Removing Yellow Stains from Linen

Fine cotton fabric can become yellowed with age and need some special care to get it white again. This guide is about removing yellow stains from linen.

August 4, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know how to remove old yellow stains from linen that has been stored? The type that just appear, old stains coming back? They are too good to throw away! Thanks.

By Jenniwren from South Coast, NSW, Aust.

For antique linens, I suggest you consult an antiques dealer. I have purchased a locally produced soak product for heirloom clothes, LilyWhite, from an antiques dealer. I don't know if it's still available. I am still hoarding my supply! It removes a substantial amount of rust and age stains.

However, for just everyday stuff, not heirlooms, try an Oxydol or Oxyclean type of product, follow directions, and soak, soak soak the stained areas. I love linen for the beauty of the patterns and the feel of the cloth, so if something is too badly stained or damaged, see if you can cut it down and/or repurpose it - a smaller tablecloth, table napkins, or a dresser-piece. Finally, linen makes wonderful costuming material and some costumer or theatre group should appreciate a cast-off piece that can make period clothing pieces such as shirts, wimples, hoods, aprons, etc.

Whink's "No More Yellow" is pretty good (I think I got this at Also, for best results if you have space & clothes line to do so (this from my British gram), thoroughly rinse the linen to remove any detergents that get held in fabric, then hang in the sunshine for a day or two. Sunshine is very effective at natural bleaching (as our curtains and carpets can show).

Often this is aged food stains, esp sugars that turn brown.

When I had my antique business I bought many stained linens. I always washed them as usual, adding a splash or two of ammonia to the washer. After rinsing I hung them in the sun to dry. This usually removed the majority of any stains found on the linens, especially tablecloths. Good luck.

October 22, 2006 Flag

I am trying to clean a linen tablecloth that has become yellow thru non-use.

Barbara from Windsor, Canada

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Mix a solution of dishwasher detergent and the hotest water you can get. Soak the cloth overnight and then launder as you normally would.

Home and Garden Cleaning Linens and BlanketsOctober 20, 2013
Cleaning Old Dresses
Removing Yellow Creases from Stored Dresses
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Decorated and embellished fabric calendar.
Decorating a Linen Wall Calendar