Removing Sticker Residue

It is so frustrating trying to remove sticker residue from your purchases or elsewhere around your home. This is a guide about removing sticker residue.

Removing Sticker Residue
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

How many of you moms out there have spent entirely too much time trying to remove stickers that have been stuck on every surface in the entire house by your ornery toddler? Hold onto your bonnets, ladies! You ready? Use the steam from your iron to remove any type of sticky sticker off any surface!

Fill your iron chuck full of water and turn the heat and steam on High. Let it get good and hot, then hold your iron upright or over your sticker nightmare and start pressing that steam button as fast as you can. In seconds, the entire sticker can be lifted off with absolutely NO residue left on the surface.

May all of you sticker-removing mommies sleep better tonight knowing that at least one toddler mess can be cleaned up with ease.

By April from Albany, GA

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Don't you just hate it when you get something new made of glass with a sticker on it. You remove the sticker, but it leaves a sticky goo like substance on it. Problem solved! Just put some rubbing alcohol, mineral oil, or nail polish remover on a cotton ball or paper towel and rub it. The residue comes right off. So easy!

Don't you find it annoying when you buy something and when you try to remove the label it leaves a greasy or a sticky substance on the item? Well if you don't have any goo begone, just smear a gob of peanut butter on it. Take a paper towel and rub, turning the paper towel often as it removes the sticky substance. No more sticky substance on it. It really works. I just did this on a jar, removing what was left of the price tag!

By Dorothy from New Creek, WV

You probably won't believe it (I didn't at first), but the best thing I know to remove sticky residue from labels and tags is fly spray! Yep, your everyday, garden variety fly spray. Spray some on a paper towel and rub the sticky area (it takes a little work). If it is particularly stubborn, spray it directly onto the area and leave a few seconds before working on it. You may need to do it a couple of times, but I haven't found one yet that didn't come away. This works on glass, ceramic, china, etc.

By Sue from Palm Beach, Queensland

How do I remove the sticky glue from labels placed on containers?

By Curtis from Valley Mills, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used J & J baby body wash, let it soak over night. The labels came off but not the glue. I used Land of Lakes butter

with Canola Oil as a ingredient, smeared it on the lids on the glue areas and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then ran water on the lid and used a paper towel to wipe it off and all the glue was gone and no scratches. I could not see where anything had ever been on it (crystal clear). I was amazed and believe if I had used the butter in the beginning label and glue would have come off in one easy procedure. Hope this helps!

Read More Answers...

Lemon essential oil removes sticky residues quickly and easily. Put 4 drops of the lemon essential oil onto a cotton ball. Hold the cotton ball onto the sticky residue for a couple seconds then rub in a circular motion until the residue is gone. I have successfully used this method for removing two sided tape from metal and also sticky residue from labels.

supplies

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To remove price stickers, bumper stickers, or glue residue try using Goo Gone. I have found it to be the best, fastest, and will not damage. I even used it on t-shirts and jeans after I removed a stick-on label and it left a glue residue.

Lighter fluid for cigarette lighters (Ronsonal, Zippo, or store brand) is wonderful for removing sticky stickers or labels. It even works on fabric! Just a little bit will dissolve the messy sticky residue.

I bought a large wall mirror and after removing the label there's a sticky residue that I can't take off. I tried alcohol and nail polish remover. Thanks

By Letty

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try GooBGone. Works for me.

Read More Answers...

I would like to know how to remove glue left on silverware, such as knife/fork from the sales tag.

By Patricia from Buffalo, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Goo-Gone works very well on this. Follow the directions and your problem should be history.

Read More Answers...

How do I remove the sticky residue left from a sticker on inside of shoe, under my heel? It is leather, so I don't know if I can use Goo Gone. When I walk, one heel sticks and makes noise every time I take a step. Very frustrating!

By Christine K.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I bought a pair of sandals that have that suede type fabric and right under my heels there were stickers that rubbed off, leaving a sticky residue. I read all over different methods so I started going down the list. First I tried letting peanut butter sit on it, then I wiped it away with paper towels (which didn't work) and then I tried wiping it with a cotton ball and it was still super sticky. Then I tried rubbing in all sorts of directions with 100% acetone nail polish remover and cotton balls again. Still it felt sticky to me.

So then I tried vegetable oil with cotton balls. I let it sit for a minute or so and then would rub in any direction where it looked like the suede was going different directions and the residue was lifting. In the end, I have the circular spots still there, but since they are sandals, I don't mind especially since they are dried and no longer sticky.

Just experiment a little with things that you know won't ruin the fabric in your shoes. :)

Read More Answers...

You know how you peel off a sticker and it leaves behind the sticky glue? I used Bath and Body Works hand sanitizer and it works great. I put some on and spread it evenly throughout the surface then let it sit for 20-30 minutes.

I have a square of whitish sticky residue on a black leather coat left after removing a name tag from it.
    Does anyone know how to get that off without damaging the leather?

By Eleanor G

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For leather I use this stuff called SofSole Leather Lotion that I buy from DSW.

I bought a girl's polyester vest and the manufacturer had put their brand sticker on the front of the vest. It has left a sticky circle approximately 1.5 in diameter. How can I remove the sticky patch without damaging the vest?
    Thank you.

By Judy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Not sure if it will ruin the fabric, but nail varnish remover is usually good for getting rid of stitcky stuff.

I was looking at some pictures i found in my purse last night, and the one with my daughter holding my great nephew (2 months old at the time) has some sticky paper residue on it, possibly from a sticker from my Dd (5 years old). I was wondering if there is a way to remove this without ruining the picture? Thank you for all responses. I would really hate to throw this one out.

jmz2005 from illinois

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The absolute best product to use and will not damage photos is a product called Un-DU. You can get it in craft stores uisually in the scrapbooking section. I have also found it at Lowes. This amazing product will also remove dried hot glue where the glue was not meant to be. ou just have to try it. Hope this helps (I know it will).

Read More Answers...

Soak the jar and, after removing label, add a dab of mayonnaise. Let it set a few minutes, then rub. The glue will come off with no effort.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can I remove left over label adhesive? I have washed in hot water, gently scrapped, and used rubbing alcohol. What do I do?

By Pat

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try using an acetone based nail polish remover and a cotton ball. Paint thinner or mineral spirit will also take the label adhesive off of a metal surface.

Removing glue used for labels from cooking pans. I tried everything. WD40, mineral spirits, nail polish remover, dish detergent poured directly on the glue, nothing worked.

Does anyone know how I can remove the label glue from the inside of my shoe without ruining the material? Ross sticks their price tags on the inside of the shoe and I've peeled it off and attempted to get all the glue, but the glue inside still sticks to the bottom of my foot. Actually it's a sandal type shoe so I'm barefoot when wearing these shoes. Any suggestions?

By Diane from Sacramento, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try rubbing an ice cube on it. This works in getting candle wax out of fabric. It works on some types of glue. If not, I would try a little alcohol on a cloth.

Read More Answers...

I bought a pair of Lilly Pulitzer sandals that had sticker residue on the leather insoles. I used Goo Gone and it removed the gold lettering also and also left a blotched area.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you remove gummy residue left after removing price tags from satin placemats? Thanks in advance.

Yvonne from El Paso, Texas

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are several things that work well. Test first in a hidden part. White spirit is good to remove sticky residue as is eucalyptus oil but this will also leave an oily spot. One other way is to use another sticker to help lift off the residue.

Read More Answers...

How do I get sticky backing from a name tag off a jacket? The material is like vinyl/leather.

By Ray F.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

So as not to take any chances with damaging the appearance of the jacket, take it to a local dry cleaner and ask their advice, or to a western clothes store where they sell such items.

My daughter came home recently with name tags on her t-shirt from a school project. I assumed she'd removed them before washing & drying however I just noticed the sticker goo is still on the thin t-shirt fabric. How can I safely remove this from these brand new shirts?

Melissa W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had the same problem a while back, only with a pair of soft cotton knit pants. I figured that I'd use my Goo-Gone to get the stuff off, and if it messed up the pants, it didn't matter since I wouldn't wear them the way they were. The Goo-Gone worked great and didn't leave a trace of itself on the pants. I've also tried lighter fluid when I ran out of Goo-Gone, with equally good results.

Load More
    Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJanuary 4, 2013
    roll of tape
    Removing Tape Residue From Clothing and Fabric
    A colorful wooden dresser.
    Removing Sticker Glue from Wood Furniture
    Closeup of HDMI Cable
    Saving Money on HDMI Cables
    Bumper Sticker
    Removing a Bumper Sticker
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 1, 2016 at 4:04:10 PM on 10.0.0.14 in 318 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.