Removing Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Odors From Clothing

If you have ever spilled fuel on your clothing, you know that the odor is sometimes difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing gasoline and diesel fuel odors from clothing

Work Clothing
Filter Sort

Question: Removing Diesel Fuel Smell From Hands and Clothing

Does anyone know how to remove the smell of diesel fuel from hands and clothing?

Michelle from PA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

My husband is a truck driver and we have had this problem a lot on his work clothes. He has a hand cleaner called Fast Orange. We got it at Wal-mart, they also carry it at auto parts stores. I put a little of that on his clothes and wash as usual. It gets the smell and the greasy feel out of the clothes. I would think it would work just as well for your hands.

Good Luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

My husband spilled diesel on his hands tonight and we saw that Simple Green might get rid of it, so we tried it. The smell is gone for the most part. We're satisfied with it!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

My husband works in the oil field and always reeks of diesel. Getting sick of running to the laundry mat everyday, finally I just threw some baking soda and vinegar in with laundry soap, in the washer, and the smell came out. I was shocked!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Try soaking the clothes in a tub of warm water or washer after agitating a few minutes with 1 cup of Tide or degreaser like Dawn dish soap for 2 hours (this breaks down oils in fuel). Drain this water off, then rinse, and then refill tub or washer with warm clean water and a 2 liter bottle of Coke and a whole box of baking soda agitate it around to mix it up with the clothes. Let this soak for 12-24 hours. Wash like normal. There is not even a faint fuel smell left. This could get expensive if you do this each load for some one who works and gets full of fuel/gas all the time though.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Gasoline Smell out of Towels

How do you get the smell of gasoline out of a load of towels in the washer?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By brucedrivesfast 2 Flag

Gas Off

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Diesel Fuel Smell from Clothing

By Bill Monks 1

I need to clean some clothes that have some diesel fuel on them. Thanks.

By Bill from Flat River Desloge

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By KELLY 1 Flag

I Soaked jeans that diesel had spilled on in a bucket with Downy fabric softer for 2 hrs, and then washed normally and the smell was gone.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By GAIL 1 Flag

My husband has worked on aircraft fuel tanks for years. He comes home reeking of the JP-8 jet fuel that he gets exposed to. I'm extremely allergic to any kind of scented products so I had to find a way to remove the smell from his clothes without using more chemicals. Get ready, it's the simplest thing and it always works.

I put everything he wears including underwear and socks that reek of jet fuel in the sun! Sometimes it can take from a few days to a week, but it always works. The sun's rays just bake the smell out. Make sure you get all areas exposed to the sun and turn inside out as well.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Ann Winberg 306 239 Flag

I used to use pinesol in the wash to remove diesel.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Diesel Smell from Clothes

By Lisa E. 1

How do you get the diesel smell out of clothes?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Diesel Fuel from Clothes

By vschlaack 1

How do you get diesel fuel out of clothes?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By cathy 2 61 Flag

add a can of coca -cola with your detergent and wash as usual ,

cathy from ma

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Gasoline (Petrol) Smell from Clothing

By Fritti 1

When I fueled up my ATV on a snowy day I spilled gas on my outdoor pants. How can I get rid of the smell? I'm living in Norway, so please don't recommend a cleaning agent you only have in the US. I am looking for some household way. Please help.

By Fritti from Norway

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

December 5, 2012 Flag

I accidently got gasoline on my son yesterday while at the pump. I read tons and then tried the tip with Coke and it really does work. I'm not talking about a little spot either ...it was a lot of gas, possibly about 5 cups. I used a one liter of Coke, a half cup of liquid dish soap and 5 cups of hot water. Mixed it all in garbage bag and placed jeans and shirt inside to soak for 3 hours.

I dumped the clothes into washer and ran through wash on warm and guess what? The smell is gone. Saved a new pair of jeans and a north face jacket. Thank goodness. I never did like Coke but now I love it...lol

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Gasoline Smell on Nylon Jogging Pants

By Linda 1

My husband was using his chain saw to cut wood and got gasoline all over his nylon sweat pants. I have tried soaking them in biz, washed them 3 times and they still smell like gasoline.

Got any solutions?

Thanks,

Linda from Illinois

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

My son was riding 4 wheeler and got gas all over his coveralls. I have washed them 5 times. How can I get the gas smell out of the clothes and my washer?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Diesel Fuel Odor

How do you remove diesel fuel smell from clothes and trunk of car?

By Sheila

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Cricket 205 896 Flag

As the wife of a trucker, I used to have this problem.

One way I use to remove that distinctive diesel odor is to lay a baby wipe in his drawer. Baby wipes tend to absorb diesel odors better than any other product I've found.

Another use for the baby wipes is to get 5th wheel grease off his hands and clothes. We discovered this not long after he started driving. Baby wipes are the ONLY thing that will remove that stubborn 5th wheel grease.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Gas Smell on Clothing

By Paula 1

My mother-in-law drives a bus. She got fuel today and there was an air bubble in the hose and fuel got all over her shoes and sweatpants. How can we get rid of the smell?

By Paula from Emlenton, PA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sheila 3 162 Flag

My husband drives a gas tanker, so I deal with this regularly. What I do is along with my regular detergent I add 20 Mule Team Borax, gets it out every time and in only one wash!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Fuel Odors on Clothing

By Valerie McCook 1

My elderly mother washed her clothes with a container that had fuel oil in it instead of laundry detergent. How do I get fuel oil smell out of her clothes?

By vmccook from Tunkhannock, PA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By REE 1 63 Flag

GO to the local auto parts store and pick up a bottle of 'pink stuff' (real name) this pulls the smells of kero, gas etc from clothes, car rugs etc. Ria

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Diesel Fuel Smell from Clothes

By BJ Vonier 1

My husband spilled diesel fuel on his clothes. I have tried several things such as Febreze for laundry odors with no results. What do I do?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Spider Chick 1 Flag

Baking soda will perform MIRACLES on odors, so I bet it can tackle stinky diesel fuel!

You will need to soak the clothes in warm or hot water that has baking soda added. I would try maybe 1/2 to 1 cup baking soda per gallon of water. You could do this in a top-load washing machine (stopped), or in the bathtub or in a big bucket. Stir the baking soda into the water very well, so it is somewhat "disolved". Dunk the clothes and let them soak for a while, maybe 1/2 hour. Pull them out and wash as usual, with the warmest water appropriate for the fabrics. As an extra boost, you could also add Oxy Clean to the laundry load. (The Dollar Store has an Oxy cleaner/laundry additive that works quite well and is much cheaper than the brand name). Hopefully this will work. I have seen baking soda and water cut some really persistent stinks, like super-smelly old Teva sandals (before they put anti-stink stuff into the rubber), and kitchen sponges that stink even after they've been boiled/disinfected.

Good luck! And please let me know if this works!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Remove Odor of Diesel Fuel from Clothes

By Mary Ann H. 1

How can I remove the smell of diesel from a whole load of laundry? My husband spilled diesel on his shirt sleeve and put it in with the clothes I had in the washer. I did not realize the smell would not come out with a regular detergent (unscented All).

By Mary Ann

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Joann C. 1 Flag

My husband fuels busses for the city and his clothes git drenched. How do I get the smell out of his cloth, especially his coat, it's winter and he needs it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Gasoline Odor from Clothes

How do I get a gasoline odor removed from a sweatshirt?

By A Garner

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Belinda W. 1 Flag

Was putting diesel gas in truck and the nozzle came a lose, and got on my clothes and shoes. I would like to know how to remove that smell from my clothes? Thank you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Diesel Fuel Out of Clothes

Is pumice in the fast orange that bad to put in the washing machine to remove diesel fuel from clothing?

By Stacey s

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sheilah Link 5 328 Flag

I would recommend Dawn dishwash liquid and hot, hot water. Pumice works like sand paper and the diesel has worked into the fiber of the material. It may take several cycles to remove the diesel and the Dawn itself, so don't use too much Dawn.

If you can, stop the wash cycle after the clothes are saturated and let the items soak for 10-15 minutes to allow the water and Dawn to permeate the fabric. Vinegar in the rinse cycle will help get soap out.

WARNING: Dawn suds like crazy and you will have a mess if you use too much. Add a little at a time until there is a very thin covering of suds on the top of the water. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Diesel Fuel Odor from Shoes

How do I get diesel out of my leather boots?

By William P.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Jet Fuel Smell from Clothes

I am trying to remove jet fuel smell from clothing. Normally I am limited to a laundromat so presoaking would be difficult. I have presoaked in Coke, used borax, baking soda, lemon juice, hanging in the sun, that worked when I had three sunny days, but did not remove it from rubberized material - waist band of underwear, and Lestoil. The last, Lestoil, really got to the ground in dirt and removed a lot of the smell, but not all. None of the others worked. I see using Murphy's oil soap, Fast Orange, etc. on this site. Do they work? How much?

Also, need to rid my apartment fo the odor. Any thoughts? All recommendations appreciated.

By Alden from Somerville, MA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Gasoline from Diving Gear

I had a petrol spill on a diving buoyancy compensation device. How do I get rid of the petrol contamination on my diving equipment?

By Jehan from Sri Lanka

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Diesel Fuel Odour from Jacket

How do I remove diesel fuel odour from a safety jacket?

By Elyse Y

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Diesel Smell From Clothing

How do you get diesel smells out of clothes?

By Karen O. from Holsworthy, Devon

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Diesel Smell Out of Clothes

How do I get diesel smell out of clothes?

By Darrell

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Diesel Smell on Clothes

How can I get the diesel smell out of my son's clothes? It is really strong.

By Angie G.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Diesel Smell Out of Charcoal Coat

My husband has a coat that is "scent stop", he got diesel on it. I have washed it several times. and still smell it. Please help. Thank you.

By Donna C

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Removing Diesel Fuel Smell from Clothing

I am requesting any information regarding the elimination of diesel fuel smell from clothing. I have tried washing (twice actually) with regular detergent but the smell remains. Subsequently, I now have the smell inside the washing machine and am afraid to wash a load of laundry in case the smell comes off on other clothing.

Patti

Answers:
        White Vinegar 12/28/2004
        Try soaking overnight with detergent and a cup or more white vinegar. You may need to rinse twice but that should work.
        By lindal
        Vinegar and Baking Soda 12/28/2004
        You might want to try the vinegar and baking soda together as well! Also some good softener may help! Good luck!
        By homeschoolin_mum
        Orange Glo 12/28/2004
        I used to work in insurance restoration. The only thing we found that removed the diesel smell was citrus based products. Something like Orange Glo all purpose cleaner. Fill a tub with lukewarm water and a substantial amount of Orange cleaner (heck... use a whole bottle!!). Let it soak over night. Next day, drain the water and put the wet clothes into the washer. Run it thru a cycle using about a cup of the orange cleaner.

You should probably run the washer thru an empty cycle with a cup or two of the orange cleaner first, just so you don't add the smell back in.

Good luck, it's a stubborn odor and all the typical restoration tricks and chemicals (including odor neutralizers) didn't work. We tried the citrus as a last resort and it actually worked!!

Don't use dish soap... it will suds way too much!

By beanygurl
        Cola 12/30/2004
        I don't know if this works but I have heard that if you soak the clothes in cola it will remove the smell - also oil smells.
        By toni k (Guest Post)
        Dawn Dish Detergent 12/31/2004
        Since you already washed the clothes this may not work but try Dawn dish detergent.
        By brizaksmommy
        Simple Green 01/01/2005
        Use 1/4 cup of Simple Green and half of what you would normally use of your laundry soap. It worked for us when my daughters mobile had a fuel leak and all their clothes smelled like fuel.
        By Cheryl (Guest Post)
        RE: Orange Hand Cleaner 01/17/2005
        Does the orange hand cleaner work to get the smell out of the washing machine? Does it harm the machine at all, my washer is fairly new and I don't want to ruin it. Heck, we are still paying for it!
        By Malarie (Guest Post)
        RE: Vinegar and Baking Soda 01/18/2005
        I tried vinegar and baking soda approach-did absolutely nothing.
        By Tim (Guest Post)
        RE: Orange Glo 10/20/2005
        Thanks beanygurl for the Orange Glo tip! I was in a panic; I had washed my son's clothes three times-once with bleach and laundry soap, once with vinegar and the last time with vinegar and laundry soap but had no luck in getting rid of the smell of diesel that was still in the clothes and was now in my washing machine. After reading your posting I thought I'd give Orange Glow a try. I filled the washer with warm water and 3/4 of the bottle of Orange Glow and let the clothes soak for approximately 4 hours. I then added a regular amount of laundry soap and then let the machine run through the cycles. Not only did the Orange Glow get ride of the diesel smell, it also left a nice smell on the clothes and also got ride of the diesel smell that I thought might be permanently on the washer. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE GREAT TIP!
        By Lynda C (Guest Post)
        Removing the Smell 02/01/2006
        By the way, to remove the smell from your hands, wash your hands with common white toothpaste (not gel). Works good after cleaning fish too.
        By Robert Dingley (Guest Post)
        No Luck 02/20/2006
        My fiancé hauled fuel oil for 4 years. There is no way that we ever found to completely remove the smell or the residue. We tried Fabreeze, OxyGel, Baking Soda, Vinegar, every detergent on the market, tried hot water, cold water everything. Even after 1 shift in which he didn't get "sprayed" his clothes reeked. It's an oil on a porous fabric - like oil floats on water. We just threw them out.
        By Cass (Guest Post)
        RE: Coke 03/11/2006
        Glad I found this site. My hubby sprayed himself with diesel when filling up his lorry. I've tried all sorts of cleaners (lemon, baking soda, 20 washes, vinegar, etc.). I am going to get a bottle of coke now and give that a go. Will let you know how I get on.
        By Angie Webster (Guest Post)
        RE: Orange Glo 03/16/2006
        Where do you get the Orange Glo?
        By Joseph Barnett (Guest Post)
        RE: Orange Glo 03/22/2006
        I Tried the orange glo wood cleaner. It's the only one I could find. I used the whole bottle. I can still smell the fuel, not so bad but still there. Did I use the wrong kind or not enough or what?
        By Kelly (Guest Post)
        Ammonia 04/24/2006
        My husband works at a quarry and has to fuel the trucks frequently. He gets fuel on his clothing often. The only thing we have found that works to get the smell off is washing the clothes in ammonia. I wash them once w/ammonia and water and then I will rewash them w/detergent. That has always worked for me.
        By Josie (Guest Post)
        RE: Orange Glo 04/29/2006
        Thanks for the tip with the orange glow it got the awful smell of diesel fuel out of my entire load of jeans!
        By christi (Guest Post)

My husband works with diesel all day long and he comes home smelling of it. I have no clue in how to remove the smell off his clothing I know not to wash it in our own washing machine and I really can't soak it. We are living in a motel right now so I don't really have time to soak. If anyone knows a trick on how to remove the smell that would be great.

Samantha from Houston TX

Answers:

Orange Cleaner

The orange cleaner works! The bottom of my jeans were soaked in diesel fuel. I washed them 3 times and even sprayed perfume on them! Now they smell like oranges, but I am sure that will wear out in time.
        Thanks for the tips! (06/05/2006)

By Melody

Borax

My husband works with all sorts chemical solvents and fuels as an outboard technician. I wash all his clothes in our home washer with hot water and about a half cup of borax (borateem) added with the soap. it breaks down the oils in the fuels (transmission fluid is THE worst) and i double rinse. hardly ever have odors left after that! (06/06/2006)

By carla bledsoe

Gain and Era

my husband works on large equipment and I tried the baking soda and vinegar. It helped but what put it over the edge was both of those mixed with Gain and Era laundry detergent. make sure to let all that stuff soak together overnight (09/11/2006)

By sherry o

Orange All Purpose Cleaner

I've tried washing my husbands work clothes 3x with just the detergent and the smell remains, I've lost my patience and to the point that I want to throw them away. Until I've read about using ORANGE all purpose cleaner and it works! I soaked the clothes for an hour and throw it back in the washer along with the water i soaked it with and add only a little of detergent and ran the washer in full cycle. It removed the diesel smell from the clothes & from the washer from previous wash. (11/19/2006)

By Lynee

Orange Glo

You can buy Orange Glo at any Canadian Tire for $5.49. It worked for me. Now just have to see if it works on the inside of the truck. Thanks (11/27/2006)

By Julie

Baking Soda

I have used baking soda 3 different times when my husband has gotten diesel fuel on his clothes. It has taken a couple boxes and I've ran them through the wash twice but it took it out completely. (12/28/2006)

By Tami

Washing Machine?

What are the effects some of these cleaners and products have on a washer machine? I would love to try some of these suggestions on my husband's clothes but I am weary to try anything that can ruin my machine. (01/23/2007)

By Turtlewench

How do you get diesel fumes from a Navy ship out of clothing? Just washing doesn't help. The smell is so deep into the clothes and pillow from a training weekend.

Thanks,

Melanie from CANADA

Answers:

RE: Removing Diesel Fuel Smell from Clothing

My husband works on military trucks and the gas leaked all over his uniform. I tried everything on this website and nothing worked so I went to walmart as a last resort and found this stuff that is called"kids 'n' pets" instant all-purpose stain and odor remover. It work like a miracle. If you ever need any odor out of your clothes this is the best stuff to get. (02/08/2007)

By kristi

Murphy's Oil Soap takes diesel fuel and odor out of clothing. (02/17/2007)

By Alicia James

My husband got sprayed with fuel. I've washed the clothes 3 times soaked them over night. But the odor is as strong as ever. I am going to try the Orange Glow. Thanks for the advice, hope it works (02/26/2007)

By Amanda

This is an update. At one of the janitorial supply companies in our city they carry a product called "Breakdown" made by Butchers. I used 2 cups of this in just enough hot water in the washing machine to soak the pillow and the sleeping bag for 45 minutes. Then rinsed them out, took them to the laundromat because industrial machines are just better, and the smell of diesel was gone. Thanks for all the help. (04/13/2007)

By SeaHag

Odoban

Wal-Mart also sells a product called Odoban. I used it on some work gloves that were soaked in JP-5 (Jet Fuel) and it completely took care of the smell. I washed the gloves after I let the Odoban dry and I could still smell the Eucalyptus scent. (05/02/2007)

By Dan

Try Castrol Super Clean. Its a big purple bottle in the automotive section of any Car Parts store or Walmart. I started using this stuff when i went to massage therapy school to get the oil out of my sheets. You can pretreat areas with it too. i put about a cup in a wash load and wash at the hottest possible water setting. Soak in the washer if you can for about 1/2 an hour (I have a front load now and really miss this feature) There is no need to re wash after, this stuff smells great! Good Luck.

P.S. its great in a spray bottle in the kitchen too!
        (06/27/2007)

By deb

To take out jet fuel from uniforms or clothes and you don't have any fancy stuff just use coke , get a can of coke and put it on the stain area and poor a little extra in with the soap and it disappears. Makes you wonder whats in the coke. Doesn't work with other sodas just coke for some reason. (07/02/2007)

By Henry

I have the same problem, but with my VAN...over a gallon of gas spilled in the back onto the carpet - it was SO BAD it leaked through the bottom of the vehicle. I haven't found anything to take out the smell, as it cannot be "washed and rinsed". I feel it's also a safety hazard. (07/30/2007)

By Lore

Good to know that the Orange Glo worked so well for so many of you. Like I originally posted, it was the only product we found that helped. Well, any all purpose citrus cleaner, but orange glo is the most common.

The orange glo wood cleaner is a very different product. The one you need is a general purpose cleaner, like one that you'd put in a pail of water to mop the floor. (08/09/2007)

By beanygurl

On the weekend I soaked my work cloths in unleaded petrol and then wrung them out and left them to air dry. This was to remove the diesel. Then I soaked it in nappy sand for an hour and then machine washed them to remove the petrol smell and I am very happy with the out come. (09/09/2007)

By Warren

Can you clean diesel fuel from leather and mesh shoes?

John from Quartzsite, AZ

Answers:

RE: Orange Glo

Thanks for the Orange Glo tip. My son got diesel on his new jeans. I figured I'd have to throw them away until I came to this website. I went to Dollar General and bought an All Purpose Orange Cleaner. Took it home, poured about 3/4 of the bottle in the washer with the jeans in hot water. Let soak for about 2 hours. Ran through the wash cycle with Gain and the water they had soaked in. I then added the remainder of the orange cleaner and let soak overnight. I washed them again using the same cycle as before. NO DIESEL SMELL!Thanks so much! (11/07/2007)

By Cheree

Removing Diesel Fuel Smell from Clothing

Can someone please help me out? I spilled Diesel all over my work clothes, and cannot get rid of the smell at all. Can anyone tell me a product or method for getting rid of the Diesel smell, that is available in the UK? Because I'm not sure if the products listed before can be purchased here in the UK. (12/15/2007)

By Joe

I'm a mobile grease monkey/fuel guy who regularly gets sprayed with a variety of oils and fuels including diesel, hydraulic/transmission/engine oil, and grease. I've tried borax, ammonia, bleach, dandruff shampoo and detergent to no avail at all. I guess I'll try orange glo next. (01/19/2008)

By Gordo migraned86 AT hotmail.com

I have a brand new wool Tibetan sweater I bought about 3 weeks ago. The other day, as I was fueling my school bus, the nozzle and the hose at the fueling station fell apart spraying diesel fuel all over my hair, face, sweater, bus, as well as the ground. Being wool, I cannot wash my sweater in hot or even warm water. I washed it normally once as soon as I could. I have soaked it and washed it once with the Orange Glo stuff, but can still smell the diesel. Guess I will try a few of the other ideas here. Perhaps a combination of them will finally do the trick. I am really glad that I found these ideas though, at least I have a few different things to try. (02/09/2008)

By Lisa

My husband had diesel spilled all over his suitcase, all his clothes smell really bad. Thanks for the ideas, I was lost. Now I'm going shopping. (02/13/2008)

By cindy

RE: ORANGE GLO

Can you buy orange glo in the UK? Trying to get smell of diesel out of husband's trousers! (02/21/2008)

By Sarah

Hi all. I'm a foolish male in the UK, so you Yanks don't have the monopoly, after all. ;) Whilst squirting diesel into my Merc., I decided I couldn't feel it pumping, so I drew the nozzle out, and generously splashed my Rohan trousers.
        I stuck them in the washing machine, on a normal wash, and, what's more, I put other clothes in too. Told you I was a foolish male. After polluting the machine and all the other clothes, I THEN started reading.

Using a couple of dishwasher tablets on the hottest (empty) cycle was successful with giving the washing machine a detox. For the clothes, and particularly the trousers, I tried and failed with all the usual ones, vinegar, soda, etc. Things didn't even go better with Coke, so that's another Marketing lie. I couldn't find the "Orange" product in the UK, or an equivalent. I did consider chucking orange-juice concentrate in with the load. I didn't in the end, but I do still suspect it might work.

Finally, I remembered what my Mum always swore by : an overnight soak in Ariel washing powder. A 6am visit to Tesco led to the discovery that they do one "with Febreeze effect", so that's the one I used. Put about half a pint of powder in a bucket, add boiling water (ie: from a kettle), and stir in the clothes with a wooden spoon. Put the most polluted items in first, and stir ...as viciously as you like, but without splashing any nosy, but otherwise innocent, observer (although inebriated adult males are fair game).

If the water is largely absorbed before the last garments are in, please DON'T stick your hands in to maneuver the clothes, add cold water until it's over the clothes, stirring with the spoon. Unless you're another foolish male, in which case, I'll probably see you in A&E. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I actually soaked for 24 hours, so I don't know if overnight would be sufficient or not. Anyway, once drained and wrung, they came out smelling "grubby" but otherwise neutral, but most specifically NOT of diesel, so I then put them through a normal 40deg cycle with conditioner, and the job is done.
        Hope this helps someone :) (02/28/2008)

By david AT eswales.org

I could not find orange glo, but used pine sol all purpose orange cleaner. It worked great. Thanks for the tip! (03/28/2008)

By nutsmama

Liquid fabric softener worked! I tried everything (simple green, clorox for colors, vinegar) then last resort I soaked the shirt in liquid fabric softener for about 2 hours. No more Diesel Fuel Smell. (03/29/2008)

By Deb

If you're in the UK, I can confirm that using Ariel with Febreeze (pale turquoise box of liquid sachets), using just one sachet, worked like a dream on really badly contaminated jeans and also a wool rug. Many thanks for the tip! (10/15/2008)

By J Fox (UK)

Archive: Gas Smell on Clothing

How do you get gasoline off clothes?

Teresa from Cincinnati, OH

Answers:

RE: Gas Smell on Clothing

I had this happen once and I added Febreze to the laundry! (01/07/2007)

By justathought

RE: Gas Smell on Clothing

I used vinegar. It not only gets the smell out but whitens up your whites and makes your colored clothes even brighter. Use about a cup per washload.
        Hope this helps. (01/08/2007)

By Star

RE: Gas Smell on Clothing

Putting clothes with gas on them in the washing machine only makes things worse - including the washing machine. Instead hang them outside for a couple days while the gas evaporates, then wash them. I didn't need to use vinegar or anything after hanging clothes outside.
        (10/21/2007)

RE: Gas Smell on Clothing

Perfect solution. Dawn Direct Foam, apple vinegar, and two cans beer.

• set water level to medium
        • add six squirts of dawn
          <li.add 2 cups apple cider vinegar (smells nicer than other vinegar)
        • run normal cycle
        • drink the two beers

Then you are back to playing with engines! (02/08/2008)

By nab

RE: Gas Smell on Clothing

I tried everything listed on here for getting gasoline out of my jeans. None of it worked until I took a friend's advice and used cotton balls dipped in pure vanilla extract. I let the cotton swabs sit on the clothing for about an hour and the smell was finally gone. (03/01/2008)

By Jamie

RE: Gasoline smell in washer

I heard that if you have the gasoline smell in your washer after washing clothes with gas on them, use baby oil in the machine with some old rags and wash. The smell is gone, I also ran the washer empty with detergent once before I washed in it again. (04/19/2008)

By Gramma Sam

RE: Gas Smell on Clothing

I had this problem, too. I washed the clothes several times with vinegar or baking soda or both, to no avail. I searched the internet and found a lady who soaked the clothes in Coke Classic and baking soda. I soaked my clothes in the sink with 2 20 oz bottles of Coke Classic, a whole box of baking soda, and cold water for almost 48 hours. Then I washed all of the clothes one last time. And it worked! I was very skeptical at first but that Coke did the trick. Make sure it doesn't smell like gas when you put it in the dryer! (05/18/2008)

RE: Gas Smell on Clothing

I got gasoline on my denim skirt while filling up my car. Washed it several times in washer, and the smell would not come out. Found this website and tried some of the suggestions found here. Soaked my denim skirt in a mixture of Coke and vinegar overnight and then washed in washer. The smell did not come out. Then I tried the M30 hand cleaner from Dollar General, as someone suggested. I put three huge tablespoons full in with my detergent and washed as usual. It took the smell right out. The M30 cost only a dollar plus tax. Hopefully I won't get gasoline on my clothes again, but if I do I know exactly what to use. (05/26/2008)

By Motorcycle Mama

RE: Gas Smell on Clothing

Got an involuntary gasoline shower at the gas station when the nozzle slipped out of my hands and the lever locked it into the on position. Tried the water, coke and baking soda soak over night and my clothes smell great! No smell at all! Cleaned my leather shoes with Simple Green concentrate and a cloth and they smell fine too. Yeah! I highly recommend it. (12/18/2008)

By Jennygirl

RE: Gas Smell on Clothing

If none of these work for you, call your local Home Extension Agency (part of your county government). They are there to answer just this sort of question.

I had a similar problem years ago and my home extension agent told me to wash with a big name detergent such as Surf or Tide, (and now they also have the Febreze additives to remove smell) with a cup of white vinegar. First, do a soak cycle, then wash and rinse, then wash a second time and then line dry. The line drying is an important step, as the air drying helps to dissipate the fumes! Good luck! And remember, if all else fails, call you home extension agency. (02/18/2009)

By bailegirl

How do I get the odor of diesel out of clothes? I have washed and air dried them, but the smell is still there. Thank you for all your help.

Burn from Omak, WA

Feedback:

Try sudsy ammonia. Pour at least one cup per load of clothes. Wash as usual. (12/20/2008)

By missysmom

I had my therm-a-rest stored in the garage and diesel ended up getting all over it. I tried the washing machine over and over with no luck. Then I tried the orange hand cleaner I use to wash my hands after working on the car. It took a lot of it, but it worked! I thought for sure I was going to have to buy a new one. Now, let's just hope the bears can't smell it. (12/28/2008)

By Chris

Okay, that's great. I have spent the last 1/2 hour on line looking for an "orange glo" multi-purpose cleaner. Doesn't exist, the only thing they advertise is floor cleaner. Where are you getting it? I couldn't find it at Dollar General either. (01/08/2009)

By Natalie

I soaked jeans that diesel had spilled on in a bucket with Downy fabric softener for 2 hrs, and then washed normally and the smell was gone. (01/13/2009)

By SMTHK1

I just wanted to share something that I've done with my husband's clothes for years. He drives log truck and works on it so there is always the smell of diesel and other oil, lube stuff and whatnot on his clothes. I know the orange works, but I don't usually have it, or not enough to wash his clothes with it, but I do have lemon scented ammonia all the time. I just pour some in the wash with his clothes and they always come out smelling good. Ammonia doesn't take out the color on anything so it's safe to use on colored clothes.

Also, a friend of mine has always used a small can of Coke to take out the diesel stains and smell. She just dumps it in the washer along with the soap. Hope someone can use this! (08/18/2009)

By Carla53

How do you get diesel fuel out of clothing?

By Marie

Feedback:

Here in Mississippi, the orange hand cleaner is called Gojo. They have it at WalMart and AutoZone and various other car part stores. Sometimes it can be found at Dollar General, also. I have used it to remove hydraulic fluid stains and it works pretty well, but it may take a couple of tries to get it done. (11/18/2009)

By Belinda

I put everything he wears including underwear and socks that reek of jet fuel in the sun. Sometimes it can take from a few days to a week, but it always works. The sun's rays just bake the smell out. Make sure you get all areas exposed to the sun and turn inside out as well. (12/13/2009)

By gailz

What takes the smell of diesel out of clothes?

By Tonda from Fort Worth, TX

How do you get diesel fuel out of a cotton shirt?

By Jolene

Feedback:

First put "GOOP" the hand cleaner on to any stain.
        Then wash it in your machine with 2 cans of Classic Coca-Cola (not sugar-free) in with your regular laundry soap.

Smell the shirt before you place it in the dryer. Do not put it into a hot dryer until the odor is gone or the heat may "set" the stain and odor.

Afterwards, you can also spray it with Febreze and hang outside in the fresh air. If this doesn't work, you can also try Oxiclean. (04/03/2010)

By Cyinda

Archive: Gas Smell on Clothing

How do you get gasoline off clothes?

Teresa from Cincinnati, OH

Feedback:

RE: Gas Smell on Clothing

It was my husband's work clothes, but I always kept the clothes outside and let the rain and sun clean out most of the smell and then washed as usual. Hang outside to dry. (02/25/2009)

By kghsave

RE: Gas Smell on Clothing

I've had trouble getting the gas smell out too, until I found this stuff at my local Publix, but apparently it's not available nationally yet. It actually got the smell out completely. I was shocked!
        www.fishhandsoap.com (05/06/2009)

By MissMary

RE: Gas Smell on Clothing

I washed a full load of laundry twice using 1/4 cup Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile soap in my front-loading machine. I then line-dried the load, which is gasoline-odor free. (05/11/2009)

By Austin Girl

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryJanuary 26, 2013
        ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
        work boots
        Removing Diesel Fuel from Shoes and Boots
        man servicing a semi truck
        Cleaning Diesel Fuel on Concrete
        cleaning a car interior
        Cleaning Diesel Fuel Odors From Inside a Car
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 11:13:02 AM on 10.0.1.78 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsArchives
        NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
        Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
        BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
        CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings