Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Replacing Worn Off Keyboard Letters

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Worn Off Keyboard Letters

As long as the keyboard still works, you can find a way to mark those keys again. This guide is about replacing worn off keyboard letters.

Solutions: Replacing Worn Off Keyboard Letters

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Replacing Worn Off Keyboard Letters

Black keyboard: Silver Sharpies. It's not as neat as the stickers, but cheap. Silver Sharpies are great for writing on black surfaces (putting kids names on stuff, etc.)

By

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Replacing Worn Off Keyboard Letters.

Question: Letters Rubbed of Keyboard Keys

I was just wondering if anyone has the same problem as I do. Some of the letters on my keyboard have been rubbed off. I have tired to mark some of them with Wite Out and they just rubbed back off. It is mostly the keys on the right hand side of the keyboard that have been rubbed off.
Any help with my problem would be appreciated as I have to look at my keyboard from time to time. Thanks so much.

By Mary from Mendenhall, MS

Most Recent Answer

By Deanj03/21/2012

I also have the same problem. I live with it until I can't live with it any more then I go buy a new key board. Usually they cost 10 bucks.

Question: Letters Wearing Off My Brand New Dell Keyboard

Does anyone have a suggestion for replacing the letters on the keyboard? The most used ones which in my case are a, s, d, e, r, and t are almost completely gone.

By glo from Rockford, IL

Most Recent Answer

By Andrea Kollars [5]08/14/2011

Well, this problem is NOT just a Dell problem! I bought my first PC in 2/2004. It was an eMachine! The keyboard was tan & I never had a problem with the keys wearing off! I bought a Microsoft keyboard approximately 2.5 yrs ago. The letters started wearing off, so, I later bought a Logitech.....same problem.

Last year I bought an HP desktop & the keyboard started to wear off. I did get hold of them & they sent me a new one......it started wearing off, too! Then In Dec. 2010, I bought an HP laptop & it did the same thing! I was told to send it in & HP replaced the keyboard last week!

Now I am wondering how long before this one starts wearing off! So, it's not just a Dell problem! They are making everything cheaper, now, & we are made to pay for it! That being said, HP has great customer service! when I got my laptop back last week, I called & told them nothing was done about the battery that lost it's charge in 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I am to receive a new one later today!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Letters Wearing Off My Brand New Dell Keyboard

The letters on my brand new Dell keyboard are wearing off. Anyone have an idea of how to stop this? I tried clear nail polish.

Linda J from NY

RE: Letters Wearing Off My Keyboard

Contact Dell computers and have them replace your keyboard because the letters should not be wearing off. (10/04/2008)

By MCW

RE: Letters Wearing Off My Keyboard

I tried they said they are not responsible for the letters wearing off. (10/04/2008)

By daiquiri

RE: Letters Wearing Off My Keyboard

I had the same problem and I emailed Dell and they mailed me a new keyboard right away at no cost. They didn't ask when I bought my computer and I didn't have to return my old keyboard. I was very happy! (10/04/2008)

By DorothyNYC

RE: Letters Wearing Off My Keyboard

This happens to a lot of coated plastics over time, and to most keyboards if you use them enough. Seems like it happened a little quick to yours though. Is it possible you are accidentally putting some sort of chemical on the keys? A cleaning agent, or even a hand lotion that might be wearing them down faster than normal? (10/04/2008)

By MetroPony

RE: Letters Wearing Off My Keyboard

I'm not using any chemicals at all. I have a Logitech and a Microsoft keyboard that are a lot older and the letters are fine. It's just the Dell, maybe it's because it's a black keyboard. I ordered the computer on July 8, 2008 and received it about 10 days later. I'll give them another call and see if they'll send me another keyboard. Is there anything that will prevent the letters from coming off the new one? (10/05/2008)

By daiquiri

RE: Letters Wearing Off My Brand New Dell Keyboard

If you got it after July of this year then that is way too soon for the letters to be wearing off. I would call, email, and write to Dell. Be polite, but firm and also keep track of who and when you talk to someone. If the person that you talk to says no then ask to speak to their supervisor. I would also contact some consumer groups as mentioned below. If that route fails there are apparently decals you can buy to put on the keyboard as well as clear cover that go over the whole keyboard.

http://hooleon.com/

http://www.classykeyboards.com/d_catalog/alpha-replacement-overlays.htm

You could print out a cheat sheet of where the keys are on the keyboard to help you in the meantime.

http://www.koniaris.com/dvorak/kbqwerty.gif

Of course no eating at the computer, no hand lotion and toweling off your hands occasionally might help prevent faster wear. Also you might change your passwords (which you should do anyway) so the same keys aren't being used as the ones that wore off first. I still think that that is much too soon for them to have worn off in the first place. Good luck to you. (10/05/2008)

By Kaelle

I own a Dell laptop purchased brand new in 2003 and not one letter or partial letter has started to wear off. I use it every day. There is seriously something wrong with the letters coming off your keyboard after only a few months. The decal/paint Dell used has to be defective. Call them, aren't you still under warranty? Even if you're not, don't take no for an answer. Good luck and keep us posted! (10/05/2008)

By Dollmaker

Paint on a couple of coats of polyurethane to get you through the short run. However, definitely contact Dell and they should replace it for free if you are persistent. Good luck. (10/06/2008)

By Tahlula

I bought a el-cheapo keyboard from the local discount store (Rose's). I paid $5 for a keyboard and a wrist pad to go under my mousepad. I intended on just using it until I could get something better, but a year later and it's still working great and all the letters are still legible. Sometimes the quality is not in the name! Don't remember what "brand" it is, but they still carry the same set, only I think it's $6 now. (10/06/2008)

By bailegirl

I don't have a Dell keyboard. But when my letters wore off, I used white nail polish to paint the letters on the keys. I figured that eventually that would wear off too. But, to my surprise it never did. And the letters I made are bigger and easier to read. (10/07/2008)

By Erika

White nail polish and polyurethane, think I have both. Jacks has a wireless keyboard and mouse for $19.95. Better deal than $19.95 for letters to paste on. I will call Dell again. (10/07/2008)

By daiquiri

I took your excellent advice and called Dell again. This customer service rep agreed the keyboard was defective and sent me a new one. What I learned from this experience: If you get a bad answer from a customer service rep, call back and try another. (02/14/2009)

By daiquiri

A solution I found for worn off keys is to put replacement stickers on the keyboard. I found some at:

http://www.smartkeyboardsolutions.com/alpha-replacement-labels.htm

The stickers are good quality with a non-glare matte finish. I especially liked the free shipping. I've seen some of the cheap sticker sets that are printed on thin vinyl that won't last very long. As they say, you get what you pay for. It's so much easier to put the stickers on than having to return or replace the keyboard. (11/10/2010)

By Jack2010