Browsing: Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin

Dogs can suffer from itchy skin. This is a guide about a remedy for dog's itchy skin.

Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 17, 2016 Flag

I have a two year old Chihuahua/Yorkie mix. She has been itching and biting her legs and under her stomach. I have taken her to the vet, but he only gives her steroids. It lasts for 2/3 months and she gets it again. I can not afford to continue to keep taking her back. It's costly. What can I do to relieve her from that itching. I've used anti-itch cream, Benadryl, and tea tree oil. What else can I try?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Probably yeast infection. Very prevalent during humid hot summers. Try probiotics during feeding, stay away from starchy dog food with corn, potatoes, heavy grains and use vinegar/water mix as a rinse. Caused from the gut.

Read More Answers...

August 30, 2010 Flag

My Maltese, Molly, had awfully itchy skin, so after spending hundreds of dollars on treatment I tried Epsom salts in her bath water, and it did the trick. She also had a badly infected eye from rubbing her face on the ground to ease the itching, this has also cleared up much to our relief. I put a handful of Epsom salts to the bath water, and if it's a bad case rinse twice making the last rinse another one with salts in it.

By Suanne from Australia

April 27, 2015 Flag

My Pit/Blue Heeler, Nyla, has had a skin infection for almost 4 months. It is on her neck, vulva, stomach, inner leg, armpits, and under her eyes. She came back from a 2 week stay with a dog sitter with a very bad flea infestation. It took 2 months to cure. Right after that she started to lick and bite to the point of blood. Only when she licks I can see puss blisters. I believe the infection started from her backside, seeing how she jumps up as if something is biting her.

I took her to the vet ($300), they gave her antibacterial shampoo and spray, steroids, and antibiotics. For a week her skin started clearing up and fur started to grow, but after that the progression stopped. The medicine never stopped the itching so I bought a funnel for her. Then someone told me about apple cider, vinegar, peroxide, and water mix. I put it on her and I started to see mild visible red spots. The next day I tried again and one minute later for the first time I felt hot spots and her ears were hot. I don't know if it was the mix, or the infection itself fighting against the mix. I'm scared to keep using the mix. I'm at my wits end seeing her suffer. I need help please! Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

*Have you returned to your vet for a recheck and other possible treatment - important to do so?

*Your dog may be allergic to something in her environment-smoke, cleaning chemicals, detergent, soap, scent sprays, etc., could be many things you may not think are a problem.

*Consider removing her from your home and boarding her for a few weeks, or perhaps a relative or friend could care for her. If she improves, you will need to consider everything in your house and outside as possible problems.

Read More Answers...

September 8, 2015 Flag

My Cocker Spaniel baby has been struggling with allergies and itchy skin for several years and it has been an uphill battle. We started with using a doggie antihistamine with a small amount of steroid called Temeril P that you get from the vet. It helped some but wasn't super successful and I don't like giving her a steroid. She gets staph infections from all the scratching so we have been periodically putting on antibiotics to get her skin healed up. A cute Cocker Spaniel

Here are some of the things that have been helpful to her:

• She gets Benadryl twice a day, 1 mg per pound of weight.

• Bathing twice a week. Bathing removes allergens from the hair and skin which helps tremendously to relieve the itching. A simple bath will give dogs a lot of relief.

I've recently discovered that a rinse in chamomile tea helps a lot to calm her skin and stop the itching for a while. Make two cups of chamomile tea, using about 6 tea bags to make it strong. Let it cool and pour it into a spray bottle, then add warm (not hot) water and spray your dog's skin all over to relieve the itch. I've also rinsed my girl with witch hazel which offers some relief as well, but the chamomile tea has been the best so far.

Another rinse that has helped is 1/2 cup green tea mixed with 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar and 1 cup purified water (You can boil for 20 minutes to purify). I double or triple the recipe to fill my spray bottle and spray my baby girl all over for some relief to her inflamed skin.

Apple cider vinegar solution (50% apple cider vinegar/50% water) to rinse or wash your dog in can restore the skin's acidity, kill off pathogens, and soothe the itch. You can also add a bit of apple cider vinegar to your dog's water to help from the inside as well.

• I feed her Stella and Chewy's salmon and cod meal mixers re-hydrated and mixed with her LID (limited ingredient diet) salmon and sweet potato kibble. Kibble is not very nutritious so it needs a boost. Stella and Chewy's is a wonderfully nutritious food, but it's expensive, so I have to mix it with a good quality kibble to keep the cost down. I am also giving her probiotics. Allergies can mean a lowered immune system and probiotics will boost the immune system. And I give her 1 tablespoon organic unrefined coconut oil in each meal. You should start small and work up to a tablespoon.
    She is doing better and it's such a relief to see her calm and not scratching!

May 24, 2011 Flag

Close up of small black and white dogI am hoping to find a home remedy for my dog's itching. My dog is scratching herself raw and I'm unable to take her to the vet at this time. I was hoping for a home remedy that would help. Thank you.

By Dru from Newburgh, IN

try omega oil 3 and organic dog food. it will help a lot. you can order it from petmed.com

Read More Answers...

August 14, 2004 Flag

Does your dog itch and make their skin so raw? Well, our little Stubby was and it was just horrible until we mixed the following. Put this into a spray bottle and spray. In a couple of days, you should see a lot of difference.

October 6, 2015 Flag

I have a 4 year old Pit. Recently she has started scratching herself to the point to where she's bled and has sores under her sides and eyes. It not fleas or mange. We don't have the money for a vet, but would really appreciate some help with the itching until we can take her in.

Check the food wheat whay rye barley hops chicken turkey are just a few of the foods pits are normally allergic to.

Read More Answers...

January 24, 2014 Flag

Woman and her dog.I recently read that 1/3c baby oil, 1/3c Listerine and 1/3c warm water is an amazing treatment, but what exactly does the Listerine do?

By Sara

I give my dog plain yogurt everyday as she has yeast issues. Haven't had her back to the vet for their expensive meds!

Read More Answers...

July 23, 2016 Flag

I have 2 dogs, an 8 year old Shepherd mix and a 5 year old Beagle. Every summer they both start scratching and chewing. They don't have fleas or ticks. In the winter they don't have any problems, no scratching or chewing. They have access to the yard any time they want to go out (dog door). The itching is driving them nuts and me too. My Shepherd mix will chew her butt so badly that she has scabs. My Beagle chews and pulls out some of her hair on her sides, she also licks her feet a lot. It is not their food, they eat the same thing year round. What can I do to help them?

August 24, 2013 Flag

I have an almost 2 year old Neo Mastiff. Lately he has been scratching and nibbling at his skin around his butt, his back legs, and hips. He has scratched so much in one spot it is raw and red and the fur is very thin.

I have been giving him, antihistamines as I had thought it may be caused by the pollen in the air, but have had no luck helping him. I live on a dairy farm and have been giving him milk which he absolutely loves, but am thinking he may be allergic to this as I know other dogs are. Could someone please suggest a home remedy as I am unable to take my poor boy to the vet at the moment.

By T J

I have never used this product but it might be worth looking into. The web site is www.allergicpet.com

Hope this helps.

Read More Answers...

April 29, 2016 Flag

My Beagle, Ellie, rolled in something nasty. So I got out the arm length rubber gloves and went to bathing her. I had to lather rinse and repeat three times. Since the bath she has been acting strangely, like her rear end has been bothering her. I think, well I'm sure, it was the bathing. She kept sitting down while I was rinsing so I am thinking maybe I didn't get all the soap off.
Now she will run, then stop like something is on her and she is being antisocial. Any suggestions for how to give her some relief?

There are a few different reasons. First, could be she doesn't smell like her usual self, and it's confusing her. Dogs rely heavily on their sense of smell. Her scent will come back.

If you left soap on and it's itching, try a no-soap bath.

Or, she has dry skin because you washed the oils off. If you think that is the case, use a fine toothed comb and brush all over her to stimulate oil production and remove dead skin.

Load More
Pets Dogs HealthNovember 29, 2012
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
child rubbing eyes
Remedies for Itchy Eyes
Itchy Puppy
Puppy With Itchy Yellow Bumps
Skin Folds
Treating a Rash in Skin Folds
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 30, 2016 at 3:14:10 AM on 10.0.1.37 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.