Cleaning Fuel Odors From Clothing

This is a guide about cleaning fuel odors from clothing. If you have ever spilled fuel on your clothing, you know that the odor is sometimes difficult to remove.

August 23, 2016 Flag

pumping gas

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning gasoline smell from clothing. Pumping gas or refilling a gas powered mower or tool are all opportunities for an accidental spill onto your clothes.

August 26, 2016 Flag

Man testing a diesel injector

This is a guide about cleaning diesel fuel odors from clothing. The smell of diesel fuel can be quite overpowering when spilled on clothing.

October 3, 2004 Flag

Does anyone know how to remove the smell of diesel fuel from hands and clothing?

Michelle from PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

My husband is a truck driver and we have had this problem a lot on his work clothes. He has a hand cleaner called Fast Orange. We got it at Wal-mart, they also carry it at auto parts stores. I put a little of that on his clothes and wash as usual. It gets the smell and the greasy feel out of the clothes. I would think it would work just as well for your hands.

Good Luck!

Best Answer

My husband spilled diesel on his hands tonight and we saw that Simple Green might get rid of it, so we tried it. The smell is gone for the most part. We're satisfied with it!

Best Answer

My husband works in the oil field and always reeks of diesel. Getting sick of running to the laundry mat everyday, finally I just threw some baking soda and vinegar in with laundry soap, in the washer, and the smell came out. I was shocked!

Best Answer

Try soaking the clothes in a tub of warm water or washer after agitating a few minutes with 1 cup of Tide or degreaser like Dawn dish soap for 2 hours (this breaks down oils in fuel). Drain this water off, then rinse, and then refill tub or washer with warm clean water and a 2 liter bottle of Coke and a whole box of baking soda agitate it around to mix it up with the clothes. Let this soak for 12-24 hours. Wash like normal. There is not even a faint fuel smell left. This could get expensive if you do this each load for some one who works and gets full of fuel/gas all the time though.

Best Answer

My husband work in the oil field and his clothes had a horrible smell. I tried everything I knew to remove the odor. I saw the post by Alisa and I tried Fast Orange Smooth with a little ARM and Hammer with oxy detergent. The clothes came out smelling wonderful. The detergent balanced out the orange smell. It was hard to find the smooth in a large container. But O'reilly auto parts can order it! Thanks so much for sharing the info!! ;-)

April 18, 2011 Flag

I need to clean some clothes that have some diesel fuel on them. Thanks.

By Bill from Flat River Desloge

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I soaked jeans that diesel had spilled on in a bucket with Downy fabric softer for 2 hrs, and then washed normally and the smell was gone.

Best Answer

My husband has worked on aircraft fuel tanks for years. He comes home reeking of the JP-8 jet fuel that he gets exposed to. I'm extremely allergic to any kind of scented products so I had to find a way to remove the smell from his clothes without using more chemicals. Get ready, it's the simplest thing and it always works.

I put everything he wears including underwear and socks that reek of jet fuel in the sun! Sometimes it can take from a few days to a week, but it always works. The sun's rays just bake the smell out. Make sure you get all areas exposed to the sun and turn inside out as well.

Best Answer

I used to use pinesol in the wash to remove diesel.

1 cup of Simple Green along with detergent and wash in hot or warm water. I found this recipe for getting gasoline and motor grease out of clothes, and it works! 

THE THING THAT WORKS BEST IS WASH AS USUAL AND PUT WHITE VINEGAR IN THE RINSE CYCLE, IT WORKS, HAVE USED IT FOR YEARS FOR ALL KINDS OF ODORS EVEN DOG URINE.... TRUST ME

March 24, 2011 Flag

My mother-in-law drives a bus. She got fuel today and there was an air bubble in the hose and fuel got all over her shoes and sweatpants. How can we get rid of the smell?

By Paula from Emlenton, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Put the clothes in the washer with 2 cups of white vinegar and 1 cup of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). Add detergent and wash as usual.

Hang outside to dry.

Best Answer

My husband drives a gas tanker, so I deal with this regularly. What I do is along with my regular detergent I add 20 Mule Team Borax, gets it out every time and in only one wash!

May 11, 2009 Flag

My elderly mother washed her clothes with a container that had fuel oil in it instead of laundry detergent. How do I get fuel oil smell out of her clothes?

By vmccook from Tunkhannock, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

GO to the local auto parts store and pick up a bottle of 'pink stuff' (real name) this pulls the smells of kero, gas etc from clothes, car rugs etc. Ria

Gasoline is an oil based product, therefore, use another oil based product to pull out the odor (which is left because all the gas oil has not been removed yet). You can use any kind of oil that normally washes out of clothing, like baby oil. Put some of the oil into the washer along with the clothes, let it swish around for a while, then put in the detergent and all should come out okay. Be sure not to use a dryer to dry these clothes, as it could cause a fire.

April 7, 2012 Flag

Is pumice in the fast orange that bad to put in the washing machine to remove diesel fuel from clothing?

By Stacey s

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I would recommend Dawn dishwash liquid and hot, hot water. Pumice works like sand paper and the diesel has worked into the fiber of the material. It may take several cycles to remove the diesel and the Dawn itself, so don't use too much Dawn.

If you can, stop the wash cycle after the clothes are saturated and let the items soak for 10-15 minutes to allow the water and Dawn to permeate the fabric. Vinegar in the rinse cycle will help get soap out.

WARNING: Dawn suds like crazy and you will have a mess if you use too much. Add a little at a time until there is a very thin covering of suds on the top of the water. Good luck.

March 8, 2015 Flag

I am trying to remove jet fuel smell from clothing. Normally I am limited to a laundromat so presoaking would be difficult. I have presoaked in Coke, used borax, baking soda, lemon juice, hanging in the sun, that worked when I had three sunny days, but did not remove it from rubberized material - waist band of underwear, and Lestoil. The last, Lestoil, really got to the ground in dirt and removed a lot of the smell, but not all. None of the others worked. I see using Murphy's oil soap, Fast Orange, etc. on this site. Do they work? How much?

Also, need to rid my apartment fo the odor. Any thoughts? All recommendations appreciated.

By Alden from Somerville, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Stinky Laundry In Washing Machine with Man Holding Nose
Removing Odors from Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryJanuary 26, 2013
Basket of musty smelling clothing.
Removing Musty Smell from Clothing
Man testing a diesel injector
Cleaning Diesel Fuel Odors from Clothing
Woman crouched in front of a front loading dryer smelling a shirt
Removing Odors From Clothing That Was Left in the Washer
pumping gas
Cleaning Gasoline Smell From Clothing
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 7:47:54 PM on 10.0.1.55 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.