Question

Share | Account | About
Share>Account>About>

Removing Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Odors From Clothing

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Work Clothing

If you have ever spilled fuel on your clothing, you know that the odor is sometimes difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing gasoline and diesel fuel odors from clothing

Here are questions related to Removing Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Odors From Clothing.

Question: Getting Diesel Smell Out of Charcoal Coat

My husband has a coat that is "scent stop", he got diesel on it. I have washed it several times. and still smell it. Please help. Thank you.

By Donna C

Question: Removing Diesel Fuel Odor

How do you remove diesel fuel smell from clothes and trunk of car?

By Sheila

Most Recent Answer

By Cricket04/22/2013

As the wife of a trucker, I used to have this problem.
One way I use to remove that distinctive diesel odor is to lay a baby wipe in his drawer. Baby wipes tend to absorb diesel odors better than any other product I've found.

Another use for the baby wipes is to get 5th wheel grease off his hands and clothes. We discovered this not long after he started driving. Baby wipes are the ONLY thing that will remove that stubborn 5th wheel grease.

Question: Getting Diesel Fuel Out of Clothes

Is pumice in the fast orange that bad to put in the washing machine to remove diesel fuel from clothing?

By Stacey s

Most Recent Answer

By Sheilah Link05/07/2012

I would recommend Dawn dishwash liquid and hot, hot water. Pumice works like sand paper and the diesel has worked into the fiber of the material. It may take several cycles to remove the diesel and the Dawn itself, so don't use too much Dawn.

If you can, stop the wash cycle after the clothes are saturated and let the items soak for 10-15 minutes to allow the water and Dawn to permeate the fabric. Vinegar in the rinse cycle will help get soap out.

WARNING: Dawn suds like crazy and you will have a mess if you use too much. Add a little at a time until there is a very thin covering of suds on the top of the water. Good luck.

Question: Removing Diesel Fuel Smell from Clothing

I need to clean some clothes that have some diesel fuel on them. Thanks.

By Bill from Flat River Desloge

Best Answers

By Ann Winberg04/18/2011

I used to use pinesol in the wash to remove diesel.

Best Answers

By GAIL12/13/2009

My husband has worked on aircraft fuel tanks for years. He comes home reeking of the JP-8 jet fuel that he gets exposed to. I'm extremely allergic to any kind of scented products so I had to find a way to remove the smell from his clothes without using more chemicals. Get ready, it's the simplest thing and it always works.

I put everything he wears including underwear and socks that reek of jet fuel in the sun! Sometimes it can take from a few days to a week, but it always works. The sun's rays just bake the smell out. Make sure you get all areas exposed to the sun and turn inside out as well.

Best Answers

By KELLY01/13/2009

I Soaked jeans that diesel had spilled on in a bucket with Downy fabric softer for 2 hrs, and then washed normally and the smell was gone.

Question: Gas Smell on Clothing

My mother-in-law drives a bus. She got fuel today and there was an air bubble in the hose and fuel got all over her shoes and sweatpants. How can we get rid of the smell?

By Paula from Emlenton, PA

Most Recent Answer

By Sheila03/28/2011

My husband drives a gas tanker, so I deal with this regularly. What I do is along with my regular detergent I add 20 Mule Team Borax, gets it out every time and in only one wash!

Question: Removing Gasoline (Petrol) Smell from Clothing

When I fueled up my ATV on a snowy day I spilled gas on my outdoor pants. How can I get rid of the smell? I'm living in Norway, so please don't recommend a cleaning agent you only have in the US. I am looking for some household way. Please help.

By Fritti from Norway

Most Recent Answer

12/05/2012

I accidently got gasoline on my son yesterday while at the pump. I read tons and then tried the tip with Coke and it really does work. I'm not talking about a little spot either ...it was a lot of gas, possibly about 5 cups. I used a one liter of Coke, a half cup of liquid dish soap and 5 cups of hot water. Mixed it all in garbage bag and placed jeans and shirt inside to soak for 3 hours.

I dumped the clothes into washer and ran through wash on warm and guess what? The smell is gone. Saved a new pair of jeans and a north face jacket. Thank goodness. I never did like Coke but now I love it...lol

Question: Removing Fuel Odors on Clothing

My elderly mother washed her clothes with a container that had fuel oil in it instead of laundry detergent. How do I get fuel oil smell out of her clothes?

By vmccook from Tunkhannock, PA

Most Recent Answer

By REE05/21/2009

GO to the local auto parts store and pick up a bottle of 'pink stuff' (real name) this pulls the smells of kero, gas etc from clothes, car rugs etc. Ria

Question: Gasoline Smell on Nylon Jogging Pants

My husband was using his chain saw to cut wood and got gasoline all over his nylon sweat pants. I have tried soaking them in biz, washed them 3 times and they still smell like gasoline.

Got any solutions?

Thanks,

Linda from Illinois

Most Recent Answer

By Kim (Guest Post)12/19/2005

My son was riding 4 wheeler and got gas all over his coveralls. I have washed them 5 times. How can I get the gas smell out of the clothes and my washer?

Question: Removing Diesel Fuel Smell From Hands and Clothing

Does anyone know how to remove the smell of diesel fuel from hands and clothing?

Michelle from PA

Best Answers

By Ellen (guest) (Guest Post)01/31/2009

Try soaking the clothes in a tub of warm water or washer after agitating a few minutes with 1 cup of Tide or degreaser like Dawn dish soap for 2 hours (this breaks down oils in fuel). Drain this water off, then rinse, and then refill tub or washer with warm clean water and a 2 liter bottle of Coke and a whole box of baking soda agitate it around to mix it up with the clothes. Let this soak for 12-24 hours. Wash like normal. There is not even a faint fuel smell left. This could get expensive if you do this each load for some one who works and gets full of fuel/gas all the time though.

Best Answers

By Veronica (Guest Post)12/20/2007

My husband works in the oil field and always reeks of diesel. Getting sick of running to the laundry mat everyday, finally I just threw some baking soda and vinegar in with laundry soap, in the washer, and the smell came out. I was shocked!

Best Answers

By Kelly (Guest Post)01/02/2007

My husband spilled diesel on his hands tonight and we saw that Simple Green might get rid of it, so we tried it. The smell is gone for the most part. We're satisfied with it!

Best Answers

By Jill (Guest Post)10/04/2004

My husband is a truck driver and we have had this problem a lot on his work clothes. He has a hand cleaner called Fast Orange. We got it at Wal-mart, they also carry it at auto parts stores. I put a little of that on his clothes and wash as usual. It gets the smell and the greasy feel out of the clothes. I would think it would work just as well for your hands.
Good Luck!

Question: Gasoline Smell out of Towels

How do you get the smell of gasoline out of a load of towels in the washer?

Most Recent Answer

By (Guest Post)02/06/2009

Coca cola is a good item to use to get gasoline smell out of clothes as well as oil stains.

Solutions: Removing Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Odors From Clothing

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Diesel Fuel Smell from Clothing

I am requesting any information regarding the elimination of diesel fuel smell from clothing. I have tried washing (twice actually) with regular detergent but the smell remains.

My husband works with diesel all day long and he comes home smelling of it. I have no clue in how to remove the smell off his clothing I know not to wash it in our own washing machine and I really can't soak it. We are living in a motel right now so I don't really have time to soak. If anyone knows a trick on how to remove the smell that would be great.

Samantha from Houston TX

Orange Cleaner

The orange cleaner works! The bottom of my jeans were soaked in diesel fuel. I washed them 3 times and even sprayed perfume on them! Now they smell like oranges, but I am sure that will wear out in time. Thanks for the tips! (06/05/2006)

By Melody

Borax

My husband works with all sorts chemical solvents and fuels as an outboard technician. I wash all his clothes in our home washer with hot water and about a half cup of borax (borateem) added with the soap. it breaks down the oils in the fuels (transmission fluid is THE worst) and i double rinse. hardly ever have odors left after that! (06/06/2006)

By carla bledsoe

Gain and Era

my husband works on large equipment and I tried the baking soda and vinegar. It helped but what put it over the edge was both of those mixed with Gain and Era laundry detergent. make sure to let all that stuff soak together overnight (09/11/2006)

By sherry o

Orange All Purpose Cleaner

I've tried washing my husbands work clothes 3x with just the detergent and the smell remains, I've lost my patience and to the point that I want to throw them away. Until I've read about using ORANGE all purpose cleaner and it works! I soaked the clothes for an hour and throw it back in the washer along with the water i soaked it with and add only a little of detergent and ran the washer in full cycle. It removed the diesel smell from the clothes & from the washer from previous wash. (11/19/2006)

By Lynee

Orange Glo

You can buy Orange Glo at any Canadian Tire for $5.49. It worked for me. Now just have to see if it works on the inside of the truck. Thanks (11/27/2006)

By Julie

Baking Soda

I have used baking soda 3 different times when my husband has gotten diesel fuel on his clothes. It has taken a couple boxes and I've ran them through the wash twice but it took it out completely. (12/28/2006)

By Tami

Washing Machine?

What are the effects some of these cleaners and products have on a washer machine? I would love to try some of these suggestions on my husband's clothes but I am weary to try anything that can ruin my machine. (01/23/2007)

By Turtlewench

How do you get diesel fumes from a Navy ship out of clothing? Just washing doesn't help. The smell is so deep into the clothes and pillow from a training weekend.

Thanks,

Melanie from CANADA

RE: Removing Diesel Fuel Smell from Clothing

My husband works on military trucks and the gas leaked all over his uniform. I tried everything on this website and nothing worked so I went to walmart as a last resort and found this stuff that is called"kids 'n' pets" instant all-purpose stain and odor remover. It work like a miracle. If you ever need any odor out of your clothes this is the best stuff to get. (02/08/2007)

By kristi

Murphy's Oil Soap takes diesel fuel and odor out of clothing. (02/17/2007)

By Alicia James

My husband got sprayed with fuel. I've washed the clothes 3 times soaked them over night. But the odor is as strong as ever. I am going to try the Orange Glow. Thanks for the advice, hope it works (02/26/2007)

By Amanda

This is an update. At one of the janitorial supply companies in our city they carry a product called "Breakdown" made by Butchers. I used 2 cups of this in just enough hot water in the washing machine to soak the pillow and the sleeping bag for 45 minutes. Then rinsed them out, took them to the laundromat because industrial machines are just better, and the smell of diesel was gone. Thanks for all the help. (04/13/2007)

By SeaHag

Odoban

Wal-Mart also sells a product called Odoban. I used it on some work gloves that were soaked in JP-5 (Jet Fuel) and it completely took care of the smell. I washed the gloves after I let the Odoban dry and I could still smell the Eucalyptus scent. (05/02/2007)

By Dan

Try Castrol Super Clean. Its a big purple bottle in the automotive section of any Car Parts store or Walmart. I started using this stuff when i went to massage therapy school to get the oil out of my sheets. You can pretreat areas with it too. i put about a cup in a wash load and wash at the hottest possible water setting. Soak in the washer if you can for about 1/2 an hour (I have a front load now and really miss this feature) There is no need to re wash after, this stuff smells great! Good Luck.

P.S. its great in a spray bottle in the kitchen too! (06/27/2007)

By deb

To take out jet fuel from uniforms or clothes and you don't have any fancy stuff just use coke , get a can of coke and put it on the stain area and poor a little extra in with the soap and it disappears. Makes you wonder whats in the coke. Doesn't work with other sodas just coke for some reason. (07/02/2007)

By Henry

I have the same problem, but with my VAN...over a gallon of gas spilled in the back onto the carpet - it was SO BAD it leaked through the bottom of the vehicle. I haven't found anything to take out the smell, as it cannot be "washed and rinsed". I feel it's also a safety hazard. (07/30/2007)

By Lore

Good to know that the Orange Glo worked so well for so many of you. Like I originally posted, it was the only product we found that helped. Well, any all purpose citrus cleaner, but orange glo is the most common.

The orange glo wood cleaner is a very different product. The one you need is a general purpose cleaner, like one that you'd put in a pail of water to mop the floor. (08/09/2007)

By beanygurl

On the weekend I soaked my work cloths in unleaded petrol and then wrung them out and left them to air dry. This was to remove the diesel. Then I soaked it in nappy sand for an hour and then machine washed them to remove the petrol smell and I am very happy with the out come. (09/09/2007)

By Warren

Can you clean diesel fuel from leather and mesh shoes?