Removing Mothball Odor from Photos

My mom gave me a box full of family photographs. Unfortunately they were stored in mothballs and in spite of airing them for weeks the smell is still strong. I'm worried that the smell has sunk permanently into the paper. Are there any tricks for getting this awful smell out? Some of the photos are quite old and I don't want to risk damaging them any more. Thanks for your help.

By Tapestry Lady

I don't know if this would work with your pictures but once someone gave me a little book of photos that reeked of cigarette smoke. I put it in a big zip-loc bag with a lot of baking soda and left it for about a week. No more smoke odor.

I've also read that putting a few charcoal briquettes in will do the same.

Try putting in some crumpled newspaper and close the box. Might have to change the paper a few times but it will absorb the odors.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJune 22, 2011
Cedar Chest
Removing Mothball Odor From a Cedar Chest
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Mothballs
Removing Mothball Odor from Washing Machine
Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing
Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing
🎄
🍂