Removing Ink Stains from Clothing

It can be difficult to remove ink from clothing. This guide is about removing ink stains from clothing.

Filter Sort

Question: Removing Ink from Shoes

By Ronald 1

My sister works on Dubai; I live in the Philippines. Since Christmas is close she bought a new pair of Air Max Tr 365 for me. When I was writing with a marker it ran out of ink, then I got some refill ink. When I was refilling it the refill ink poured in my shoes. I removed some of it, but the back of my shoes that says "MAXAIR" got covered in ink.

So please tell me what to do because they are from my hard working sister and it's brand new, what should I use to remove it? If you don't know the Air Max TR 365 please search for it so you may see the back of it.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,256 Flag

If you can find the manufacturers name on the ink bottle you could google to find a phone number and call them. They would best know how to remove the ink from your shoes. If the doesn't work, you might be able to paint over it with fabric paints from a craft store.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Newspaper Ink Out of Clothes

By deana 1

I recently got newspaper ink on the sleeves of a new shirt. What is the best way to remove the stain?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pen Left In Wash

My husband left a Bic grip roller black marker in his shirt pocket when I washed and dryed the clothes. Now I has black stains on the clothing. Some of the clothing is white and others are colored. Please help me.

Denise

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

How do I remove black roller ball ink on white cotton duvet.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Ball Point Ink from Clothing

By Nancy 1

How do I remove ball point ink from clothing?

By Nancy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By jellybeans64 3 12 Flag

March 5, 2014Best Answer

I had ballpoint pen on my good rain jacket and my friend told me to spray some hairspray on the mark and blot with a paper towel and it really worked!

(not sure if I sent this in yesterday or not)

Terri

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By j1010v 3 Flag

March 9, 2014Best Answer

Hairspray works. So does alcohol on a Qtip or cotton ball. Always test in a seam to be sure the color doesn't run or that it doesn't leave a ring.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Hairspray to Remove Ink Stains

By Diana Atherton 6 13

Use hairspray to treat any type of ink stain (permanent marker, ink pen, etc.). Throw it in the wash machine and voila! No more stain. I have been doing this for years and it works fantastic. I bought a prom dress at 85% off because of the ink stain on it. The saleslady told me how to get it out all those many years ago and it is still the best for removing this type of stain.

By Diana from Las Vegas, NV

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Ink Stain on Laundered Clothing

By Mary Beth 1

When I was doing laundry I discovered that my husband left an ink pen in his pocket. I have a knit top that I tried using Spray and Wash, Shout, and Oxiclean on and have washed 4 times, but nothing has worked. Is there anything that might work after all of this?

By Mary Beth from OH

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By scrapizzio 1 Flag

Saved! A twice laundered dark tan uniform shirt with large blue pen ink stain. I tried oxyclean, WD-40, stain stick, dish soap, hair spray, nail polish remover, and Goo Gone. Nothing touched it. Shirt can't be used with stain, so last ditch effort I dipped a Q-tip in bleach and dabbed it on the stain.

In seconds, the stain faded to nothing! I quickly slathered it with soap and ran a ton of water over it to remove bleach. Shirt is good as new! I thought bleach would remove all color and leave a white spot but it didn't. Bleach wasn't as scary of an idea as I thought it would be!.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Ink on Clothes that Have Been Dried

By Tareasa 1

I dried an ink pen with a load of clothes. I need to know how to get it out of cotton pants, cargo pants. Thanks for any help.

By Tareasa from Dallas, TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By mkay5637 1 Flag

I heard that babywipes will get the ink out of clothes. They say use a baby to plot the stain and then lay it over with a bit of pressure let it set for a hour or more and the use a stain remover spray and wash. I havent got to try it yet but I do know that it worked on lock tight from when I worked at trailer factory. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Ink Stain on a Sweater

By Chris Siatta 1

How can I remove red ink from a sweater?

By csiatta from Lansing, IL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Judy A 3 Flag

I spray ink with hairspray. Usually comes out. Judy - also from Lansing

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning Fingerprint Ink Off Clothing

By Fran 2 2

My son had to have his fingerprints taken to enter the police force. He got the ink on his dress white shirt. Any ideas how to get it out?

Thanks,

Fran from Hamden, CT

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

If the shirt is cotton, or at least 80%, you can take an old toothbrush, dip it into bleach (I just pour a little into the lid) and brush the stain out. Wash immediately! If you leave it, it will eat a hole in the fabric but if you wash right away this is as good as those "bleach pens". They just add a thickener and the dispenser works as a brush. Good luck to your son!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Spray Deodorant for Removing Ink Stains

By marcyyyyyyyyy 1

Spray deodorant on the stain, then rub with a cloth. It should come off. If it doesn't come off straight away, but instead only fades after you have rubbed it, then spray more deodorant on the stain. :)

Source: My brother

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Gel Ink Stains From Clothing

By JimL 1

How can I remove a gel ink stain from clothing? The suggested method on this site does not work.

By Jim L.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By gbk 45 368 Flag

Have you tried hair spray, it works on ink pen in even after months of being on a car seat or floor mat but I am not sure about gel ink. You just buy cheap hairspray in can and spray it on the spot, then blot it with a paper towel. I probably will take a couple of times but it should come out and leaves no residue. Not as expensive at a lot of other things either. Good luck. I have taken out printer ink off my cloth seats in the van with this.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Ink From Clothing

By lanie 1

I washed and dried light clothing last night. I found them this a.m. with ink stains all over clothes and inside of dryer from a ballpoint pen left in pocket of pants. I cannot get the ink stains off of clothes or dryer. I tried spraying with Zapit and rewashing, then soaking it with hydrogen peroxide. They are soaking now. I am afraid they are set due to being in dryer.

By Lanie from Lake Jackson, TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jane 3 4 Flag

Try soaking it in milk over night. It used to work for me when we had fountain pens.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Stamp Ink on Clothing

By Brandi 1

I have a pair a blue jeans and a white sock that have stamp ink in them. I was wondering what I can use to get them out of my daughter's good clothes? I have tried hairspray and that has not worked.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By mcw 80 1,751 Flag

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/ballpointink

This should also work for stamp ink on clothing!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Ink from Evening Clothing

By Christina Martirano R. 1

I bought a storage unit that had 15 really nice new gowns, but they all are stamped on the back with the brand name along with a small hole. The gowns are silk, chiffon, and taffeta. Is there anything that can take the ink stamp off or should I try bringing it to a cleaners.

By Christina

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Old Iron-on Transfer Ink

By Mary Rivers 1

I am refurbishing a white cotton nightgown for a gift. I had used some transfers that are at least 25-30 years old on the front placket. I didn't embroidery all of them and I need to remove the ones that are still showing.

By Mary R

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Pen Ink from Clothes

I got pen ink on my cargo pants and I don't know how to get it off. What should I do?

By Timear

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pilot Pen Ink Transferred to Clothes

ink stains on clothesI left a Pilot pen in my pocket and it got all over khaki pants, cotton shirts, as well as athletic shirts with 50-80% synthetic material. How do I get it out?

By Brad O.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Gel Ink from Clothing

By Marilyn Roysdon 1

How do you get gel ink out of clothing?

By Marilyn from Hamlet, IN

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Removing Old Ink Stains From Clothing

By Sherry 72 83

To get ink out of a white shirt or blouse that has already set in the dryer, try this. Place an old towel between the shirt so stain will not go through. Spray hair spray on all the ink spots. Do NOT blot spots. Wash in warm water with laundry detergent. Check again to make sure all stains are out before putting the item in the dryer

By Mythi from WA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Treating Ink Before Laundering

By Lynn 1

If you ever get any ink on your clothing, you can remove it by spraying hair spray on it and then gently rubbing it with an old toothbrush. Then just laundry as usual. You have to do this first, before the stain goes through the dryer. Otherwise, the heat will set the stain.

By Lynn from KS

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Removing Ink Stains from Clothing
        Home and Garden Cleaning StainsAugust 3, 2012
        ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
        A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
        Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
        A newspaper on a wood table.
        Removing Newspaper Ink from Wood Furniture
        An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
        Removing Ink from Leather
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 8:03:24 AM on 10.0.0.103 in 898 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
        NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
        Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
        BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
        CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings