Removing Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Odors From Clothing

If you have ever spilled fuel on your clothing, you know that the odor is sometimes difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing gasoline and diesel fuel odors from clothing

Work Clothing
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I need to clean some clothes that have some diesel fuel on them. Thanks.

By Bill from Flat River Desloge

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I Soaked jeans that diesel had spilled on in a bucket with Downy fabric softer for 2 hrs, and then washed normally and the smell was gone.

Best Answer

My husband has worked on aircraft fuel tanks for years. He comes home reeking of the JP-8 jet fuel that he gets exposed to. I'm extremely allergic to any kind of scented products so I had to find a way to remove the smell from his clothes without using more chemicals. Get ready, it's the simplest thing and it always works.

I put everything he wears including underwear and socks that reek of jet fuel in the sun! Sometimes it can take from a few days to a week, but it always works. The sun's rays just bake the smell out. Make sure you get all areas exposed to the sun and turn inside out as well.

Best Answer

I used to use pinesol in the wash to remove diesel.

Read More Answers...

How do you get diesel fuel out of clothes?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

add a can of coca -cola with your detergent and wash as usual ,

cathy from ma

Read More Answers...

My husband spilled diesel fuel on his clothes. I have tried several things such as Febreze for laundry odors with no results. What do I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Baking soda will perform MIRACLES on odors, so I bet it can tackle stinky diesel fuel!

You will need to soak the clothes in warm or hot water that has baking soda added. I would try maybe 1/2 to 1 cup baking soda per gallon of water. You could do this in a top-load washing machine (stopped), or in the bathtub or in a big bucket. Stir the baking soda into the water very well, so it is somewhat "disolved". Dunk the clothes and let them soak for a while, maybe 1/2 hour. Pull them out and wash as usual, with the warmest water appropriate for the fabrics. As an extra boost, you could also add Oxy Clean to the laundry load. (The Dollar Store has an Oxy cleaner/laundry additive that works quite well and is much cheaper than the brand name). Hopefully this will work. I have seen baking soda and water cut some really persistent stinks, like super-smelly old Teva sandals (before they put anti-stink stuff into the rubber), and kitchen sponges that stink even after they've been boiled/disinfected.

Good luck! And please let me know if this works!

How can I remove the smell of diesel from a whole load of laundry? My husband spilled diesel on his shirt sleeve and put it in with the clothes I had in the washer. I did not realize the smell would not come out with a regular detergent (unscented All).

By Mary Ann

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My husband fuels busses for the city and his clothes git drenched. How do I get the smell out of his cloth, especially his coat, it's winter and he needs it.

How do I get a gasoline odor removed from a sweatshirt?

By A Garner

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Was putting diesel gas in truck and the nozzle came a lose, and got on my clothes and shoes. I would like to know how to remove that smell from my clothes? Thank you.

How do you remove diesel fuel smell from clothes and trunk of car?

By Sheila

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

As the wife of a trucker, I used to have this problem.

One way I use to remove that distinctive diesel odor is to lay a baby wipe in his drawer. Baby wipes tend to absorb diesel odors better than any other product I've found.

Another use for the baby wipes is to get 5th wheel grease off his hands and clothes. We discovered this not long after he started driving. Baby wipes are the ONLY thing that will remove that stubborn 5th wheel grease.

Read More Answers...

When I fueled up my ATV on a snowy day I spilled gas on my outdoor pants. How can I get rid of the smell? I'm living in Norway, so please don't recommend a cleaning agent you only have in the US. I am looking for some household way. Please help.

By Fritti from Norway

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I accidently got gasoline on my son yesterday while at the pump. I read tons and then tried the tip with Coke and it really does work. I'm not talking about a little spot either ...it was a lot of gas, possibly about 5 cups. I used a one liter of Coke, a half cup of liquid dish soap and 5 cups of hot water. Mixed it all in garbage bag and placed jeans and shirt inside to soak for 3 hours.

I dumped the clothes into washer and ran through wash on warm and guess what? The smell is gone. Saved a new pair of jeans and a north face jacket. Thank goodness. I never did like Coke but now I love it...lol

Read More Answers...

My mother-in-law drives a bus. She got fuel today and there was an air bubble in the hose and fuel got all over her shoes and sweatpants. How can we get rid of the smell?

By Paula from Emlenton, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My husband drives a gas tanker, so I deal with this regularly. What I do is along with my regular detergent I add 20 Mule Team Borax, gets it out every time and in only one wash!

Read More Answers...

Is pumice in the fast orange that bad to put in the washing machine to remove diesel fuel from clothing?

By Stacey s

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would recommend Dawn dishwash liquid and hot, hot water. Pumice works like sand paper and the diesel has worked into the fiber of the material. It may take several cycles to remove the diesel and the Dawn itself, so don't use too much Dawn.

If you can, stop the wash cycle after the clothes are saturated and let the items soak for 10-15 minutes to allow the water and Dawn to permeate the fabric. Vinegar in the rinse cycle will help get soap out.

WARNING: Dawn suds like crazy and you will have a mess if you use too much. Add a little at a time until there is a very thin covering of suds on the top of the water. Good luck.

My elderly mother washed her clothes with a container that had fuel oil in it instead of laundry detergent. How do I get fuel oil smell out of her clothes?

By vmccook from Tunkhannock, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

GO to the local auto parts store and pick up a bottle of 'pink stuff' (real name) this pulls the smells of kero, gas etc from clothes, car rugs etc. Ria

Read More Answers...

My husband was using his chain saw to cut wood and got gasoline all over his nylon sweat pants. I have tried soaking them in biz, washed them 3 times and they still smell like gasoline.

Got any solutions?

Thanks,

Linda from Illinois

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My son was riding 4 wheeler and got gas all over his coveralls. I have washed them 5 times. How can I get the gas smell out of the clothes and my washer?

Read More Answers...

Does anyone know how to remove the smell of diesel fuel from hands and clothing?

Michelle from PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

My husband is a truck driver and we have had this problem a lot on his work clothes. He has a hand cleaner called Fast Orange. We got it at Wal-mart, they also carry it at auto parts stores. I put a little of that on his clothes and wash as usual. It gets the smell and the greasy feel out of the clothes. I would think it would work just as well for your hands.

Good Luck!

Best Answer

My husband spilled diesel on his hands tonight and we saw that Simple Green might get rid of it, so we tried it. The smell is gone for the most part. We're satisfied with it!

Best Answer

My husband works in the oil field and always reeks of diesel. Getting sick of running to the laundry mat everyday, finally I just threw some baking soda and vinegar in with laundry soap, in the washer, and the smell came out. I was shocked!

Best Answer

Try soaking the clothes in a tub of warm water or washer after agitating a few minutes with 1 cup of Tide or degreaser like Dawn dish soap for 2 hours (this breaks down oils in fuel). Drain this water off, then rinse, and then refill tub or washer with warm clean water and a 2 liter bottle of Coke and a whole box of baking soda agitate it around to mix it up with the clothes. Let this soak for 12-24 hours. Wash like normal. There is not even a faint fuel smell left. This could get expensive if you do this each load for some one who works and gets full of fuel/gas all the time though.

Read More Answers...

How do you get the smell of gasoline out of a load of towels in the washer?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Gas Off

Read More Answers...

How do I get diesel smell out of clothes?

By Sherri from Milledgeville, GA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you get gasoline off clothes?

Teresa from Cincinnati, OH

Answers:

Gas Smell on Clothing

It was my husband's work clothes, but I always kept the clothes outside and let the rain and sun clean out most of the smell and then washed as usual. Hang outside to dry. (02/25/2009)

By kghsave

Gas Smell on Clothing

I've had trouble getting the gas smell out too, until I found this stuff at my local Publix, but apparently it's not available nationally yet. It actually got the smell out completely. I was shocked!
      www.fishhandsoap.com (05/06/2009)

By MissMary

Gas Smell on Clothing

I washed a full load of laundry twice using 1/4 cup Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile soap in my front-loading machine. I then line-dried the load, which is gasoline-odor free. (05/11/2009)

By Austin Girl

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you get diesel fuel out of a cotton shirt?

By Jolene

Answers:

Removing Diesel Fuel Smell from Clothing

First put "GOOP" the hand cleaner on to any stain.
      Then wash it in your machine with 2 cans of Classic Coca-Cola (not sugar-free) in with your regular laundry soap.

Smell the shirt before you place it in the dryer. Do not put it into a hot dryer until the odor is gone or the heat may "set" the stain and odor.

Afterwards, you can also spray it with Febreze and hang outside in the fresh air. If this doesn't work, you can also try Oxiclean. (04/03/2010)

By Cyinda

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What takes the smell of diesel out of clothes?

By Tonda from Fort Worth, TX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you get diesel fuel out of clothing?

By Marie

Answers:

Here in Mississippi, the orange hand cleaner is called Gojo. They have it at WalMart and AutoZone and various other car part stores. Sometimes it can be found at Dollar General, also. I have used it to remove hydraulic fluid stains and it works pretty well, but it may take a couple of tries to get it done. (11/18/2009)

By Belinda

I put everything he wears including underwear and socks that reek of jet fuel in the sun. Sometimes it can take from a few days to a week, but it always works. The sun's rays just bake the smell out. Make sure you get all areas exposed to the sun and turn inside out as well. (12/13/2009)

By gailz

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I get the odor of diesel out of clothes?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Load More
      Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryJanuary 26, 2013
      work boots
      Removing Diesel Fuel from Shoes and Boots
      man servicing a semi truck
      Cleaning Diesel Fuel on Concrete
      cleaning a car interior
      Cleaning Diesel Fuel Odors From Inside a Car
      gas costs for road travel
      Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 23, 2016 at 5:04:14 AM on 10.0.2.92 in 933 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.