Removing Cat Urine Odor from a Couch

Cat urine odor is strong and sometimes difficult to remove from upholstered furniture. This is a guide about removing cat urine odor from a couch.

A cat sitting on a couch.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 5, 2010 Flag

I have a huge problem! I am staying with a friend for a couple weeks until my house is ready to move into. My oldest cat, only a year, peed on her sofa because she was scared to get down to use the litter box. My friend has 2 dogs.

I tried Febreze and it didn't work so I went to the store and bought special "cat odor and stain remover spray". I have scrubbed the couch twice with no success. She has a reclining sofa so I can't take the sofa apart to wash them. What should I do? I feel horrible because my cats never did that at my house!

By Kinder from San Diego, CA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is a product called Zero Odor (you can order it online) that works, really works! Check it out.

Our dog got skunked in the face, and you know how difficult it is to get that smell out, even after bathing him with "skunk formula" items. I rubbed a little bit of Zero Odor on my hands and rubbed it on his fur and I'm not kidding, the smell was completely gone. I've used it on really-really bad pet urine stains, instead of spraying it, I poured some into the stain directly from the bottle and let it sit awhile before blotting it up, and it worked better than anything else I've ever tried, including professional carpet cleaning products.

Try Zero Odor before you buy a new couch.

There's a terrific product that only costs a dollar. You can buy it at Dollar Tree and at Family Dollar stores. It's called "LA's Totally Awesome." I've tried expensive stuff that doesn't work, and this cheap stuff actually does!

Several posts talk about extracting the water used for the clean up, can anyone recommend a wet/dry vacuum for this problem?

Thanks.

Read More Answers...

August 3, 2010 Flag

My cat has peed on my sofa once again! The smell is so awful that I can't enjoy sitting in my living room anymore. I need a home remedy that is going to work. Please help.

By Tammy from Chicago, IL

Be sure to take the cover off the cushion also if this is the area, you will need to treat the foam etc. too.

I have the same problem. Got a nice couch given to me by a friend but their cat must have peed on it at some point. The problem is that this couch is of a leather type material and the cushions aren't removable. I tried the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish soap trick and it didn't seem to work between the cushions. It's starting to stink up my little apartment. Am I going to have to just toss the couch?

I got cat urine out of my leather chair with white distilled vinegar. I think I just used straight vinegar. The cat then sprayed my micro fiber sofa. I pulled the covers of the cushions and washed them with vinegar and borox in the washing machine and I don't smell anything on them. I sprayed the foam of the cushions with 50/50 mix vinegar and water covered with plastic and keeping my fingers crossed. So far the vingar has worked beautifully for me. Also once it dries the oder goes away (well in this case both odors). Good Luck.

Read More Answers...

June 26, 2013 Flag

I thought I had deodorized my microfiber sofa, but continued to smell cat urine, especially when on the floor playing with my toddler. I turned the couch over and behold! The carpet was covered with stains caused by urine seeping all the way through the sofa. I treated the carpet, and the smell went away.

By the way, I have noticed that my diva of a cat only urinates on the sofa when her litter box does not meet her demanding standards, so daily scooping and frequent changes have eliminated the sofa problem--or so I hope.

August 30, 2013 Flag

My boyfriend and I were cat-sitting for his mom for a couple of weeks, and during that time, one of the cats decided to use our fairly new couch (less than a year old) as his litterbox. The cats are gone, but the couch still reeks of cat urine. We have an enzyme cleaner and I've sprayed it about 5 times over the cushion where the damage was done (took the cushion out of the cover and sprayed them separately), but I can still smell it. I'm to the point where I just want to pour the bottle onto the cushion and get it soaking wet, but I don't know if that's how it should be used. I just want my apartment to stop smelling like cat pee. Is there a better way to get the entire cushion and cover clean?

By Andrea B

Try spraying it with a solution of half white vinegar and half water. Sponge it off and let it dry thoroughly - outdoors if possible. If this doesn't work, I would suggest calling a professional furniture cleaner. Good Luck!

Try Totally Pet from Walmart. It works wonders. Also if the area is only on a cushion and it's removeable I would take it to an professional upholsterer and have it replaced if the odor persists. You should have a zipper to remove the cushion, then wash the cushion and use fabric softener and fabreeze on it. Good luck.

September 23, 2011 Flag

My cat is peeing on my couch. I need a strong remedy to get the smell out. I have tried citrus pet cleaners, vinegar and baking soda, Nature's Miracle, etc. He doesn't seem to avoid the area. Please help.

By Kristen

Regardless of advice or advertisement the only way is to have a professional upholstery cleaner come in. Even then there is no guarantee of success.

The professionals have excellent products for getting cat pee out, but the cat will continue to use your couch as a toilet because that's now part of his territory and he's doing what male cats do to mark it.

Natures Miracle may not work if you have used other chemicals before you apply it. It needs to be soaked deep into the cushion and allowed to dry for possibly several days before the smell will be gone. Try some deterent scents to keep him away form the spot. My favorite is to lay a piece of aluminum foil on the spot. they hate to step in it. good luck.

November 9, 2013 Flag

I just bought couches from a lady, without realizing how bad the smell really was. I feel like the cat urine has sat on the couch for a very long time and I am having trouble cleaning it. So far I have steam cleaned the couches with cleaner and water, then I sprayed Nature's Miracle on them the next day and I still smell it! Do I need to soak the couches in order for it to work?
    Please help! I need a better solution for this nasty problem!

By CM

Nature's Miricle works by letting the bacterial spores turn into the bacteria that eat the urine. You need to allow time for the bacteria to replicate. They will keep on replicating as long as they have a food supply, ie, the urine. They turn the urine into carbon dioxide and water.

This completely removes the urine and the odor. You also need to soak the couch parts enough to keep them wet enough for the bacteria to travel and to stay alive. I completely cleaned a mattress of cat urine by soaking the top of the mattress, applying the bacterial product, and then covering it with plastic bags for at least three days.

Ridex, the liquid or powder, is a less expensive product to use. It contains the same bacterial spores. They eat organic matter whether it is in a septic system or on a couch.

You can use a black light to see which parts of the couch have urine. You need to use it in the dark. The urine spots will look white.

Best wishes. Don't give up. I know this method works. Jean

May 21, 2013 Flag

I can not sit on this couch without smelling the horrible stench of cat urine. I don't think anyone has ever tried to clean it before. It is leather or faux leather, and brand new. And anything that touches it ends up smelling bad too. It is so disgusting. Please tell me we didn't waste $1200 on furniture.

By Madeline

I use a cleaning product called Unique Natural Products Pet Odor and Stain Eliminator. It's a bacterial cleaner that breaks down the urine. You need to soak everything that smells bad in the stuff, and let it sit overnight, at least. Then you can use a hand held carpet cleaner or shop vac to suck up some of the moisture. Putting the couch/cushions outside in bright sunlight at this point would help too.

November 14, 2012 Flag

I have a cat that has urinated on my couch more than once. I have cleaned it with vinegar and my Bissel and currently have used Urine Out 2xs w/o sucking it up with the Bissel because I read the cleaner needs to get down into wherever the urine has gotten into. It smells better, but there is still an underlying odor and I'm worried the couch is going to get "marked" again. I don't know what else to do.

By Cathy

Hi, not sure if you found a solution to your problems or not, but check out the scat mat on amazon,very good product. Also, please make sure you have your cat spayed regardless if it's an inside cat. A male cat that is not fixed can spray/pee on everything.

Anytime a cat pees on stuff please get it checked for a urine tract infection, usually that is the problem in 99% of of cats that are peeing around the home even if they still also use the litter box or not.

Walmart has cleaners with enzymes to help with cat urine smell.

Good luck :)

ps,maybe this will help you or others who may read this.

i have 15 cats and we had to rip up carpet in the whole house(training and other issues) we are replacing with laminate hardwood floors but to keep our house and our sanity we are buying fencing from lowes to make a cat area where they are able to go outside (safe in fencing area) where they can pee, run around and relax,we are also going to cut plywood to make shelf like thingys and carpet them to give them places to lay higher up (didn't figure out how to connect them yet) since cats like to be higher up on things.

We will buy a dog/cat door and put it in our wall in our family room so they can come and go as they please to the fence in area. They will be shut out though from the other parts of the house since they love to destroy our house playing running ect.

However we will allow them between 2 to 3 hours a day to come in our space. I'm thinking an hour and a half in the morning while I'm relaxing and drinking my coffee and able to keep an eye on them. Then again just after dinner time to play with them,give snacks and have our bonding family time. I hope it works the way I plan because I don't want to have to get rid of my cats. Out of all the cats we only adopted 2 of them, 14 years old now. The rest adopted me lol. 3 came to me pregnant and all gave birth just days apart.

All have been fixed. Not sure what state you are in, but if you have medicaid, some states pay up to 3 animals a year to get fixed and rabies shots. Also spca and rabies shots only charge 25 for males and 35 for females; very cheap and worth it.

December 5, 2009 Flag

How do I clean cat urine from a microfiber sofa?

By Diane from Litchfield Park, AZ

Try vinegar water. It kills bacteria naturally and gets rid of smell. It might take a couple of times but it should work.

Hope this helps.

I'd try vinegar and blotting.

August 3, 2010 Flag

I came home to find that my cat had urinated on my Jennifer Convertibles microfiber couch. I wasn't there to soak up the stain immediately, so I'm afraid the urine soaked and dried all the way into the couch. Any tested and successful remedies to ensure the smell is completely eliminated without ruining the couch? I have used Nature's Miracle Pet Odor Remover in the past, but I don't want to soak the spot if there is a better way to take care of the problem.

KG from New York, NY

Answers:

Cleaning Cat Pee Off A Couch

I have a microfiber couch that my cat has urinated on 3 times while I was asleep. I tried it all; vinegar, odoban, febreeze, everything, but nothing worked. Then I thought about Dreft the baby laundry detergent. It's made to take urine smells out of diapers. It works. Pour a cap full of Dreft in a container and fill the rest up with water, about 2 cups (I made it strong since cat pee is so darn nasty). I poured it onto the couch so I could be sure to saturate it, and then with my upholstery cleaner thing (you know, the bissel thing) I got up as much of the liquid as possible.

No more yucky smell and now my couch has that nice baby smell, which is dangerous because now I want another baby. Anyhow, try that and see if it works. (06/19/2008)

By Amberly

Cleaning Cat Pee Off A Couch

Nature's miracle works great, if you put it on before the pee dries. Otherwise it seems to bring the smell out more. (10/18/2008)

Cleaning Cat Pee Off A Couch

So far I've had the best luck with Anti-Icky-Poo by MisterMax for removing cat urine smells. First I soak up as much of the urine, if it's fresh. Then I spray on a generous amount of the Anti-Icky-Poo (even though it says you don't need that much) and let it sit and dry. It takes a while (few days to a week) for it to work and remove all the odor so I usually cover the area with a plastic crate to keep the cats off while it does its job. If it's on the carpet I usually put enough on to soak the padding underneath then let it dry. This might work on the couch cushion too but since I have a water resistant mattress liner on my futon mattress I never have had to try it. (11/22/2008)

By Guest

Cleaning Cat Pee Off A Couch

This solution has never failed me when it comes to animals peeing!

1. 2 cups hydrogen peroxide
  2. 2 drops dish washing liquid
  3. 2 teaspoons baking soda

Stir gently to dissolve soda; do not store or leave capped or with lid on; mixture will react like the volcanoes you made in science class! Test on fabric first in spot where it won't be seen to make sure fabric is colorfast.

Mop up any pee you can first with paper towel or rag. Pour mixture on pee area, making sure you also cover several inches around the pee area since the urine will be in areas you can't see as well. Pour mixture on area and DO NOT wipe up. Leave it alone! Hard to do, cause you want to mop up excess, but leave it because mixture needs to sink into fabric down to where the pee has sunk.

My cat peed on my new bed and I used this mixture - had to double it because I didn't find pee til later in the day. Took 24 hours to completely dry but to this day (a year later), no pee smell. (01/14/2009)

By Carol

4. Comment On This PostWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 5, 2009 Flag

How do I remove cat's urine in my microfiber couch and get rid of the smell?

By tiny1130 from NYC, NY

Answers:

Getting Rid of Cat Urine Odor from Microfiber Couch

Go to a pet store and buy some Nature's Miracle. This stuff works great. (08/06/2009)

By soochatty

You can purchase something called Urine Out! at Wal-Mart. It also helps to keep cats from spraying. Just remember to really saturate the area as the spray needs to reach the padding of the cushion, also. (08/06/2009)

By princess_kiki_84

Take the foam out of the cushion first. If you cannot rinse the microfiber, then lightly spray with white vinegar (vinegar disinfects, removes scent and the white vinegar smell disappears quickly). Then rinse the inside cushion and pour the white vinegar through it, rinse again. Let it air dry. Should be dry by morning.

Then place a few fabric softener sheets inside the couch and between the cushion/fabric. Change it after a day or two. This helps to keep it smelling nicely after the vinegar. It works. I did it to my regular fabric couch and they haven't had another accident since. Plus its cheap.
    (08/06/2009)

By dvg

The best stuff I have used is a mix of peroxide, baking soda, and Dawn. I don't know the exact measurements, I just use a small bottle of peroxide, about half a cup of baking soda, and a few squirts of Dawn. You have to use it up after you make it, it won't store, but it takes out the urine amazingly well. Its a mixture made for taking out skunk odors, but its knocks out pet stains. A guy on PBS showed how it breaks down the stain by attaching to the molecules and breaking them apart. All I know is, it took cat urine out of a mattress and carpet like nothing I have ever used. (08/06/2009)

By dorinmoz

Our dog had an accident on our micro fiber couch the best thing that we found that seemed to work that and on carpet is the highest count rubbing alcohol you can find. Not only do you get rid of smell you kill germs. Use a spray bottle. (08/06/2009)

By HISFEE

Trisodium phosphate will destroy the odor. Always use cold water to restrict (skin, fabric) from drawing in the odor. Use gloves with this and always test in a out of the way spot. (08/06/2009)

By lynnsmskitty

Enzymatic "cleaners" really are the trick, but it seems you don't have to shell out the big bucks to get the effect. The post suggesting the use of Dawn was on the right track, but according to the Dawn website, only its "Dawn Plus" line contains enzymes, so stick with that one, (you can print a coupon online, too), or another brand which you know to contain enzymes, (call the 800 number to confirm).

It may be as simple as watering it down in a spray bottle, but you can certainly add other things, such as vinegar or hydrogen peroxide, according to online recipes. Whatever you do, it should not be necessary to pay $20-$30 per gallon for Simple Solution or some such, when you can make your own for a fraction of the price. Plus, any old black light will do for locating the areas to treat. (11/04/2009)

By snickerspotpie

November 20, 2006 Flag
    Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
    Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsNovember 15, 2012
    Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
    Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
    Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
    Repairing Couch Springs
    Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
    Preventing Underarm Odor
    Cleaning Toilet
    Removing Urine Odor from a Bathroom
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 29, 2016 at 7:53:33 AM on 10.0.0.241 in 674 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.