Browsing: Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin

Dogs can suffer from itchy skin. This is a guide about a remedy for dog's itchy skin.

Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 10, 2016 Flag

I have adopted a toy breed mutt, 5yrs old. She is constantly itching, scratching, and biting herself. There are no hot spots or sores, it is almost like a habit that she just constantly does. There is also no evidence of fleas or food allergies. Any suggestions to alleviate the itchiness?

Hey!

Thanks for the response. It is not food, we, along with the vet, went through a year of food trials to make sure she was eating the right thing and she could apparently eat anything and be alright. I feel like it is chronic dry skin, I have heard fish oil is good to add to their food for that. What are your thoughts?

Yes, and you can buy it online. Also get a soft brush and put some coconut oil on it. Warm it up a bit and brush your dog with it. You really should do both, though, because topical treatments don't work for long unless they're ingesting the healthy...

August 30, 2010 Flag

My Maltese, Molly, had awfully itchy skin, so after spending hundreds of dollars on treatment I tried Epsom salts in her bath water, and it did the trick. She also had a badly infected eye from rubbing her face on the ground to ease the itching, this has also cleared up much to our relief. I put a handful of Epsom salts to the bath water, and if it's a bad case rinse twice making the last rinse another one with salts in it.

By Suanne from Australia

How much salt to add to the water?

September 8, 2015 Flag

My Cocker Spaniel baby has been struggling with allergies and itchy skin for several years and it has been an uphill battle. We started with using a doggie antihistamine with a small amount of steroid called Temeril P that you get from the vet. It helped some but wasn't super successful and I don't like giving her a steroid. She gets staph infections from all the scratching so we have been periodically putting on antibiotics to get her skin healed up. A cute Cocker Spaniel

Here are some of the things that have been helpful to her:

• She gets Benadryl twice a day, 1 mg per pound of weight.

• Bathing twice a week. Bathing removes allergens from the hair and skin which helps tremendously to relieve the itching. A simple bath will give dogs a lot of relief.

I've recently discovered that a rinse in chamomile tea helps a lot to calm her skin and stop the itching for a while. Make two cups of chamomile tea, using about 6 tea bags to make it strong. Let it cool and pour it into a spray bottle, then add warm (not hot) water and spray your dog's skin all over to relieve the itch. I've also rinsed my girl with witch hazel which offers some relief as well, but the chamomile tea has been the best so far.

Another rinse that has helped is 1/2 cup green tea mixed with 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar and 1 cup purified water (You can boil for 20 minutes to purify). I double or triple the recipe to fill my spray bottle and spray my baby girl all over for some relief to her inflamed skin.

Apple cider vinegar solution (50% apple cider vinegar/50% water) to rinse or wash your dog in can restore the skin's acidity, kill off pathogens, and soothe the itch. You can also add a bit of apple cider vinegar to your dog's water to help from the inside as well.

• I feed her Stella and Chewy's salmon and cod meal mixers re-hydrated and mixed with her LID (limited ingredient diet) salmon and sweet potato kibble. Kibble is not very nutritious so it needs a boost. Stella and Chewy's is a wonderfully nutritious food, but it's expensive, so I have to mix it with a good quality kibble to keep the cost down. I am also giving her probiotics. Allergies can mean a lowered immune system and probiotics will boost the immune system. And I give her 1 tablespoon organic unrefined coconut oil in each meal. You should start small and work up to a tablespoon.
    She is doing better and it's such a relief to see her calm and not scratching!

I too use coconut oil and have seen a huge difference in my dogs skin condition and coat....really helps with itching too.

August 14, 2004 Flag

Does your dog itch and make their skin so raw? Well, our little Stubby was and it was just horrible until we mixed the following. Put this into a spray bottle and spray. In a couple of days, you should see a lot of difference.

July 17, 2016 Flag

I have a two year old Chihuahua/Yorkie mix. She has been itching and biting her legs and under her stomach. I have taken her to the vet, but he only gives her steroids. It lasts for 2/3 months and she gets it again. I can not afford to continue to keep taking her back. It's costly. What can I do to relieve her from that itching. I've used anti-itch cream, Benadryl, and tea tree oil. What else can I try?

Your dog may be allergic to lawn fertilizer. I had a friend whose dachshund had this problem. Poor little guy had to wear a muzzle to prevent him chewing his feet, belly and legs. they switched to organic lawn fertilizer and all the itching disappeared. If this happens primarily in the summer try switching to organic lawn fertilizer and see if it helps.

Probably yeast infection. Very prevalent during humid hot summers. Try probiotics during feeding, stay away from starchy dog food with corn, potatoes, heavy grains and use vinegar/water mix as a rinse. Caused from the gut.

April 27, 2015 Flag

My Pit/Blue Heeler, Nyla, has had a skin infection for almost 4 months. It is on her neck, vulva, stomach, inner leg, armpits, and under her eyes. She came back from a 2 week stay with a dog sitter with a very bad flea infestation. It took 2 months to cure. Right after that she started to lick and bite to the point of blood. Only when she licks I can see puss blisters. I believe the infection started from her backside, seeing how she jumps up as if something is biting her.

I took her to the vet ($300), they gave her antibacterial shampoo and spray, steroids, and antibiotics. For a week her skin started clearing up and fur started to grow, but after that the progression stopped. The medicine never stopped the itching so I bought a funnel for her. Then someone told me about apple cider, vinegar, peroxide, and water mix. I put it on her and I started to see mild visible red spots. The next day I tried again and one minute later for the first time I felt hot spots and her ears were hot. I don't know if it was the mix, or the infection itself fighting against the mix. I'm scared to keep using the mix. I'm at my wits end seeing her suffer. I need help please! Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

*Have you returned to your vet for a recheck and other possible treatment - important to do so?

*Your dog may be allergic to something in her environment-smoke, cleaning chemicals, detergent, soap, scent sprays, etc., could be many things you may not think are a problem.

*Consider removing her from your home and boarding her for a few weeks, or perhaps a relative or friend could care for her. If she improves, you will need to consider everything in your house and outside as possible problems.

I soak my dog in a room temperature oatmeal bath and then on the hot spots and sores, I apply an ointment called NEOSPORIN (for humans) it's an antibiotic combination to prevent infects. Do not let the dog lick. You can put on a bell or do like I do, after...

December 3, 2009 Flag

If your pet has allergies and you find him/her scratching and licking and having "hot spots" remove one item at a time from their diet for at least 3 weeks. It took me almost a year to learn my Bichon was allergic to rice.

Bichon under blanket.

January 24, 2014 Flag

Woman and her dog.I recently read that 1/3c baby oil, 1/3c Listerine and 1/3c warm water is an amazing treatment, but what exactly does the Listerine do?

By Sara

The Listerine has natural oils - Eucalyptol, Menthol, Thymol and Methyl Salicylate. This is why it is used to sooth irritated gums. It really does relieve the itching in a yeasty dog. Our Basset is having a really bad outbreak right now and she is soundly sleeping at the moment since applying the Listerine mixture on her a couple of hours ago.

When you mix it with the baby oil and the water (which dilutes the alcohol in the Listerine) there is plenty of oil in the solution. No need to add oil to the diet. I just give my Basset unrefined coconut oil as a supplement for her yeast issues.

I give my dog plain yogurt everyday as she has yeast issues. Haven't had her back to the vet for their expensive meds!

May 24, 2011 Flag

I am hoping to find a home remedy for my dog's itching. My dog is scratching herself raw and I'm unable to take her to the vet at this time. I was hoping for a home remedy that would help. Thank you.

Close up of small black and white dog

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Pets Dogs HealthNovember 29, 2012
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
child rubbing eyes
Remedies for Itchy Eyes
Itchy Puppy
Puppy With Itchy Yellow Bumps
Skin Folds
Treating a Rash in Skin Folds
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 28, 2016 at 1:16:59 PM on 10.0.2.212 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.