breath

Type in 'thera breath' in the search engine. It worked great for me. The official website explains everything. (08/31/2007)

By Winnie_01

Remedies for Bad Breath

Here's some ideas:
Chew on parsley or mint leaves.
Keep a small bottle of mouthwash handy and use several times per day.
Use a tongue scraper or gently brush your tongue.
Floss after eating.
Clean all areas of the mouth when brushing, including around the tongue and cheeks.
Get tested for any allergies such as dairy or gluten.

Hope they help! (10/05/2007)

By Cathy from Townsville, QLD

Remedies for Bad Breath

I suffered for many years from this problem and have finally got some relief. 2x per day I irrigate with water and hydrogen peroxide - I have a 600 ml Water Pik which I fill with water, then I add 1 1/2 tbsp 35% hydrogen peroxide (Careful-extremely dangerous if handled full strength or comes into contact with your skin) then I irrigate. Make sure to get all in the back at the gums and the roots of the teeth. Side Benefit: Beautifully white teeth! The calcified plaque foams off. Amazing results! (02/03/2009)

By anansi

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 30, 2008 Flag

How do you get rid of bad breath? Could it be bacteria or could it be from cavities?

Tamala from Columbia, MO

Answers:

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

I have worked in a dental office for 15 years, so this question comes up a lot. Have you tried brushing your tongue? That helps. Also, dental cavities do leave nasty odors, is it time for a check up? Good oral health is very important for everyone of all ages! During your check up tell the dentist or assistant about your issue, maybe they can give out samples of products to try, that's what I always did. Hope this helps you. Take care! :) (04/18/2006)

By mobo

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

Use Listerine daily. Brush your teeth 3 times a day too. My sister has the same problem and the dentist says it's her gums. She also chews a lot of sugar free minty gum, it helps (believe me lol) (04/18/2006)

By kimmcg

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

Try eating parsley. It is also very good in homemade doggy biscuits if your dogs have bad breath. If this doesn't work however, I would first get a thorough clean of your teeth at the dentist. If that doesn't help, your doctor should be your next port of call. I hope this is of help. Cheers, Wendy M. from Australia (04/18/2006)

By Wendy M.

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

Thank you for the info. I do brush my tongue and I have been to the dentist and they offer some Breath X. It helps for a minute. I do have cavities. When my appointments come around I seem to be short on money and reschedule my appt. to another week or two. But I have a dentist appt. next Friday. Thanks again for the great advice. (04/18/2006)

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

I was in the dental field for over 17 years so here is my main tip: FLOSS! The floss will help get rid of tiny stuff that can cause bacteria, hence smelling bad. Use floss daily (at least twice a day). Floss comes in many forms try using a waxed dental tape as it is easier to use, also lots like the green mint waxed floss. Waxed makes it easier to slide between teeth. Yes, cavities can cause odor due to bacteria building up and causing odor. Brush often with a soft brush, as hard brushes can tear up your gums. Change toothbrushes every three months or after colds and flu.

An easy rinse is using 3% hydrogen peroxide. It kills germs and bad breath. You can just pour some on your brush to brush away things between your teeth. If this does not immediately help, then try mixing some baking soda and peroxide and swishing with that. I also brush daily with peroxide and sometimes add a dab of baking soda to my brush. I have been lucky not to suffer from bad breath but one of my sisters had it bad. If this does not help sometimes, but not often, this needs to be addressed by your medical doctor after you discuss this with your dentist. I worked in general dentistry then in periodontal practice which deals with the gums, that being said I have to tell you the famous old periodontal quote; Brush and floss only those teeth you wish to keep! Good luck with your dental health. (04/19/2006)

By meoowmom

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

Tamala,
I just noticed we are nearly neighbors! I live in
Hallsville. (04/19/2006)

By meoowmom

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

Flossing is important. Brush your tongue with your toothbrush or an implement sold to clean your tongue. Rinse your teeth with half a cap of Listerine diluted with half a cap of water. Best of luck. (04/19/2006)

By Carol from Wyoming, PA

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

Could it be from sinuses? (04/19/2006)

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

I agree with everyone here, especially the flossing. However, if the bad breath is persistent, it could be a health issue. My daughter had bad breath which came from bad tonsils, she used to get white spots on them. The tonsils weren't sore but the white spots caused bad breath. After her tonsils were removed, the problem was solved. So, if the above advice doesn't work, perhaps you should see your doctor and get a good physical. God bless you. (04/19/2006)

By Luvyabye

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

I was wondering if cavities were from genes? I brush and floss twice a day, and seem to still have cavities...is there any recommendations?

(b)Editor's Note:(/b) Cavities don't go away by themselves. Please see a dentist, they can spread. (09/15/2006)

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

I'm tired of people telling me to go brush my teeth because I have bad breath. I go to the dentist every year. Every year they clean my teeth, tell me I have no cavities, and tell me to come back next year. I don't taste any icky stuff from my teeth. The bad taste is coming from further back in the throat. I believe it's sinus drainage that causes the bad breath. The only time in my 50 years that I remember not having bad breath was when I was on tetracycline for my acne. Nobody will prescribe antibiotics indefinitely for bad breath. The sickening sweet toothpaste and mouthwash seem to make the problem worse. Baking soda and peroxide make my teeth feel cleaner, but the lingering bad taste in the back of my mouth returns by the time I arrive at work in the morning. Are there natural ways to clear sinus problems? I fear the dizzy side effects of sinus tablets may cause a driving accident. (09/27/2006)

By betty

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

Please see an ear nose and throat specialist and ask him to do allergy tests. Allergies do cause sinus problems as well as tonsillitis. You will need to treat the allergies and the symptoms in order for the bad breath to disappear. A friend had his tonsils removed because of regular tonsillitis, but afterward suffered for years from throat infections. A specialist found that his tonsils had been removed unnecessarily, because the reason for all his problems was an allergy. Once he started treating the allergy, he had no more infections of the respiratory system. I found that the same held true for my children. (09/27/2006)

By Willem

Getting Rid of Bad Breath

I have bad breath. I have no cavities, and barely any plaque but I have bad breath. I brush my tongue and teeth and either side of the cheeks, and use Listerine. I haven't tried flossing though, could that be the answer? (11/07/2008)

By Jack

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 10, 2007 Flag

I have bad breathe. I went to the doctor for my sinuses. She gave me some nasal spray and some antibiotics. But I still have bad breathe. It is so bad that I work with people who talk behind my back. I work as a waitress so that is really, really bad.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Health & Beauty Home RemediesJune 29, 2011
Jack Russell Terrier with bad breath.
Remedies for a Dog's Bad Breath
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
My Husband Has Bad Breath
Natural Rosemary Breath Fresheners
Natural Breath Fresheners from the Garden
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 3:58:13 AM on 10.0.1.55 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.