Removing Ink Stains from Clothing

It can be difficult to remove ink from clothing. This guide is about removing ink stains from clothing.

November 30, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about cleaning ink stains on laundered clothing. Stains can be more difficult to remove once the clothing has been through the wash.

A ink pen that has stained the pocket of a white dress shirt.

October 3, 2016 Flag

How do I get ink stains out of clothes after drying?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How to get ink from already dryed kakies

April 27, 2012 Flag

Use hairspray to treat any type of ink stain (permanent marker, ink pen, etc.). Throw it in the wash machine and voila! No more stain. I have been doing this for years and it works fantastic. I bought a prom dress at 85% off because of the ink stain on it. The saleslady told me how to get it out all those many years ago and it is still the best for removing this type of stain.

By Diana from Las Vegas, NV

it didn't work on my pink sweatshirt

March 2, 2014 Flag

How do I remove ball point ink from clothing?

By Nancy

Best Answer

I had ballpoint pen on my good rain jacket and my friend told me to spray some hairspray on the mark and blot with a paper towel and it really worked!

(not sure if I sent this in yesterday or not)

Terri

Best Answer

Hairspray works. So does alcohol on a Qtip or cotton ball. Always test in a seam to be sure the color doesn't run or that it doesn't leave a ring.

September 8, 2016 Flag

I washed and dried a load of laundry and after it dried I discovered that I had left a lipstick and a pen in a pocket. Also, one baby sheet has a blood stain. Is there anything that I can try to remove the stains; they are mostly baby items.

June 22, 2015 Flag

Spray deodorant on the stain, then rub with a cloth. It should come off. If it doesn't come off straight away, but instead only fades after you have rubbed it, then spray more deodorant on the stain. :)

Source: My brother

December 6, 2015 Flag

My sister works on Dubai; I live in the Philippines. Since Christmas is close she bought a new pair of Air Max Tr 365 for me. When I was writing with a marker it ran out of ink, then I got some refill ink. When I was refilling it the refill ink poured in my shoes. I removed some of it, but the back of my shoes that says "MAXAIR" got covered in ink.

So please tell me what to do because they are from my hard working sister and it's brand new, what should I use to remove it? If you don't know the Air Max TR 365 please search for it so you may see the back of it.

If you can find the manufacturers name on the ink bottle you could google to find a phone number and call them. They would best know how to remove the ink from your shoes. If the doesn't work, you might be able to paint over it with fabric paints from a craft store.

July 25, 2005 Flag

My husband left a Bic grip roller black marker in his shirt pocket when I washed and dryed the clothes. Now I has black stains on the clothing. Some of the clothing is white and others are colored. Please help me.

Denise

I washed a load of whites, and when I took them out there were black spots, like something had been splattered all over them. I tried bleach twice and and it didn't work!! How do I get this out of my clothes and what is it?

How do I remove black roller ball ink on white cotton duvet.

January 2, 2011 Flag

I dried an ink pen with a load of clothes. I need to know how to get it out of cotton pants, cargo pants. Thanks for any help.

By Tareasa from Dallas, TX

Hello. This happened to me. A load of dark clothes was washed and dried with a red ink pen. I used hairspray on the clothes and had a cloth to rub the ink out. It works!

I heard that babywipes will get the ink out of clothes. They say use a baby to plot the stain and then lay it over with a bit of pressure let it set for a hour or more and the use a stain remover spray and wash. I havent got to try it yet but I do know that it worked on lock tight from when I worked at trailer factory. Good luck!

September 27, 2009 Flag

How can I remove red ink from a sweater?

By csiatta from Lansing, IL

I always had succes removing ink by using old fashioned hairspray in the can, just spray it to saturate, then blot well, and repeat until gone, or almost gone, then wash.

I spray ink with hairspray. Usually comes out. Judy - also from Lansing

August 4, 2008 Flag

My son had to have his fingerprints taken to enter the police force. He got the ink on his dress white shirt. Any ideas how to get it out?

Thanks,

Fran from Hamden, CT

I always heard that if you sprayed the ink with hair spray before washing, that that would remove ink. I haven't tried it myself, but it is in every article and book that I have ever read on stain removal.

If the shirt is cotton, or at least 80%, you can take an old toothbrush, dip it into bleach (I just pour a little into the lid) and brush the stain out. Wash immediately! If you leave it, it will eat a hole in the fabric but if you wash right away this is as good as those "bleach pens". They just add a thickener and the dispenser works as a brush. Good luck to your son!

June 19, 2011 Flag

How can I remove a gel ink stain from clothing? The suggested method on this site does not work.

By Jim L.

Have you tried hair spray, it works on ink pen in even after months of being on a car seat or floor mat but I am not sure about gel ink. You just buy cheap hairspray in can and spray it on the spot, then blot it with a paper towel. I probably will take a couple of times but it should come out and leaves no residue. Not as expensive at a lot of other things either. Good luck. I have taken out printer ink off my cloth seats in the van with this.

April 23, 2011 Flag

I washed and dried light clothing last night. I found them this a.m. with ink stains all over clothes and inside of dryer from a ballpoint pen left in pocket of pants. I cannot get the ink stains off of clothes or dryer. I tried spraying with Zapit and rewashing, then soaking it with hydrogen peroxide. They are soaking now. I am afraid they are set due to being in dryer.

By Lanie from Lake Jackson, TX

Try soaking it in milk over night. It used to work for me when we had fountain pens.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning StainsAugust 3, 2012
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
🎉
🎄