Remedies for an Itchy Scalp

Dandruff shampoos are not necessarily helpful for itchy scalp without flaking. This is a guide has remedies for an itchy scalp.

June 13, 2011 Flag

I have been suffering with a severely itchy scalp and hair fall for the past few weeks. I have thyroid problems and recently had a regular thyroid check. The doctor said that the thyroid levels are normal and to get an another regular checkup after a year. All of sudden I was facing the severely itchy scalp and hair fall problem. So, what should I do now? Should I consult my endocrinologist or do I have to go through some home remedies like changing shampoo, etc.?

By Mansi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I suffered for years from this same problem. I was reading on-line where an iodine defency can cause thyroid problems and one of the signs was hair loss which I also had. I bought a multi vitiman that has 100% of the daily allowance of iodine and switched to baby shampoo. I am so thankful that I did because now when I shower the drain is not full of hair that should be on my head. I bought the vitamins and baby shampoo at Aldi's which wasn't expensive at all. God bless and good luck.

Best Answer

I suffered for 4 years with my doctors saying thyroid is fine and my hair fell out to the point that I had to cut my hair off short. I went to the health food store & the homopathic doctor and he said thyroid and the way they read the test ....took a simple dissolve tablet in mouth for l month and when the doctor rechecked my thyroid he said it was too high and lowered the dose. long story short....The generic thyroid medicine and the specialist put me on brand name because it has to have in it what it says and generic only can be 15 percent off in their mixture. My hair is fine and my itchy scalp went with it.

I went to Mayo to finally get relief.

by the way you can tell within a week if it is thyroid because your hair will change that fast.

Best Answer

It definitely sounds like a reaction to the medication. I would highly recommend asking your doctor to adjust your meds or try a different treatment. I also suggest looking for a good chiropractor. Thyroid problems can be caused by a pinched nerve in the neck. It may be as simple as a few chiropractic treatments to get your thyroid functioning again, then you won't have to worry about the meds at all.

Try a scalp treatment using coconut oil. Coconut oil is also beneficial for relieving excema and psoriasis. Do a search on the many benefits of coconut oil. You will be pleasantly surprised.

July 13, 2011 Flag

I have natural grey/silver hair. I am having trouble with itchy scalp. Is there a shampoo out there that will help, without turning my hair yellow?

By Charlotte

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I had the same problem and my son told me about Head & Shoulders Shampoo Intensive Care. It is more expensive, but it truly helped my itchy scalp. Hope this helps.

Best Answer

Nizoral is a good shampoo for this sort of thing. It is not cheap (about $14 a bottle) but goes a long way. My man friend has eczema in his hair and he said it helps the itching and flaking significantly. I just have thin hair and was just trying to be as kind to it as possible. It is available at drug stores, speciality hair stores. You won't find it at Target or Walmart, places like that.

Best Answer

Head & Shoulders has a multitude of different kinds of shampoo for all sorts of dandruff and scalp conditions. Read the labels and select one that seems to fit your condition. There are also several kinds of good shampoos for more severe conditions, and others have mentioned these. You should go to a drug store to look for these, and in our local store, the druggist would help you select a product if you needed assistance. Discount stores and WalMart do not have knowledgeable staff; they can't pay enough and keep prices low. You get what you pay for.

My hair dresser told me to use gentle shampoos such as herbal essence. Harsher shampoos--usually the cheaper ones--will cause your scalp to react with an itchy scalp and what looks like dandruff. Once I switched shampoos I have not had the problem. Good luck.

February 21, 2012 Flag

I have never had an issue with itchy scalp until I had my hair colored at a different shop other than my normal gal. I don't have dandruff, never did, and I'm shampooing with the same stuff I've used for years.

24 hours after my color, the itching was so bad that I washed and conditioned at 2am! I now have sores from scratching and it keeps me up all night. It seems that the itch is mostly on the back of my head where I think she left the color on much longer than usual. If this was an allergic reaction, wouldn't it be gone after three weeks? Or maybe the dye "burned" my scalp? Either way, has anyone gone through this before? I am going crazy!

Thanks.

By Julie R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I had this exact same problem when I had to find a new hairdresser. When she mixed the color for my hair she put in an accellerant to speed up the waiting time for the color to take. I had itching so terrible (within a few hours) that I had sores on my head. I called her to ask about it and she said that I was most likely having a reaction to the color accellerator. She said that she would no longer use it, but it would take longer for the color. I didn't care because I never wanted that to happen to me again, it was awful.

Best Answer

If you have open sores on your head from scratching, I don't think that you should be rinsing with vinegar. It may be nice for the hair, (I wouldn't use it! But it may be fine.) , but it can not be a good thing to put vinegar on an open sore.

You definitely have had a reaction to the hair dye or other product. You should likely see a doctor, or at the very least, call the hair stylist and find out what products she used on your hair. Then perhaps you could contact the company for advice, or perhaps your stylist will know what to do.

And I would not be coloring your hair for a good long time. You may end up being super sensitive to any and all products after this.

Best Answer

You definitely should see a doctor or dermatologist. Do you know if the same brand was used at the new salon? Was it the same shade? If not it could have caused the reaction. Also if it was the exact same thing you usually get, you could have developed an allergy to it. Or, the person rinsing may not have rinsed it all out, even though it may have appeared so. Because you had it so bad at the neck area, that seems the most likely problem, not rinsed well enough.

An allergic reaction would have completely gone in about a week especially since you shampooed it again, but a secondary infection from all the scratching, which you may have even done in your sleep, could still be causing the itching and irritation. It is also possible that some unfamiliar styling aid used right after the colors caused the reaction, since the scalp is more sensitive right after any chemical service. Good luck, and see a doctor for treatment.

Unfortunately, we can have allergic reactions to things we have used for years!

That's what it sounds like happened, your scalp was irritated, and that residue that hangs on, kept making it worse. It can even make your eyes swell!

Did you go to get it done with a "dirty" scalp? The natural oils protects the scalp from the chemicals.

I've recently given up on coloring my hair. Figuring, the chemicals going down the drain cant be that good for me or the environment!

Make sure you do tell the next person that colors your hair, that you had this reaction! They may have an alternative or solution to make it more mild!

Good Luck. Hearts & hugs!

M

August 31, 2011 Flag

My scalp is extremely itchy, there is no dandruff. I just started using a new shampoo and conditioner. I have used this shampoo and the conditioner before, but it's been awhile. Could it be the cause of my itchy scalp?

By Kaitlyn

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Yes but there are two other possibilities. One is yeast which can be cured with Selson Blue shampoo and the other is head lice (it is rampant among kids). Try the shampoo for a week and see if that doesn't stop it.

Best Answer

I use plain old white vinegar for a final rinse-about a tablespoon (I don't measure just squirt some) in a cup of water. Pour over your hair, making sure to work it down onto you scalp. Don't rinse it out. Towel dry your hair and by the time your body is dried off there is no more vinegar smell.

If I fail to do this my scalp is itching so bad before I can get dressed I can hardly stand it. It doesn't matter what kind of shampoo I use. Give this a try-cost is not enough to count and it just may solve your problem.

Have you colored your hair recently? Sometimes that causes itchy scalp.

Perhaps you have developed an allergy to something in it or they have changed their fornula - new and improved! Definitely stop using the shampoo and see what happens.

March 24, 2010 Flag

I have extremely itchy scalp, no dandruff, and thinning hair; any suggestions?

By Carol from Aragon, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I had the same problem several years ago, and tried all kinds of different shampoos, including the dandruff shampoos because for the first time in my life I had what appeared to be an awful case of dandruff. When the itching got to the point that I couldn't stand the itching any more I went to a dermatologist and he said I had psoriasis. He prescribed a special shampoo and a lotion that didn't do anything for the appearance of my hair, but the combination sure helped.

It was almost completely gone within a few months and when I went back for a three month check up the doctor was amazed that it had cleared up so fast, as bad as it was. I still have some of the shampoo and lotion left and occasionally I feel an itch that is different than a typical itch and I use the prescription stuff a couple times and the itching clears up right away.

Best Answer

When I had that problem, the doctor suggested using a pine tar shampoo (Neutrogena makes one). It worked. I find my scalp is only itchy in the dry winter months. Good luck!

T-Gell shampoo works for me. Good luck.

You are probably allergic to something in your shampoo. Try to find an "all natural" shampoo without any artificial fragrances or colors.

July 25, 2012 Flag

I need help for dry, itchy scalp.

By Ann T

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I rinse my hair with Listerine after I shampoo it. I do not rinse it out. The Listerine gets rid of dandruff when I use it every time I shampoo my hair and it leaves my hair soft and shiny. And the odor evaporates too. I am a senior citizen and my hair is naturally dry.

I wonder if this would work for my shitzu. he has very dry skin and itches constantly no fleas or bugs of any kind.

January 5, 2017 Flag

This is a guide about using vinegar for treating your scalp. Vinegar either full strength or diluted with water can be used to treat itchy scalp caused by fungus.

A bottle of vinegar.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 14, 2014 Flag

As a remedy to prevent an itchy flaky scalp, try emu oil, coconut oil or olive oil. Any one of them works great!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

October 15, 2013 Flag

Many different medicines can cause your scalp to itch. There isn't any long term remedy for this.

There are some scalp conditions that can cause your scalp to itch, such as psoriasis. Dandruff usually will not cause your scalp to itch. Medicine is the often the culprit.

Sea Breeze applied topically is very good to calm the itch, temporarily.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 24, 2010 Flag

What can I do about itchy and dry scalp? Can you advise on any products that will help?

Onesummer

Answers:

Remedies for an Itchy Scalp

Try a small amount of Tea Tree Oil mixed with your shampoo. It works for me. (03/27/2007)

By Tawnroo2

Remedies for an Itchy Scalp

My scalp sometimes gets dry in the winter. Head and Shoulders makes a dry scalp formula that works quite well. (03/28/2007)

By Debbie52

Remedies for an Itchy Scalp

If the itch and dryness are a result of overgrowth of yeast aka dandruff, a final rinse in apple cider vinegar works very well. (03/28/2007)

By thriftmeg

Remedies for an Itchy Scalp

A little drop of Olive oil worked into the scalp is supposed to work well. Leave it in if you hair is short (my brother does this). Maybe if you have longer hair rub into your head at night and wash out in the morning? This page has a few helpful ideas including the Apple Cider Vinegar treatment.

alternativehealth.co.nz

Best wishes.
Monique x, Somerset, UK (03/28/2007)

By Monique63

Remedies for an Itchy Scalp

My daughter who is 10 has this problem. So about 3 times a week, after washing her hair I mix about 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar and warm water in the sink and rinse her hair in it. I do not rinse out. Her hair is easier to comb, less itchy, and her dandruff is almost gone. (03/28/2007)

By buffalogal95

Remedies for an Itchy Scalp

I have recently begun having this problem. There is a new product on the market called Scalpicin. It has worked wonders for me and is easy to use. (03/28/2007)

By bbb

Remedies for an Itchy Scalp

Sometimes itchy scalp is from dust mite larvae, called Dermataphagoids, digging into the pores, from such places as backs of chairs, sofa pillows, laying on carpet, pets, ground, grass, or floor. The best thing to do if none of the above work is to buy the generic brand of Neutragena liquid Tar shampoo at WalMart. Follow the directions well, because one has to leave it on for a longer time for it to work, and don't be tempted to dilute it. Don't get it into your eyes. It lasts until you reintroduce dust mites back into your head, hair, neck, or arms from whatever source, even blankets that have collected dust.

It is a strong product and will also remove many hair colors, but really works on the dust mite problem, just as it advertises. If you are not too sensitive to the shampoo, you can apply a tiny dab directly to any sore you might have developed which in on your head or body. Clean combs, brushes, rollers, and irons often with regular hot water and soap, then store them on a clean surface, preferably covering them until next use.

This is not the same as lice. Mites are invisible and form tiny almost microscopic sores, eventually matting together because the sore ooze fluid which dries and makes tiny scabs. Dust mites live by the millions on each speck of dust and feed on human flesh when in contact directly or indirectly, as in on a bed where human or animal tissue cells shed onto the linens providing the perfect breeding ground for them. There's not much else to do except frequent hand vacuuming of all surfaces which your body comes into contact with. Hope this helps someone. God bless you. (03/28/2007)

By Lynda

Remedies for an Itchy Scalp

My husband had this problem for years, our son has it too. After years of complaining, using special shampoos, etc. I finally put a few drops of tea tree oil in their shampoos. My husband used his entire bottle and has never had the problem since, that was about 10 years ago. My son, on the other hand, despised the smell of tea tree oil and refused to use it in his shampoo. He still has the problem, and still spends his money on special shampoos, etc. Sure was a cheap fix for my husband. As for my son, I think after another decade of discomfort, he'll come around too. (03/29/2007)

By susanmajp

Remedies for an Itchy Scalp

We use Head and Shoulders brand, Intensive Treatment. It works wonders. Our scalps never feel itchy anymore. (03/29/2007)

By Michele

Remedies for an Itchy Scalp

The antiseptic SeaBreeze is what I used long ago or my doctor said plain old Listerine mouthwash works.
Now Tea Tree shampoo is sold at Beauty Supply stores. You can also try witch hazel, it is very affordable.
Scalpicin works very well. My favorite is the vinegar rinse. Good luck. (03/29/2007)

By meoowmom

Remedies for an Itchy Scalp

Plain old yellow Listerine works wonders on dandruff and itchy scalp.

I make a leave in conditioner (my hair is dry) that also does the trick. Boil a pan of water along with a handful of fresh rosemary. Remove from heat and let cool. Add 1 cup whole, long cook oats. Let sit overnight. Strain into another pan. The oat liquid (called "slurry") will be cloudy and slightly gelled. It's supposed to be that way. After you wash your hair and condition as usual, use this slurry as your final rinse. Don't wash it out. Makes your hair really soft, and no itching either. (04/07/2007)

By Kat63

Remedies for an Itchy Scalp

T-Gell shampoo will do it. Good luck. (04/07/2009)

By kffrmw88

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips TipsApril 3, 2013
Woman scratching her dry scalp.
Homemade Dry Scalp Treatments
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
A bottle of vinegar.
Using Vinegar for Treating Your Scalp
Young woman scratching her head furiously.
Dandruff Remedies
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 12:53:01 PM on 10.0.0.234 in 12 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.