Removing Rug Backing Stuck to a Floor

Category Floors
Rug on a kitchen floor.
Moisture and heat can cause a rubber backed rug to stick to a floor. This guide is about removing rug backing stuck to a floor.

I used to have a rug on my kitchen floor. When I moved it, it left some of the backing, like glue on the linoleum. Any suggestions on how to get it off?

bubblesfouru2

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Try spraying it thoroughly with WD40, let set 10 - 15 minutes, and scrape with a plastic scraper, spatula, or edge of a credit card so you don't scratch the floor. This worked for me on a vinyl tile floor. Maybe it will work for you.

Try acetone-type nail polish remover.

Any suggestions how to remove the rubber mat that I used under a area rug which is on a painted concrete floor?

Saturate it with water then use a plastic scraper to peel off the rubber. If any is left over, use Goo Gone to remove it.

Use ice to freeze it and scrape off with a putty knife.

Scrape if off with a putty knife. Sometimes you can soften it with a blow dryer.

Like mentioned above, heating it up a bit with a blow dryer sounds seems like the right thing to try. Then use a plastic scraper or putty knife. Normally, I would recommend a razor blade scraper but those also great for removing paint!

I used baby oil, let it sit for 15 min, worked like a charm.

How do I get carpet rubber backing off of a cement floor?

By Claudio

My father-in-law used an ice chopper (like you use on sidewalks) to scrape his off. It seemed to work pretty well but I think he could have used one with a wider blade.

It depends on the glue that was used. I have had luck using a blow-dryer and/or a heat gun to warm up the glue-backing that was on the back of carpet tile (this also works for removing linoleum & vinyl flooring tiles). Open a window & use care! You don't want to set a fire or breathe the fumes from the hot carpeting. Just warm it up a tiny bit, don't get the carpeting very hot! You can use a paint scraper as a tool, & hold it with an oven mitt.

Long ago, I had a friend in the 1970's that tried to remove the glue that they used to glue her indoor-outdoor carpeting to the floor with. She never did get it off & instead she had new carpeting laid over the glue.

We used a tile scraper. It is a tool much like a hoe only with a flat blade.

My husband inadvertently discovered that getting it really wet loosened the glue. Then he used a scraper to work it off by hand. It was the water did the trick - the wetter, the better. (Though I'd try a section of your floor first. I'd imagine that it'd depend on your glue.)

I used a rubber bathmat under the laundry sink. It worked well until I tried to pick it up. The rubber has perished and is now stuck to the floor! HELP! How do I get perished rubber off a vinyl floor? It's bad!

Kathryn from Wellington, New Zealand

Try spraying floor with WD-40 and let sit a few minutes then scrap up.

The same thing happened to me on my kitchen floor, it was a mess! I just had to take my time with a butter knife and scrape & scrape. This was a 6 foot long rug, I was so teed off, it was like it had melted to the floor! I didn't think of wd-40 at the time, but it may have worked better than the elbow grease I was having to use! I will never buy those rugs like that again! They even stuck to my carpet, go figure! And that was really a mess! At least I learned my lesson on buying those kind of rugs!

Thank you! I also tried the WD40 trick on a wood floor that had a rubber carpet mat stuck to it after 18 years. Goo-gone and TSP had failed; WD 40 enabled me to scrape off the stuck bits after a 10 minute soak. The discoverer of this trick deserves a Nobel prize!

I just used acetone nail polish remover and a credit card it came off very easily... best way to go on lineloium floors anyway.. it was a lot of goo on the floor too..