Removing Hairspray Build Up on Walls

I have a small bathroom with the wall behind me getting a good coating of hair spray everyday when I get ready. The wall is a light yellow and the spots are showing up WAY too clearly! How do I remove this without ruining the paint?

Paula in GA

I am a retired hairdresser...

I am a retired hairdresser and salon owner. I often had a problem with a hairspray and other hair product buildup in some of my customers hair. I mixed about a tsp. baking soda in with with the 1st. lather of shampoo, I don't see why this wouldn't work on painted walls. You might try a small inconspicuous place to test it before doing the entire wall. I used this on my counter tops and chairs as well. Hope this helps. (12/01/2000)

By Ann

Try using shampoo diluted with warm water to remove shampoo from bathroom walls. (12/01/2000)

By Dee

Try wiping the walls...

Try wiping the walls with a damp sponge and a little baking soda or ammonia. It will help if you do this after a hot steaming bath or shower.(12/01/2000)

By Kathy Cohen - Northfield, Vermont

To remove the hairspray:

To remove the hairspray build up wipe the area with a cloth dipped in rubbing alcohol works for me. (12/01/2000)

By Mabel

Hairspray Build Up on Walls

I've tried some water with a little shampoo. Shampoo is designed to take care of product build up so it works well on hairsrpay on walls and mirrors. Just wash surface, rince and wipe dry! (11/09/2004)

By R Walker

Hairspray Build Up on Walls

Use a Mr Clean Erasor. They work wonders! (06/27/2005)

By denise

Removing Hairspray Build Up on Walls

I just wipe down walls and counters with rubbing alcohol. It is cheap and has never damaged the paint. Be sure to wipe it off well with clear hot soapy water after you remove the sticky spray. It can also be used to wipe hair spray build up on a curling iron.

Warning: Work in an open area and never have an open flame or light cigaretts while working with alcohol. (07/05/2005)

By j walker

Removing Hairspray Build Up on hair

Thank you ANN (retired hairdresser) for your comments about removing hairspray build up in the hair. I have been trying to find the best and safest way to accomplish this and shampooing alone does not seem to be working. The worst part is that the build up is only in my bangs, which of course is the 1st thing everyone sees. I will try the baking soda idea tonight. (07/05/2006)

By Patty

Removing Hairspray Build Up on Walls
young man using hairspray in front of mirror
Cleaning Hairspray Off Bathroom Surfaces
hair spray
Uses for Hairspray
cleaning walls
Removing Soot from Walls and Ceiling
Homemade Hairspray
Homemade Hairspray Recipes