Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin

Category Health
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Dogs can suffer from itchy skin. This is a guide about a remedy for dog's itchy skin.

My Cocker Spaniel baby has been struggling with allergies and itchy skin for several years and it has been an uphill battle. We started with using a doggie antihistamine with a small amount of steroid called Temeril P that you get from the vet. It helped some but wasn't super successful and I don't like giving her a steroid. She gets staph infections from all the scratching so we have been periodically putting on antibiotics to get her skin healed up.

Here are some of the things that have been helpful to her:

• She gets Benadryl twice a day, 1 mg per pound of weight.

• Bathing twice a week. Bathing removes allergens from the hair and skin which helps tremendously to relieve the itching. A simple bath will give dogs a lot of relief.

I've recently discovered that a rinse in chamomile tea helps a lot to calm her skin and stop the itching for a while. Make two cups of chamomile tea, using about 6 tea bags to make it strong. Let it cool and pour it into a spray bottle, then add warm (not hot) water and spray your dog's skin all over to relieve the itch. I've also rinsed my girl with witch hazel which offers some relief as well, but the chamomile tea has been the best so far.

Another rinse that has helped is 1/2 cup green tea mixed with 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar and 1 cup purified water (You can boil for 20 minutes to purify). I double or triple the recipe to fill my spray bottle and spray my baby girl all over for some relief to her inflamed skin.

Apple cider vinegar solution (50% apple cider vinegar/50% water) to rinse or wash your dog in can restore the skin's acidity, kill off pathogens, and soothe the itch. You can also add a bit of apple cider vinegar to your dog's water to help from the inside as well.

• I feed her Stella and Chewy's salmon and cod meal mixers re-hydrated and mixed with her LID (limited ingredient diet) salmon and sweet potato kibble. Kibble is not very nutritious so it needs a boost. Stella and Chewy's is a wonderfully nutritious food, but it's expensive, so I have to mix it with a good quality kibble to keep the cost down. I am also giving her probiotics. Allergies can mean a lowered immune system and probiotics will boost the immune system. And I give her 1 tablespoon organic unrefined coconut oil in each meal. You should start small and work up to a tablespoon.
    She is doing better and it's such a relief to see her calm and not scratching!

Top Comment

I have a labordoole who was miserable. Found on Pinterest to put olive oil on his food. He weighs 85 pounds I put one tablespoon on his dry food, in one week he has almost completely quit scratching.

My Maltese, Molly, had awfully itchy skin, so after spending hundreds of dollars on treatment I tried Epsom salts in her bath water, and it did the trick. She also had a badly infected eye from rubbing her face on the ground to ease the itching, this has also cleared up much to our relief. I put a handful of Epsom salts to the bath water, and if it's a bad case rinse twice making the last rinse another one with salts in it.

By Suanne from Australia

Does your dog itch and make their skin so raw? Well, our little Stubby was and it was just horrible until we mixed the following:

Put this into a spray bottle and spray (of course away from the eyes). In a couple of days, you should see a lot of difference. For Stubby, this has made a big difference. Hope this helps your little ones.

For dry, itchy skin and shedding, give your dog an oatmeal bath.

Editor's Note: Pulverize one cup of oatmeal into powder in your blender and add to the tub, filled with lukewarm water up to the middle of your your dog's chest.

By A Alexander from NV

This is a guide about relieving itching for dogs. Determining the cause of your pet's itchy skin, is the first step to providing relief.

A dog itching in the grass.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about my Beagle is itching. Relieving your dog's itchiness is an important part of caring for your pet.

A cute beagle sitting on the floor.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about home remedy for dog's eczema. Determining the cause of your dog's skin problem can help you get it under control.

A dog wearing a cone on it's head to prevent it from itching.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Witch hazel can be used to treat your dog's itchy skin or paws. This is a guide about using witch hazel on dogs.

Cleaning Dog's Ear

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I am hoping to find a home remedy for my dog's itching. My dog is scratching herself raw and I'm unable to take her to the vet at this time. I was hoping for a home remedy that would help. Thank you.

By Dru from Newburgh, IN

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have a brussels griffon and she has had the same problem. Here are few things that have helped. BTW - we found out that she was allergic to potatoes as well.

First of all this is the season for high allergies on dogs.

-checked her food and made sure it contains no potatoes (i give my dog Blue Buffalo Wilderness Canned Dog Food)

-Wash twice a week with Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Totally Natural Pet Shampoo

-added to her food EFA-Z Plus 16 oz Bottle (you can find a small bottle for about 10.00 on amazon ( this wil give her more vitamins and minerals for their coat. my dog's friend (mixed beagle) had the same problem and her vet recommended)

All of these things have eased her from her itching. She use to chew her knees until they would start bleeding and her little paws. Now that we started doing the above, all is well and didn't have to spend a lot $$$$. Yeah sure we bought some stuff but she is happy and I'm not pumping her with medications or using harmfel products.. You will see a difference within a week. Good luck and I hope your doggy feels better.

Oatmeal bathes or baking soda bathes can relieve some of itching. Trying to find cause is main concern. Some types of flea control can irritate skin. Good luck!

Our dog Clarence has the same problem on his back end... We tried everything, even the cone. Now have great success with Benadryl cream, Extra Strength. We apply it about every other day to the itchy area, rubbing it in well...no more itching, no more sores...and he cooperates with the application, so we know he understands he is being helped, in fact during the application he wags his tail.

What do you feed your furbaby? Please make sure there is NO wheat in the food--many dogs have wheat allergies. Also, do you use chemicals on your lawn? On your floors? In your home? Have you changed laundry detergent?

Vinegar is a great natural cleaner, and you can add 1/2 c to your rinse water when you do laundry, just don't use softener sheets in the dryer afterward! Could she have fleas? Using diatomaceous earth, a natural 'killer' of pests, can be sprinkled in her coat and rubbed a bit. . Avoid her eyes and nose.

I hope you find the answer for your little one soon!

Our dog had the exact same problem, allergies and scratching to the point of making himself bleed. The only thing which helped, and helped immediately, was Aveeno Colloidal Oatmeal Bath. You can find this at any drugstore and many supermarkets for around $12. It is truly a life saver. Simply wet down Your dog with tepid water. Fill the tub with enough water so the dog can soak and add one to two of the oatmeal packets. There will be an immediate relief as long as you use luke warm water and NEVER hot. Let him soak as long as he is comfortable and then rinse it off with cool, but not cold water. Best wishes. I know this help! (I do not rinse the product completely off my dog, Just leave a little on so it continues to sooth.

Simple changes, always for health. No chemicals, please. No vaccines, they destroy the immune system. Build immune system with good food practices. No corn wheat or soy in anything, including dog cookies. Some fresh RAW in the diet. Thuja homeopathic helps with vaccine destruction. 20 Mule Team Borax, dry, into all carpets for fleas. Read my past posts for details, always for good immune system and ongoing health.

A soap from Happy Critters Farm worked wonders for my itchy dog. Their email is www.happycritterfarm.com

My dachshund has been having a really bad time itching lately too. About 2 years ago she started getting these "bumps" on her that at first resemble big pimples. And they itch like mad. She also was itching in places where there were no bumps, or where a future bump would develop. I had taken her to the vet countless times and was always told not to worry, and they'd give her an expensive prescription that was supposed to stop the itch, but of course it didn't.

I tried many things over the counter, Benadryl, calamine, allergy pills, everything I could find and nothing worked for more than a few minutes at a time. I finally came across a product that is working great! It's actually a combination of two forms of one product. One is Cortizone-10 Cooling Relief Gel. I use this one when she's actually itching and it stops the itch on the spot. Then there is Cortizone-10 Intensive Healing Formula. Once the itch is stopped (and the gel has dried) I put this on her. This one has actually been healing these bumps that have been there for over 2 years!

At first I was putting these on her several times a day, every time I'd see her scratching for more than a few seconds. Now it's down to once every 2-3 days and seems to be getting better all the time. Between the 2 products she's a lot more comfortable and I don't see her scratching anywhere near as much as before.

BTW, I get this at Wal Mart, and it generally runs about $3 something a tube. Still a lot less than the ineffective stuff from the vet. And each tube will usually last at least a week.

Hope this helps!

Could be allergies.That's what it was w/my beagle. Prednisone for 14 days did the trick; about $14. But you will need to see the vet for a 'scrip. Or try online for something through Dr. Foster & Smith. Other than that, in addition, I am now religiously putting 1/2 tsp. vegetable oil (preferable cannola oil) in her food. Morning & night. Recommended by my vet. Also oatmeal shampoo for their bath. It's wet this spring. A lot of animals are suffering from allergies and/or dry skin. Good luck.

Given the time of year I would suspect lawn fertilizer. It is a common allergy. Organic fertilizers work well and wont cause allergies. If all this advice doesnt do the trick, be sure to see a Vet. Mange has bad long term consequences, and needs to be diagnosed by a Vet. Good luck.

This could be a range of things from internal to external. The only person to answer this is your professional Veterinarian if you love your dear little girl ( and i'm sure you do ) please consult them ASAP because right now her life is miserable. Try and come to an agreement regarding payment with your Vet they are not heartless

people but like any other public service they charge a fee. Good luck.

I recently read that 1/3c baby oil, 1/3c Listerine and 1/3c warm water is an amazing treatment, but what exactly does the Listerine do?

By Sara

Answer Was this helpful? 2

I have an almost 2 year old Neo Mastiff. Lately he has been scratching and nibbling at his skin around his butt, his back legs, and hips. He has scratched so much in one spot it is raw and red and the fur is very thin.

I have been giving him, antihistamines as I had thought it may be caused by the pollen in the air, but have had no luck helping him. I live on a dairy farm and have been giving him milk which he absolutely loves, but am thinking he may be allergic to this as I know other dogs are. Could someone please suggest a home remedy as I am unable to take my poor boy to the vet at the moment.

By T J

Answer Was this helpful? 2

My baby girl is my 11 year old Toy Poodle. I have had her since birth. Approximately 5-6 years ago, she began suffering from severe itching and an awful odor that followed her scratching herself. No vet can give me a diagnosis or a lasting remedy. Medications are very temporary. I cannot watch her suffer any longer. Please help my baby girl. Our sincere thanks.

By Michele C and baby girl from Yulee, FL

Answer Was this helpful? 1

My Pit/Blue Heeler, Nyla, has had a skin infection for almost 4 months. It is on her neck, vulva, stomach, inner leg, armpits, and under her eyes. She came back from a 2 week stay with a dog sitter with a very bad flea infestation. It took 2 months to cure. Right after that she started to lick and bite to the point of blood. Only when she licks I can see puss blisters. I believe the infection started from her backside, seeing how she jumps up as if something is biting her.

I took her to the vet ($300), they gave her antibacterial shampoo and spray, steroids, and antibiotics. For a week her skin started clearing up and fur started to grow, but after that the progression stopped. The medicine never stopped the itching so I bought a funnel for her. Then someone told me about apple cider, vinegar, peroxide, and water mix. I put it on her and I started to see mild visible red spots. The next day I tried again and one minute later for the first time I felt hot spots and her ears were hot. I don't know if it was the mix, or the infection itself fighting against the mix. I'm scared to keep using the mix. I'm at my wits end seeing her suffer. I need help please! Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

*Have you returned to your vet for a recheck and other possible treatment - important to do so?

*Your dog may be allergic to something in her environment-smoke, cleaning chemicals, detergent, soap, scent sprays, etc., could be many things you may not think are a problem.

*Consider removing her from your home and boarding her for a few weeks, or perhaps a relative or friend could care for her. If she improves, you will need to consider everything in your house and outside as possible problems.

Peach is a 9 year old Maltese. She has been suffering from allergies for about 4 years. She also has pancreatitis, so she has to eat only special veterinarian food (Eukonuba Intestinal). We have tried every available shampoo here in Israel. The last 2 years we have bought a huge amount of special shampoos and were disappointed again and again. It seems that no shampoo will work for her. We bath her every 2 months or so, when she is really dirty. Any ideas what we can do? Maybe she is allergic to water?

By Rachel C.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

My friend recently got her first dog, Suzy, a rescue dog. Suzy has had to wear a cone most of the time that my friend has had her because she will bite and lick herself raw if she doesn't have the cone on.

She is on two types of flea medication, uses hypo-allergenic shampoo and is on a restricted diet. She has also been taken into the vet, where they gave her a cortisone shot.

Anybody have any ideas of what is causes her to do this? My friend is at her wits end and doesn't know what else to do.

By Stellabell from Manchester, WA

In August, my dog started itching like crazy. Her sister was itching, too, but not as badly. She scratched a bald spot on herself. I bathed both of them, could not find any fleas, and then the itching subsided somewhat.

I took her and her sister to the vet. Several tests were run, they all came out negative, no mites, no fleas, no indication that her intestines had the wrong bacterial flora, and no pancreatitis.

Has anyone had this happen? The vet put her on a steroid and fish oil. I'm confused by this, I just don't get it.

By Carol from SouthBend, IN

My dog Chelsea is 9 months old. She is a chocolate Lab. She started itching about a month ago and I really wish I knew why. She bites her stomach around her belly button and now it's all pink and broken open and nasty looking. She also bites around her privates and it looks gross there too. I don't feed her anything unusual so I don't think it's that. I found one flea on her, but I'm pretty sure she is not infested. I bathe her with oatmeal flea shampoo and use the stuff you put on their neck. And if it was fleas, she would have been itching earlier. This started like a month ago. I'm just confused. I guess another vet visit is coming! Someone help haha.

By Savannah

I have adopted a toy breed mutt, 5yrs old. She is constantly itching, scratching, and biting herself. There are no hot spots or sores, it is almost like a habit that she just constantly does. There is also no evidence of fleas or food allergies. Any suggestions to alleviate the itchiness?

I have a 4 year old Pit. Recently she has started scratching herself to the point to where she's bled and has sores under her sides and eyes. It not fleas or mange. We don't have the money for a vet, but would really appreciate some help with the itching until we can take her in.

My 3 year old Australian Cattle dog mix starts itching around August every year then stops with cold weather. It seems to be an overall itch. His skin isn't red or anything, but you can tell he is miserable with scratching. My other dog doesn't have this problem so we're not sure if something in the yard is the culprit. We've tried oatmeal bath and Benadryl - no success. Today it'll be Epsom salts. Anyone have a hint?

By Trudy R.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have a 4 year old dog. She is part Shih Tzu and part Yorkie. I have been putting virgin olive oil mixed in with her food. I use 1/2 teaspoon to one cup of food. I keep her groomed and clean. They have changed her food thinking she is allergic to the food. She still scratches and she also gnaws at her feet. She does not have fleas. I have given her Benadryl, but it only makes her sleepy. Please help.

By Brenda L.

How do I help my Chihuahua to stop itching?

By Carolyn from Spokane, WA

Answer Was this helpful? 2

My English bulldog was treated for every type of skin irritation in the book. She frequently had infections that required medication-sprays, pills, special shampoo-on and on. One fortunate day for Daisy and me, we saw a new vet in the practice. He suggested we try to approach her skin condition as a food allergy. We changed her food and she has not had any more problems. She eats Iams for sensitive skin and looks wonderful. No more constant itching and scratching. I hope you find your solution. We were just very lucky.

My chihuahua went through the same skin problem along with yeast in the ears. I changed his dog food to NUTRO I bought at PETCO and after 2 weeks, his skin and ears cleared up. He was allergic to the dog food I was giving him. He is 12 years old and runs around like he's a pup since. I will never feed him cheap dog food again. You're not alone, I've been through all those remedies and vet bills. Give it a try. Good luck!

I have a chihuahua also and he has one spot on his neck that he scratches a lot. In the pet department of some stores you can find a hydrocortisone spray, also, benadryl spray will stop the itching. You can add a little oatmeal to his bath, regular not instant. Oatmeal soothes the skin. You can put it in your bath also if you have skin problems.

The best thing to do is get pills (which are chewable and yummy to dogs) that have omega 3 oils and brewers yeast. Our dog had itchy problems constantly til we got these. Also, there are a lot of treats out there that have those ingredients as well. You can get the pills at Walmart for less than $5 for like 100 of them. You can even find the treats at the dollar store.

I have a two year old Chihuahua/Yorkie mix. She has been itching and biting her legs and under her stomach. I have taken her to the vet, but he only gives her steroids. It lasts for 2/3 months and she gets it again. I can not afford to continue to keep taking her back. It's costly. What can I do to relieve her from that itching. I've used anti-itch cream, Benadryl, and tea tree oil. What else can I try?

My dog has fleas. I gave him a flea bath, but he is still very itchy. What home remedy could I give him to help relieve his itch? The poor thing can hardly sleep.

By K

I just visited my niece who has a rather large, medium-length haired dachshund/lab mix with a severe skin condition. The poor dog just bites and rolls around making agonizing sounds trying to relieve his itches. Parts of his leg and back are just raw.

My niece has had him tested for allergies (he's allergic to grasses, weeds, flowers, pretty much everything outside), and the only suggested relief was that he go on steroids. She's afraid to do that because of the effect on his liver, kidneys, etc.

She's also tried many over-the-counter remedies from pet stores, did research on the Internet, and has asked everyone she knows. Nothing seems to help. ThriftyFun readers, does anyone have some suggestions? We would really appreciate any thoughts. He's such a love, and sure an "unusual" looking dog!

By Caseye

Can I give Benadryl to my 3 month old Yorkie terrier for itchy skin? And if so, how much?

By Kelly

I wouldn't. I think she's to young and even when she is older she will be too little for you to know how much she can take. I have a yokie too. You could be bathing her to much. Try using baby shampoo and fragance free conditioner and only bath her once a month.

Please don't give dogs and cats human medication. I've read too many stories about pets becoming ill or dying because they've been given human medication. I suggest a gentle, natural, alternative medicine treatment. Take a look at Only Natural Pet . com even just for ideas. I've used a sneezing remedy for my cats from them, safe, effective, gentle!

The vet. has me give my 5lb. 9 year old dog 2.5 ml of liquid childerns benadryl for itchy bumps and skin redness. If it were me I would only do this if a trusted vet. told me to.

Two different vets told me my Labrador mix has a staph infection. She has been on antibiotics 3 times to no avail. I give her yogurt, grain free dry food, make green bean, carrot, pea, and chicken mix and give her probiotics every day. My vet put her on thyroid meds as he says she has problems. She has scabby, smelly sores on her back. I have used several different shampoos, sprayed her with lavender and witch hazel spray and she still stinks like a dead animal. I am at the end of my rope and don't know what to do about the smell and the staph. Oh and I put pure coconut oil on the sores and it did not help. Thank you for your time.

I want to mix baking soda with water to spray on my dogs paws. I have read that this will help to relieve itch. How much water and how much baking soda do I use?

My dog Daisy, keeps scratching and licking her private area. I notice it is swollen there. What can I do?

By Lisa B.

Our 3 1/2 year old English Lab has had skin and yeast infections continuously for at least a year or more.

In the summer it is especially bad. He's in the pool all week and the lake all weekend. The areas that hold the moisture best (i.e. neck folds, genitals, and between his toes) are the worst. Each time he scratches the odor is intensified. He reeks.

The vet has given us steroids, antihistamines, antibiotics, creams, and pills of all sorts. We have seen little to no improvement. Any improvement from treatments lasts until the antibiotics are finished.

Furthermore, the skin on his neck has reached a blackened color and he continually has ear infections. Other areas such as his genitals and paws are red from irritation. Keeping him out of the water doesn't help a whole lot - in the winter, the problem persists despite his inaccessibility to water.

The otherwise blissfully happy Lab is clearly in discomfort and he smells awful. He itches and scratches relentlessly and I hate to see him so uncomfortable. Any suggestions?

By Lindsey C

Load More