Removing Smoke Odor After a House Fire

Category Odors
A firefighter in the smoke from a house fire.
Smoke damage can be very difficult to remove even from a small house or kitchen fire. This is a guide about removing smoke odors after a house fire.

Launder items using hot water, regular amount of detergent, and 1 cup each of white vinegar and baking soda. Repeat if any smoke smell remains. DO NOT dry until smoke smell is gone. This worked beautifully on my daughter's garments after her apartment complex had a fire. Most loads had to be run twice.

Top Comment

Our home was set on fire by an arsonist about three weeks ago and we lost nearly everything. We decided to try to salvage clothing that was hanging in the closet, and while there was no fire damage to them, there is a heavy stench of smoke. What was recommended to us has worked very well. We were told to mix two cups of Scope mouthwash into each load by the Red Cross. I don't know why, I'm no scientist, and I'm sure each case is different, but the smoke smell is undetectable after one wash and dry cycle. We have been able to salvage the clothing at least. A moral victory for us knowing the arsonist didn't destroy everything we owned. It might work for anyone else on here with this type of question.

Have you tried charcoal to remove the smell from the house and clothing and books? Take the clothing and books and put in a large trash bag. Place the charcoal in there first and then tie the end of the bag shut. Leave for about a week then remove and check for smell.

For the house, place charcoal in tin pans and sit around all over the house for a week. It should remove the smell.

For the smoke stains in clothes, try washing them in Oxiclean. I have never tried this but it came to me. It is suppossed to remove even the toughest stains.

Note: Use charcoal that does not have the starter added, just plain charcoal.

By Cassie

Water and smoke damage can lessen the value of collectibles. This is a guide features advice about cleaning collectibles damaged in a house fire.

A house on fire.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

After a fire, ridding your home of the smoke odor can be a daunting task. Books can easily harbor the lingering smoke smell for a long time. This is a guide about cleaning smoke odor from house fire in books.

Several books on a table.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How do I remove the smoke smell from a mattress and garments that were in a house fire?

By cstaack from Columbus, NE

Answer Was this helpful? 3

Answers

Best Answer

Two ways I know how to get rid of odors from fire.

1. Get a bowl of water and add white vinegar and let stay there without anyone in the room for a few hrs.

2. Put charcoal in the room in dishes, they use it here in Florida to get rid of musty odors.

Best Answer

I had a fire in my home this past year. I contacted a company on the internet BioWorld Products in Visalia, California. They have a odor eliminating product that removed all the smoke odor from my home. It worked absolutely great! I keep it on my shelf and use it for all kinds of odor when the need arises.

Best Answer

You will want to call a smoke and fire contractor. They rebuild after damage. You may not be able to get the smell out since it seeps into your wood, drywall and insulation. My friends just rebuilt after a small fire and they had to hire a professional smoke and fire contractor to remove all the smoke damaged parts of the house. Sorry.

Best Answer

Sometimes professional cleaning services have ozone machines that they use to get rid of smoke damage smells. You might contact your insurance company for a recommendation.

How can I get the smoke smell out of our clothes and the smoke stains off after a small house fire?

By Danielle R.

Best Answer

Don't know if I can help, but two years ago my son had a fire in his house. Everything in the house was ruined from the smoke, but he had a favorite mattress he wouldn't through away. We keep it in our work shop til he could decide what to do with it. Thinking it was completely ruined, and because it was smelling up the shop, I decided to try ammonia (I had read about it somewhere) so I filled a pie pan full and left it on the floor near the mattress till it evaporated, it took a few days but slowly the smoke smell went away. The mattress was able to be used again and there is not a trace of smell left in it.

Best Answer

Vinegar will also take the smoke odor out of clothes and mattress. Use the vinegar in the laundry by adding a cup to the wash cycle, repeat as needed until the smoke smell is gone. Make up a half water-half vinegar solution, dampen a washcloth or hand towel in the solution and wipe down the mattress. Should take the smell out but again, you may have to repeat.

We had a mattress fire and some burn damage to the floor. There is no soot, but a smoke odor is there. The ceilings are textured white. What do I use to deodorize and get rid of the smoke odor permanently? I know I have to clean everything, but am not sure where to look for products or what to ask for. Thanks for any help. We have no insurance, so I am doing this myself! Thanks again.

By Sybil

Anonymous
Best Answer

Even though you don't have insurance you could still call around to your local insurance companies to see what companies they use for fire/smoke cleanup. Then give those companies a call and I am sure they would be happy to give you some suggestions of what is the best thing to do and safest products to use.

Best Answer

Vinegar will really help you get rid of the smoke stench and it is incredibly cheap. Mix it strong at one-to-one to create a washing solution for the floors, walls, light fixtures, switch plates, etc. Don't rinse it off as the vinegar smell will dissipate within a few hours taking the smoke odor with it. You may have to repeat the process once or twice depending on how long the surfaces were exposed to smoke.

You can also dampen a tea towel in full strength vinegar and wave it around the room, and set out shallow bowls of it full strength to deodorize the rooms.

It has been over 4 months since our house fire. There was heavy smoke damage. How do I get the smoke stains/smell out of trophies, tiaras, sashes, etc.?

Soak clothes in peroxide and baking soda over night, then rinse, put outside to dry.

Soak in a bucket, a mixture of peroxide and baking soda overnight. Next day rinse well with a tablespoon of vinegar in a gallon of water, rinse add softerner hang dry outside.

When we had our house fire, the fire restoration people cleaned everything with vinegar and lots of fresh air. It took awhile, somethings had to be cleaned several times and air out for several days in the fresh outside air. They also had to replace all the sheet rock as it held the smell and kept putting the smell back into the air.

I just had a close call at my home from a fire, just a lot of smoke damage. I live in a trailer and I have scrubbed and scrubbed and can't get the smell out. I have a 10 year old little boy that is having problems with his lungs and I really need to get this out as soon as possible, before he gets home. Thanks for your help.

By Donna from IN

Answers:

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

When my sister and her husband had a major fire in their apartment many years ago, they had a hard time removing the smoke smell from clothing, dishes, etc. Another sister who was a flight attendant came over loaded with club soda. We scrubbed everything, dishes, walls, etc. with club soda to remove the smell. It worked, too. (06/16/2010)

By ggmsmolly2

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

We had a similar fire at our house with a lot of smoke smell. A cleaning service came in and cleaned our duct work for the air and heat. They told me that was one of the major causes of smells after a fire and most people don't think of the ductwork. Baking soda can help and so does club soda (although expensive). (06/16/2010)

By ncgardener

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

Try one of the smoke gel containers that you can get almost anywhere. I too had a fire and the gel helped a lot. Also if your fabric has smells use Fabreze to revive it.
Good luck! (06/18/2010)

By maphisx7

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

You will want to call a smoke and fire contractor. They rebuild after damage. You may not be able to get the smell out since it seeps into your wood, drywall, and insulation. My friends just rebuilt after a small fire and they had to hire a professional smoke and fire contractor to remove all the smoke damaged parts of the house. Sorry. (06/18/2010)

By yoder178

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

There are professional supply cleaning stores in almost any city. Ask them for suggestions.
Also, call your insurance agency and get the name of the cleaning people they use to professionally clean homes after a fire. Then maybe they can advise you of a certain product they use.
There are some really good answers below, too.

Good luck! (06/18/2010)

By metroplex

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

Sometimes professional cleaning services have ozone machines that they use to get rid of smoke damage smells. You might contact your insurance company for a recommendation. (06/18/2010)

By tracesof

We had a small fire in our living room - a wooden shelf smoldered for several hours and the room filled with smoke. It now smells dreadful. I have tried vacuuming the carpets, furniture and walls. Opened up windows and doors for several days. But the smell is still strong. Any ideas, please?

Sohail from UK

Answers:

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

I just read on Thriftyfun! To open a small can of fresh coffee and leave it in the closed room for a few days and it should take care of the smell. I never tried this, but really trust thriftyfun. (01/25/2007)

By Margie

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

I would try fresh coffee grounds, and if that doesn't work put a few bowls of baking soda around the house and leave it for quite a while. (01/25/2007)

By dotty

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

Try charcoal briquettes (the Kingsford kind), just put some in a can or bowl and put in the corners of the room. It will absorb the odors. (01/25/2007)

By PICO

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

I have also been told that leaving a bowl of apple cider vinegar in the room(s) affected will remove the smell. May take several days. (01/25/2007)

By jc42

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

Two ways I know how to get rid of odors from fire:

1. Get a bowl of water and add white vinegar and let it stay there without anyone in the room for a few hrs.

(01/26/2007)

By MaryEllen

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

The companies that do restoration after fire and floods and the repairs have special equipment to do this. Smoke odor is very hard to get out and you may need a professional. Homeowners insurance should pay for it, but you probably have a deductible so it may not be worth running through the ins. company. (01/28/2007)

By Linda

Removing Smoke Odors After a Fire

I had a fire in my home this past year. I contacted a company on the internet BioWorld Products in Visalia, California. They have an odor eliminating product that removed all the smoke odor from my home. It worked absolutely great! I keep it on my shelf and use it for all kinds of odor when the need arises. (11/17/2008)

By rem588

Load More