Removing Paint From a Door or Window Screen

Drips and overspray from painting can result in paint on the window screens. This is a guide about removing paint from a window screen.

March 25, 2013 Flag

I have a "security screen door" that has been painted a couple of times over the last 10 years. I want to paint it again, but would like to remove the existing paint first. I've been successful in removing the paint from the door frame, but have tried everything on the screen area without any success. Help!

By Tony G.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Take it to your local hardware store or lumber place and have them put new screen in. They have kits to do it yourself, if you want. Not that big of a deal. Used to be how we did it back in the 60s, 70s. Redid screen doors and window screens.

March 16, 2013 Flag

The landlord did a terrible job painting the bathroom. When painting inside the window, the brush scraped along the sides of window screen and dried. What's the best way to remove it? I tried warm water, but that didn't work. Now it's been there a month!

By Gayle T.

I would try isopropyl alcohol on a rag first. Is it on the screen itself or on the border of it? Next you could try acetone, but if it's the border of the screen, and that is painted, using strong solvents may damage the paint underneath.

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceMarch 22, 2013
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
A person cleaning a flat screen monitor with a cloth.
Cleaning a Flat Screen Monitor
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen