Removing Mold and Mildew From an Upholstered Couch

Stored furniture can develop mold or mildew on the upholstery. This is a guide about removing mold or mildew from an upholstered couch.

Upholstered Couch
Filter Sort

Question: Mold or Mildew on Fabric Couch

My husband and I owned a house trailer, but just sold it to our son. We turned the heat off and it's been closed up all this winter, now the couches have either mold or mildew on them. They feel very damp or wet, it's been very cold. I thought mildew only grew in warm temps. What can I do to clean the furniture, because our son plans on keeping it. Help please.

By Pam M.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By misty dempsey 1 3 Flag

Get a personal steam cleaner (dirt devil) its takes some work but it will get it done.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Mold from Upholstered Couch

What is the recommended way to remove mold from couch fabric?

By AJ

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn Fed 394 1,240 Flag

I found this link, it involves rubbing alcohol, and make sure and use a mask and gloves...

http://www.ehow.com/how_6386978_remove-mold-couch.html

Also when it is dry, I would always spray it with a mixture of tea tree oil and water, about a cap full of tea tree oil in a little sprayer. You can find tea tree oil at the pharmacy.

Blessings, Robyn

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Mildew on Couch

By amanda 1

How do you get mold off of the couch that has been sitting up for about one year?

By Amanda from Montgomery, AL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By kathleen williams 76 1,661 Flag

How to clean mold. get a can of old fashioned Lysol. Put on rubber gloves, spray the entire can of Lysol onto the sofa and rub it in thoroughly with gloved hands. It works, good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Black Mold All Over a White Sectional

Brownish spots on upholstery.We had a white sectional cleaned by Sears about 2yrs ago. It's in a room that we don't really use so we didn't notice what was happening until a few weeks ago. I think the couch was very wet after they cleaned it, but they never told us what to do. The couch has what looks like black mold in spots all over it. It's worse on the parts that are not exposed. Can we get rid of the mold or do we need to get rid of the couch? And is it toxic? Please help.

By Pat

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Mildew on Couch

Last time I moved, the movers couldn't get my couch through the doorway, so I stored it in my parents' garage. Two years later, I'm getting ready to move again, and my Dad brings the couch over so the movers can pick it up.

The only problem is, apparently water was leaking under the tarp that was covering the couch, and now one arm/side of the couch is very much covered in mildew.

What do I use to clean the couch and how do I make sure I get all the mold out?

Stephanie

Feedback:

RE: Mildew on Couch

I had a similar problem last week. We keep furniture in the basement for the kids when they have friends over. I have a Benchcraft, dry clean only, red sofa in the basement. We have had a ton of rain this summer and the basement just stayed too damp, even with a dehumidifier. Anyway, I noticed "whitish" moldy spots all over the sofa.

I plan on having this sofa recovered in a year or so. I figured I would try to remove the mold and if I ruined the fabric in the process, then "oh well". Everyone has these great big ideas on how to clean mold. I bought a can of old fashioned Lysol. I put on rubber gloves, sprayed the entire can of Lysol onto the sofa and rubbed it in thoroughly with my gloved hand.

It worked. My sofa looks great, no spots, no stains and this is a sofa that if I use plain water on it to try to clean something it makes spots.

Try Lysol, spray it thoroughly and rub it in. If there are still stains after that then I would spray it with an enzymatic pet stain remover and steam clean it. Good luck. (09/13/2008)

By Beth

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureFebruary 12, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Upholstered arm chair.
Cleaning Upholstered Furniture
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Photo of a tent set up in the woods.
Removing Mildew from a Tent
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 11:11:55 AM on 10.0.1.188 in 952 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings