Remedies for Muscle Spasms

Category Home Remedies
Muscle spasms can be horribly irritating to deal with and even painful at times. This page has some ideas for remedies for muscle spasms.

If you have muscle spasms a lot and are diabetic, when your doctor sends you for lab work, be sure he tests your magnesium level as well as your vitamin B-12 level. I've been deficient in both, all because of my diabetes medicines deleting these valuable nutrients from my body. Low magnesium will cause muscle spasms, constipation, etc. Low Vit. B-12 will cause you to feel tired, draggy, no energy. If you are low in Vit. B-12, receiving it in shot form is a GOOD thing. If your doctor suggests it, by all means have it.

Low magnesium levels or Vit. B-12 levels don't just strike diabetics, anyone can be be depleted in these minerals. I'd saw recently, on TV, Dr. Becker's homeopathic show, where the U.S. has more folks deficient in magnesium than in any other country.

Good Luck and God bless!

By Terri from NV

Top Comment

Please don't take magnesium without first consulting your doctor! You can really mess up your electrolytes and become seriously ill.

It is a great drug when used as needed, but can have serious repercussions if misused.

Drink pickle juice! My husband gets really bad leg cramps and he learned that as soon as he gets them he drinks a little bit of pickle juice and it takes them right away. My brother in law tried it too and it worked for him!

Source: Remedy for Muscle Spasms

My daughter is 7 years old and has a viral infection. She has been suffering from intense muscle spams all over her body. The doctor says that she can fight off her viral infection and pretty much blew off the spasms. They gave her a prescription for Zantac and Tylenol. Does anyone have any remedies for me?

By Monique B.

Answers

Best Answer

Hello! I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Please consult a doctor if your child does not improve. I am so sorry that your little person is sick.

I would encourage your child to rest a lot, and offer chicken noodle soup and plenty of fluids. Pineapple juice, slightly diluted if necessary, might be welcome. I think the enzymes in the pineapple can be beneficial. Yogurt with a little honey could also be helpful.

If you have any Epsom Salts, I would prepare a bath with a cupful in the water, and let your child soak in it. Be sure to stay next to her! Epsom Salts can be relaxing and make a person drowsy.

You can consider giving Elderberry. Sambucol Kids Syrup, Black Elderberry, is one brand. You can check it out on Amazon or at any vitamin shop. I would just like to send my best wishes to you and your child for a speedy recovery.

Best Answer

I have muscle spasms/charlie horse in my legs when I sleep. What has helped me is Magnesium supplement. I take it after dinner and it helps a great deal. It also helps me fall asleep fast. I read alot of natural websites which also recommend potassium. I would try a bananna-a-day first, since its loaded in potassium and natural. Since she is young it is the safer way to start. Sobe has a coconut water which is tasty and has a good amount of potassium.

V8 Fusion-Strawberry Bananna has a good amount of potassium as well. If that doesn't work then try the magnesium supplement...start w/half a tab. Dehydration can cause spasms too - drink enough water.

As some other posters have indicated, a doctor who ignores is not that great to have around. Perhaps one that includes holistic (supplements) remedies would be a good consideration. Hope she is feeling better soon! =)

I have always had problems with muscle spasms even as a child, but they have gotten worse in the past year. If I have to get up in the night to go to the bathroom and don't, I immediately go into extreme muscle spasms in both of my legs. I eat bananas, but am not much of a water drinker. If there is anything that I can do to help me get a good night's sleep I would appreciate it.

By Sue from Raleigh, NC

Answers

Best Answer

I know the feeling well. I tried eating bananas for added potassium, drinking more "water" to hydrate and also learned high blood pressure can bring on painful leg spasms. These spasms cramps the feet and toes. In your case, it's been since you were a child. I would suggest having your blood checked for a possible cause after consulting with your doctor.

Best Answer

My Dad used to get them terribly and his doctor told him to take quinine pills. You can get them at the pharmacy without a prescription, just ask the pharamist. They worked wonders for him. You might also want to check with your doctor first. Good luck to you.

Best Answer

Drink pickle juice! My husband gets these really bad leg cramps and he learned that as soon as he gets them he drinks a little bit of pickle juice and it takes them right away!

My brother in law tried it too and it worked for him!

Cciatic Pain and whiplash after motor vehicle accident have caused me severe muscle spasms to neck upper and lower back. Also, a piriformis problem causing butt and leg spasms for 1 1/2 years after auto accident. I still cannot sit for more than a few minutes at a time and no more than 45 to 60 minutes spread throughout day.

I just cannot tolerate the spasms and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Caty from Toronto, ON

Answers

Best Answer

Find a massage therapist that does deep tissue work. I had muscle spasms in my lower back and shoulder from bad ergonomics at work, and my chiropractor recommended massage and heat in addition to what he was doing. It took several hour-long sessions (and some were painful), but the spasms finally went away. Good luck!

Best Answer

You need to talk to either a chiropractor or an orthopedic doctor about using a TENS unit. This allows you to apply electrical currents to the affected areas from time to time. I have one for sciatic pain and it works wonders! Good luck and God bless you.

By Annie. (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Hello UNKERS---wherever Amish people live--you will find it! It's much better than BenGay etc---smells like vicks and works wonders.

Also, I learned to do something different--am even doing it for arthritis areas---I do what's called ACUPRESSURE---not Acupuncture. It goes by the pressure points on your body---I go to each sore area--press not hard but softly but it still hurts and count in my head 01 up to 08---stop for the count of 03, and do it one more time--then go to the next sore spot you find---it's helped me now for many years! Sometimes it's the strangest sounding stuff that just may help---like that Ivory soap put at the end of the bed--will have to be checking that out! Annie

Is there a natural remedy for muscle spasms?

PMM from MO

Answers:

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

My husband has incomplete spinal cord injury. He is paraplegic. He has muscle spasms even though he is on medication for it. Physical Therapy tells us that the muscles have to be stretched, which means daily stretching exercises of his legs. Once the muscles are stretched, the spasms ease. Also, I have found that an electric hand massager does wonders.
vguy (10/12/2008)

By vickie guy

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

Drink plenty of water and take potassium. I personally take 99mg a few times a day instead of one of those honker pills with 350 mg.

Potassium citrate is pretty inexpensive and has done wonders for me.

Before taking any supplement, contact your doctor if you are on any medication or have health issues. (10/12/2008)

By Susan

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

I have been using soap in my bed for several years and it always works for me. I do still get some cramps and that is only when I'm not in bed. (10/13/2008)

By Cathy

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

Eat bananas-a natural source of K+ (potassium). Also, when you get a cramp, resist pointing your toes. Keep your foot flat to reduce the likelihood of a cramp and to minimize it's duration.

(10/14/2008)

By Diana

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

Calcium allows muscles to contract (form a muscle spasm), while magnesium allows them to relax. In order for the body to properly absorb these minerals, they must be taken in a 2:1 ratio of 2 parts calcium to 1 part magnesium. Most people are magnesium deficient, so many have a problem with spasms. Eating chocolate, cooked spinach, and lots of other stuff prohibits magnesium absorption. After taking these supplements for a while, you'll be amazed at how much better you feel. Make sure you have adequate potassium intake too. Eat a banana a day. (10/14/2008)

By susan

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

It depends on what kind of muscle spasms you are having. Do they happen at night? If so, you might try some extra magnesium. It's a natural muscle relaxant, that's good for the heart. Also, most people think calcium supplements should be way more than magnesium.

Do you crave chocolate? This usually means a magnesium deficiency. Get a balanced mineral supplement and add magnesium. If you are younger, you can take magnesium citrate, if you are, say, older than 35 or so, take magnesium carbonate. No matter what anyone says, as we age, we become more acidic. Therefore adding acidic things make us feel and become worse. Buffering is important.

Also for relaxation, St John's Wort, tryptophan, 5-htp, among others. I would try the minerals first. There is another area that you might try. I have adrenal fatigue and this can have all sorts of symptoms. Not being able to relax is one of them. Taking kelp helps a lot. I'd try Nature's Way, it is the whole kelp, dried. Iodine is helpful, too. Iodoral is a good supplement for this. There are so many things, without knowing more, these are some avenues to try. Hope this is any help. (10/14/2008)

By Chris T.

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

In my experience, muscle spasms comes from a lack of potassium. Eating a banana or baked potato usually works. Banana works faster if chewed and held under the tongue. I've found it works in minutes and sometimes seconds to relieve muscle spasms/cramps in the legs. Also, my Air Force training reminds you to keep well hydrated. I hope this helps. (10/15/2008)

By Lisa

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

I know this'll sound crazy, but I had bad leg cramps and would wake up nightly. I recalled someone writing about cramps and said they found a spoon in bed did the trick, so as silly as it sounded I gave it a try. I'm thinking it's the cold metal that eases the cramp, but whatever it is it works. I place the spoon right on the cramp and presto gone. I haven't had a cramp in quite a while, but that big serving spoon is right under my mattress, ready to grab when needed. I like the sound of the soap cure, too, although I haven't tried it. (10/25/2008)

By Jan from Bangor, ME

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

I thought you all were crazy about the bar of soap. I have a very physical job and have very sharp spasms in my back, almost always, to where I am practically "crippled up". Because of this, I am unable to do much of anything on my time off, but try and "rest" my back. I decided I had nothing to lose, so I tried the soap. Nothing short of a miracle. I have not had one since, and it has been over a week. I even worked a 10 1/2 hr. shift, no lunch break and sitting a total of 10 min., and my back is wonderful. I feel like a young person again. I carry a bar of soap under my clothes and I am doing things I haven't been able to do in a very long time. I really don't don't get it, but it really does work. Don't knock it till you try it. (11/08/2008)

By Patty

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

To lessen the pain and discomfort during muscle spasm, press your finger on the area right below your nose and above your lip, the pain will subside rather quickly. I do not know how the soap remedy works. Is it simply put a bar of soap at the foot of the bed will stop the muscle spasm? Thanks. RY (12/02/2008)

By RY

Remedy for Muscle Spasms

Hey everyone. I suffer from constant muscle spasms in my shoulders and neck. I am in constant pain. I have found that using hard rubber balls to massage yourself works very well. I have looked around for several different sizes I found some solid rubber dog toys and hard rubber balls like a super ball work really well. I stand with my back to a wall or door and reach over my shoulder put the ball on my back or for lower back reach around under my arm or for really lower back put one on your butt. Sounds silly, but really works.

You can also do the back or your neck this way and for the top of your shoulder you need a bigger ball like the size of a soft ball so you can lean into the top of your shoulder. Once you try it you will understand what I mean.

I have maybe 20 or so knots in my back. Before I started doing this I could not function sometimes the pain was so bad, but I've gotten much better because of this approach. I also mix heat and cold in as well.
(02/14/2009)

By Charles C.

I am looking for any home remedies that anyone might have on what to do for muscle spasms. I have had some problems with my sciatic nerve on the left side.