Removing Water Marks from Wood Furniture

How do I remove a recent water stain from my antique oak counter?

By Sherry from Gower, MO

Use a combination of commercial furniture polish and olive oil. Cover the water mark with olive oil and then spray the furniture polish on this. Take a soft cloth and rub in a circular motion, adding more furniture polish as it absorbs into the wood and your polishing cloth.

If the water stain has been there a while, use a little non-gel toothpaste. Rub it in in a similar manner as above. (04/27/2010)

By randyw36

An old trick my sister used to do: a bit of ashes from a cigarette ash tray and, get this, a bit of spit.

She swore by it. She'd rub the two together with an old rag into the spot and the white spot would disappear.

By cecilialovesbutterflys

I just tried this myself on a 3 day-old water mark and it worked. Put some toothpaste (not the gel type) on a wet hand towel and rub the stain in a circular motion, then wipe out the dry section of the towel and you're done! (05/04/2010)

By airam10

Water Mark on Wood
Cup Stain on Wood
Removing Cup Rings from Wood Furniture
Hands polishing a wood table
Cleaning Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
A pregnant woman rubbing cream in her belly to prevent stretch marks.
Preventing Stretch Marks