Reusing Laundry Detergent Bottles

Before throwing that sturdy detergent bottle into the trash, you can consider ways to use it for something else. This guide is about reusing laundry detergent bottles.

February 22, 2011 Flag

To organize cleaning tools, gardening tools, and small household tools (screwdrivers, wrenches, etc.), clean out an old plastic laundry detergent bottle. With a utility knife, cut off the top of the bottle even with the bottom of the handle, leaving handle intact. This allows full open access for storage. I just grab the handle and go.

By kaznavour from West Babylon, NY

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

If it has a handle:

1. Turn it on its side and cut a slit on top. Put empty thread spools on bottom and cut triangles for ears. Bang, you have a piggy bank.

2. Cut it an angle. Bang, you have a scoop or mini-shovel.

3. Cut a square or large circle. Bang, you got a bird feeder.

4. Fill one for extra gas in your vehicle.

5. Cut a big hole in the side. Bang, you got a clothespin holder.

6. Put water in it for auto or vehicle.

7. Challenge your kids to make something, winners get pizzas.

8. If you have a boat, fill it with sand for an extra anchor.

9. Latch serveral together by the necks and you have a small water float.

10. If they are long (like soda bottles) paint them white. You have 10 and a ball. Bang, you got bowling.

Using a non-approved container for storing gas is against the law in most states. It is also against the law to fill a non-approved container with gasoline at all filling stations. There are signs which warn against doing so. If you are caught there is often a significant fine.

Read More Comments...

January 22, 2010 Flag

Rock Salt, used to melt ice on pavement, is very harsh to the skin. For an easy, and safe dispenser, I empty the bag of salt into a old laundry detergent bottle. Most have handles which makes spreading the rock salt quite easy. No waste or spill or contact with your skin! Label the bottle to store any unused salt.

By JP's Mom from Rocky Point, NY

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try not to get salt near the garden, it's not good for plants. Marg from England.

February 14, 2005 Flag

I always hated to toss the empty plastic containers for softeners, laundry soap and other similar products. I decided that the lid could be used for different craft projects.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 13, 2011 Flag

First cut the top in a scoop fashion from a Tide laundry soap container. Use the 100 fluid ounce size, leaving the handle on. Make sure that it is washed out very well. I cleaned it with baking soda and vinegar to be sure it was clean.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 15, 2011 Flag

I wash out the empty bottles. Rinse them thoroughly. Cut the top off of the bottle including the top of the handle. You still have the handle left for holding it and you can use it for a scoop for birdseed.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 2, 2015 Flag

Has anyone successfully removed the fragrance from liquid laundry detergent bottles so that they can be used as drinking water containers? (And if you are going to tell me not to do this because it is dangerous please cite your source - they are high density polyethylene which is what tons of food containers are made from.)

By John W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have had the same thought for a while now to save these containers for emergency water. My best thought is to use the water inside for washing water vs drinking water because I figure we will need water for all sorts of things in an emergency.

Soaking in vinegar or peroxide may help. I would NEVER drink any water from these containers but for grey water uses, it is a great way to store water.

You could Try using uncooked rice with some water that's how we used to clean baby bottles when there was no sanitizer. It absorbs all smell and later u can polish yr sink with the starchy water

Read More Answers...

April 3, 2002 Flag

Does anybody have any *unique* ideas for those liquid laundry detergent jugs and their measuring cup type lids? They are very sturdy and surely
there must be something we could do with them besides throwing them out or recycling them.

I know that they can be cut out and used as a scoop, but I was thinking something with a little more creativity (which I lack). Plus I like crafts and re-dos for adults as my kids are all older, now.
Thanks,
feebyrdz

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I collect the lids, to let the children make such things as paper Christmas trees etc. & use the lids for the pots, also popsicle sticks, cotton baton from pill & vitamin bottles, & give them to the small children's school, the craft teachers really appreciate them, plus all left over felts, beads, old birthday & holiday cards etc. it's amazing what the teachers can teach the children to make with them.

Umm I getting a wind mill pattern me and my aunt are making one tomorrow I can post a picture of it for you on facebook my name is Wilfred heggart. My profile picture is a grey kitten if you want this patttern

I think  maybe they'd work great as paint pallets (by slicing it in half, logically)and tiles for something...

Read More Answers...

June 22, 2004 Flag

This past week I volunteered at my daughters' Girl Scout day camp. They had taken empty liquid Tide laundry detergent containers, the big ones with the spouts, and cleaned them out and refilled them with water.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 19, 2009 Flag

Need a large scoop say for bird feed or or something else? Save those laundry detergent jugs. Just wash out the empty container and be sure to keep the lid.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 29, 2013 Flag

I peel off the labels and reuse them for other liquids I buy in bulk or make. I used the Arm & Hammer yellow containers because I like yellow and I labeled them with my PTouch. I love the way the bottles dispense and I can buy either in bulk or on sale...

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 9, 2013 Flag

This is a guide about how to make a detergent bottle watering can. Yet another use for an empty detergent bottle; make a watering can.

Detergent Bottle Watering Can

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 13, 2007 Flag

Does anyone know how to remove the fragrance from the 2 gallon Tide, Era, and other bottles to reuse for water jugs? I have a dry water well at my barn and 3 horses that need drinking water this winter. Thought these bottles would be ideal for water transport. I've been collecting them from people's curbs all summer.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi, I use vinegar for getting rid of smells the vinegar it's self smells but only for a lil while.

Hope that helps

In His Grip

Tommie

Wash them out, then rinse with vinegar to get rid of odor and soap residue.

Any smell of container fragrance could removed by coffee powder , put some coffee powder with hot water then rinse until the smell gone

Read More Answers...

January 29, 2001 Flag

What are some frugal uses for liquid detergent bottles? By Tina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

we make "pooper scoopers" out of our bottles...works great and their disposable. Use the handle portion for the scoop. Just use your imagination for the 'how to'. The bottom portion can be used for transporting the poop to the garbage.

My dietician suggested that I use an empty liquid detergent bottle to dispose of my needles that I test my blood sugar with. When it gets full, I'm to take it to my Dr. for him to put in their Hazardous Waste Trash. This way the needles aren't in my trash & aren't assessible to anyone who might be digging in my trash cans.

We use them as hot water bottles in the winter to warm the bed. Only fill though from the hot water tap, not kettle.

Never had an accident yet with them, but maybe best to take them out of bed before sleeping!!though we dont :)

Read More Answers...

January 8, 2013 Flag

This is a guide about crafts using laundry detergent bottles. Save your empty detergent bottles for use in a wide variety of crafts from seasonal decorations to toys.

Recycled Leprechaun Craft

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 9, 2012 Flag

This guide is about uses for laundry scoops. With a new scoop in every bucket or box of detergent, you can end up with extras that can be helpful for many other things.

Uses for Laundry Scoops

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 9, 2011 Flag

This is a guide about uses for laundry detergent caps. When you finish a bottle of laundry detergent, consider saving the cap. Those durable plastic caps can be put to use in many different ways.

Photo of using laundry detergent caps in the bathroom for organizing.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 22, 2006 Flag

Has anyone come up with uses for the large pour spouts inside plastic jugs of laundry detergent? I discovered they are easily removed with a thumb and that two jugs of "empty" detergent jugs release a whole single load-size of left-over liquid laundry soap when the drip spout is removed. I also began to save them and search for uses for the thick spouts. Temporary wheels come to mind, but for what? Anything else? They're a creative design by the manufacture so I hope we can recycle them some way other than with the jugs.

Lynda from Richardson, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Nice to see someone else from Richardson!

Holly

funnels

Load More
Better Living Green Living ReusingJune 24, 2012
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
Dry laundry detergent stored in glass canisters.
Storing Dry Laundry Detergent
Wheelbarrow Flower Decoration
Crafts Using Laundry Detergent Scoops
Recycled Leprechaun Craft
Crafts Using Laundry Detergent Bottles
🎉
🎄