Removing Sticker Residue

It is so frustrating trying to remove sticker residue from your purchases or elsewhere around your home. This is a guide about removing sticker residue.

August 30, 2012 Flag

Don't you find it annoying when you buy something and when you try to remove the label it leaves a greasy or a sticky substance on the item? Well if you don't have any goo begone, just smear a gob of peanut butter on it. Take a paper towel and rub, turning the paper towel often as it removes the sticky substance. No more sticky substance on it. It really works. I just did this on a jar, removing what was left of the price tag!

By Dorothy from New Creek, WV

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

It worked fabulously, thank you.

Thanks for the response. As I said, goo begone is great, but if you don't have any, the other works well. Never tried mayonnaise, but I will give it a try.

Read More Comments...

May 13, 2009 Flag

How many of you moms out there have spent entirely too much time trying to remove stickers that have been stuck on every surface in the entire house by your ornery toddler? Hold onto your bonnets, ladies! You ready? Use the steam from your iron to remove any type of sticky sticker off any surface!

Fill your iron chuck full of water and turn the heat and steam on High. Let it get good and hot, then hold your iron upright or over your sticker nightmare and start pressing that steam button as fast as you can. In seconds, the entire sticker can be lifted off with absolutely NO residue left on the surface.

May all of you sticker-removing mommies sleep better tonight knowing that at least one toddler mess can be cleaned up with ease.

By April from Albany, GA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I tried this minus the steam, bad bad BAD idea. Use that steam.

This was helpful at first, but when I steamed my inside soles where the stickies were placed, it did not come off. Left residue on my shoes.

Read More Comments...

January 21, 2014 Flag

Just put some rubbing alcohol, mineral oil, or nail polish remover on a cotton ball or paper towel and rub it. The residue comes right off. So easy!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 19, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about removing sticker residue on leather. Keep the color and texture of your leather unchanged when cleaning sticker residue.

A leather suitcase with travel stickers.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 19, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about removing sticky label residue on clothing. A sticker on new or old clothes can leave a residue that can be a challenge to remove.

A man adhering a sticky name badge label to his dress shirt.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 17, 2011 Flag

You probably won't believe it, but the best thing I know to remove sticky residue from labels and tags is fly spray! Yep, your everyday, garden variety fly spray. Spray some on a paper towel and rub the sticky area.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 5, 2014 Flag

Lemon essential oil removes sticky residues quickly and easily. Put 4 drops of the lemon essential oil onto a cotton ball. Hold the cotton ball onto the sticky residue for a couple seconds then rub in a circular motion until the residue is gone. I have successfully used this method for removing two sided tape from metal and also sticky residue from labels.

supplies

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 16, 2008 Flag

To remove price stickers, bumper stickers, or glue residue try using Goo Gone. I have found it to be the best, fastest, and will not damage. I even used it on t-shirts and jeans after I removed a stick-on label and it left a glue residue.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 6, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about cleaning glue residue from pots and pans. Label glue is often difficult to remove.

Close up of racks of woks for sale.  You can see the sticker reflected from the inside of the pan

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 10, 2010 Flag

You know how you peel off a sticker and it leaves behind the sticky glue? I used Bath and Body Works hand sanitizer and it works great. I put some on and spread it evenly throughout the surface then let it sit for 20-30 minutes.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 2, 2011 Flag

How do I remove the sticky glue from labels placed on containers?

By Curtis from Valley Mills, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If I have something that is extra tough to get off, I squirt lighter fluid on it and let it set for a few minutes. It's amazing how quickly and completely it works. It's something that my grandmother used years ago and I still use occasionally. It works great for getting Bandaid sticky off skin. Of course you have to be careful not to use around an open flame and be sure to be in a ventilated area.

I know some people will raise all kinds of concerns about it, but you just have to use your head and be careful. You only need a small amount, not the whole bottle!

I used J & J baby body wash, let it soak over night. The labels came off but not the glue. I used Land of Lakes butter

with Canola Oil as a ingredient, smeared it on the lids on the glue areas and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then ran water on the lid and used a paper towel to wipe it off and all the glue was gone and no scratches. I could not see where anything had ever been on it (crystal clear). I was amazed and believe if I had used the butter in the beginning label and glue would have come off in one easy procedure. Hope this helps!

Read More Answers...

April 24, 2013 Flag

Soak the jar and, after removing label, add a dab of mayonnaise. Let it set a few minutes, then rub. The glue will come off with no effort.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 9, 2014 Flag

This is a guide about removing sticky residue from name tag on leather jacket. Name tags, often worn for business functions can leave sticky residue on leather jackets.

Leather Jacket

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 5, 2010 Flag

I would like to know how to remove glue left on silverware, such as knife/fork from the sales tag.

By Patricia from Buffalo, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try, Peanut Butter, Baby Oil, Vegetable Oil or Goo Gone. They all work.

Goo-Gone works very well on this. Follow the directions and your problem should be history.

Read More Answers...

July 30, 2013 Flag

How do I remove the sticky residue left from a sticker on inside of shoe, under my heel? It is leather, so I don't know if I can use Goo Gone. When I walk, one heel sticks and makes noise every time I take a step. Very frustrating!

By Christine K.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The absolute best product to use is called Un-Du. Goo gone does not work as well. Un-du will remove chewing gum like magic. It will unstick pictures that are stuck together and not harm them at all. It removes postage stamps if you make a mistake addressing the envelope and when Un-Du dries the stamp will be sticky again and ready to use. You can buy this product in craft stores and I have even dseen it at Lowes. Forget the other adhesive removers. They do not work like Un-Du works. One more thing...Un-Du does not leave a mark. It disappears when it evaporates. I put some on the label,peel it off or add a little more then when label or sticker is gone I put some on a rag and wipe off the sticky residue. You might have to repeat a couple times. Hope this helps.

I bought a pair of sandals that have that suede type fabric and right under my heels there were stickers that rubbed off, leaving a sticky residue. I read all over different methods so I started going down the list. First I tried letting peanut butter sit on it, then I wiped it away with paper towels (which didn't work) and then I tried wiping it with a cotton ball and it was still super sticky. Then I tried rubbing in all sorts of directions with 100% acetone nail polish remover and cotton balls again. Still it felt sticky to me.

So then I tried vegetable oil with cotton balls. I let it sit for a minute or so and then would rub in any direction where it looked like the suede was going different directions and the residue was lifting. In the end, I have the circular spots still there, but since they are sandals, I don't mind especially since they are dried and no longer sticky.

Just experiment a little with things that you know won't ruin the fabric in your shoes. :)

Read More Answers...

May 9, 2013 Flag

This is a guide about cleaning sticky residue from a mirror. Cleaning sticky residue from a mirror can be trying.

Mirror

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 13, 2006 Flag

I was looking at some pictures i found in my purse last night, and the one with my daughter holding my great nephew (2 months old at the time) has some sticky paper residue on it, possibly from a sticker from my Dd (5 years old). I was wondering if there is a way to remove this without ruining the picture? Thank you for all responses. I would really hate to throw this one out.

jmz2005 from illinois

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is a product called UN-DU that is acid free & safe for photo's and most any surface. It will remove any stickers including postage stamps. It can be purchased at Walmart or any craft store.

The absolute best product to use and will not damage photos is a product called Un-DU. You can get it in craft stores uisually in the scrapbooking section. I have also found it at Lowes. This amazing product will also remove dried hot glue where the glue was not meant to be. ou just have to try it. Hope this helps (I know it will).

Read More Answers...

April 15, 2013 Flag

How can I remove left over label adhesive? I have washed in hot water, gently scrapped, and used rubbing alcohol. What do I do?

By Pat

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try using an acetone based nail polish remover and a cotton ball. Paint thinner or mineral spirit will also take the label adhesive off of a metal surface.

December 10, 2008 Flag

How do you remove gummy residue left after removing price tags from satin placemats? Thanks in advance.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJanuary 4, 2013
roll of tape
Removing Tape Residue From Clothing and Fabric
Removing a bandaid and leaving behind some adhesive residue.
Removing Adhesive Residue on Skin
Closeup of HDMI Cable
Saving Money on HDMI Cables
Bumper Sticker
Removing a Bumper Sticker
🎉
🎄