Browsing: Removing Yellow Stains from Linen

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Yellow Stains from Linen

Fine cotton fabric can become yellowed with age and need some special care to get it white again. This guide is about removing yellow stains from linen.

Linen Tablecloth
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 4, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know how to remove old yellow stains from linen that has been stored? The type that just appear, old stains coming back? They are too good to throw away! Thanks.

By Jenniwren from South Coast, NSW, Aust.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Whink's "No More Yellow" is pretty good (I think I got this at hometrends.com). Also, for best results if you have space & clothes line to do so (this from my British gram), thoroughly rinse the linen to remove any detergents that get held in fabric, then hang in the sunshine for a day or two. Sunshine is very effective at natural bleaching (as our curtains and carpets can show).

Often this is aged food stains, esp sugars that turn brown.

When I had my antique business I bought many stained linens. I always washed them as usual, adding a splash or two of ammonia to the washer. After rinsing I hung them in the sun to dry. This usually removed the majority of any stains found on the linens, especially tablecloths. Good luck.

I tend to use lemon juice or white vinegar, but never use bleach, it will eat the fabric and create more yellowing. I lay out the linen on a white sheet on the grass in the sun, then put the juice or vinegar on the stain and leave it sit in the sun for at least the day. For really bad stains I soak in hot water with an enzyme cleaner (like oxyclean) first then lay out in the sun. The most important thing is to rinse, rinse, rinse to get all the soap and residues out. Hope this helps.

Read More Answers...

October 22, 2006 Flag

I am trying to clean a linen tablecloth that has become yellow thru non-use.

Barbara from Windsor, Canada

Mix a solution of dishwasher detergent and the hotest water you can get. Soak the cloth overnight and then launder as you normally would.

Home and Garden Cleaning Linens and BlanketsOctober 20, 2013
Cleaning Old Dresses
Removing Yellow Creases from Stored Dresses
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Decorated and embellished fabric calendar.
Decorating a Linen Wall Calendar
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 20, 2016 at 11:06:42 PM on 10.0.0.164 in 696 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.