Removing Hair Dye on a Painted Wall

Category Walls
Anytime you try to clean spots and stains on a painted wall you want to use care so as not the damage the paint. This is a guide about removing hair dye on a painted wall.

What do I use to get brown hair dye off bathroom walls?

By Helen R from Devonport, Tasmania

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Toothpaste helped me!! Just put some elbow grease into it and it came off easy

Best Answer

Yes! The Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner with Bleach worked so well, even after trying nail polish remover and Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. My walls were eggshell white and the hair dye was a dark brown.

I'm in a dorm where the walls are white and stained it with bright blue hair dye... Just use toothpaste and a warm soapy towel, and it should bring it right off

How can I remove permanent hair dye from my painted wall?

Val from Canada

I just got hair dye on my wall, Im renting an all white apparement..so of course I gotta get it off. I used bleach, and arm n hamer with oxy clean soap podwers, it worked easy!

The bleach! Unbelievable vanished right before my very eyes. Thanks for the advise. Terri from Spokane, WA

I am about to leave my rented apartment and have been trying everything to get black hair dye off the cream walls in the bathroom. I tried everything, hairspray, nail polish remover, bleach, toilet cleaner, WD40, toothpaste and nothing would get it off.

Finally I found the Chux Magic Eraser in Cole's and problem solved! It gets it off without affecting the paint at all! If you're in Australia and looking for these they are in supermarkets near the Chux cloths. Hope this helps!

Katie, Brisbane

Ajax utlra bathroom and Toothpaste, I saw it on another site when I was trying to get the dye off the floor last time I did my hair. It's also a good go to if you can't use bleach. Currently using it on my wall :/

How to remove hair dye from bathroom walls?

By Judy R

If the walls are plastic like from a shower enclosure or tile Clorox cleanup takes it off.

Anonymous

Hand sanitizer takes it off

ajax with bleach helped remove paint. Make a paste and rub it out

Does anyone know how to get red hair dye off of a newly painted light green bathroom wall? I used hairspray, ammonia, and gentle Soft Scrub. They haven't worked. I'm afraid to use bleach as it might turn it white. Any ideas?

By Sheri from Chino, CA

Repaint the spot with the stain on it.

Anonymous

Hopefully you kept some of the paint so you can touch up the spot. :-(

I don't think bleach should hurt your paint. Try it on an inconspicuous spot to see. Bleach takes the color out of things that are dyed, like clothing. Paint is not the same thing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. lol. I too have red hair and have made a lot of mess over the years. What works for me on walls, counter tops, and even the floor are the Mr. Clean Sponges. They are amazing and work for me every time. Hope this helps.

How do I get hair dye off a painted bathroom wall after it has dried for a few minutes? OK, so my wife dyed her hair in my mom's bathroom which of course she did not see it at the time. She tried cleaning it and so did I and I think it may have eaten through the paint. So does that mean I have to paint the walls. Cause I don't think any cleaner will work.

By Josh

I think your mum just won a new paint job for her bathroom. Stuff happens. Apologise profusely and ask her if she'd like a different colour or any decoration changes while you're at the repair job.

And hey, if she's anything like me, she'll say 'Oh, there's a tin of the paint in the garage for just this sort of mishap:)' and all you'll have to do is a spot job.

painting over it will not remove it,,possibly bleach...? but anything moist will make the dye bleed...:(

How do you remove hair dye from a painted wall?

By Kate

How do I remove hair dye from a wall?

By Muriel

I use black hair dye occasionally. Sometimes I see some splashes on the walls. How can I remove it?

By Shanta

Our granddaughter got black hair dye on the wall in her bathroom. Is there anything that will remove it?

By Judy R

l have tried to remove dark hair dye from my bathroom walls with nail polish remover and straight bleach, but it won't come out.

By Judith

I dyed my hair black last weekend and it won't come out of my walls and floor. What should I use to get it out? I used everything I could think of. Please help.

By Ashley