Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl

Permanent marker can be difficult, but not impossible to remove from many surfaces. This is a guide about removing permanent marker from vinyl.

I was able to remove Sharpie permanent marker from faux leather using WD-40. It came off super easy and didn't damage the finish. Good luck.

Anonymous

Excellent suggestion my 2 yr old just finished her art work on an antique piece of furniture (wooden) with a gold permanent marker and the WD 40 worked like magic. No stains and was removed effortlessly. Thank you for that suggestion.

How can I clean permanent marker off vinyl siding on a mobile home?

Vee from Carencro, LA

Best Answer

You can try getting a little bottle of enamel thinner made by "Testors". I used to by it at a hobby store. It comes in little 1/4 ounce glass bottles. During the Xmas holiday I work at the mall personalizing ornaments and we use permanent marker on resin ornaments and the "only" thing that would remove the permanent maker is the enamel thinner..."not" alcohol.. and "not" nail polish remover. The thinner should work :)

Kim

Best Answer

Isopropyl alcohol should do it. Always works for me.

Best Answer

Hi, I tried several suggestions posted here to remove permanent marker from my vinyl siding (put on courtesy of neighborhood hoodlums). The Isopropyl alcohol did nothing at all. Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser helped but would take a long time and a lot of effort. Nail polish remover took it right off - easy - no work required. I recommend nail polish remover.

Best Answer

Stop stop STOP. Using alcohol and abrasives are the absolute WORST way to remove permanent marker from vinyl. This bad advice needs to be stamped out all over the internet.

A far superior way: 1. Get a dry-erase marker and write over the permanent marker. 2: Get a damp cloth. 3: Wipe it away. 4: Repeat as needed.

Tried paint thinner and it's didn't budge

I have permanent marker on my tan, vinyl couch. I have tried everything under the sun to remove this artwork.I have tried Oops, goofoff, WD-40, magic eraser, 409, Soft Scrub, OxyClean, Lava Soap and rubbing alcohol.

Any more ideas? Help.

Thanks,
Julie

Hi..I read in a women's magazine that BUTTER will get ink and marker off of vinyl and plastic..it says to apply it generously and let it sit for about 45 minutes. The fats in the butter displaces the ink and absorbs it. I tried this trick on my daughters Barbie doll face...after trying everything else to no avail and ...it worked like a charm.

Good Luck

Comet on a scrub sponge

You could also try the magic eraser.

I just used the most awesome stuff to take permanent marker off a vinyl folding chair! It's called Goof Off - the Ultimate Remover and is available at Home Depot, Lowe's and most paint stores for about 5.00 a can. It took the marker off without any scrubbing or damage to the chair - good as new!

Be careful. I tried the coppertone sport sunblock spray as many recommended to remove sharpie marker from my leather car seats. It removed some of the marker but also took off some of the finish on my leather so now I have sharpie marker plus a dull spot. Do not rub too much as I was being gentle and it still took the finish off of my seats. I will have too look for a leather repair person and see if this can be fixed.

How do I remove Sharpie markers from vinyl siding?

By Jenniffer

Anonymous

REPAINT

A little girl wrote all over my inflatable vinyl bounce house with a black permanent marker and I cannot get it off. I have tried many products, but nothing helps at all. What can I do?

By Rex

Use straight rubbing alcohol.

I have permanent marker on a vinyl billfold, can you help?

By Grace from Greenville, S.C.

Rubbing alcohol is great for removing permanent marker from items. Would do a patch test to make sure it wont damage the billfold.

What works awesome on naughty markers LOL is Brake Klean from the auto parts store. :)

I am trying to remove black Magic Marker ink from rust colored vinyl. Do you have any suggestions? Please help.

By Sylvia

VISINE

How do I remove permanent marker from the plastic slip cover on a binder?

By shabba2795 from AL

Most of the time permanent marker can't be removed from things; that is why it is called permanent. However, on some surfaces, you can clean it off with an abrasive cleanser or maybe magic eraser. You might also try something like WD40 or alcohol.