Saving Money on Coffee

A daily beverage for many people, getting the most out of your coffee purchase is important. This guide is about saving money on coffee.

March 14, 2011 Flag

My daughter taught me this tip about saving money on coffee costs. She worked in a fancy coffee shop and they taught her tons about coffee, even though she is not a coffee drinker.

Grind your coffee very fine (espresso grind) and it will go much further. Only use half your normal amount of scoops to get the same or even darker pot of coffee. You may need to use a double filter in your drip coffee maker so no grounds get through.

We have been doing this for awhile now and are very pleased with the results. And, our coffee costs are going down so we are even able to purchase socially responsible coffee also.

By Suzanne from Bainbridge Island WA

"socially responsible coffee"

I seriously doubt that in all the years of their glorious reigns, either Emily Post or Amy Vanderbilt applied such a chic? adjective to coffee.

Should I assume you 'coined the phrase' as reference to a high class cuppa mud?

Funny and cute!

August 23, 2012 Flag

I love my coffee, but the prices continue to go up so I am sharing some things that have helped me save $$ on my coffee.

1. Make your coffee at home and take it with you. This is a huge savings over even the senior coffee price at McDonald's.
  2. Ad

3. Make a smaller pot of coffee instead of the whole pot. I find I actually drink less if I make a smaller pot of coffee. After coffee is gone, I start drinking water all day.
  4. Buy your coffee in bulk when possible. We belong to Costco, they often have coupons on Folgers. I have also purchased on line through Amazon when they have coffee sales.
  5. I have a friend who buys green coffee beans and roasts her own. She said it is fun to do and saves her money.
  6. I also use coupons when they are in the paper and grocery flyers. Walmart, if you shop there, will take another store's ad and match the price.

There really is never a reason to pay full price for coffee.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

Left over coffee can be put in a glass jar and refrigerated to either be used as Ice Coffee later or heated in the micro wave.

April 9, 2013 Flag

If you like the convenience of using a Keurig machine but find the pods too pricey or you miss your favorite coffee, there is a solution. We recently found a 4-pack of reuseable pods for $9.99.

filling pod

April 8, 2013 Flag

Good coffee is expensive, but cheap if you use it correctly. I purchase good quality ground coffee. When I make a 12 cup pot of coffee, I immediately pour the whole thing into a reused plastic juice bottle.

August 16, 2010 Flag

When I want that great flavor coffee, but can't afford the high cost, I buy one jar of my favorite and one cheap jar on sale then mix them together.

April 29, 2011 Flag

If you are spending $3 for a cup of cappuccino every morning, this adds up to $21 a week or $1092.00 a year.

May 5, 2008 Flag

Bottled coffee drinks are better if the coffee is from home. Wash out any single-serving size plastic bottle and allow to dry upside down in a dish rack. I personally prefer 1-liter bottles but any size will do.

March 28, 2016 Flag

How can I compare the cost per cup of coffee made in pot a vs K-cups?

I drink one cup of coffee in the morning; that's my limit, so I want my one cup to be freshly brewed. I use an old 4-cup drip coffee maker for my one cup. To get my one cup at a strength that I like it, I have to use two scoops of ground coffee. Seems like I'm having to use too much ground coffee for one cup, and I'm not particularly fond of what I'm getting. There's got to be a better and easier way. Was just wondering if for my one cup I could get a more satisfying experience using another method. Will look into the French coffee press. Any other ideas?

May 28, 2006 Flag
Fisher Swanson0 found this helpful
You Save: a year!
Use the calculator below to see how much you could save by changing beverages!

My Beverage Costs:

I Buy It Each:

Cheaper Beverage:

The Frugalator!
Do you purchase a latte everyday on your way to work? Ordering a latte every weekday adds up to $650 over the course of a year. If you are looking for ways to save and cut corners in your budget, cutting out the daily latte by either making your own or ordering a cheaper beverage could amount to significant savings over the course of the year. Use The Frugalator on the right to determine how much you could save each year by changing morning beverages.

Some Cheaper Alternatives!

• Buy Drip Coffee: $1.00
  • Make Your Own Latte: $.75 (Price using quality coffee, organic milk and flavoring syrup. Does not include price of Espresso maker.)
  • Make Your Own Drip Coffee... $.25 (Price using quality coffee. Does not include buying your own coffee maker.)

Saving Money on Equipment

The best place to buy rarely used espresso machines is garage sales. Shop around, you can find a quality coffee maker, new, for less than $30.

If you buy one used, check inside the tank for mineral deposits and run a mixture of 1/4 vinegar and 3/4 water throught to remove any deposits.

Save Money on Coffee

Coffee prices fluctuate as the price of coffee beans go up and down. For big savings on coffee, consider roasting your own in a hot air popcorn popper. It's surprisingly easy to roast your own, just be sure to do it outside. Susan (from ThriftyFun) and her son even wrote a book about!

We are creatures of habit, especially in the morning, change your habits and the savings will come easy.

my daily latte if bought comes out to $4.35 each, and i drink 2 lattes a day! so at close to $70 a week i had to find something better. i buy a new espresso machine every 6 to 8 months because i use them to death(the home ones are not meant to be used 2or 3 times a day) for a cost of $20-$30, i buy 2 gallons of milk a week for a cost of $4.50, and a pound of beans a week for a cost of $5 to $8 (depends on if they are on sale) my weekly cost just went from $70 to $12 to $15:) with the money saved, i am hoping to pay off my student loans about 6 months sooner:)

August 27, 2012 Flag

My husband got a Kuerig for his birthday. While the K-Cups are very convenient, we wondered how they compared to using ground coffee in the My K-Cup basket. A box of K-Cups contains 18 cups. Our bag of Tully's coffee weighed 12 ounces and we were able to get 25 cups of coffee.

kuerig vs ground coffee

April 28, 2008 Flag

Sometimes we don't realize how much money we spend on take out coffee. If you buy two cups a day, 5 days a week it can cost you approximately $60 a month. That's $720 a year on just coffee. Yikes! Here are a few solutions to cut down your Java costs.

February 3, 2009 Flag

Money is tight, and we love our morning coffee. I found a way to save 50%. I find the brand name on sale, and buy the darkest roast (look for scale on tin). Brew a full batch of coffee, pour into pitcher. Then fill reservoir with water again. Using the same grounds, brew again.

November 14, 2010 Flag

I really like to drink coffee. I drink it any time of the day. My favorite homemade specialty coffee is so simple and so delicious! Just take a cup of coffee and add a instant packet of hot cocoa mix.

December 27, 2011 Flag

The price of coffee has gone over the roof. I was drinking Folger's Black Silk before it went to nearly $11.00 at WalMart for a can weighing a little over 22 ounces. Then I discovered a brand of coffee by the name of Java something. I can't remember the second word. It is excellent coffee for $4.50 a bag about the same ounces as the Folger's can. The problem is Big Lots doesn't keep it in stock all the time.

I've tried Walmart's brand of coffee and do not like it. I like Kroger's brand of coffee that I drank at a friend's, but there is not a Kroger where I live. Though less expensive Folger's classic and breakfast blends are too weak for my taste and Maxwell House is no less expensive that Folger's.

Using coupons doesn't help as the only coupons I see for coffee are no more than 25 cents and no store here doubles. I'm hoping my ThriftyFun friends can come to my rescue again and recommend a less expensive coffee.

By Betty from Lubbock, TX

There is a coffee company called Boca Java that you can order coffee from online only also Eight O'Clock coffee is wonderful. They have coupons on their website also. I buy mine from Amazon when they have specials or Sam's Club and Walmart also carries it.

April 6, 2010 Flag

I drink a lot of coffee and hate to waste it. Sometimes (often), I will get busy and come back and it is cold. Instead of throwing it out, I pour it back in the pot. I come back in a few minutes and have a hot cup.

Load More
Food and Recipes Food Tips BeveragesJune 10, 2012
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Coffee Stain on Carpet
Removing a Coffee Stain from Carpet
Beautiful coffee filter flowers in jars fiilled with rocks
Crafts Using Coffee Filters
cup of coffee
Making Coffee Without a Coffee Maker
🎄