Remedies for Bad Breath

Bad breath is both embarrassing and can also be a symptom of poor dental hygiene. This guide contains tips and remedies for dealing with bad breath.

April 30, 2012 Flag

Dip your toothbrush in peroxide and brush to kill germs that cause bad breath. You may also gargle with peroxide but have a glass of water ready as you will want to gargle with that also. It really works. Some might have to do two to three days.

By Marie from Salmon, ID

The fizzing is not killing bacteria. It is a reaction to the H2O2 on protein. If you have bad breath you need to go to the dentist and have your teeth cleaned. You may have gum disease. People need to realize Peroxide does not kill germs. If it did medical personnel would use that to sterilize surfaces and skin before they give you an injection instead of alcohol. They do not. Peroxide's bubbling action cleanses wounds buy lifting dirt or dead cells. Antibiotic salve still needs to be applied because H2O2 does not kill bacteria.

Another caution regarding use of peroxide in the mouth is it can cause Black Hairy Tongue and, in some cases after developing it, can lead to Thrush. Sorry to be so graphic but here is a photo:

February 28, 2012 Flag

First of all be sure you have your teeth cleaned on a regular basis. There is a liquid mouthwash called CloSys that I use. I can get it from my dentist, online, or at Walgreens. I developed gingivitis years ago and it never really goes away so I have to make sure I do everything I can to control it.

My dentist recommended using CloSys diligently in the morning and at bedtime after brushing to help control gingivitis because it kills the bacteria that causes it. It is also excellent for bad breath. We all know how gross and embarrassing morning breath can be so I wanted to give it a try to see if it really worked for that and WOW, I was amazed, it really did work.

Swishing it around for 30 seconds or so and be sure to gargle with it because the back part of your tongue harbors bacteria that causes bad breath. After spitting it out, DO NOT rinse with water. You can also get CloSys toothpaste (it's a bit pricey though) and use it together with the mouth washing regimen. I hope this helps you!

By Donna L. from Watauga, TX

There is a great produce called Smart Mouth that does a great job of getting rid of bad breath!

July 6, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about my husband has bad breath. Telling a spouse that they have bad breath can seem difficult or even hurtful, but in the long run is a good idea from both a social and health standpoint.

Woman with disgusted expression holding her nose and holding her other hand up in front of her

May 7, 2016 Flag

Does anyone know what can I wear or do to my lips in order to get a bad smell off of them? I work in a kitchen and the heat of the oven I operate make the smell off my lips take over the whole kitchen. Please does someone know what should I do?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

See a Dermatologist for help with your problem.

August 11, 2011 Flag

Making sure your mouth is clean is an good way to combat bad breath. It will also help prevent it. Here are some tips to having a clean mouth:

April 30, 2012 Flag

My young nephew's halitosis let up after his mom started using a tongue scraper on him nightly. We started using them in our family as well. Our favorite one is the Tongue Sweeper since it's metal and lasts a long time without nicking and is easily sterilized.

February 29, 2012 Flag

Germs cause bad breath, as well as certain foods. Make sure all areas of your mouth are well cleaned; tongue, gums and palate. Flossing is also crucial as food gets trapped in between teeth.

July 7, 2009 Flag

What is good for bad breath?

By celianoyola

Buy a good tooth brush and some tooth paste and brush your teeth three times a day and brush your tongue to this is where the bacteria builds up is on your tongue. After doing this if you still have a problem consult a doctor bad breath can also be a sign of an infection somewhere in your body.

Grow some fresh parsley. Chew a sprig a few times a day. Really works.

August 2, 2011 Flag

What must I do to get rid of my bad breath?

By Kwazi N from Elukwatini

I switched from an expensive "professional" over-the-counter mouthwash to baking soda and water. Don't forget to gargle as well to neutralize the bad odor in your mouth.

First: Have your dentist check for tooth decay, gum disease, and coating of the tongue (there are tongue scrapers which can surprisingly eliminate some bad breath.) Secondly, get a check for stomach (digestive etc.) problems. Thirdly, are your lungs healthy? If affirmative on all these, maybe your body needs some detoxifying (cleansing of your liver and gallbladder, which can be done following a good herbal program). Toxins in our bodies can definitely cause bad breath. I hope this helps. Good luck!

April 27, 2011 Flag

I would like to know how to treat bad breath.

By Dianepegg

I had a terrible problem with this. I drink coffee constantly, am a heavy smoker, suffer from post-nasal drip, and have digestive problems. Any one of these cause bad breath. I have finally found products that completely solved my problem. However, I can't find them in stores. I only found one or two of their products in one store in my area, but not what I really needed. I have to order them online.

Here is their website.... http://www.therabreath.com/index.asp

They have lozenges and gum, that instantly freshen your breath. They also have toothpaste and rinses, of course, that are wonderful. Believe me, they are worth the price. Between the coffee and smoking, I always had a brown tongue; but since using the lozenges, gum, toothpaste and rinse, it is a healthy pink color, and no bad breath!

Bad breath is often a sign of gum disease.....which can lead to infections in your gums and your teeth fall out.

You should visit your dentist for regular check ups. Floss daily and buy a Water Pik to blast away food debris stuck between your teeth. And make sure to brush your tongue, all the way as far back as you can reach. All these things will make your mouth cleaner and your breath fresher!

September 1, 2010 Flag

How do you get rid of garlic breath?

By Cherylleigh from East Palestine, OH

Drink a glass of milk.

I have heard that chewing some fresh parsley will get rid of bad breath.

April 30, 2012 Flag

A product called SmartMouth really works to get rid of bad breath! It can be purchased at Wal-mart and pharmacies.

September 1, 2010 Flag

What can I do to get rid of bad breath? I brush and floss and visit my dentist every 3 months. I do drink coffee and tea, so that probably doesn't help. Any easy pointers?

Load More
Health & Beauty Home RemediesJune 29, 2011
Credit history document.
Getting a Loan With Bad Credit
Jack Russell Terrier with bad breath.
Remedies for a Dog's Bad Breath
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
unwrapped gum on top of several foil wrapped pieces
Uses for Chewing Gum
🎉
🎄