Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin

Dogs can suffer from itchy skin. This is a guide about a remedy for dog's itchy skin.

Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My Pit/Blue Heeler, Nyla, has had a skin infection for almost 4 months. It is on her neck, vulva, stomach, inner leg, armpits, and under her eyes. She came back from a 2 week stay with a dog sitter with a very bad flea infestation. It took 2 months to cure. Right after that she started to lick and bite to the point of blood. Only when she licks I can see puss blisters. I believe the infection started from her backside, seeing how she jumps up as if something is biting her.

I took her to the vet ($300), they gave her antibacterial shampoo and spray, steroids, and antibiotics. For a week her skin started clearing up and fur started to grow, but after that the progression stopped. The medicine never stopped the itching so I bought a funnel for her. Then someone told me about apple cider, vinegar, peroxide, and water mix. I put it on her and I started to see mild visible red spots. The next day I tried again and one minute later for the first time I felt hot spots and her ears were hot. I don't know if it was the mix, or the infection itself fighting against the mix. I'm scared to keep using the mix. I'm at my wits end seeing her suffer. I need help please! Thanks in advance.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

*Have you returned to your vet for a recheck and other possible treatment - important to do so?

*Your dog may be allergic to something in her environment-smoke, cleaning chemicals, detergent, soap, scent sprays, etc., could be many things you may not think are a problem.

*Consider removing her from your home and boarding her for a few weeks, or perhaps a relative or friend could care for her. If she improves, you will need to consider everything in your house and outside as possible problems.

Read More Answers...

My Maltese, Molly, had awfully itchy skin, so after spending hundreds of dollars on treatment I tried Epsom salts in her bath water, and it did the trick. She also had a badly infected eye from rubbing her face on the ground to ease the itching, this has also cleared up much to our relief. I put a handful of Epsom salts to the bath water, and if it's a bad case rinse twice making the last rinse another one with salts in it.

By Suanne from Australia

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My Cocker Spaniel baby has been struggling with allergies and itchy skin for several years and it has been an uphill battle. We started with using a doggie antihistamine with a small amount of steroid called Temeril P that you get from the vet. It helped some but wasn't super successful and I don't like giving her a steroid. She gets staph infections from all the scratching so we have been periodically putting on antibiotics to get her skin healed up.

Here are some of the things that have been helpful to her:

• She gets Benadryl twice a day, 1 mg per pound of weight.

• Bathing twice a week. Bathing removes allergens from the hair and skin which helps tremendously to relieve the itching. A simple bath will give dogs a lot of relief.

I've recently discovered that a rinse in chamomile tea helps a lot to calm her skin and stop the itching for a while. Make two cups of chamomile tea, using about 6 tea bags to make it strong. Let it cool and pour it into a spray bottle, then add warm (not hot) water and spray your dog's skin all over to relieve the itch. I've also rinsed my girl with witch hazel which offers some relief as well, but the chamomile tea has been the best so far.

Another rinse that has helped is 1/2 cup green tea mixed with 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar and 1 cup purified water (You can boil for 20 minutes to purify). I double or triple the recipe to fill my spray bottle and spray my baby girl all over for some relief to her inflamed skin.

Apple cider vinegar solution (50% apple cider vinegar/50% water) to rinse or wash your dog in can restore the skin's acidity, kill off pathogens, and soothe the itch. You can also add a bit of apple cider vinegar to your dog's water to help from the inside as well.

• I feed her Stella and Chewy's salmon and cod meal mixers re-hydrated and mixed with her LID (limited ingredient diet) salmon and sweet potato kibble. Kibble is not very nutritious so it needs a boost. Stella and Chewy's is a wonderfully nutritious food, but it's expensive, so I have to mix it with a good quality kibble to keep the cost down. I am also giving her probiotics. Allergies can mean a lowered immune system and probiotics will boost the immune system. And I give her 1 tablespoon organic unrefined coconut oil in each meal. You should start small and work up to a tablespoon.
      She is doing better and it's such a relief to see her calm and not scratching!

A cute Cocker Spaniel

Close up of small black and white dogI am hoping to find a home remedy for my dog's itching. My dog is scratching herself raw and I'm unable to take her to the vet at this time. I was hoping for a home remedy that would help. Thank you.

By Dru from Newburgh, IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Our chihuahua had this same problem on her back. We tried several things, cortisone cream, steroids, special shampoos, sprays, etc. It would clear up and then come back within months. We did some research and decided to change her diet to exclude all wheat. We've been doing this for about two years now and she hasn't had even one bad itchy spell. It seems to be working for us, give it try, hopefully it will work for you too.

Read More Answers...

I have an almost 2 year old Neo Mastiff. Lately he has been scratching and nibbling at his skin around his butt, his back legs, and hips. He has scratched so much in one spot it is raw and red and the fur is very thin.

I have been giving him, antihistamines as I had thought it may be caused by the pollen in the air, but have had no luck helping him. I live on a dairy farm and have been giving him milk which he absolutely loves, but am thinking he may be allergic to this as I know other dogs are. Could someone please suggest a home remedy as I am unable to take my poor boy to the vet at the moment.

By T J

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have never used this product but it might be worth looking into. The web site is www.allergicpet.com

Hope this helps.

Read More Answers...

Woman and her dog.I recently read that 1/3c baby oil, 1/3c Listerine and 1/3c warm water is an amazing treatment, but what exactly does the Listerine do?

By Sara

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The Listerine has natural oils - Eucalyptol, Menthol, Thymol and Methyl Salicylate. This is why it is used to sooth irritated gums. It really does relieve the itching in a yeasty dog. Our Basset is having a really bad outbreak right now and she is soundly sleeping at the moment since applying the Listerine mixture on her a couple of hours ago.

When you mix it with the baby oil and the water (which dilutes the alcohol in the Listerine) there is plenty of oil in the solution. No need to add oil to the diet. I just give my Basset unrefined coconut oil as a supplement for her yeast issues.

Read More Answers...

Does your dog itch and make their skin so raw? Well, our little Stubby was and it was just horrible until we mixed the following:

• 1/3 water
      • 1/3 baby oil (to soften the skin)
      • 1/3 Listerine (the regular brown type)

Put this into a spray bottle and spray (of course away from the eyes). In a couple of days, you should see a lot of difference. For Stubby, this has made a big difference. Hope this helps your little ones.

I have a 4 year old Pit. Recently she has started scratching herself to the point to where she's bled and has sores under her sides and eyes. It not fleas or mange. We don't have the money for a vet, but would really appreciate some help with the itching until we can take her in.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You say it is not fleas or mange. That's great, but now you need to find out what it is.

If it is a fungus, apple cider vinegar bath is the best temporary solution. This will also help for yeast infection. You must also cut out treats and put the dog on a high protein, low-carb diet.

If it is a food allergy, stop feeding all treats and human food. Switch the dog to a non-allergenic food such as a grain-free soy-free food, and make sure he doesn't have access to another dog or cat's food.

If it's an environmental allergy you'll have to pinpoint what it is that is causing it and remove this from the environment.

I have no idea how you would tell which one it is. Maybe the process of elimination.

By the way, you seem sure it isn't mange. There are two kinds of mange mites, both of which can be seen under a microscope with a skin scraping. I assume you have already had this done? It is the ONLY way to tell for sure.

Read More Answers...

I want to mix baking soda with water to spray on my dogs paws. I have read that this will help to relieve itch. How much water and how much baking soda do I use?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If it's a fungus, baking soda will do nothing. If it's dry skin, the baking soda will make it worse.

Read More Answers...

My dog Chelsea is 9 months old. She is a chocolate Lab. She started itching about a month ago and I really wish I knew why. She bites her stomach around her belly button and now it's all pink and broken open and nasty looking. She also bites around her privates and it looks gross there too. I don't feed her anything unusual so I don't think it's that. I found one flea on her, but I'm pretty sure she is not infested. I bathe her with oatmeal flea shampoo and use the stuff you put on their neck. And if it was fleas, she would have been itching earlier. This started like a month ago. I'm just confused. I guess another vet visit is coming! Someone help haha.

By Savannah

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When you see one flea it means there are many more that you don't see, but rest assured, they are there. If a dog has a flea allergy, it doesn't take many to drive them crazy with itching. Think of just one mosquito bite on you! We have used Frontline spot on flea treatment monthly with great results.

Read More Answers...

swollen red skinMy dog Daisy, keeps scratching and licking her private area. I notice it is swollen there. What can I do?

By Lisa B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please take the poor dog to a vet. It's obvious the dog is suffering. How would you like your bottom to look like this? He may have infected anal glands or a host of other things all of which need treatment by a VET.

Read More Answers...

I have a 50 day old beagle. Suddenly he has developed severe itching on the back and sometimes bites his hind feet. He had fleas when we got him and I removed all of them. Earlier he didn't have any itching problem but suddenly it developed and now it is very severe. Any possible causes you can think of?

Anay from Mumbai, India

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Fleas are probably back, just not to the point that you notice them. It takes just one bite on a dog with a flea allergy to cause incessant itching, just like a person with just one mosquito bite. Treat for fleas before you see them, because most likely they are indeed there.

Read More Answers...

My dog has fleas. I gave him a flea bath, but he is still very itchy. What home remedy could I give him to help relieve his itch? The poor thing can hardly sleep.

By K

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have used Dermapaw for my dog, it was effective. I had tried a diet change and Benadryl before, but without success.

Read More Answers...

My baby girl is my 11 year old Toy Poodle. I have had her since birth. Approximately 5-6 years ago, she began suffering from severe itching and an awful odor that followed her scratching herself. No vet can give me a diagnosis or a lasting remedy. Medications are very temporary. I cannot watch her suffer any longer. Please help my baby girl. Our sincere thanks.

By Michele C and baby girl from Yulee, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Both my girls use to chew their feet until they were raw and inflammed. Took them to the vet. Vet said they had allergies. Vet told me to stop giving them chicken and beef cause most dogs are allergic to these products. He said the best thing to give them is lamb, duck and sweet potato.

He also told me to give them animal fish oil, not human fish oil.

I did change their diet and started them on fish oil and in no time the itchy feet stopped and never had a problem since.

To help them out to relieve the itchy feet, I would soak their little feet in epsom salt. This stuff is great cause it draws all the toxins out of the body through the skin. Most people don't know the skin is the largest organ of the body. A word of caution, do not let your pet drink the epsom salt water.

I got a plastic container, like the ones you put under the beds but smaller, filled it up with warm water just enough to get the dog's feet soaked, put the epsom salt, then put the dog in with all four feet in the water.

Try to keep the dog in for as long as they will let you. I also got a cup and would pour the warm water on her leg which she enjoyed and helped her to stay in the water. Hopes this helps you as much as it helped me and my girls.

Read More Answers...

I just visited my niece who has a rather large, medium-length haired dachshund/lab mix with a severe skin condition. The poor dog just bites and rolls around making agonizing sounds trying to relieve his itches. Parts of his leg and back are just raw.

My niece has had him tested for allergies (he's allergic to grasses, weeds, flowers, pretty much everything outside), and the only suggested relief was that he go on steroids. She's afraid to do that because of the effect on his liver, kidneys, etc.

She's also tried many over-the-counter remedies from pet stores, did research on the Internet, and has asked everyone she knows. Nothing seems to help. ThriftyFun readers, does anyone have some suggestions? We would really appreciate any thoughts. He's such a love, and sure an "unusual" looking dog!

By Caseye

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think in this case that the benefits of the Steroids way out weigh the risks. The risk of skin infection is very real and probably more dangerous at this point than the steroid side effects.

Read More Answers...

Peach is a 9 year old Maltese. She has been suffering from allergies for about 4 years. She also has pancreatitis, so she has to eat only special veterinarian food (Eukonuba Intestinal). We have tried every available shampoo here in Israel. The last 2 years we have bought a huge amount of special shampoos and were disappointed again and again. It seems that no shampoo will work for her. We bath her every 2 months or so, when she is really dirty. Any ideas what we can do? Maybe she is allergic to water?

By Rachel C.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ask your vet if your dog has seborreah. Does she feel oily, smell terrible and scratch constantly. If she does, please try Dinovite. It is a food supplement you can buy on line. We spent over $5,000 on vet bills, shots, medication, medicinal shampoos, etc. I have a closet full of remedies and nothing worked. After being on Dinovite for 4-5 weeks everything changed. People stop us on the street to tell us how beautiful he is. I would love to know how you make out.

Read More Answers...

I have a two year old Pomeranian. Last year at this time he broke out in hot spots all under belly and bad in pits of legs. Went on a vegetarian dog food. We did tons of meds from vet by mouth and shampoos and sprays. He lost almost all of his hair underneath.

It finally went away and now same time as last year it's back. He scratches it till it bleeds. Tons on speckled red splotches everywhere. Under his neck is the worst. Help please.

By Lisa M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Did you recently fertilize your lawn? I had a friend with a wiener dog who had to put a muzzle on his dog every spring because it had a "seasonal allergy" and would chew himself raw. I suggested he switch to organic fertilizer for his lawn and voila! No more allergy and no more muzzle.

Read More Answers...
          Load More
          Pets Dogs HealthNovember 29, 2012
          Woman with Itchy Scalp
          Remedies for Itchy Scalp
          Dog With Itchy Ears
          Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
          Itchy Puppy
          Puppy With Itchy Yellow Bumps
          Skin Folds
          Treating a Rash in Skin Folds
          © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 29, 2016 at 3:04:20 PM on 10.0.2.216 in 437 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.