Restoring Plywood Furniture

Plywood has been used to make furniture for some time. Although not made of solid wood this furniture is quite strong and can be restored to repair damage and wear to the surface and finish. This is a guide about restoring plywood furniture.

Sanding an oak plywood cabinet.

February 19, 2005 Flag

I have a hutch that I really would like to restore. My mother bought it for me at a yardsale last year and it is my first hutch, so it is very special to me. My kitchen table is light oak which I love but the hutch is dark brown and not solid wood. I think it is like plywood or something so I don't think I can sand it down and restain it, but I could be wrong. I thought about painting it but I don't want to ruin the material. The hutch is large and has alot of detail in the bottom cabinets. I have filled it with white china pieces that are special to me. Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you,
Robin

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Paint it, and maybe do a faux finish that you like. There are lots of books and magazines on faux finishes now. Esp. since the piece isn't really solid wood , you might as well do something cute with it.

Home and Garden Repair FurnitureJuly 10, 2013
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub, An old claw foot tub outside.
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
painting furniture
Making Old Furniture Look New
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 12:06:42 AM on 10.0.1.152 in 491 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.