Repairing a Nylon Zipper That Separated

I want to fix my boots so bad, but I don't know how. When I zip them up it starts to come open at the bottom so please tell me how to fix them. They are my favorite.

By Lindsay B.

I had to take my purse to the shoe repairman. Call and ask how much for a new zipper as to patch a zipper with any strain on it usually doesn't work or very long.

This may be a problem for a shoemaker. Separating zippers especially the nylon kind with small fine teeth are nearly impossible to fix.

You need to get a matching thread and a good needle. At the bottom of the zipper where it separates you need to stitch back and forth like you would do with zig-zag sewing machine in a stationary position.

This will hold the zipper closed so you can zip it up. If you have a shoe repair it would take them seconds to stitch it with their machine. I have repaired zippers like this for years. If you have any question, contact me at ... msharka AT aol.com

The advice of the other two ladies is valid and you really need to get this evaluated by a shoe repairman. However, I would try to repair it myself if it were me. If they are really good boots and worth the investment, I would go with what they advise. Good luck salvaging something you love.

Similar to Molly's idea but if you can't sew it I would put a dab of glue on the inside & outside of the zipper.