Removing Sticker Residue

It is so frustrating trying to remove sticker residue from your purchases or elsewhere around your home. This is a guide about removing sticker residue.

August 30, 2012 Flag

Don't you find it annoying when you buy something and when you try to remove the label it leaves a greasy or a sticky substance on the item? Well if you don't have any goo begone, just smear a gob of peanut butter on it. Take a paper towel and rub, turning the paper towel often as it removes the sticky substance. No more sticky substance on it. It really works. I just did this on a jar, removing what was left of the price tag!

By Dorothy from New Creek, WV

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

It worked fabulously, thank you.

May 13, 2009 Flag

How many of you moms out there have spent entirely too much time trying to remove stickers that have been stuck on every surface in the entire house by your ornery toddler? Hold onto your bonnets, ladies! You ready? Use the steam from your iron to remove any type of sticky sticker off any surface!

Fill your iron chuck full of water and turn the heat and steam on High. Let it get good and hot, then hold your iron upright or over your sticker nightmare and start pressing that steam button as fast as you can. In seconds, the entire sticker can be lifted off with absolutely NO residue left on the surface.

May all of you sticker-removing mommies sleep better tonight knowing that at least one toddler mess can be cleaned up with ease.

By April from Albany, GA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 10 Comments

January 21, 2014 Flag

Don't you just hate it when you get something new made of glass with a sticker on it. You remove the sticker, but it leaves a sticky goo like substance on it. Problem solved! Just put some rubbing alcohol, mineral oil, or nail polish remover on a cotton ball or paper towel and rub it. The residue comes right off. So easy!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 6 Comments

November 19, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about removing sticker residue on leather. Keep the color and texture of your leather unchanged when cleaning sticker residue.

A leather suitcase with travel stickers.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 19, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about removing sticky label residue on clothing. A sticker on new or old clothes can leave a residue that can be a challenge to remove.

A man adhering a sticky name badge label to his dress shirt.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 17, 2011 Flag

You probably won't believe it, but the best thing I know to remove sticky residue from labels and tags is fly spray! Yep, your everyday, garden variety fly spray. Spray some on a paper towel and rub the sticky area.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 16, 2008 Flag

To remove price stickers, bumper stickers, or glue residue try using Goo Gone. I have found it to be the best, fastest, and will not damage. I even used it on t-shirts and jeans after I removed a stick-on label and it left a glue residue.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 5, 2014 Flag

Lemon essential oil removes sticky residues quickly and easily. Put 4 drops of the lemon essential oil onto a cotton ball. Hold the cotton ball onto the sticky residue for a couple seconds then rub in a circular motion until the residue is gone. I have successfully used this method for removing two sided tape from metal and also sticky residue from labels.

supplies

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 10, 2010 Flag

You know how you peel off a sticker and it leaves behind the sticky glue? I used Bath and Body Works hand sanitizer and it works great. I put some on and spread it evenly throughout the surface then let it sit for 20-30 minutes.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 6, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about cleaning glue residue from pots and pans. Label glue is often difficult to remove.

Close up of racks of woks for sale.  You can see the sticker reflected from the inside of the pan

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 24, 2013 Flag

Soak the jar and, after removing label, add a dab of mayonnaise. Let it set a few minutes, then rub. The glue will come off with no effort.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 9, 2014 Flag

This is a guide about removing sticky residue from name tag on leather jacket. Name tags, often worn for business functions can leave sticky residue on leather jackets.

Leather Jacket

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 9, 2013 Flag

This is a guide about cleaning sticky residue from a mirror. Cleaning sticky residue from a mirror can be trying.

Mirror

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 2, 2011 Flag

How do I remove the sticky glue from labels placed on containers?

By Curtis from Valley Mills, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could use vegetable or any cooking oil. That works excellently. Remember the basic chemistry behind it - Like dissolves Like. The grease is non-polar so it requires another non-polar solvent to dissolve and get rid of it. Since we are dealing with cooking utensils here, it is advisable to use a non-polar solvent that is also edible.

Use cooking oil on that bad boy and send it back to it's mama!

If I have something that is extra tough to get off, I squirt lighter fluid on it and let it set for a few minutes. It's amazing how quickly and completely it works. It's something that my grandmother used years ago and I still use occasionally. It works great for getting Bandaid sticky off skin. Of course you have to be careful not to use around an open flame and be sure to be in a ventilated area.

I know some people will raise all kinds of concerns about it, but you just have to use your head and be careful. You only need a small amount, not the whole bottle!

August 5, 2010 Flag

I would like to know how to remove glue left on silverware, such as knife/fork from the sales tag.

By Patricia from Buffalo, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Rubbing alcohol works the best! I was a dental assistrant for alot of years and adhesive on dental impression trays came off best with rubbing alcohol. (I tried alot of different adhesive removers.)

Try, Peanut Butter, Baby Oil, Vegetable Oil or Goo Gone. They all work.

July 30, 2013 Flag

How do I remove the sticky residue left from a sticker on inside of shoe, under my heel? It is leather, so I don't know if I can use Goo Gone. When I walk, one heel sticks and makes noise every time I take a step. Very frustrating!

By Christine K.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The absolute best product to use is called Un-Du. Goo gone does not work as well. Un-du will remove chewing gum like magic. It will unstick pictures that are stuck together and not harm them at all. It removes postage stamps if you make a mistake addressing the envelope and when Un-Du dries the stamp will be sticky again and ready to use. You can buy this product in craft stores and I have even dseen it at Lowes. Forget the other adhesive removers. They do not work like Un-Du works. One more thing...Un-Du does not leave a mark. It disappears when it evaporates. I put some on the label,peel it off or add a little more then when label or sticker is gone I put some on a rag and wipe off the sticky residue. You might have to repeat a couple times. Hope this helps.

I bought a pair of sandals that have that suede type fabric and right under my heels there were stickers that rubbed off, leaving a sticky residue. I read all over different methods so I started going down the list. First I tried letting peanut butter sit on it, then I wiped it away with paper towels (which didn't work) and then I tried wiping it with a cotton ball and it was still super sticky. Then I tried rubbing in all sorts of directions with 100% acetone nail polish remover and cotton balls again. Still it felt sticky to me.

So then I tried vegetable oil with cotton balls. I let it sit for a minute or so and then would rub in any direction where it looked like the suede was going different directions and the residue was lifting. In the end, I have the circular spots still there, but since they are sandals, I don't mind especially since they are dried and no longer sticky.

Just experiment a little with things that you know won't ruin the fabric in your shoes. :)

September 13, 2006 Flag

I was looking at some pictures i found in my purse last night, and the one with my daughter holding my great nephew (2 months old at the time) has some sticky paper residue on it, possibly from a sticker from my Dd (5 years old). I was wondering if there is a way to remove this without ruining the picture? Thank you for all responses. I would really hate to throw this one out.

jmz2005 from illinois

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is a product called UN-DU that is acid free & safe for photo's and most any surface. It will remove any stickers including postage stamps. It can be purchased at Walmart or any craft store.

The absolute best product to use and will not damage photos is a product called Un-DU. You can get it in craft stores uisually in the scrapbooking section. I have also found it at Lowes. This amazing product will also remove dried hot glue where the glue was not meant to be. ou just have to try it. Hope this helps (I know it will).

April 15, 2013 Flag

How can I remove left over label adhesive? I have washed in hot water, gently scrapped, and used rubbing alcohol. What do I do?

By Pat

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try using an acetone based nail polish remover and a cotton ball. Paint thinner or mineral spirit will also take the label adhesive off of a metal surface.

December 10, 2008 Flag

How do you remove gummy residue left after removing price tags from satin placemats? Thanks in advance.

Yvonne from El Paso, Texas

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Next time use a hair dryer. the heat will keep the glue on the sticker. Sorry, no info for this time around... salad oil works on non-porous items.

There are several things that work well. Test first in a hidden part. White spirit is good to remove sticky residue as is eucalyptus oil but this will also leave an oily spot. One other way is to use another sticker to help lift off the residue.

January 2, 2011 Flag

Is there a homemade remedy for removing sticky residue (eg, cello-tape) from hard surfaces?

By Barbara from Calpe, Spain

Answers:

Removing Sticky Residue

Read the Archives at the bottom of this page. (07/06/2010)

By MCW

Removing Sticky Residue

I just discovered that Caress soap bar will dissolve adhesive.
In fact, last week I used some to remove Scotch tape from a window.
Wet a washcloth, make up a lather on the Caress bar and rub the adhesive spot. It even removed my adhesive medical tabs. No alcohol, nail polish remover, works a charm. Incidentally, I initially bought it because I read on this site that it keeps mosquitoes away. I was disappointed to find out it didn't, but am happy to find another way to use it. I bought the regular pink bar. The bath gel also works too to remove adhesive, but not to get rid of mosquitoes.

Good luck! (07/06/2010)

By metroplex

Removing Sticky Residue

If you happen to have any aerosol hairspray, this works efficiently and quickly. Just spray on and leave a little while, then wipe off. (07/07/2010)

By duckie-do

Removing Sticky Residue

Peanut butter. Leave on about an hour and wipe off. Should work. (07/08/2010)

By packlestax

Removing Sticky Residue

Use a solvent like mineral spirits or lacquer thinner.
Nail polish remover works too. (07/08/2010)

By kemperjl

Removing Sticky Residue

I use baby oil on wood pieces or even olive oil will work; otherwise rubbing alcohol will do a decent job. (07/08/2010)

By yoder178

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 5, 2010 Flag

How do I remove sticker residue?

By onetigger67 from OK

Answers:

Removing Sticker Residue

Use W-D 40 it takes the sticky off of anything. (07/08/2009)

By SusLuvsVintage

Removing Sticker Residue

Rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover. Goo Gone is a good product with a nice orange scent. (07/08/2009)

By OliveOyl

Removing Sticker Residue

When I get a picture frame with a price sticker on the glass I use plain old cooking oil on a paper towel and rub the area of sticky residue. Then when it is off I wash it with soap and water and dry to see if it is all gone for sure. Works on anything that is not going to be marred with oil stain. I have used it on some wood frames that had stickers on the back, lawn furniture, cookware, dinnerware, and flatware, also. Not recommended for clothing or anything fabric. (07/09/2009)

By itsagift

Removing Sticker Residue

There's a great product in Canada called "Goo Gone" you can buy it at hardware or department stores in the cleaner section. I removed really old decals off windows and doors successfully with it. (07/11/2009)

By gcdallaire

Removing Sticker Residue

Lighter fluid (07/21/2009)

By pthimlar

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 6, 2010 Flag

Removing Sticky Residue

I don't know if I'm in the right category, I couldn't really find one that fit. I went to a yard sale and bought a really cute pair of shoes. I don't think they're leather, but I'm not sure what they're made of. They stuck a price sticker right on one of the shoes. When I pulled it off, there's a sticky residue there, any tips on any cleaning solutions that work well for getting sticky residue off stuff? Thanks!

Stacey from Eagle Mountain, UT

Answers:

Removing Sticky Residue

Try a little WD-40 on it. (08/12/2008)

By DEBRADJ.

Removing Sticky Residue

I use WD-40 to remove sticky stickers. (08/12/2008)

By Ginger

Removing Sticky Residue

Any kind of oil will take it off. Cooking oil, baby oil, spray Pam; anything like that. It will also remove labels and the residue from jars, etc. Just rub it in until the stuff comes off. There's a product call Goo-Gone that works but oil is cheaper. (08/12/2008)

By Nancy Wall

Removing Sticky Residue

A bit of alcohol should work. (08/12/2008)

By sandy63

Removing Sticky Residue

I also use Pam, just spray and let it sit a few minutes. Wipe with soapy cloth. Repeat if necessary. It's easy and works great! (08/12/2008)

By Simply Joyful

Removing Sticky Residue

I bought my granddaughter a top at a yard sale, brought it home to wash it, took the sticker off, and the sticker residue came right off with Goo-Gone. After washing, there was no residue from the Goo-Gone or the sticker. I have used Goo-Gone on many surfaces, it is a staple in my cleaning bucket. (08/12/2008)

Removing Sticky Residue

The one thing that no one mentioned, which I have had great success with is----peanut butter. Work it into the sticky spot, let it sit for a few minutes and use a paper towel to wipe it off. Any oily residue can be removed with a little hot water. If you want to remove a sticker, the best thing is to use your blow dryer to heat it up first. This helps to remove it more cleanly in the first place. I think that this is a GREAT SITE. There is nothing like personal experience for really good advice. Thanks to everyone! (08/13/2008)

By Shari

Removing Sticky Residue

Try using a little rubbing alcohol on the place where the sticker was. Take a soft cloth and alcohol and rub gently over the sticker residue. It will not hurt the shoes. Hope this helps. (08/13/2008)

By Leila Reinerman

Removing Sticky Residue

I use saddle soap to clean shoes, boots. Saddle soap will prevent athletic shoes like Nike, New balance, etc. from cracking. (08/13/2008)

By patty114

Removing Sticky Residue

I bought a nice pair of shoes from TJ Maxx, but as everyone knows, they put their price stickers right on the shoe. After trying every single home product like nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol and cooking spray, nothing worked. Surprisingly, I took an eraser and erased it right off. Do not use other products. They may take the polish or finish off whatever the sticker is on. The eraser worked perfectly. (08/14/2008)

By emmaaa

Removing Sticky Residue

De-Solv-It works great. Available at Walmart. (08/23/2008)

Removing Sticky Residue

Skin-So-Soft by Avon, or baby oil removes sticky stiff. (09/05/2008)

By Marie

Removing Sticky Residue

I had a sticky pen (from a price sticker I pulled off). I tried the Pam suggestion: I sprayed canola oil spray on it, left it sitting for about five minutes, then put it under the faucet for a second, then wiped it off. Good riddance! (09/06/2008)

By Paige

Removing Sticky Residue

Eraser works. When it looks like it's just smearing, use a rag with soap and water and wipe it off and repeat with eraser. It worked for me on a glass surface. (12/16/2008)

By seiko

Marie...

Thanks Marie for the Skin-So-Soft/Baby oil tip. It works well! (01/31/2009)

By Jesse

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 10, 2010 Flag

I could not find my Goo Gone to get a price tag off of something. I used hand sanitizer and it came off quickly.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 6, 2009 Flag

Hand Sanitizer is great for removing glue and such off your hands, price stickers off glass, etc.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJanuary 4, 2013
Mirror
Cleaning Sticky Residue from a Mirror
Removing Sticker Residue on Leather
Removing Sticky Label Residue on Clothing
Cleaning Glue Residue From Pots and Pans
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 1:37:55 PM on 10.0.0.212 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.