Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

My daughter is 7 years old and has a viral infection. She has been suffering from intense muscle spams all over her body. The doctor says that she can fight off her viral infection and pretty much blew off the spasms. They gave her a prescription for Zantac and Tylenol. Does anyone have any remedies for me?

By Monique B.

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Maw-Maw [2]05/02/2013

Ask Dr. for muscle relaxer & cortezone pills in appropriate doses for her age!

By Louise B. [4]04/29/2013

Viral infections can not be treated by medication. You can only alleviate the symptoms. This, of course, is what the Tylonol is for-- to help with the pain. If you feel that the doctor did not take your child's illness seriously, you should go to another doctor for a second opinion. I do not think you should be giving your child a bunch of other remedies that may or may not help for what is likely a very temporary problem. I think you might try the epsom salt bath, massage therapy if she is feeling well enough to go out, maybe hot water bottles on the cramping limbs, as these are all therapies that should make her feel better and are non-invasive.

By Donna E. Frye [2]04/29/2013

Hi. I get spasms as well and I take some potassium, and water is important. Sometimes I don't get what I need from things I eat so I take one every morning. When a spaz hits, I take one and within minutes, I am fine. You can get potassium anywhere they sell vitamins. Good luck to ya.

By Rachel's Mom [162]04/29/2013

I, too, have heard that apple cider vinegar or drinking pickle juice will alleviate muscle cramps within minutes. Eating a banana a day is supposed to work too because of the potassium. The remedy that my dad uses, that my mother read about, is to spray hair spray in the area where the cramping occurs. I don't know if it is the cold hairspray or its ingredients, but he swears by it! He buys the least expensive hair spray he can find for this purpose. Good luck!

By Dena Roberts [31]04/29/2013

Go to another doctor!

By Kelly Line F.04/29/2013

massage therapy will help tremendously!

By DottieNM [3]04/28/2013

I am not a medical person, either. I am a cancer survivor, having survived ovarian cancer and a set of six chemotherapy sessions.

The particular chemo drugs given to me caused muscle pain and neuropathy. To counteract that, I was urged to take L-Glutamine and Vitamin B-6. I followed their instructions, and I had no muscle pains or neuropathy. At one of my sessions, a patient had horrible muscle spasms, right there in the chemo room. Turned out she wasn't taking either because she didn't like the taste....

The dosages below are for an adult. I took the 30 grams daily specified for a week after chemo, then I reduced it to 10 grams per day for the other two weeks. (I had chemo every 3 weeks.)

I'm sure you'd need to adjust these dosages down for a child. You can ask a health care professional or perhaps a knowledgeable person at your local health food store or natural center. I believe athletes regularly take L-Glutamine to prevent muscle pain.

I mixed the L-Glutamine in a yogurt-fruit smoothie to drink or mixed it in applesauce to eat. It's basically tasteless, but it's gritty, because it doesn't totally dissolve in liquid. I could drink it in juice, but I had to keep stirring, because it sank to the bottom.

Here's the wording from the instructions I received during chemo:

L - Glutamine and Vitamin 86

The following supplements are recommended for joint aches, muscle pain and neuropathies associated with some chemotherapy:

1. L- Glutamine (a non-essential amino acid/nerve protectant). Powder form works better than pill form. Begin with 10 Grams of L-Glutamine in a small glass of water or juice 2 to 3 times per day for at least 5-7 days following chemotherapy (30 grams per day). You may take it longer if you wish as there are no toxicities or side effects associated with L-Glutamine.

(You can buy L-Glutamine at Vitamin Cottage, Whole Foods, GNC, NutriShop, Sunflower Market.)

2. Vitamin B -6. Take 50 mg 2 times per day for 5-7 days following chemotherapy.

The following is copied from a jar of L-Glutamine I bought online from a health food/supplement supply place. Again, I assume the dosage is for an adult.

Suggested Usage: As a dietary supplement, take 1 rounded teaspoon (5g) in juice, preferably between meals, 1 to 2 times daily as needed.

Glutamine has recently been the focus of much scientific interest. A growing body of evidence suggests that during certain stressful times, the body may require more glutamine than it can produce. Under these circumstances, glutamine may be considered a conditionally essential amino acid. Glutamine is involved in maintaining a positive nitrogen balance (an anabolic state) and also aids rapidly growing cells (immune system lymphocytes and intestinal cell enterocytes). In addition, glutamine is a regulator of acid-base balance and a nitrogen transporter.*

* These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Best wishes, Dottie

By Dorina [2]04/28/2013

I have muscle spasms/charlie horse in my legs when I sleep. What has helped me is Magnesium supplement. I take it after dinner and it helps a great deal. It also helps me fall asleep fast. I read alot of natural websites which also recommend potassium. I would try a bananna-a-day first, since its loaded in potassium and natural. Since she is young it is the safer way to start. Sobe has a coconut water which is tasty and has a good amount of potassium. V8 Fusion-Strawberry Bananna has a good amount of potassium as well. If that doesn't work then try the magnesium supplement...start w/half a tab. Dehydration can cause spasms too - drink enough water.

As some other posters have indicated, a doctor who ignores is not that great to have around. Perhaps one that includes holistic (supplements) remedies would be a good consideration. Hope she is feeling better soon! =)

By Terri Simmerson N.04/28/2013

Apple Cider Vinegar is suppose to be for muscle spasms ...the store also has tablets of Apple Cider Vinegar.

By kitkatk100 [6]04/28/2013

I would insist he do something to treat this problem or go to another doctor. It's not right to just blow off this problem. I'm sorry your daughter is having to deal with this, and I hope you get it taken care of soon.

By likekinds [38]04/28/2013

I have suffered with muscle spasms for years and have tried various home remedies and prescription drugs. For me, I have found that Chlorzoxazone works better than anything else. It is a prescription drug. If the spasms are truly severe, you may want to discuss Chlorzoxazone with your doctor.

By Sally [1]04/27/2013

Hello! I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Please consult a doctor if your child does not improve. I am so sorry that your little person is sick.

I would encourage your child to rest a lot, and offer chicken noodle soup and plenty of fluids. Pineapple juice, slightly diluted if necessary, might be welcome. I think the enzymes in the pineapple can be beneficial. Yogurt with a little honey could also be helpful.

If you have any Epsom Salts, I would prepare a bath with a cupful in the water, and let your child soak in it. Be sure to stay next to her! Epsom Salts can be relaxing and make a person drowsy.

You can consider giving Elderberry. Sambucol Kids Syrup, Black Elderberry, is one brand. You can check it out on Amazon or at any vitamin shop. I would just like to send my best wishes to you and your child for a speedy recovery.