Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture

Category Furniture
Permanent marker can really ruin the look of your wood furniture. While permanent marker is generally permanent you want to be careful to not further damage your furniture when trying to remove it. This is a guide about removing permanent marker from wood furniture.

Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this guide, click to share your own tip!

When my new coffee table arrived, it had these permanent marker lines (they could have been there for months, who knew where or when it was manufactured). I was afraid to try alcohol, so before buying the Mr. Clean sponges, I tried a regular white rubber eraser. You can see the results, just a very, very teeny remnant of the lines remain (all the black is gone), but you can only see them if you're looking at the correct angle. I polished it all up with Liquid Gold and it's beautiful.

Before:

After:

Thanks for the suggestion!

Top Comment

My 6 year old cousin thought it would be fun to right all over my entertainment system. After reading this, I handed her the eraser and made her take all of it off. I am so glad this worked! It was a lifesaver and lesson all in one! Thanks!

My son recently drew his Nan a lovely picture in permanent marker on her lovely new wooden dressing table. I went to the nearest Coles and bought a Chux Magic Eraser. It was all off in about five minute, good as new. Thanks Chux, they really are magic!

By jofish from Armadale, WA

I already tried furniture polish to remove on Sharpie marker on my finished wood table. Will that have put a "coating" over the marker, or will nail polish remover still work and if not, what will?

By Cheryl I.

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

I was able to get black magic marker off a inside wood log with Goof Off, you can buy it at Lowes.

Best Answer

Antibacterial soap works great and gets Sharpie off without removing the finish!

How do I clean black Sharpie marker off wooden furniture?

By Sherry from Phoenix, AZ

Best Answer

I used hand sanitizer to get the Sharpie art work off of my coffee table. My grand drew me a pic. It worked like a charm. Good luck.

Best Answer

My gosh I have a polished wooden Japanese antique and my daughter's sharpie was on a baggie placed on the wood. Overnight the ink adhered itself to the wood. I thought it was gone forever, and almost fainted with grief (I really like Japan). I quickly came online to see what would take off Sharpie pen from wood, and saw this. I tried white toothpaste, and lo and behold, it worked! It worked! Thank you thank you thank you!

I drew a heart on my hand with red permanent marker. Then when I sat down on my chair I (not knowingly) put my hand down on the white chair. I went to go to the bathroom and came back to see it on the chair, I'm so panicky. The chairs are new and my parents will kill me! Please help. And please answer ASAP! I tried Expo over it, but it only made things worse.

By Chrysanthemum J

Use finger nail poish remover! It works on Sharpie and gets it out or off of anything without leaving any stain or residue.

Anonymous

Nail Polish remover makes it spread

I have a dark wood table from Costco and was using a perm marker. (I won't blame my son, because it really was my fault.) You can't see it but can see the imprint of what was written. I used the Magic Eraser, any more advice? Plus to shine it back up since it is getting dull. Thanks for your help. Yes, my husband is ready to divorce me and this is the cherry on top.

By Beth from Kalaheo, HI

Help! My daughter got black permanent ink on my kitchen table. It is medium oak color. Any ideas?

My 4yr old decorated our wooden stools with black Texta. I tried toothpaste - it didn't work, hand sanitiser - didn't work, hair spray - didn't work (this is great though for Biro on velour), then Gumption. This is a paste you can buy in the cleaning section of the supermarket. It was great. Bit of rubbing required with a damp cloth and all gone.

I have the same problem with my wooden kitchen table. Permanent black Sharpie marker roll over from my son. I tried the toothpaste remedy and it didn't do a thing. I tried a little alcohol and it did come off immediately but also took off the Finish. Did you find a remedy that worked and if so can you please email me. Thanks

I have an oak lamp table that is stained, but not varnished. The top has sort of a butcher block affect. My granddaughter drew all over it with a black Sharpie marker. I tried fingernail polish remover, alcohol, and toothpaste. And all that did was lighten it in some spots. I tried sanding it thinking that would take it out and then I can restain it. But that didn't work either. I have it on the wall too. The wall has flat paint.

By VivianD.

marker on table

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about removing permanent marker from a painted table. Removing permanent marker on painted furniture can be tricky. You don't want to damage the finish in the process.

Wood Table

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Trying to remove permanent marker from furniture should be undertaken with care. There are products that will remove the marker but damage the finish. This is a guide about removing permanent marker on a wood table.

My daughter got black permanent ink on my kitchen table. It is medium oak color. Any ideas?

Answers:

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

I know toothpaste gets ink out of fabric. Maybe try it with your table.

Good Luck! (06/06/2004)

By Lee-Ann

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

I've heard that rubbing alcohol gets permanent marker off. I'd test it on an inconspicuous spot of the table first. (06/06/2004)

By Rennie

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

Two products which should be available in stores like Wal-Mart are OOPS and GOO Gone. (06/07/2004)

By Linda

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

Thanks for the tip. I used toothpaste to remove black marker off my dining room table and it really works! (06/22/2004)

By Deborah

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

Alcohol did the trick. Two months ago I refinished our dining room table with Minwax Polyurethane. My daughter got Sharpie permanent marker on it right in the middle of the table.

Formula 409 did nothing, toothpaste did nothing, but rubbing alcohol took it off with minimal effort and did not damage the finish. (09/15/2004)

By Paul Barry

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

Toothpaste just got Sharpie off my kitchen table. Wow! (12/30/2004)

By Jaye

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

I just tried the toothpaste and the rubbing alcohol after my daughter got black permanent marker all over an expensive desk and my computer screen. The toothpaste works, but takes some effort and did damage the surface. The rubbing alcohol worked amazingly better. It took no effort and didn't scratch the surface. (01/09/2005)

By Angela

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

Just used toothpaste to remove permanent marker from my Teak dining room table and it worked a treat. (02/06/2005)

By Andy

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

I used Windex to get it off my monitor screen. I had to rub real hard but it came off. (08/11/2005)

By Rob

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

If you have permanent marker (like a Sharpie) marks all over something, you can easily remove it if it is a smooth surface, like appliances, glass, tables, etc, by using a dry erase marker. Take your dry erase marker and write over it, let it sit a minute, then use a dry erase marker, or better yet, a Mr. Clean Magic eraser and erase it. The chemicals in the dry erase marker breaks down that in the sharpie, so it can easily be erased. I work for a Public School, and we are all the time having this same issue happen. Hope this helps! (08/20/2005)

By jenjoejace

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

Didn't know how to execute the toothpaste advise, but the alcohol worked great with a bit of elbow grease. Thanks! (10/27/2005)

By Big muffin

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

My 2 yr. old son just "drawed" on our brand new wooden table with a blue Sharpie permanent marker. I tried 409, Dish soap, and baby wipes. Then I found this site. I didn't have baking soda (just moved into our new house) or rubbing alcohol. I tried the toothpaste. It took 6 or 7 times. I put on Aquafresh Whitening Expressions toothpaste and rubbed it in with a soft toothbrush. I let that sit for about 5 minutes each time and then scrubbed with a rough sponge. After about 6 or 7 rounds of this, our table is clean again. There is just the faintest blue left in the deep cracks, but you can only tell if you're looking! Thanks everybody! (06/12/2006)

By Leah

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

Several years ago, when my daughter was one, she got hold of a permanent marker and wrote all over, in big huge swirls, my brand new sofa. I cried hysterically for twenty minutes, then got on the internet. I used rubbing alcohol and that sofa looked brand new in minutes. Same sofa lasted six years and only recently got the boot, only due to too much dog usage.

Today the same daughter used a permanent marker to write on paper and it went through, ruining our wood table. I tried the rubbing alcohol but it didn't seem to do much good. After reading this about "elbow grease", I tried again. Brand new. I also used the alcohol to get some other stains off the table. It worked on two others. Thanks, all. (07/16/2006)

By Annie

Removing Permanent Ink from a computer screen

Thank God for rubbing alcohol. It came right off. (02/18/2007)

By Mary

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

The tip about toothpaste is excellent. Don't worry about needing alcohol. The toothpaste alone took care of our son's handy artwork on our dinning room table. (03/03/2008)

By Turk

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

We couldn't get it to work with just the toothpaste, but the rubbing alcohol and a little elbow grease took the permanent marker right out of my son's headboard. (06/29/2008)

By Cate

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

I was cooking my dinner one night after I got home from work and noticed that there was permanent marker ink on my mom's 100 year old dining room table. I immediately got online and found the website which said use toothpaste and rubbing alcohol. It worked GREAT! The marks are out of the table. Thank Goodness! Thank you so much for this great tip! (07/10/2008)

By Hayley

Removing Permanent Ink from a Table

You're great, toothpaste really works! You saved my table, thanks! (12/13/2008)

By chris

How do you get permanent marker out of wood furniture?

Sally from St. Louis, MO

Answers:

The Off really works great. I actually used Deep Woods Off since we live in MN and it came off after 5 minutes of scrubbing. Use a generous amount to take off the marker faster. I had permanent marker on a naturally finished oak coffee table. (10/14/2006)

By jim

OFF gets it off! We just moved back into our house after having the hardwood floors redone and 2 of our sons drew on the floor with sharpie. I ran around the neighborhood looking for OFF. It lifted most of the stain right away and got almost all of it off. There are a few faint marks left, but it will be covered with carpet. (10/16/2006)

By Theresa

I couldn't believe it but OFF really took it off! I used a marker to write a sign and the ink soaked through the paper on our oak desk top. I thought the writing would be there forever. Thank goodness I looked this up on the web! (10/21/2006)

By D. Brady

Thank you so much for whoever posted the info. about removing permanent marker with the magic eraser. My daughter got hold of a permanent marker and drew a picture that bled through to our coffee table. I just so happened to have a magic eraser under my sink and it worked!! Thanks again. (10/22/2006)

By Felicia

Anonymous

Tried the toothpaste three times on a small part of the table but it just faded. Tried an ordinary rubber on the untreated parts and it was gone in seconds!

I need to know how to get Sharpie marker off of a wooden table.

How do I remove red permanent marker from my all wood table? Sorry I have no image!

I removed a large amount of permanent marker from my new wooden furniture with Aquafresh Extreme Clean toothpaste and a baby wipe.

My kids had a red permanent marker and they both colored on my great grandma's chair and also on my oak wood coffee table.

I have a dresser that my son drew on with a green marker. I do believe that it's permanent. I have tried toothpaste and nail polish remover.

How do you get permanent marker out of wood furniture? How do I get green sharpie pen off a new cherry wood desk?

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.