Share & Vote
Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Riding Mower Battery Won't Hold a Charge

0 0EmailFollow
Riding Mower

How can you get the lawn mowed when the battery won't hold a charge? Perhaps a bit of troubleshooting will help you discover the cause and make repairs. This is a guide about riding mower battery won't hold a charge.

Here are questions related to Riding Mower Battery Won't Hold a Charge.

Question: MTD Mower Will Not Hold a Charge

I have a MTD Pro 15.5 hp riding lawnmower that will not stay charged. The battery is new and once charged the mower will run until shut off and will then need to be re-charged. Any suggestions/comments?

By sdokis from Ontario

Most Recent Answer

By general06/10/2015

Check the part called "Protection Wire Loop". This nothing more than a diode (P/N 1N5404) that allows the stator (unless your model has a full blown alternator) to send one half of the a/c electrical signal (IE: just the positive part of the the alternating current (a/c) sign-wave) back to the battery to charge it. It's a simple way for getting "dc" voltage from an ac source and therefore recharging the battery. IF the diode is bad the battery can't be recharged.

Look at a wiring diagram for your mower and it will probably be labeled something like "Charging System Output." It may even state the rating - IE: 3 Amp @ 3600 RPM.

The diode on my mower (Craftsman 16HP LT-1000) was located in the wire harness on the right side at the back of the engine. Trace the wire coming from under the left side of the flywheel around the back of the engine. Begin to open the wire harness just before it joins into the main harness. You will find the diode spliced into a wire. The diode starts the split so that one wire (the continuous one) runs the lights and the diode goes to recharging the battery. The diode will likely be broken and literally fall apart.

It's a cheap (maybe as little as 10 cents) if you can find someplace that has them. Or I ordered one online for a few bucks. It's an easy cheap thing to check for a fix. The diode used had a part number of 1N5404. Hope that helps someone. Good luck.

RE: MTD Mower Will Not Hold a Charge

Question: Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Hold a Charge

I have a Craftsman riding mower. Every time I use it after about 15 minutes of cutting, it cuts off. It drains the battery which I then have to recharge. I have replaced the battery, ignition switch, had the starter rebuilt, solenoid switch replaced, and seat wiring. Any suggestions?

By NS

Most Recent Answer

By general06/10/2015

In my previous answer I thought they were using the stator from the starter. This is incorrect. The stator is part of the overhead flywheel assy. However, the diode issue is still likely the problem. The diode on my mower was located in the wire harness on the right side at the back of the engine. Trace the wire coming from under the left side of the flywheel around the back of the engine. Begin to open the wire harness just before it joins into the main harness. You will find the diode spliced into a wire. The diode starts the split so that one wire (the continuous one) runs the lights and the diode goes to recharging the battery. The diode will likely be broken and literally fall apart.

I apologize for the misinformation. I'm surprised ThriftyFun does not allow for editing ones own post. Hope that corrected information helps someone.

Question: MTD Mower Keeps Draining Battery

I have a 16.5hp MTD riding mower and the battery keeps being drained. We purchased a new battery. As soon as we put it in we had to jump it off. Now it won't even jump off. This is only the second time we have tried to use it since the new battery was installed, 2 weeks ago!

By Michelle

Most Recent Answer

By Deanj07/31/2011

1. I would have the battery checked to see if it indeed drained.
2. What kind of engine do you have.
Reason I ask is I have a John Deere L120 with a Briggs and Stratton engine and it would not start. I though it was the battery. I had it checked at a battery store and they told me it had a full charge. They told me there may be an open ground on the mower. I bought a new battery with more cranking power. I installed the new battery and not even a burp from the engine. I asked a JD dealer what could be the problem. He said the valves were out of adjustment. ( Two dealers have told me the same thing.) He explained I had a Briggs and Stratton engine and they have made junk engines for the past 10 years. He gave this bit of information for me to try. On the top of the engine is the air intake screen. With your hands move the screen in reverse or counter clockwise until you have resistance to the turning. Stop and try starting the mower. It worked for me. So every time I want to start the machine I have to counter turn the air screen untill I feel the resistance. Then it starts. As for the open ground,I checked all the connections as well as the safety connections and found nothing. Maybe this will be of some help for you.

Question: Mower Battery Will Not Hold Charge

Last year it was working perfectly. After the first lawn cut I turned the tractor off. On the next use it was dead. I noticed the black negative battery cable was all messed up and melted. I bought a new cable and battery and it fired right up, but after each use the battery is dead and needs charge. Any suggestions? I have no way to take it to a shop nor do I have the money. I am living on SSD. It's not the battery. Help! It is an old, but in good shape, Poulan Hyrodrive.

By Roger B

Question: Riding Mower Battery Keeps Dying

My John Deere Sabre riding lawn mower battery keeps dying? I have changed the starter and the solenoid, but the battery keeps dying between uses. How can I find out if there is some short or if there is a constant drain on the battery?

By David

Question: Riding Mower Battery Won't Hold a Charge

I have a Poulan pro rider. Something is draining the battery. I replaced it twice and I still have to charge every time we mow.

By Julie from MO

Question: Murray Riding Mower Battery Not Staying Charged

I have a Murray riding mower. It has a brand new battery and solenoid, but I have to jump it off because the battery won't stay charged while running. How can I fix it?

By Stephen from Memphis, TN

Solutions: Riding Mower Battery Won't Hold a Charge

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!