Remedies for an Itchy Scalp

Dandruff shampoos are not necessarily helpful for itchy scalp without flaking. This is a guide has remedies for an itchy scalp.

Woman with Itchy Scalp
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 31, 2011 Flag

My scalp is extremely itchy, there is no dandruff. I just started using a new shampoo and conditioner. I have used this shampoo and the conditioner before, but it's been awhile. Could it be the cause of my itchy scalp?

By Kaitlyn

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you colored your hair recently? Sometimes that causes itchy scalp.

Perhaps you have developed an allergy to something in it or they have changed their fornula - new and improved! Definitely stop using the shampoo and see what happens.

I use plain old white vinegar for a final rinse-about a tablespoon (I don't measure just squirt some) in a cup of water. Pour over your hair, making sure to work it down onto you scalp. Don't rinse it out. Towel dry your hair and by the time your body is dried off there is no more vinegar smell.

If I fail to do this my scalp is itching so bad before I can get dressed I can hardly stand it. It doesn't matter what kind of shampoo I use. Give this a try-cost is not enough to count and it just may solve your problem.

Are you on any medications? Sometimes certain meds can cause dry, itchy scalp. If you are on any medication, check with the pharmacist not the doctor. The pharmacists are usually much more knowledgeable than doctors and more willing to answer your questions I might add. Also, are you rinsing the shampoo out real well. You'd be amazed at how much shampoo residue is left on your scalp after shampooing. Hope this helps.

Read More Answers...

July 13, 2011 Flag

I have natural grey/silver hair. I am having trouble with itchy scalp. Is there a shampoo out there that will help, without turning my hair yellow?

By Charlotte

Nizoral is a good shampoo for this sort of thing. It is not cheap (about $14 a bottle) but goes a long way. My man friend has eczema in his hair and he said it helps the itching and flaking significantly. I just have thin hair and was just trying to be as kind to it as possible. It is available at drug stores, speciality hair stores. You won't find it at Target or Walmart, places like that.

My hair dresser told me to use gentle shampoos such as herbal essence. Harsher shampoos--usually the cheaper ones--will cause your scalp to react with an itchy scalp and what looks like dandruff. Once I switched shampoos I have not had the problem. Good luck.

Head & Shoulders has a multitude of different kinds of shampoo for all sorts of dandruff and scalp conditions. Read the labels and select one that seems to fit your condition. There are also several kinds of good shampoos for more severe conditions, and others have mentioned these. You should go to a drug store to look for these, and in our local store, the druggist would help you select a product if you needed assistance. Discount stores and WalMart do not have knowledgeable staff; they can't pay enough and keep prices low. You get what you pay for.

I have itchy scalp and salt and pepper hair color. I found Head and Shoulders Itchy Scalp with Eucaliptus to be very effective.

Read More Answers...

June 13, 2011 Flag

I have been suffering with a severely itchy scalp and hair fall for the past few weeks. I have thyroid problems and recently had a regular thyroid check. The doctor said that the thyroid levels are normal and to get an another regular checkup after a year. All of sudden I was facing the severely itchy scalp and hair fall problem. So, what should I do now? Should I consult my endocrinologist or do I have to go through some home remedies like changing shampoo, etc.?

By Mansi

Contact an NAET practitioner and get permanent relief! www.naet.com

You can reverse all of your problems with energy medicine, go to find a prac. and find someone near you.

Try a scalp treatment using coconut oil. Coconut oil is also beneficial for relieving excema and psoriasis. Do a search on the many benefits of coconut oil. You will be pleasantly surprised.

It definitely sounds like a reaction to the medication. I would highly recommend asking your doctor to adjust your meds or try a different treatment. I also suggest looking for a good chiropractor. Thyroid problems can be caused by a pinched nerve in the neck. It may be as simple as a few chiropractic treatments to get your thyroid functioning again, then you won't have to worry about the meds at all.

Read More Answers...

April 14, 2014 Flag

As a remedy to prevent an itchy flaky scalp, try emu oil, coconut oil or olive oil. Any one of them works great!

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 21, 2012 Flag

I have never had an issue with itchy scalp until I had my hair colored at a different shop other than my normal gal. I don't have dandruff, never did, and I'm shampooing with the same stuff I've used for years.

24 hours after my color, the itching was so bad that I washed and conditioned at 2am! I now have sores from scratching and it keeps me up all night. It seems that the itch is mostly on the back of my head where I think she left the color on much longer than usual. If this was an allergic reaction, wouldn't it be gone after three weeks? Or maybe the dye "burned" my scalp? Either way, has anyone gone through this before? I am going crazy!

Thanks.

By Julie R.

Rinsing with a 3:1 solution of water [3 parts] & vinegar [1] will help with the itching but may affect the hair coloring.... you'll have to decide..

Vinegar is probably one of the absolute best hair conditioners for your hair and scalp. Vinegar is antiseptic and antibiotic. Let it set for about 1 minute, then rinse with plain water. The vinegar smell will only last about 15-20 minutes but your hair will be fantastic ... soft & squeaky clean and you should not have any itching of the scalp.

I had this exact same problem when I had to find a new hairdresser. When she mixed the color for my hair she put in an accellerant to speed up the waiting time for the color to take. I had itching so terrible (within a few hours) that I had sores on my head. I called her to ask about it and she said that I was most likely having a reaction to the color accellerator. She said that she would no longer use it, but it would take longer for the color. I didn't care because I never wanted that to happen to me again, it was awful.

If you have open sores on your head from scratching, I don't think that you should be rinsing with vinegar. It may be nice for the hair, (I wouldn't use it! But it may be fine.) , but it can not be a good thing to put vinegar on an open sore.

You definitely have had a reaction to the hair dye or other product. You should likely see a doctor, or at the very least, call the hair stylist and find out what products she used on your hair. Then perhaps you could contact the company for advice, or perhaps your stylist will know what to do.

And I would not be coloring your hair for a good long time. You may end up being super sensitive to any and all products after this.

You definitely should see a doctor or dermatologist. Do you know if the same brand was used at the new salon? Was it the same shade? If not it could have caused the reaction. Also if it was the exact same thing you usually get, you could have developed an allergy to it. Or, the person rinsing may not have rinsed it all out, even though it may have appeared so. Because you had it so bad at the neck area, that seems the most likely problem, not rinsed well enough.

An allergic reaction would have completely gone in about a week especially since you shampooed it again, but a secondary infection from all the scratching, which you may have even done in your sleep, could still be causing the itching and irritation. It is also possible that some unfamiliar styling aid used right after the colors caused the reaction, since the scalp is more sensitive right after any chemical service. Good luck, and see a doctor for treatment.

Read More Answers...

March 24, 2010 Flag

I have extremely itchy scalp, no dandruff, and thinning hair; any suggestions?

By Carol from Aragon, GA

T-Gell shampoo works for me. Good luck.

You are probably allergic to something in your shampoo. Try to find an "all natural" shampoo without any artificial fragrances or colors.

When I had that problem, the doctor suggested using a pine tar shampoo (Neutrogena makes one). It worked. I find my scalp is only itchy in the dry winter months. Good luck!

It looks like you have some great ideas for itchy scalp. I too have thinning hair and have started taking a vitamin called High Potency Stresstabs with Energy from Wal-Mart. This was recommended by a customer at my hairdresser's. She was remarking about how it had helped her hair thicken. I can see a difference already and my husband even mentioned to me that my hair seemed to be thickening. It will take at least 6 months to see a BIG difference, but I finally have hope for my thinning hair.

Read More Answers...

August 16, 2012 Flag

How many times do I use vinegar for a scalp fungus treatment in a week? Is shampooing mandatory before the vinegar treatment or do I wash the hair normally with water daily. I'm totally confused. So can someone tell me properly what I must do for this treatment?

By Hashmat

Vinegar would be safe to use at least twice a day if you want/need. I suggest distilled vinegar. Use it as a rinse after shampooing but don't rinse it out with water after applying (the vinegar odor will go away in just a few minutes). If full strength vinegar stings (because you have a fungus/irritation) try diluting it half distilled vinegar and half distilled water. Personally, if I were trying to get rid of a fungus I'd put up with the temporary sting of full strength.

PS - Yes, shampoo your hair first because that also helps get rid of the bacteria that causes fungus.

Hi - my daughter has long hair and tends to shampoo every day. She got some kind of fungus (itch but no flakes) on her scalp and tried medicated shampoos but these did not help. She does not rinse with vinegar but has it in a spray bottle that she used to wet down her scalp a couple of times a day.

This method was only necessary for a few days and itch has not returned after several months. If you use this method you can use any empty clean spray bottle or a new one from the dollar store. If no spray bottle is available try wetting cotton balls with vinegar and dab on any spot that bothers you.

I do not believe the type of vinegar matters but the clear type may have less odor. Vinegar is good for many things around the house.

July 25, 2012 Flag

I need help for dry, itchy scalp.

By Ann T

I rinse my hair with Listerine after I shampoo it. I do not rinse it out. The Listerine gets rid of dandruff when I use it every time I shampoo my hair and it leaves my hair soft and shiny. And the odor evaporates too. I am a senior citizen and my hair is naturally dry.

I wonder if this would work for my shitzu. he has very dry skin and itches constantly no fleas or bugs of any kind.

October 15, 2013 Flag

Many different medicines can cause your scalp to itch. There isn't any long term remedy for this.

There are some scalp conditions that can cause your scalp to itch, such as psoriasis. Dandruff usually will not cause your scalp to itch. Medicine is the often the culprit.

Sea Breeze applied topically is very good to calm the itch, temporarily.

Load More
      Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips TipsApril 3, 2013
      Woman scratching her dry scalp.
      Homemade Dry Scalp Treatments
      Dog With Itchy Ears
      Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
      Young woman scratching her head furiously.
      Dandruff Remedies
      child rubbing eyes
      Remedies for Itchy Eyes
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 23, 2016 at 3:03:24 PM on 10.0.0.243 in 869 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.