Question

Share | Account | About
Share>Account>About>

Removing Ink Stains from Clothing

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Removing Ink Stains from Clothing

It can be difficult to remove ink from clothing. This guide is about removing ink stains from clothing.

Solutions: Removing Ink Stains from Clothing

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Hairspray to Remove Ink Stains

Use hairspray to treat any type of ink stain (permanent marker, ink pen, etc.). Throw it in the wash machine and voila! No more stain. I have been doing this for years and it works fantastic. I bought a prom dress at 85% off because of the ink stain on it. The saleslady told me how to get it out all those many years ago and it is still the best for removing this type of stain.

By Diana from Las Vegas, NV

Tip: Removing Old Ink Stains From Clothing

To get ink out of a white shirt or blouse that has already set in the dryer, try this. Place an old towel between the shirt so stain will not go through. Spray hair spray on all the ink spots. Do NOT blot spots. Wash in warm water with laundry detergent. Check again to make sure all stains are out before putting the item in the dryer

By Mythi from WA

Tip: Treating Ink Before Laundering

If you ever get any ink on your clothing, you can remove it by spraying hair spray on it and then gently rubbing it with an old toothbrush. Then just laundry as usual. You have to do this first, before the stain goes through the dryer. Otherwise, the heat will set the stain.

By Lynn from KS

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Removing Ink Stains from Clothing.

Question: Removing Ball Point Ink from Clothing

How do I remove ball point ink from clothing?

By Nancy

Best Answers

By j1010v03/09/2014

Hairspray works. So does alcohol on a Qtip or cotton ball. Always test in a seam to be sure the color doesn't run or that it doesn't leave a ring.

Best Answers

By jellybeans64 [1]03/05/2014

I had ballpoint pen on my good rain jacket and my friend told me to spray some hairspray on the mark and blot with a paper towel and it really worked!
(not sure if I sent this in yesterday or not)
Terri

Question: Removing Gel Ink Stains From Clothing

How can I remove a gel ink stain from clothing? The suggested method on this site does not work.

By Jim L.

Most Recent Answer

By gbk06/20/2011

Have you tried hair spray, it works on ink pen in even after months of being on a car seat or floor mat but I am not sure about gel ink. You just buy cheap hairspray in can and spray it on the spot, then blot it with a paper towel. I probably will take a couple of times but it should come out and leaves no residue. Not as expensive at a lot of other things either. Good luck. I have taken out printer ink off my cloth seats in the van with this.

Question: Removing Ink From Clothing

I washed and dried light clothing last night. I found them this a.m. with ink stains all over clothes and inside of dryer from a ballpoint pen left in pocket of pants. I cannot get the ink stains off of clothes or dryer. I tried spraying with Zapit and rewashing, then soaking it with hydrogen peroxide. They are soaking now. I am afraid they are set due to being in dryer.

By Lanie from Lake Jackson, TX

Most Recent Answer

By Jane04/25/2011

Try soaking it in milk over night. It used to work for me when we had fountain pens.

Question: Ink Stain on Laundered Clothing

When I was doing laundry I discovered that my husband left an ink pen in his pocket. I have a knit top that I tried using Spray and Wash, Shout, and Oxiclean on and have washed 4 times, but nothing has worked. Is there anything that might work after all of this?

By Mary Beth from OH

Most Recent Answer

By scrapizzio06/06/2013

Saved! A twice laundered dark tan uniform shirt with large blue pen ink stain. I tried oxyclean, WD-40, stain stick, dish soap, hair spray, nail polish remover, and Goo Gone. Nothing touched it. Shirt can't be used with stain, so last ditch effort I dipped a Q-tip in bleach and dabbed it on the stain.

In seconds, the stain faded to nothing! I quickly slathered it with soap and ran a ton of water over it to remove bleach. Shirt is good as new! I thought bleach would remove all color and leave a white spot but it didn't. Bleach wasn't as scary of an idea as I thought it would be!.

Question: Ink on Clothes that Have Been Dried

I dried an ink pen with a load of clothes. I need to know how to get it out of cotton pants, cargo pants. Thanks for any help.

By Tareasa from Dallas, TX

Most Recent Answer

By mkay563702/02/2012

I heard that babywipes will get the ink out of clothes. They say use a baby to plot the stain and then lay it over with a bit of pressure let it set for a hour or more and the use a stain remover spray and wash. I havent got to try it yet but I do know that it worked on lock tight from when I worked at trailer factory. Good luck!

Question: Removing Gel Ink from Clothing

How do you get gel ink out of clothing?

By Marilyn from Hamlet, IN

Question: Ink Stain on a Sweater

How can I remove red ink from a sweater?

By csiatta from Lansing, IL

Most Recent Answer

By Judy A10/02/2009

I spray ink with hairspray. Usually comes out. Judy - also from Lansing

Question: Cleaning Fingerprint Ink Off Clothing

My son had to have his fingerprints taken to enter the police force. He got the ink on his dress white shirt. Any ideas how to get it out?

Thanks,

Fran from Hamden, CT

Most Recent Answer

By Ashley (Guest Post)08/05/2008

If the shirt is cotton, or at least 80%, you can take an old toothbrush, dip it into bleach (I just pour a little into the lid) and brush the stain out. Wash immediately! If you leave it, it will eat a hole in the fabric but if you wash right away this is as good as those "bleach pens". They just add a thickener and the dispenser works as a brush. Good luck to your son!

Question: Pen Left In Wash

My husband left a Bic grip roller black marker in his shirt pocket when I washed and dryed the clothes. Now I has black stains on the clothing. Some of the clothing is white and others are colored. Please help me.

Denise

Most Recent Answer

By Pat (Guest Post)12/03/2006

How do I remove black roller ball ink on white cotton duvet.