Browsing: Reusing Laundry Detergent Bottles

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Reusing Laundry Detergent Bottles

Before throwing that sturdy detergent bottle into the trash, you can consider ways to use it for something else. This guide is about reusing laundry detergent bottles.

Reusing Laundry Detergent Bottles
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 22, 2011 Flag

To organize cleaning tools, gardening tools, and small household tools (screwdrivers, wrenches, etc.), clean out an old plastic laundry detergent bottle. With a utility knife, cut off the top of the bottle even with the bottom of the handle, leaving handle intact. This allows full open access for storage. I just grab the handle and go.

By kaznavour from West Babylon, NY

January 22, 2010 Flag

Rock Salt, used to melt ice on pavement, is very harsh to the skin. For an easy, and safe dispenser, I empty the bag of salt into a old laundry detergent bottle. Most have handles which makes spreading the rock salt quite easy. No waste or spill or contact with your skin! Label the bottle to store any unused salt.

By JP's Mom from Rocky Point, NY

November 13, 2011 Flag

First cut the top in a scoop fashion from a Tide laundry soap container. Use the 100 fluid ounce size, leaving the handle on. Make sure that it is washed out very well. I cleaned it with baking soda and vinegar to be sure it was clean. Make sure it is totally dry. Then you can scoop your dog, cat, chicken, or any other food or even sand, gravel, soil, or flour if you want.

Source: Thriftyfun

By Teresa from Lynnwood, WA

February 14, 2005 Flag

I always hated to toss the empty plastic containers for softeners, laundry soap and other similar products. I decided that the lid could be used for different craft projects.

Here's a few; put some rocks in the bottom of the lid for weight, cover with batting, cover with material to form a large ball that is about 2 inches above the lip. You can now glue material or other items such as buttons on the outside and you have a cute pin cushion.

The smaller lids can be used as hats for your crafts, like for a snowman.

The containers can be put over plants in your garden when there is a chance of frost. I wouldn't recommend the ones that hold bleach.

My husband uses them to hold the old oil and transmission fluid when he changes them.

I would like to know any other ideas someone might have for them.

By RoseMary

December 15, 2011 Flag

I wash out the empty bottles. Rinse them thoroughly. Cut the top off of the bottle including the top of the handle. You still have the handle left for holding it and you can use it for a scoop for birdseed.

January 2, 2015 Flag

Has anyone successfully removed the fragrance from liquid laundry detergent bottles so that they can be used as drinking water containers? (And if you are going to tell me not to do this because it is dangerous please cite your source - they are high density polyethylene which is what tons of food containers are made from.)

By John W.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have had the same thought for a while now to save these containers for emergency water. My best thought is to use the water inside for washing water vs drinking water because I figure we will need water for all sorts of things in an emergency.

Soaking in vinegar or peroxide may help. I would NEVER drink any water from these containers but for grey water uses, it is a great way to store water.

You could Try using uncooked rice with some water that's how we used to clean baby bottles when there was no sanitizer. It absorbs all smell and later u can polish yr sink with the starchy water

April 3, 2002 Flag

Does anybody have any *unique* ideas for those liquid laundry detergent jugs and their measuring cup type lids? They are very sturdy and surely
there must be something we could do with them besides throwing them out or recycling them.

I know that they can be cut out and used as a scoop, but I was thinking something with a little more creativity (which I lack). Plus I like crafts and re-dos for adults as my kids are all older, now.
Thanks,
feebyrdz

Hi -- it's 'Plaster of Paris'

As an artist/art educator I would use them to make masks, totem pole characters and I continue to collect recyclable ideas on Pinterest and on here.

I collect the lids, to let the children make such things as paper Christmas trees etc. & use the lids for the pots, also popsicle sticks, cotton baton from pill & vitamin bottles, & give them to the small children's school, the craft teachers really appreciate them, plus all left over felts, beads, old birthday & holiday cards etc. it's amazing what the teachers can teach the children to make with them.

June 22, 2004 Flag

This past week I volunteered at my daughters' Girl Scout day camp. They had taken empty liquid Tide laundry detergent containers, the big ones with the spouts, and cleaned them out and refilled them with water.

October 19, 2009 Flag

Need a large scoop say for bird feed or or something else? Save those laundry detergent jugs. Just wash out the empty container and be sure to keep the lid.

June 29, 2013 Flag

I peel off the labels and reuse them for other liquids I buy in bulk or make. I used the Arm & Hammer yellow containers because I like yellow and I labeled them with my PTouch. I love the way the bottles dispense and I can buy either in bulk or on sale...

November 13, 2007 Flag

Does anyone know how to remove the fragrance from the 2 gallon Tide, Era, and other bottles to reuse for water jugs? I have a dry water well at my barn and 3 horses that need drinking water this winter. Thought these bottles would be ideal for water transport. I've been collecting them from people's curbs all summer.

Hi, I use vinegar for getting rid of smells the vinegar it's self smells but only for a lil while.

Hope that helps

In His Grip

Tommie

Wash them out, then rinse with vinegar to get rid of odor and soap residue.

Any smell of container fragrance could removed by coffee powder , put some coffee powder with hot water then rinse until the smell gone

January 29, 2001 Flag

What are some frugal uses for liquid detergent bottles?

Load More
Better Living Green Living ReusingJune 24, 2012
Uses for Laundry Detergent Caps, Laundry detergent bottle with red cap.
Uses for Laundry Detergent Caps
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
Uses for Laundry Scoops
Uses for Laundry Scoops
Wheelbarrow Flower Decoration
Crafts Using Laundry Detergent Scoops
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 24, 2016 at 11:06:35 PM on 10.0.0.234 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.