Remedies for Itchy Scalp

Dandruff shampoos are not necessarily helpful for itchy scalp without flaking. This is a guide about remedies for itchy scalp.

Woman with Itchy Scalp
Filter Sort

Question: Causes of Itchy Scalp Other Than Dandruff

By katipr 1

My scalp is extremely itchy, there is no dandruff. I just started using a new shampoo and conditioner. I have used this shampoo and the conditioner before, but it's been awhile. Could it be the cause of my itchy scalp?

By Kaitlyn

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Kathy 64 333 Flag

Are you on any medications? Sometimes certain meds can cause dry, itchy scalp. If you are on any medication, check with the pharmacist not the doctor. The pharmacists are usually much more knowledgeable than doctors and more willing to answer your questions I might add. Also, are you rinsing the shampoo out real well. You'd be amazed at how much shampoo residue is left on your scalp after shampooing. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Shampoo for Itchy Scalp

I have natural grey/silver hair. I am having trouble with itchy scalp. Is there a shampoo out there that will help, without turning my hair yellow?

By Charlotte

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Nancy McGuire 6 11 Flag

I have itchy scalp and salt and pepper hair color. I found Head and Shoulders Itchy Scalp with Eucaliptus to be very effective.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Remedy for Severely Itchy Scalp and Hair Loss

By Mansi 1

I have been suffering with a severely itchy scalp and hair fall for the past few weeks. I have thyroid problems and recently had a regular thyroid check. The doctor said that the thyroid levels are normal and to get an another regular checkup after a year. All of sudden I was facing the severely itchy scalp and hair fall problem. So, what should I do now? Should I consult my endocrinologist or do I have to go through some home remedies like changing shampoo, etc.?

By Mansi

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Diane 13 62 Flag

It definitely sounds like a reaction to the medication. I would highly recommend asking your doctor to adjust your meds or try a different treatment. I also suggest looking for a good chiropractor. Thyroid problems can be caused by a pinched nerve in the neck. It may be as simple as a few chiropractic treatments to get your thyroid functioning again, then you won't have to worry about the meds at all.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Remedies for an Itchy Scalp

By carol Drummond 1

I have extremely itchy scalp, no dandruff, and thinning hair; any suggestions?

By Carol from Aragon, GA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Noella 11 381 Flag

It looks like you have some great ideas for itchy scalp. I too have thinning hair and have started taking a vitamin called High Potency Stresstabs with Energy from Wal-Mart. This was recommended by a customer at my hairdresser's. She was remarking about how it had helped her hair thicken. I can see a difference already and my husband even mentioned to me that my hair seemed to be thickening. It will take at least 6 months to see a BIG difference, but I finally have hope for my thinning hair.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Itchy Scalp After Coloring

I have never had an issue with itchy scalp until I had my hair colored at a different shop other than my normal gal. I don't have dandruff, never did, and I'm shampooing with the same stuff I've used for years.

24 hours after my color, the itching was so bad that I washed and conditioned at 2am! I now have sores from scratching and it keeps me up all night. It seems that the itch is mostly on the back of my head where I think she left the color on much longer than usual. If this was an allergic reaction, wouldn't it be gone after three weeks? Or maybe the dye "burned" my scalp? Either way, has anyone gone through this before? I am going crazy!

Thanks.

By Julie R.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Kat 7 219 Flag

You definitely should see a doctor or dermatologist. Do you know if the same brand was used at the new salon? Was it the same shade? If not it could have caused the reaction. Also if it was the exact same thing you usually get, you could have developed an allergy to it. Or, the person rinsing may not have rinsed it all out, even though it may have appeared so. Because you had it so bad at the neck area, that seems the most likely problem, not rinsed well enough.

An allergic reaction would have completely gone in about a week especially since you shampooed it again, but a secondary infection from all the scratching, which you may have even done in your sleep, could still be causing the itching and irritation. It is also possible that some unfamiliar styling aid used right after the colors caused the reaction, since the scalp is more sensitive right after any chemical service. Good luck, and see a doctor for treatment.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Oils to Prevent an Itchy Scalp

By jessie.ofarrell1 4

As a remedy to prevent an itchy flaky scalp, try emu oil, coconut oil or olive oil. Any one of them works great!

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Causes and Treatment for Itchy Scalp

By hopeful 27 135

Many different medicines can cause your scalp to itch. There isn't any long term remedy for this.

There are some scalp conditions that can cause your scalp to itch, such as psoriasis. Dandruff usually will not cause your scalp to itch. Medicine is the often the culprit.

Sea Breeze applied topically is very good to calm the itch, temporarily.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips TipsApril 3, 2013
      ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
      Dog With Itchy Ears
      Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
      Young woman scratching her head furiously.
      Dandruff Remedies
      child rubbing eyes
      Remedies for Itchy Eyes
      Arm With Hives
      Remedies for Hives
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:53:10 AM on 10.0.1.78 in 967 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
      NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
      Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
      BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
      CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings