Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Repairing a Zipper That Separates

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
zipper

Having a zipper that continually separates is very frustrating. This is a guide about repairing a zipper that separates.

Here are questions related to Repairing a Zipper That Separates.

Question: Repairing a Nylon Zipper That Separated

I want to fix my boots so bad, but I don't know how. When I zip them up it starts to come open at the bottom so please tell me how to fix them. They are my favorite.

By Lindsay B.

Most Recent Answer

By Christi [7]10/14/2012

Similar to Molly's idea but if you can't sew it I would put a dab of glue on the inside & outside of the zipper.

Question: Repairing a Zipper That Zips and Then Splits Open

How do you repair a zipper that comes apart while zipping up a sweatshirt?

By Dana from Palo Alto, CA

Most Recent Answer

By louiser11/05/2011

Old dog is a genius. I pinched the slots on my plastic jacket zipper and it works like a charm. Thanks!

Question: Fixing a Metal Zipper That Separates

The metal zipper on my leather purse has started to separate after zipping, which defeats the purpose of zipping the bag. Is there a way I can fix it myself?

By Liz from Houston, TX

Question: Zipper Keeps Separating

My jeans zipper is separating from the bottom up after it is zippered. Help! These are my favorite pair.

By Patti N.

Most Recent Answer

By freebyrdz [4]02/16/2012

It is pretty inexpensive to get a new one put in if you can't fix it yourself. Most dry-cleaners offer this service.

Question: Repairing a Plastic Zipper That Burst Open

I have a back pack that I really like, but the zipper has been burst by putting too many books in it. The zipper is plastic. Is there anything to do to repair it?

By Anne from Dry Prong, LA

Most Recent Answer

By Laura Brown [2]04/13/2010

You can do this on metal zippers, too.

Solutions: Repairing a Zipper That Separates

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Repairing a Zipper That Zips and Then Splits Open

The zipper on my coat does zip, but it splits open. How can I fix this?

By Suz from NJ

RE: Repairing a Zipper That Zips and Then Splits Open

I truly don't think there is a way to fix a zipper that does this (at least that's my personal experience), but what you could try is taking it to a dry cleaners that has an on sight seamstress. If anyone knows, the seamstress will. :-) I've had a lot of help over the years doing this and, for the most part, they are less expensive than a strictly tailoring business. Be prepared that you might have to replace the zipper though. (12/08/2009)

By Deeli

If it's a nylon zipper, then you can't repair them. If you know how to put in a zipper (a rather simple procedure really), then just remove the old zipper with a seam ripper and place the new zipper in the same area and sew along the same seam lines. Measure the zipper so you'll know what length you will need. Most sewing machines come with a zipper foot attachment. (I think dryer heat too hot causes nylon zippers to malfunction.)

If the zipper is metal, sometimes you can hand sew over the zipper above the area where teeth are missing and that will keep the zipper pull from slipping out of place and popping open the zipper. Also, this depends on where teeth are missing, like in the middle, then you'll need to replace. (12/08/2009)

By Lorelei

Before you replace the zipper you might try using pliers and gently clamping the pull together a little. I have had success doing that on a heavy zipper such as would be in a coat. By pull I mean the part that you pull up to zip the coat. Press close to the bottom of the pull a little and see if that helps. It is not a lot of fun to replace a zipper! (12/10/2009)

By wykitkat

Unzip the zipper and then squeeze it with a pair of pliers to close the gaps that guide the cloth part by the teeth. If those gaps are too wide, the teeth don't inter-mesh securely, I think. It worked on a pair of boots I had. (12/10/2009)

By old dog