Remedy For Burnt Soup?

I fell asleep, the barley cooked to the bottom of the pot and the soup tastes burnt. Is there a remedy for this?

Thanks.

Betty

Answers:

Remedy For Burnt Soup?

I used the remedy suggested for burnt spaghetti sauce; peanut butter, about 3 tsp. for a quart of soup. I did it with homemade chicken vegetable soup I accidentally had burned when re-heating. I poured off the top soup, stuck it in another pan, and used the peanut butter remedy. It surprisingly worked. I figured I had nothing to lose. My soup was thick though, not a real liquid based chicken soup. (10/13/2007)

By shannon

Remedy For Burnt Soup?

This just happened to me this evening with a big pot of Vegetable Beef Soup. I added 1/4 to 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar and then 1/2 cup of sugar to balance out the tart taste. Surprisingly the burnt taste was gone, and I just started over adding the seasonings. It is now simmering away in the crock pot. (04/07/2008)

By Sherry

Remedy For Burnt Soup?

I scorched the bottom of a huge pot of chili. It's still edible, but does have that scorched taste/smell. I called a friend who has been a professional chef and he said to use a little cumin or cinnamon. I had cinnamon open, so sprinkled a little in there. Fantastic! It did away completely with the burnt taste and odor, but I didn't taste the cinnamon. He said that this works on most beef/pork dishes. (12/05/2008)

By JMC

Remedy For Burnt Soup?

Thank you so much. The cinnamon really really worked! I put a lot of time into some chicken and dumpling soup last night after making a whole fryer chicken for dinner. I went to heat it today for lunch, got on the phone, and forgot about it. It was tonight's dinner and I cannot afford to waste food. After the cinnamon I added a little garlic dill to balance, and it tastes even better! (12/08/2008)

By Jani-Bannani

Top Comment

Cooking a pot of Mung beans and lamb with Kale. I fell asleep, woke up to a kitchen of smoke. Quickly changed the pot and added new water. My beans still had the burnt smell and a light burnt taste.

I quickly googled and seen these post about cinnamon.

Thank you thank you it works and the cinnamon is not dominate to the dish..