Removing Tough Smells from Laundry

Certain odors are very difficult to remove from laundry. This is a guide about removing tough smells from laundry.

April 29, 2013 Flag

My husband is a runner and his clothes get really smelly. They were making all the laundry have an odor. I used several different brands of detergent, but his clothes still had an odor. I finally started adding one cup of household white vinegar to each load of clothes. No more odor! All the clothes come out smelling great and no more sweaty smell to my husband's sports clothes.

Thanks, I had heard of this and bought a gallon jug and forgot about it. Will try it today.

If you have a front load washing machine, then that was your problem. Adding vinegar took care of the smell in your washer and also your clothes. Also, leave the door open on your washing machine when you are not using it. I have been using vinegar for years. I put it in a spray bottle and spray the armpits of my husbands shirts. Keeps them smelling good and no yellowing.

October 22, 2004 Flag

To get tough smells out of clothing, use a touch of Pine Sol in the normal wash cycle along with your regular washing detergent. The Pine Sol smell won't be there (unless you use too much) and the bad odor will be gone as well.

By Sandi

A "touch" of pine sol? How much is a "touch"?

I would try a couple cap fulls. I personally like Vinegar, though. Just add between a 1/2 cup and 1 cup of white vinegar depending on the size of the load.

I don't know about y'all but I wouldn't want my clothes smelling like Pine Sol. I can't imagine something could possibly smell worse. It smells like the stuff the janitor used to bring in your classroom when a kid threw up. And I still don't know which smelled worse.

I don't want to wash a borrowed dress but it smells like BO is there a trick to get out the stinkies

I wrote earlier about a BO left over dress that came back from the dry cleaners from a friend. I had success in getting the stink out by using dog stain & odor removal. I then had to wash the silk/rayon dress. I used a product that I use on my washable silk. The dress is now 'odor free' again!

I am so happy. If you have a pet, you probably have an odor neutralizing product already! I then knew I had to gently wash the dress ( fingers crossed), and all is fine again! Wanted to share this info for others with this problem!

November 29, 2012 Flag

I accidentally threw a cleaning cloth that I had used to polish my stainless steel appliances into a washer full of bath towels, wash cloths, etc. After 4 washes the smell is still in my bath towels. What can I do next? I have tried Clorox and another time tried baking soda. Please help. Thanks.

By Mary

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you tried running a cycle with distilled white vinegar then rinsing with fabric softener with fabreeze? That may help.

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryDecember 12, 2012
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
Laundry in Washing Machine
How To Do Laundry
Dry laundry detergent stored in glass canisters.
Storing Dry Laundry Detergent
package of soap
Using Fels Naptha Soap
🎉
🎄