Removing Adhesive Residue on Skin

Medicated patches, adhesive tape, etc. can leave sticky, hard to remove, residue on your skin. This is a guide about removing adhesive residue on skin.

May 4, 2011 Flag

I have been using spray adhesive for some different crafts lately. I have noticed once it gets on your hands, it is stuck quite well. You can't use rubber gloves, because all you'd do is stick to your project.

Last week, I had been working on a project using spray adhesive. When I went to scrub my hands I couldn't get it off. I used Dawn dish detergent and a scrubby pad, but I still had quite a bit of residue. I found a bottle of lotion and liberally added it to my hands and rubbed it in for about a minute. I washed and rinsed my hands and the residue was gone. Finding this little remedy after battling to get it off made my project much more enjoyable.

By Gem from VA

Top Comment

Mineral Turpentine gets it straight off without much rubbing

March 29, 2010 Flag

Any suggestions regarding the removal of adhesive residue left behind when removing transdermal pain patches? I have been using Soft Soap with pumice like auto mechanics use for their hands, but that does not always remove all the adhesive residue without an extreme amount of scrubbing.
Thanks for any advice.

By Stewart R. from Buffalo, NY

Best Answer

I've used hand sanitizer to remove glue residue. It works really well.

Best Answer

Skin friendly baby oil, mineral oil, and even vegetable or olive oil and, as already mentioned, use a cotton ball ;-)

Best Answer

I use either non acetone nail polish remover or Goo Gone.

Peanut butter and any vegetable oil should both work.

Wow! So many solutions for such a "sticky situation"! Thank you everyone for your input. We tried the hand sanitizer yesterday and it worked quite well. Seeing as how we have numerous bottles of that stuff around the house, I think that is the way we are going to proceed.

This is one awesome site for getting friendly advice! Now, does anyone have any solutions for finding a new job? Being unemployed for the first time in forty years is a real downer!

So glad one of these suggestions was helpful to you :-) As for finding a job, submit that question separately and you'll get lots of answers :-) Be sure to mention what your specialty(s) are!

My suggestion is lots of 'networking' and 'persistence' ;-) I've even known people who landed a job they really wanted by working for free for a day or two! There's really nothing to lose doing that because even if the place doesn't find you to be 'the right fit' you've still met more people to network with and pick their brains for ideas, possible job openings elsewhere and maybe even references ;-) Hope you submit that question :-)

Try using baby oil. Apply a few drops to the sticky area and rub it in. The residue will roll up / off. It's all I have ever used. Good luck.

Unsafe: Petroleum based products, acetone

Safe: "The Best Cleaner Ever" from ScraPerfect is my recommendation!!

Effective is essential. Safe is also. Easy to clean off the remover is another consideration as is not drying or irritating the skin.

Cotton ball was not big enough as my husband was using a large gauze pad and had a lot of tape residue for a burn injury. We used a hand towel and olive oil and Vaseline body gel oil, both worked great! And both were in my cabinets!

Smith & Nephew Uni-Solve Adhesive Remover. Comes in wipes and 8 oz bottles. Amazon has it.

June 23, 2010 Flag

Recently I read on this site that Caress soap keeps mosquitoes away, so I went out and bought the bar soap and bath gel. Forget it, it doesn't work on the mosquitoes in Houston! But I started using the bath gel and noticed something unusual. I have to wear trans dermal patches and they're forever leaving adhesive residue marks on me. Well Caress took care of that problem faster than rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, Goo Gone, or Citri Solve ever cleaned that adhesive from my body.

Today I was cleaning and I've had a piece of either PVC or Scotch tape on the window over my kitchen sink that I haven't been able to remove for months, even with rubbing alcohol, etc. listed above. I used Caress bar soap with warm water on a rag, and it worked like a charm, quickly removing the plastic tape part first and then the adhesive - and it left no residue. It's almost a little unnerving to think that something you use to clean yourself also takes adhesive off glass, Oh Well! I'm excited that I found a new way of doing things.

If you try it, would you please post your results? Because I'll bet Caress, bar or gel, will remove grease and oily things too - carpet, clothing, axle grease, cooking grease, spray on degreaser, etc. Maybe I'll even try using some gel to wash my tile floors that give me fits. I'll definitely try the bar soap on stains on my laundry. Will experiment and let you know!

By metroplex from Houston, TX

I am curious if it would work on my laminated bathroom floor where I get hairspray on. I will try it when I get groceries and see.

I never thought about using Caress for cleaning other than on myself -LOL- but what you say makes sense because Caress soap scum is so easy to remove from the tub and shower! I get a kick out of this new info because I've used nothing but Caress Body Bar for 38 years because I love the smell, and feel so clean and yet my skin doesn't get dried out! Who would have ever thought to use it for something else? You. ;-)

Okay, so I just now did a little test experiment. I have a large glass jar container that I store mini rice cakes in so they don't get stale before I eat them all. Anyway, the jar still had that nasty sticky on the bottom from the UPC sticker but because I have Emphysema now (and can't use things like polish remover, goo gone, etc anymore) I've just lived with the sticky (even though it drives me crazy because I am anal retentive) so I just grabbed the Caress bar out of the bath tub, turned that jar upside down (took the rice cakes out, of course), wet the edge of the bar and began rubbing on the sticky! OMG, thirty seconds and it was loosened and no more sticky! Girlfriend, patent your idea! ;-)

Laniegirl, because you have a laminate floor you might want to try one small inconspicuous spot to clean first before using on the entire floor because some laminates can be ruined by certain cleansing agents. :-(

I read somewhere maybe here about Absorbine Jr., putting a drop on the back of each knee and ear, will keep the bugs away. I haven't been able to find it to see if it works. I also read that mosquitoes perfer blondes and women who are menstruating and something else not sure what.

Now rubbing alcohol will remove trans dermal patches just find.

Step in the shower to spray your hair.....keeps it off all other bathroom surfaces

October 11, 2011 Flag

I had some surgery on a toe and had to use a latex free bandage to wrap it. When I removed the band-aid, I got some of the residue on my thumbnail. I decided to try a drop of baby oil and it came right off.

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceApril 14, 2013
applying adhesive on a window
Removing Adhesive from Glass
Plexiglass
Removing Adhesive from Plexiglass
Excess Adhesive on Floor Tiles
Removing Excess Adhesive From Floor Tiles
Removing Adhesive
Removing Adhesive
🎉
🎄