Repairing a Zipper That Separates

Having a zipper that continually separates is very frustrating. This is a guide about repairing a zipper that separates.

zipper
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I want to fix my boots so bad, but I don't know how. When I zip them up it starts to come open at the bottom so please tell me how to fix them. They are my favorite.

By Lindsay B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Similar to Molly's idea but if you can't sew it I would put a dab of glue on the inside & outside of the zipper.

Read More Answers...

How do you repair a zipper that comes apart while zipping up a sweatshirt?

By Dana from Palo Alto, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you! Saved my blouse! Pinching the zipper worked!

Read More Answers...

My jeans zipper is separating from the bottom up after it is zippered. Help! These are my favorite pair.

By Patti N.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It is pretty inexpensive to get a new one put in if you can't fix it yourself. Most dry-cleaners offer this service.

Read More Answers...

I have a back pack that I really like, but the zipper has been burst by putting too many books in it. The zipper is plastic. Is there anything to do to repair it?

By Anne from Dry Prong, LA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can do this on metal zippers, too.

Read More Answers...

The zipper on my coat does zip, but it splits open. How can I fix this?

By Suz from NJ

Repairing a Zipper That Zips and Then Splits Open

I truly don't think there is a way to fix a zipper that does this (at least that's my personal experience), but what you could try is taking it to a dry cleaners that has an on sight seamstress. If anyone knows, the seamstress will. :-) I've had a lot of help over the years doing this and, for the most part, they are less expensive than a strictly tailoring business. Be prepared that you might have to replace the zipper though. (12/08/2009)

By Deeli

If it's a nylon zipper, then you can't repair them. If you know how to put in a zipper (a rather simple procedure really), then just remove the old zipper with a seam ripper and place the new zipper in the same area and sew along the same seam lines. Measure the zipper so you'll know what length you will need. Most sewing machines come with a zipper foot attachment. (I think dryer heat too hot causes nylon zippers to malfunction.)

If the zipper is metal, sometimes you can hand sew over the zipper above the area where teeth are missing and that will keep the zipper pull from slipping out of place and popping open the zipper. Also, this depends on where teeth are missing, like in the middle, then you'll need to replace. (12/08/2009)

By Lorelei

Before you replace the zipper you might try using pliers and gently clamping the pull together a little. I have had success doing that on a heavy zipper such as would be in a coat. By pull I mean the part that you pull up to zip the coat. Press close to the bottom of the pull a little and see if that helps. It is not a lot of fun to replace a zipper! (12/10/2009)

By wykitkat

Unzip the zipper and then squeeze it with a pair of pliers to close the gaps that guide the cloth part by the teeth. If those gaps are too wide, the teeth don't inter-mesh securely, I think. It worked on a pair of boots I had. (12/10/2009)

By old dog

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair ClothingJanuary 18, 2013
zipper flower
Making a Zipper Flower Pin
Blue Zipper
Adding a Zipper to a Juice Pouch Purse
Zipper Plastic Bottle Container
Zipper Plastic Bottle Container
A blue zipper that is half way unzipped.
Fixing a Stuck Zipper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 6:08:08 PM on 10.0.2.188 in 438 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.