Removing Set In Stains From Clothing

I shop at consignment stores for my eBay store and I have several things with set in stains on them. I have tried everything from Dawn and Clorox 2 to carpet cleaner. Nothing works. Please help!

Victoria from Greenwood, AR

Answers:

Removing Set In Stains From Clothing

A friend told me to try Goo-Gone. I did on a black grease stain and it worked. The stain was on a red shirt and it came out. I'm sure it would work on a white shirt as well. Good luck! (04/24/2008)

By LAKELL

Removing Set In Stains From Clothing

I frequently buy used clothes from yard sales, and thrift shops. I had purchased a 100% cotton button-down blouse that was white with black and tan small flowers print. The shirt was covered in large yellow stains (probably the reason it was donated to the church thrift store). One sleeve looked as if it was dunked in the offending liquid.

I tried first by using my trusty "Shout" stick and washing in warm water per label instructions, that didn't make any difference in the stains. Next I came here and tried some of the tips suggested above. I mixed dish soap (Dawn) with borax and scrubbed the paste in the stains with a toothbrush. They didn't move. Next I scrubbed the stains with bleach and liquid laundry soap, set them in the washer with boiling water overnight and washed first thing in the am with hot water. That faded them some, but they were still noticeable and not one (even the very small) had disappeared altogether. Finally in frustration, I soaked the shirt in lemon juice, wrung it out and set it out in a very sunny place to hang and dry. The stains are now completely gone! Not a trace anywhere. It's hard to say if the whole lot of treatments finally "wore them out" or if it was the lemon juice and sunshine that would have won the day after all. Thanks for all the help! (06/13/2008)

By Ann

Removing Set In Stains From Clothing

I had bought Simple Green spray as an alternative to 409. I didn't like the way it worked for that, so I put it beside the laundry to try using it as a stain remover.

Boy, did it work! Stains that had been set in clothes for 5-6 years that I thought would never come out (re-washing it several times over had turned it into a "perma-stain" came right out in one wash. I now use it for all my stains! (10/07/2008)

By mpfickling

Removing Set In Stains From Clothing

This is to Lar about stains on a white shirt. Try a dishwasher detergent and water solution. Soak as long as needed. I have the best luck with the powder Cascade, but it does take some stirring to dissolve it. (10/24/2008)

By Toebeanie

Removing Set In Stains From Clothing

For removing tomato stains and red chili, after washing normally, just set in the sun. It fades away surprisingly quickly. (10/28/2008)

By Estrada

Removing Set In Stains From Clothing

I know that for those orange-ish water stains on white clothing. A product called Iron Out works like a charm! (12/10/2008)

By Jessica

Removing Set In Stains From Clothing

Try a bit of dishwashing liquid mixed with warm water. Soak the stain 5-10 minutes and lightly scrub with a toothbrush or between your hands. Rinse thoroughly. Then mix room temperature water with white vinegar 50/50. Soak the stain for 5-10 minutes and rinse thoroughly. Repeat the step above with the dishwashing soap. Rinse thoroughly then launder if necessary. If it's a lighter garment, you can add a tiny bit of regular bleach to the dishwashing soap and water solution.

For carpet stains: Do as above, but add just a bit of regular bleach to the dishwashing liquid steps, but do NOT use regular bleach for darker carpets! Also, do not scrub the stains on your carpet, just soak and blot up the liquids. These steps have taken out set carpet stains, pet urine stains, and even soy sauce out of my beige speckled carpet! (Part of the carpet was quite darker in color and the tiny bit of bleach didn't hurt it, but, again, I wouldn't risk it on darker carpets. (01/29/2009)

By Kathy W.

Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Stains on Clothing
sweat stain on dark clothing
Removing Underarm Sweat Stains from Clothing
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
Baby being fed with formula.
Removing Baby Formula Stains from Clothing
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
🎄