Browsing: Cleaning Toilet Bowl Stains

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Toilet Bowl Stains

Whatever kind of stains you may have in your porcelain toilet bowl, they can be a difficult to remove. This guide is about cleaning toilet bowl stains.

Toilet bowl
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 2, 2011 Flag

I am a real nutcase about my bathrooms. Our toilets are still fairly new, so there is no need for them to have brown stains. I had a ring around my bowl and streaks coming down where the water runs into the bowl. Since I use CLR on my faucets I decided to dump some into the toilet bowl to try and get rid of that stubborn stain that wouldn't go away. It worked! Now the bowl is new potty clean.

Sometimes those toilet stains are from bad water and should be dealt with as such. Regular bowl cleaners won't work on mineral deposits. I wrote an email to the CLR people to suggest they make a little disc to put into the flush tank to clean as you flush. I'll let you know what their response is.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

February 2, 2012 Flag

How do I remove a brown stain from the toilet?

By Donna from Wallsend, NSW, Australia

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Lime Away Toilet Bowl cleaner! It is fairly new and in a container shaped like all the other toilet bowl cleaners. It is awesome! It also removed hard water buildup from sinks, faucets and tubs. Be careful, it's really strong and can discolor some metals. This is also the only thing that will clean a glass shower door, just the glass. I just love it! I live in Central TX and the hard water buildup here is awful! It is currently only available in our HEB grocery stores.

Best Answer

I had black mineral stains on three toilet bowls due to the flapper not making a good seal. Replace all three flappers and used 320 and 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper. The sandpaper did the trick. good luck.

Read More Answers...

June 23, 2011 Flag

To clean stubborn stains from your toilet bowl, first if you have a wet/dry vacuum, suck out all the water so you have a virtually liquid free bowl. Then, pour in hydrogen peroxide. It will get rid of all stains and lime. I would suggest using 1/2 a bottle for each cleaning. You might need more or less.

It is cheaper than buying the cleaners made for a toilet bowl, even if you use a whole bottle of it. Many times you can get it on sale for 2 for $1.00. Don't buy any more than you can use before the date expires, because it will turn to water eventually and be ineffective.

Source: This Old House magazine and Eons group

By Elaine S. from Belle Plaine, IA

June 2, 2011 Flag

We have iron and sulfur in our water. Our toilet has a brown water ring at the water's edge. One time, when I cleaned the the toilet, I forgot to flush. Now it has a blue ring around the brown ring. I have tried different things with no success. Please help.

By Cindy I.

Best Answer

I found that using a pumice stone really works. You can get them from the hardware store and it will not scratch the surface. Just gently scour the ring in the toilet and they disappear. The pumice will disintegrate slowly in the process. But they are not expensive and will not hurt the environment.

Best Answer

Yes, I just used the pumice stone the other day & it works when nothing else will!!! I bought mine (on a handle and made especially for that) at my local grocery store for $7.50. It wore down some, but I probably have 20 more uses out of it, at least. You can buy it at most hardware stores.

Read More Answers...

September 11, 2011 Flag

Trying to get rid of those stubborn sink and toilet mineral deposits? Use a superfine grit sandpaper and gently run a folded corner around the faucet or drain area with the hard water or mineral deposits and voila, they are gone!

August 13, 2016 Flag

How can I get rid of a blue/grey tint in my toilet bowl? It is not just a ring, but the whole bowl where the water sits. And what's the cause?

January 9, 2011 Flag

What is the best way to clean a hard brown stain in a toilet?

By Dee from Covington, KY

Best Answer

What works for me is a product called "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner. I used to clean rental houses after the old tenants moved out and this stuff takes things off you wouldn't believe. Wal-Mart usually carries it for like $1.25 or so, or if you have a dollar tree near you, they may have it.

Best Answer

Muriatic (Hydrochloric) acid sold for pools follow directions carefully. do not spill on you or other things. ventilate bath close door do not breath fumes. let set 1/2 hour. Go back in rub with brush and flush. Tried it after father in law was here. He told me about it.

EDITOR'S NOTE: The department of environmental protection says "Do NOT dispose Muriatic (Hydrochloric) acid down the drain or in storm drains." Wikipedia says"Concentrated hydrochloric acid (fuming hydrochloric acid) forms acidic mists. Both the mist and the solution have a corrosive effect on human tissue, with the potential to damage respiratory organs, eyes, skin, and intestines."

Read More Answers...

November 28, 2008 Flag

I used Lysol toilet bowl cleaner, and some of the liquid got on the toilet seat, leaving a blue stain. The seat is injection molded plastic. Any ideas about how to remove this stain? Thanks.

Susana from Houston, TX

Best Answer

how about a Magic Eraser they have removed many stains for us from a magic marker to koolaid

Best Answer

Thank you all!! The stains are mostly gone (there's a little one that resists to go)

I tried a combination of two tips: bleach and magic eraser. (BTW, I had tried magic eraser alone and bleach alone, and they didn't work)

Read More Answers...

September 27, 2015 Flag

My question is how do I remove the "pinkish" water stains in my toilets, due to our soft water? I have tried so many different products without success. I am so frustrated I hope someone may have a solution. Our toilets are only a year old, and I clean them 2-3 times a week. I would appreciate any information anyone who may have this similar problem. Thank you so much.

Best Answer

Could be bacteria re the color. Try 3 cups of bleach, swish and let stand for a hour or so.

December 7, 2006 Flag

Does anyone know how to clean water spots out of a black toilet? I have a beautiful black toilet and it is full of water spots that are ugly! Any advice on how to get rid of them?

July 29, 2016 Flag

I have brown stains that run down from the rim where the water comes into the bowl. There is actually a hard buildup that I cannot get off with Lime Away or CLR. What will remove this?

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomSeptember 28, 2012
Cleaning the Toilet, Woman with Blue Gloves Scrubbing Her Toilet
Cleaning a Toilet
Cleaning a white toilet.
Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner Recipes
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 28, 2016 at 8:06:19 AM on 10.0.0.104 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.