Removing Ink Stains from Clothing

Category Stains
Removing Ink Stains from Clothing
It can be difficult to remove ink from clothing. This guide is about removing ink stains from clothing.

Use hairspray to treat any type of ink stain (permanent marker, ink pen, etc.). Throw it in the wash machine and voila! No more stain. I have been doing this for years and it works fantastic. I bought a prom dress at 85% off because of the ink stain on it. The saleslady told me how to get it out all those many years ago and it is still the best for removing this type of stain.

By Diana from Las Vegas, NV

Spray deodorant on the stain, then rub with a cloth. It should come off. If it doesn't come off straight away, but instead only fades after you have rubbed it, then spray more deodorant on the stain. :)

Source: My brother

This is a guide about cleaning ink stains on laundered clothing. Stains can be more difficult to remove once the clothing has been through the wash.

A ink pen that has stained the pocket of a white dress shirt.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

To get ink out of a white shirt or blouse that has already set in the dryer, try this. Place an old towel between the shirt so stain will not go through. Spray hair spray on all the ink spots. Do NOT blot spots. Wash in warm water with laundry detergent. Check again to make sure all stains are out before putting the item in the dryer

By Mythi from WA

Removing stains from clothing that has been through the dryer can be much more difficult than if caught when they are fresh. This is a guide about ink on clothes that have been dried.

Blue ink stain on a white dress shirt.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

It is horrifying to open the washer, or even worse the dryer, to discover the pen in the load of wash and the ink stains on all of your laundry. This is a guide about cleaning ink out of a load of laundry.

A woman holding a basket full of laundry.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

If you have children or grandkids, this tip will come in very handy for you all. If your little ones have taken a pen or marker and marked on their clothes or your couch, have the thing to take out that nasty stain. It works great, use the Oust air spray and spray on the pen or marker, get it soaked. Then take a cloth and wash the area with a little soap and water until it's all gone and then let dry. Goodbye pen stains.

by Roxie from Deloraine, Manitoba

If you ever get any ink on your clothing, you can remove it by spraying hair spray on it and then gently rubbing it with an old toothbrush.

How do I remove ball point ink from clothing?

By Nancy

Best Answer

I had ballpoint pen on my good rain jacket and my friend told me to spray some hairspray on the mark and blot with a paper towel and it really worked!

(not sure if I sent this in yesterday or not)

Terri

Best Answer

Hairspray works. So does alcohol on a Qtip or cotton ball. Always test in a seam to be sure the color doesn't run or that it doesn't leave a ring.

My husband left a Bic grip roller black marker in his shirt pocket when I washed and dryed the clothes. Now I has black stains on the clothing. Some of the clothing is white and others are colored. Please help me.

Denise

I did the same thing when I was waiting tables in college .. isopropyl alcohol and dawn worked on most of the stains. I used to pretreat any stains and washed the shirts with just hot water by hand and kept repeating until the stains were faded or gone .. Good Luck!

Rebekah

PS .. the alcohol also removed the stains from inside the drier as well!

I use hairspray to get ink stains off clothing. For really stubborn stains Tide has something out called Buzz Off which gets stains to disappear. Also, there are in the supermarket laundry aisle small yellow containers (about 5" tall x 1-1/2 to 2" wide with one side slanted) of Carbona Stain Devils. There are several formulas in different numbered plastic containers with each telling which specific stains they are to be used on. I used these successfully until I got my Tide Buzz Off at Ocean State Job Lot for $10.00 (they used to go for $40.00) The stain devils never failed to get a stain out for me. The Buzz Off even gets a lot of old stains out. Good luck. Joan in CT

WD -40 WORKS GREAT. spray on rub in real good , let set for 10 min. throw in wash. gets lpstick, fingernail polish, grease and all other tough stains out.

I washed a load of whites, and when I took them out there were black spots, like something had been splattered all over them. I tried bleach twice and and it didn't work!! How do I get this out of my clothes and what is it?

How do I remove black roller ball ink on white cotton duvet.

sounds like soap residue from your washing machine. I had this with my hard water. You need to use vinegar rinses for your clothing. But first clean your washing machine by pouring a jug of vinegar in the wash cycle (with no laundry) and hot water cycle. Then pre-treat the stains on the spattered laundry with vinegar and wash again. Good Luck!

How can I remove red ink from a sweater?

By csiatta from Lansing, IL

I always had succes removing ink by using old fashioned hairspray in the can, just spray it to saturate, then blot well, and repeat until gone, or almost gone, then wash.

I spray ink with hairspray. Usually comes out. Judy - also from Lansing

My son had to have his fingerprints taken to enter the police force. He got the ink on his dress white shirt. Any ideas how to get it out?

Thanks,

Fran from Hamden, CT

Anonymous

I always heard that if you sprayed the ink with hair spray before washing, that that would remove ink. I haven't tried it myself, but it is in every article and book that I have ever read on stain removal.

If the shirt is cotton, or at least 80%, you can take an old toothbrush, dip it into bleach (I just pour a little into the lid) and brush the stain out. Wash immediately! If you leave it, it will eat a hole in the fabric but if you wash right away this is as good as those "bleach pens". They just add a thickener and the dispenser works as a brush. Good luck to your son!

How do I get ink stains out of clothes after drying?

How to get ink from already dryed kakies

How can I remove a gel ink stain from clothing? The suggested method on this site does not work.

By Jim L.

Have you tried hair spray, it works on ink pen in even after months of being on a car seat or floor mat but I am not sure about gel ink. You just buy cheap hairspray in can and spray it on the spot, then blot it with a paper towel. I probably will take a couple of times but it should come out and leaves no residue. Not as expensive at a lot of other things either. Good luck. I have taken out printer ink off my cloth seats in the van with this.

I washed and dried light clothing last night. I found them this a.m. with ink stains all over clothes and inside of dryer from a ballpoint pen left in pocket of pants. I cannot get the ink stains off of clothes or dryer. I tried spraying with Zapit and rewashing, then soaking it with hydrogen peroxide. They are soaking now. I am afraid they are set due to being in dryer.

By Lanie from Lake Jackson, TX

Try soaking it in milk over night. It used to work for me when we had fountain pens.

I have a pair a blue jeans and a white sock that have stamp ink in them. I was wondering what I can use to get them out of my daughter's good clothes? I have tried hairspray and that has not worked.

http://www.doit  try/ballpointink

This should also work for stamp ink on clothing!

Today blue ink fell upon my mom's doll's red dress. I wanna clean it. Please tell me how I can clean it? I need a very simple and domestic method for removal of ink?

I recently got newspaper ink on the sleeves of a new shirt. What is the best way to remove the stain?

I bought a storage unit that had 15 really nice new gowns, but they all are stamped on the back with the brand name along with a small hole. The gowns are silk, chiffon, and taffeta. Is there anything that can take the ink stamp off or should I try bringing it to a cleaners.

By Christina

I am refurbishing a white cotton nightgown for a gift. I had used some transfers that are at least 25-30 years old on the front placket. I didn't embroidery all of them and I need to remove the ones that are still showing.

By Mary R

I got pen ink on my cargo pants and I don't know how to get it off. What should I do?

By Timear

I left a Pilot pen in my pocket and it got all over khaki pants, cotton shirts, as well as athletic shirts with 50-80% synthetic material. How do I get it out?

By Brad O.

How do you get gel ink out of clothing?

By Marilyn from Hamlet, IN

How do I get ink out of my clothes after they have been through the dryer?

By Angelia from MS

Answers:

Ink on Clothes that Have Been Dried

Once it has been dried in it is pretty tough, but try spraying with hairspray and rinsing with cold water.
Good luck. :) (08/18/2010)

By CraftCycler

Ink on Clothes that Have Been Dried

Pour some rubbing alcohol on to the stain and rub. Repeat if necessary. This always works, even with Sharpie. If you get a stain "ghost", prewash with Fels-Naphta soap, my favorite pre-treater, it works wonders on deodorant stains, too. Just follow directions on the package. Soaking overnight in OxiClean (about 3 scoops per soak in about 1/3 of bucket of warm water) is very good, too. (08/18/2010)

By dilly

Ink on Clothes that Have Been Dried

That will be hard. Fingernail polish with acetone in it, this may get it out. You can dye the material if you don't want to get rid of it. (08/21/2010)

By sickandsexy

Ink on Clothes that Have Been Dried

I ran a load of clothing with a Foray roller liquid pen. It broke apart in the wash splattered ink all over my sports shirts and clothing.

I did not see it until after I removed them from the dryer. I took a can of large can of hair spray that I got at CVS and sprayed all the ink spots really good. Then I placed it in the wash with liquid detergent and guess what, they all disappeared. I mean every spot was gone. Try it! (08/22/2010)

By lancer2010