Removing Sticker Residue

Removing Sticker Residue
It is so frustrating trying to remove sticker residue from your purchases or elsewhere around your home. This is a guide about removing sticker residue.

How many of you moms out there have spent entirely too much time trying to remove stickers that have been stuck on every surface in the entire house by your ornery toddler? Hold onto your bonnets, ladies! You ready? Use the steam from your iron to remove any type of sticky sticker off any surface!

Fill your iron chuck full of water and turn the heat and steam on High. Let it get good and hot, then hold your iron upright or over your sticker nightmare and start pressing that steam button as fast as you can. In seconds, the entire sticker can be lifted off with absolutely NO residue left on the surface.

May all of you sticker-removing mommies sleep better tonight knowing that at least one toddler mess can be cleaned up with ease.

By April from Albany, GA

Don't you find it annoying when you buy something and when you try to remove the label it leaves a greasy or a sticky substance on the item? Well if you don't have any goo begone, just smear a gob of peanut butter on it. Take a paper towel and rub, turning the paper towel often as it removes the sticky substance. No more sticky substance on it. It really works. I just did this on a jar, removing what was left of the price tag!

By Dorothy from New Creek, WV

Top Comment

It worked fabulously, thank you.

Don't you just hate it when you get something new made of glass with a sticker on it. You remove the sticker, but it leaves a sticky goo like substance on it. Problem solved! Just put some rubbing alcohol, mineral oil, or nail polish remover on a cotton ball or paper towel and rub it. The residue comes right off. So easy!

You probably won't believe it (I didn't at first), but the best thing I know to remove sticky residue from labels and tags is fly spray! Yep, your everyday, garden variety fly spray. Spray some on a paper towel and rub the sticky area (it takes a little work). If it is particularly stubborn, spray it directly onto the area and leave a few seconds before working on it. You may need to do it a couple of times, but I haven't found one yet that didn't come away. This works on glass, ceramic, china, etc.

By Sue from Palm Beach, Queensland

To remove price stickers, bumper stickers, or glue residue try using Goo Gone. I have found it to be the best, fastest, and will not damage. I even used it on t-shirts and jeans after I removed a stick-on label and it left a glue residue. It works great on plastic and glass. I always keep a bottle on hand. It can be purchased at many hardware, discount, and major stores.

Source: This is my own idea after trying different products and other suggestions.

By Linda from Arlington, Texas

Lemon essential oil removes sticky residues quickly and easily. Put 4 drops of the lemon essential oil onto a cotton ball. Hold the cotton ball onto the sticky residue for a couple seconds then rub in a circular motion until the residue is gone. I have successfully used this method for removing two sided tape from metal and also sticky residue from labels.

You know how you peel off a sticker and it leaves behind the sticky glue? I used Bath and Body Works hand sanitizer and it works great. I put some on and spread it evenly throughout the surface then let it sit for 20-30 minutes.

Soak the jar and, after removing label, add a dab of mayonnaise. Let it set a few minutes, then rub. The glue will come off with no effort.

This is a guide about removing sticker residue on leather. Keep the color and texture of your leather unchanged when cleaning sticker residue.

A leather suitcase with travel stickers.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about removing sticky label residue on clothing. A sticker on new or old clothes can leave a residue that can be a challenge to remove.

A man adhering a sticky name badge label to his dress shirt.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning glue residue from pots and pans. Label glue is often difficult to remove.

Close up of racks of woks for sale.  You can see the sticker reflected from the inside of the pan

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about removing sticky residue from name tag on leather jacket. Name tags, often worn for business functions can leave sticky residue on leather jackets.

Leather Jacket

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning sticky residue from a mirror. Cleaning sticky residue from a mirror can be trying.

Mirror

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning sticker glue from wood furniture. Whether its from a price tag or your child decorating it, sticker glue can be tough to remove from furniture. It is important to find the right method to remove the glue so that you don't damage the wood.

A colorful wooden dresser.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How do I remove the sticky glue from labels placed on containers?

By Curtis from Valley Mills, TX

Fingernail polish remover, any generic brand! Douse a cotton ball (or two or more - whatever it takes) and scrub, scrub, scrub the label and container. Works almost every time on glass and most plastics. Use a tad of "Dawn" dish washing liquid detergent and a scrub pad to clean up any straggler evidence of glue or paper. Good luck. :-)

WD-40

Try De-Solv-It.

I usually run the container under hot water for 4-5 minutes then use a sponge with some dish soap to help work off the rest of the sticky residue. Always works for me.

WD-40, Oops or GooGone

Get a little peanut butter on your finger and rub it into the sticky residue. The oil in it will break up the glue, then you can just wipe it off with a paper towel. Hope this helps. :c)

Donna

If it's a container that will hold food again, I wouldn't use a chemical. I have taken the paper part of labels off then spritzed the remaining gook with cooking spray and let sit overnight. The glue sort of melts.

How about steel wool and hot water?

I use a product called "Goo Gone", you spray it on and wipe it off (sometimes I use a plastic scrubber to help).

Put peanut butter on the label. Wait about an hour and then it will be easy to scrape it off as the peanut butter loostens the glue because of the oil in it. Won't harm the product either. Got this hint on BHG Tv show.

I use a damp Mr. Clean extra strength Magic Eraser and it works like a dream!

I was looking at some pictures i found in my purse last night, and the one with my daughter holding my great nephew (2 months old at the time) has some sticky paper residue on it, possibly from a sticker from my Dd (5 years old). I was wondering if there is a way to remove this without ruining the picture? Thank you for all responses. I would really hate to throw this one out.

jmz2005 from illinois

Answer Was this helpful? 1

There is a product called UN-DU that is acid free & safe for photo's and most any surface. It will remove any stickers including postage stamps. It can be purchased at Walmart or any craft store.

I bought some nice clear plastic insulated mugs at a garage sale with a price sticker on the top where you would put your mouth to drink. I soaked them in warm soapy water and the label surface came right off, but there is a film and fine residue that won't come off. What you do suggest?

I would like to know how to remove glue left on silverware, such as knife/fork from the sales tag.

By Patricia from Buffalo, NY

Use some vegetable oil.

Rubbing alcohol works and a little elbow grease. So does a bit of scouring powder (Ajax, Comet, etc.) rubbed into a small paste in water (choose carefully what you do it to). So do good erasers, also (ink eraser from your office supply section), that is.

Rubbing alcohol works the best! I was a dental assistrant for alot of years and adhesive on dental impression trays came off best with rubbing alcohol. (I tried alot of different adhesive removers.)

Try, Peanut Butter, Baby Oil, Vegetable Oil or Goo Gone. They all work.

Goo-Gone works very well on this. Follow the directions and your problem should be history.

How do I remove the sticky residue left from a sticker on inside of shoe, under my heel? It is leather, so I don't know if I can use Goo Gone. When I walk, one heel sticks and makes noise every time I take a step. Very frustrating!

By Christine K.

How do you remove gummy residue left after removing price tags from satin placemats? Thanks in advance.

Yvonne from El Paso, Texas

Next time use a hair dryer. the heat will keep the glue on the sticker. Sorry, no info for this time around... salad oil works on non-porous items.

There are several things that work well. Test first in a hidden part. White spirit is good to remove sticky residue as is eucalyptus oil but this will also leave an oily spot. One other way is to use another sticker to help lift off the residue.

How can I remove left over label adhesive? I have washed in hot water, gently scrapped, and used rubbing alcohol. What do I do?

By Pat

Is there a homemade remedy for removing sticky residue (eg, cello-tape) from hard surfaces?

By Barbara from Calpe, Spain

Answers:

Removing Sticky Residue

Read the Archives at the bottom of this page. (07/06/2010)

By MCW

Removing Sticky Residue

I just discovered that Caress soap bar will dissolve adhesive.
In fact, last week I used some to remove Scotch tape from a window.
Wet a washcloth, make up a lather on the Caress bar and rub the adhesive spot. It even removed my adhesive medical tabs. No alcohol, nail polish remover, works a charm. Incidentally, I initially bought it because I read on this site that it keeps mosquitoes away. I was disappointed to find out it didn't, but am happy to find another way to use it. I bought the regular pink bar. The bath gel also works too to remove adhesive, but not to get rid of mosquitoes.

Good luck! (07/06/2010)

By metroplex

Removing Sticky Residue

If you happen to have any aerosol hairspray, this works efficiently and quickly. Just spray on and leave a little while, then wipe off. (07/07/2010)

By duckie-do

Removing Sticky Residue

Peanut butter. Leave on about an hour and wipe off. Should work. (07/08/2010)

By packlestax

Removing Sticky Residue

Use a solvent like mineral spirits or lacquer thinner.
Nail polish remover works too. (07/08/2010)

By kemperjl

Removing Sticky Residue

I use baby oil on wood pieces or even olive oil will work; otherwise rubbing alcohol will do a decent job. (07/08/2010)

By yoder178

How do I remove sticker residue?

By onetigger67 from OK

Answers:

Removing Sticker Residue

Use W-D 40 it takes the sticky off of anything. (07/08/2009)

By SusLuvsVintage

Removing Sticker Residue

Rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover. Goo Gone is a good product with a nice orange scent. (07/08/2009)

By OliveOyl

Removing Sticker Residue

When I get a picture frame with a price sticker on the glass I use plain old cooking oil on a paper towel and rub the area of sticky residue. Then when it is off I wash it with soap and water and dry to see if it is all gone for sure. Works on anything that is not going to be marred with oil stain. I have used it on some wood frames that had stickers on the back, lawn furniture, cookware, dinnerware, and flatware, also. Not recommended for clothing or anything fabric. (07/09/2009)

By itsagift

Removing Sticker Residue

There's a great product in Canada called "Goo Gone" you can buy it at hardware or department stores in the cleaner section. I removed really old decals off windows and doors successfully with it. (07/11/2009)

By gcdallaire

Removing Sticker Residue

Lighter fluid (07/21/2009)

By pthimlar

Removing Sticky Residue

I don't know if I'm in the right category, I couldn't really find one that fit. I went to a yard sale and bought a really cute pair of shoes. I don't think they're leather, but I'm not sure what they're made of. They stuck a price sticker right on one of the shoes. When I pulled it off, there's a sticky residue there, any tips on any cleaning solutions that work well for getting sticky residue off stuff? Thanks!

Stacey from Eagle Mountain, UT

Answers:

Removing Sticky Residue

Try a little WD-40 on it. (08/12/2008)

By DEBRADJ.

Removing Sticky Residue

I use WD-40 to remove sticky stickers. (08/12/2008)

By Ginger

Removing Sticky Residue

Any kind of oil will take it off. Cooking oil, baby oil, spray Pam; anything like that. It will also remove labels and the residue from jars, etc. Just rub it in until the stuff comes off. There's a product call Goo-Gone that works but oil is cheaper. (08/12/2008)

By Nancy Wall

Removing Sticky Residue

A bit of alcohol should work. (08/12/2008)

By sandy63

Removing Sticky Residue

I also use Pam, just spray and let it sit a few minutes. Wipe with soapy cloth. Repeat if necessary. It's easy and works great! (08/12/2008)

By Simply Joyful

Removing Sticky Residue

I bought my granddaughter a top at a yard sale, brought it home to wash it, took the sticker off, and the sticker residue came right off with Goo-Gone. After washing, there was no residue from the Goo-Gone or the sticker. I have used Goo-Gone on many surfaces, it is a staple in my cleaning bucket. (08/12/2008)

Removing Sticky Residue

The one thing that no one mentioned, which I have had great success with is----peanut butter. Work it into the sticky spot, let it sit for a few minutes and use a paper towel to wipe it off. Any oily residue can be removed with a little hot water. If you want to remove a sticker, the best thing is to use your blow dryer to heat it up first. This helps to remove it more cleanly in the first place. I think that this is a GREAT SITE. There is nothing like personal experience for really good advice. Thanks to everyone! (08/13/2008)

By Shari

Removing Sticky Residue

Try using a little rubbing alcohol on the place where the sticker was. Take a soft cloth and alcohol and rub gently over the sticker residue. It will not hurt the shoes. Hope this helps. (08/13/2008)

By Leila Reinerman

Removing Sticky Residue

I use saddle soap to clean shoes, boots. Saddle soap will prevent athletic shoes like Nike, New balance, etc. from cracking. (08/13/2008)

By patty114

Removing Sticky Residue

I bought a nice pair of shoes from TJ Maxx, but as everyone knows, they put their price stickers right on the shoe. After trying every single home product like nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol and cooking spray, nothing worked. Surprisingly, I took an eraser and erased it right off. Do not use other products. They may take the polish or finish off whatever the sticker is on. The eraser worked perfectly. (08/14/2008)

By emmaaa

Removing Sticky Residue

De-Solv-It works great. Available at Walmart. (08/23/2008)

Removing Sticky Residue

Skin-So-Soft by Avon, or baby oil removes sticky stiff. (09/05/2008)

By Marie

Removing Sticky Residue

I had a sticky pen (from a price sticker I pulled off). I tried the Pam suggestion: I sprayed canola oil spray on it, left it sitting for about five minutes, then put it under the faucet for a second, then wiped it off. Good riddance! (09/06/2008)

By Paige

Removing Sticky Residue

Eraser works. When it looks like it's just smearing, use a rag with soap and water and wipe it off and repeat with eraser. It worked for me on a glass surface. (12/16/2008)

By seiko

Marie...

Thanks Marie for the Skin-So-Soft/Baby oil tip. It works well! (01/31/2009)

By Jesse

I could not find my Goo Gone to get a price tag off of something. I used hand sanitizer and it came off quickly.

Hand Sanitizer is great for removing glue and such off your hands, price stickers off glass, etc.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.