Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin

Category Health
Dogs can suffer from itchy skin. This is a guide about a remedy for dog's itchy skin.

My Cocker Spaniel baby has been struggling with allergies and itchy skin for several years and it has been an uphill battle. We started with using a doggie antihistamine with a small amount of steroid called Temeril P that you get from the vet. It helped some but wasn't super successful and I don't like giving her a steroid. She gets staph infections from all the scratching so we have been periodically putting on antibiotics to get her skin healed up.

Here are some of the things that have been helpful to her:

• She gets Benadryl twice a day, 1 mg per pound of weight.

• Bathing twice a week. Bathing removes allergens from the hair and skin which helps tremendously to relieve the itching. A simple bath will give dogs a lot of relief.

I've recently discovered that a rinse in chamomile tea helps a lot to calm her skin and stop the itching for a while. Make two cups of chamomile tea, using about 6 tea bags to make it strong. Let it cool and pour it into a spray bottle, then add warm (not hot) water and spray your dog's skin all over to relieve the itch. I've also rinsed my girl with witch hazel which offers some relief as well, but the chamomile tea has been the best so far.

Another rinse that has helped is 1/2 cup green tea mixed with 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar and 1 cup purified water (You can boil for 20 minutes to purify). I double or triple the recipe to fill my spray bottle and spray my baby girl all over for some relief to her inflamed skin.

Apple cider vinegar solution (50% apple cider vinegar/50% water) to rinse or wash your dog in can restore the skin's acidity, kill off pathogens, and soothe the itch. You can also add a bit of apple cider vinegar to your dog's water to help from the inside as well.

• I feed her Stella and Chewy's salmon and cod meal mixers re-hydrated and mixed with her LID (limited ingredient diet) salmon and sweet potato kibble. Kibble is not very nutritious so it needs a boost. Stella and Chewy's is a wonderfully nutritious food, but it's expensive, so I have to mix it with a good quality kibble to keep the cost down. I am also giving her probiotics. Allergies can mean a lowered immune system and probiotics will boost the immune system. And I give her 1 tablespoon organic unrefined coconut oil in each meal. You should start small and work up to a tablespoon.
    She is doing better and it's such a relief to see her calm and not scratching!

Top Comment

I have a labordoole who was miserable. Found on Pinterest to put olive oil on his food. He weighs 85 pounds I put one tablespoon on his dry food, in one week he has almost completely quit scratching.

My Maltese, Molly, had awfully itchy skin, so after spending hundreds of dollars on treatment I tried Epsom salts in her bath water, and it did the trick. She also had a badly infected eye from rubbing her face on the ground to ease the itching, this has also cleared up much to our relief. I put a handful of Epsom salts to the bath water, and if it's a bad case rinse twice making the last rinse another one with salts in it.

By Suanne from Australia

How much salt to add to the water?

A dog itching in the grass.

This is a guide about relieving itching for dogs. Determining the cause of your pet's itchy skin, is the first step to providing relief.

Does your dog itch and make their skin so raw? Well, our little Stubby was and it was just horrible until we mixed the following. Put this into a spray bottle and spray. In a couple of days, you should see a lot of difference.

For dry, itchy skin and shedding, give your dog an oatmeal bath.

A dog wearing a cone on it's head to prevent it from itching.

This is a guide about home remedy for dog's eczema. Determining the cause of your dog's skin problem can help you get it under control.

A cute beagle sitting on the floor.

This is a guide about my Beagle is itching. Relieving your dog's itchiness is an important part of caring for your pet.

Is witch hazel harmful to dogs?

Make sure the dog can't lick it off.

I recently read that 1/3c baby oil, 1/3c Listerine and 1/3c warm water is an amazing treatment, but what exactly does the Listerine do?

By Sara

Answer Was this helpful? 2

The Listerine has natural oils - Eucalyptol, Menthol, Thymol and Methyl Salicylate. This is why it is used to sooth irritated gums. It really does relieve the itching in a yeasty dog. Our Basset is having a really bad outbreak right now and she is soundly sleeping at the moment since applying the Listerine mixture on her a couple of hours ago.

When you mix it with the baby oil and the water (which dilutes the alcohol in the Listerine) there is plenty of oil in the solution. No need to add oil to the diet. I just give my Basset unrefined coconut oil as a supplement for her yeast issues.

My Pit/Blue Heeler, Nyla, has had a skin infection for almost 4 months. It is on her neck, vulva, stomach, inner leg, armpits, and under her eyes. She came back from a 2 week stay with a dog sitter with a very bad flea infestation. It took 2 months to cure. Right after that she started to lick and bite to the point of blood. Only when she licks I can see puss blisters. I believe the infection started from her backside, seeing how she jumps up as if something is biting her.

I took her to the vet ($300), they gave her antibacterial shampoo and spray, steroids, and antibiotics. For a week her skin started clearing up and fur started to grow, but after that the progression stopped. The medicine never stopped the itching so I bought a funnel for her. Then someone told me about apple cider, vinegar, peroxide, and water mix. I put it on her and I started to see mild visible red spots. The next day I tried again and one minute later for the first time I felt hot spots and her ears were hot. I don't know if it was the mix, or the infection itself fighting against the mix. I'm scared to keep using the mix. I'm at my wits end seeing her suffer. I need help please! Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

*Have you returned to your vet for a recheck and other possible treatment - important to do so?

*Your dog may be allergic to something in her environment-smoke, cleaning chemicals, detergent, soap, scent sprays, etc., could be many things you may not think are a problem.

*Consider removing her from your home and boarding her for a few weeks, or perhaps a relative or friend could care for her. If she improves, you will need to consider everything in your house and outside as possible problems.

I have adopted a toy breed mutt, 5yrs old. She is constantly itching, scratching, and biting herself. There are no hot spots or sores, it is almost like a habit that she just constantly does. There is also no evidence of fleas or food allergies. Any suggestions to alleviate the itchiness?

Yes, and you can buy it online. Also get a soft brush and put some coconut oil on it. Warm it up a bit and brush your dog with it. You really should do both, though, because topical treatments don't work for long unless they're ingesting the healthy oils.

I am hoping to find a home remedy for my dog's itching. My dog is scratching herself raw and I'm unable to take her to the vet at this time. I was hoping for a home remedy that would help. Thank you.

By Dru from Newburgh, IN

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I heard putting oatmeal in a bath relieves itching instantly. You will need to put ground it down 1st.

I have an almost 2 year old Neo Mastiff. Lately he has been scratching and nibbling at his skin around his butt, his back legs, and hips. He has scratched so much in one spot it is raw and red and the fur is very thin.

I have been giving him, antihistamines as I had thought it may be caused by the pollen in the air, but have had no luck helping him. I live on a dairy farm and have been giving him milk which he absolutely loves, but am thinking he may be allergic to this as I know other dogs are. Could someone please suggest a home remedy as I am unable to take my poor boy to the vet at the moment.

By T J

Answer Was this helpful? 2

This sounds like it could be a food allergy. You will need to try different foods or home cooking recipes. If you are lucky you will find a prepared food for allergies that will work. I did home cooking for my cairn terrier and he never had another problem. There are some great posts on this website, including mine. Good luck to you.

I have a two year old Chihuahua/Yorkie mix. She has been itching and biting her legs and under her stomach. I have taken her to the vet, but he only gives her steroids. It lasts for 2/3 months and she gets it again. I can not afford to continue to keep taking her back. It's costly. What can I do to relieve her from that itching. I've used anti-itch cream, Benadryl, and tea tree oil. What else can I try?

Probably yeast infection. Very prevalent during humid hot summers. Try probiotics during feeding, stay away from starchy dog food with corn, potatoes, heavy grains and use vinegar/water mix as a rinse. Caused from the gut.

My baby girl is my 11 year old Toy Poodle. I have had her since birth. Approximately 5-6 years ago, she began suffering from severe itching and an awful odor that followed her scratching herself. No vet can give me a diagnosis or a lasting remedy. Medications are very temporary. I cannot watch her suffer any longer. Please help my baby girl. Our sincere thanks.

By Michele C and baby girl from Yulee, FL

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Have they checked for diabetes?

How do I help my dog to stop scratching?

There are many reasons why your dog scratches; the scratching itself is only a symptom of the real problem. If you do not know the reason for your dog's problem, you will not be able to provide the correct treatment. Your friend is obviously suffering! Please take your dog to your vet immediately for a diagnosis and proper treatment for the scratching problem.

I have 2 dogs, an 8 year old Shepherd mix and a 5 year old Beagle. Every summer they both start scratching and chewing. They don't have fleas or ticks. In the winter they don't have any problems, no scratching or chewing. They have access to the yard any time they want to go out (dog door). The itching is driving them nuts and me too. My Shepherd mix will chew her butt so badly that she has scabs. My Beagle chews and pulls out some of her hair on her sides, she also licks her feet a lot. It is not their food, they eat the same thing year round. What can I do to help them?

Especially in the sumner, your dogs are suffering from hotspots, most likely. German Shepherds are among the breeds susceptible to these things, which are caused by heat and sebaceous glands and the long hair. When moist, dead air is trapped by the long hair, the infection occurs.

"Hot spots are basically angry looking sores. They are characterized as being red, hairless, inflamed areas of skin that are warm to the touch and very painful and itchy for your dog. They're fairly easy to spot as most often the area exudes pus and can be foul smelling. You'll probably notice your dog obsessively itching, licking and biting at the area. "

http://www.dog-  ots-in-dogs.html

one cure is to bathe your dogs more frequently, especially in the summer. Use an antibacterial shampoo.

I have a 4 year old Pit. Recently she has started scratching herself to the point to where she's bled and has sores under her sides and eyes. It not fleas or mange. We don't have the money for a vet, but would really appreciate some help with the itching until we can take her in.

Shell

Peach is a 9 year old Maltese. She has been suffering from allergies for about 4 years. She also has pancreatitis, so she has to eat only special veterinarian food (Eukonuba Intestinal). We have tried every available shampoo here in Israel. The last 2 years we have bought a huge amount of special shampoos and were disappointed again and again. It seems that no shampoo will work for her. We bath her every 2 months or so, when she is really dirty. Any ideas what we can do? Maybe she is allergic to water?

By Rachel C.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Ask your vet if your dog has seborreah. Does she feel oily, smell terrible and scratch constantly. If she does, please try Dinovite. It is a food supplement you can buy on line. We spent over $5,000 on vet bills, shots, medication, medicinal shampoos, etc. I have a closet full of remedies and nothing worked. After being on Dinovite for 4-5 weeks everything changed. People stop us on the street to tell us how beautiful he is. I would love to know how you make out.

My dog Chelsea is 9 months old. She is a chocolate Lab. She started itching about a month ago and I really wish I knew why. She bites her stomach around her belly button and now it's all pink and broken open and nasty looking. She also bites around her privates and it looks gross there too. I don't feed her anything unusual so I don't think it's that. I found one flea on her, but I'm pretty sure she is not infested. I bathe her with oatmeal flea shampoo and use the stuff you put on their neck. And if it was fleas, she would have been itching earlier. This started like a month ago. I'm just confused. I guess another vet visit is coming! Someone help haha.

By Savannah

My three year old blue pitbull broke out - red under belly, scabs on her head, boils on her legs. She was in heat when this happened in the back yard a lot. I was cutting the grass. She is three and we moved from a house with sunny back yard to a old house with a lot of trees. Its been two weeks and she looks horrible. I just got some epson salts and bathed her in it. will get back to everyone.

I want to mix baking soda with water to spray on my dogs paws. I have read that this will help to relieve itch. How much water and how much baking soda do I use?

If it's a fungus, baking soda will do nothing. If it's dry skin, the baking soda will make it worse.

My dog has fleas. I gave him a flea bath, but he is still very itchy. What home remedy could I give him to help relieve his itch? The poor thing can hardly sleep.

By K

I have used Dermapaw for my dog, it was effective. I had tried a diet change and Benadryl before, but without success.

Load More