Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Saving Money on Coffee

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Roasted Coffee Beans

A daily beverage for many people, getting the most out of your coffee purchase is important. This guide is about saving money on coffee.

Solutions: Saving Money on Coffee

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Saving Money on Coffee

My daughter taught me this tip about saving money on coffee costs. She worked in a fancy coffee shop and they taught her tons about coffee, even though she is not a coffee drinker.

Grind your coffee very fine (espresso grind) and it will go much further. Only use half your normal amount of scoops to get the same or even darker pot of coffee. You may need to use a double filter in your drip coffee maker so no grounds get through.

We have been doing this for awhile now and are very pleased with the results. And, our coffee costs are going down so we are even able to purchase socially responsible coffee also.

By Suzanne from Bainbridge Island WA

Tip: Use the Entire Pot Of Coffee

Good coffee is expensive, but cheap if you use it correctly. I purchase good quality ground coffee. When I make a 12 cup pot of coffee, I immediately pour the whole thing into a reused plastic juice bottle. There is usually 1 cup over the container size that I drink. Then I keep it at room temperature in the sealed container, close to the coffee pot.

When I am ready for another cup, I put it in a mug and heat it in the microwave. No more burnt tasting coffee from setting after making on the coffee warmer. No stale coffee to throw away, and no waste. I drink a lot of coffee and don't pay half of what most of my friends pay for coffee supplies. Waste not, want not.

By

Tip: Saving Money on Coffee

Saving Money on CoffeeI love my coffee, but the prices continue to go up so I am sharing some things that have helped me save $$ on my coffee.

1. Make your coffee at home and take it with you. This is a huge savings over even the senior coffee price at McDonald's.
  2. Make a smaller pot of coffee instead of the whole pot. I find I actually drink less if I make a smaller pot of coffee. After coffee is gone, I start drinking water all day.
  3. Buy your coffee in bulk when possible. We belong to Costco, they often have coupons on Folgers. I have also purchased on line through Amazon when they have coffee sales.
  4. I have a friend who buys green coffee beans and roasts her own. She said it is fun to do and saves her money.
  5. I also use coupons when they are in the paper and grocery flyers. Walmart, if you shop there, will take another store's ad and match the price.

There really is never a reason to pay full price for coffee.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

Tip: Give Up Designer Coffee

If you are spending $3 for a cup of cappuccino every morning, this adds up to $21 a week or $1092.00 a year. Instead, you can choose to buy a three-pound can of French vanilla cappuccino for around $12.00. "This will give you 64 cups of coffee, which is less than 20 cents per cup." Multiply that for a week and you get $1.40 or a total savings of $19.40 for the whole week, or a whopping savings of $1,008.80 for the year.

Source: www.HassiesKitchenTable.com

By Faylee from Kingsport, TN

Tip: Add Cocoa Mix To Coffee

I really like to drink coffee. I drink it any time of the day. My favorite homemade specialty coffee is so simple and so delicious! Just take a cup of coffee and add a instant packet of hot cocoa mix. Stir well, add a scoop of whipped topping, and enjoy.

By Jennifer from MI

Tip: Reusable Keurig Pods

Keurig Pod Supplies

If you like the convenience of using a Keurig machine but find the pods too pricey or you miss your favorite coffee, there is a solution. We recently found a 4-pack of reuseable pods for $9.99. They allow you to use your favorite ground coffee and create a lot less garbage too!

Simply pre-fill them and store them in an airtight container until you are ready to use them.

filling pod

pods in container

They fit into the same spot as the pods, so pop it in and run the machine as normal. When you are done, remove the pod, dump out the grounds, clean and dry the pod, and refill it.

put pod in machine

making coffee

By

Tip: Reheating Cold Coffee

I drink a lot of coffee and hate to waste it. Sometimes (often), I will get busy and come back and it is cold. Instead of throwing it out, I pour it back in the pot. I come back in a few minutes and have a hot cup.

The warmer is always on and there is no need to waste the microwave energy. I drink it black now, but used to fix the whole pot with cream and sugar. Works either way and there is no waste.

By Peggy from Cortland, OH

Tip: Stretching Coffee with Espresso

I am always looking for ways to economize. As coffee prices rose, I started using less, but it didn't taste as good. Now I have started to experiment with espresso. I added it a little at a time, until I got a great smelling, tasting, flavorful cup that is satisfying. All the people I give it to think so also.

By Roger from Gardner, MA

Tip: Make Your Own Bottled Coffee Drinks

Bottled coffee drinks are better if the coffee is from home. Wash out any single-serving size plastic bottle and allow to dry upside down in a dish rack. I personally prefer 1-liter bottles but any size will do.

Meanwhile, brew a pot of coffee as strong or as weak as you generally make it. Once brewed, remove from heat and allow to cool completely. When cool, use a funnel to pour coffee from coffee pot into the plastic bottle, being sure to fill the bottle only 1/3 full. Repeat with as many bottles as you have or as much coffee as you have. Once the bottles are one third full of coffee, place in the freezer for 4-8 hours. I like to put the bottles in the freezer partially on their side, so the coffee is lining one side of the bottle but not all the way to the bottle neck.

Make another pot of coffee. To this pot of coffee, add a stick of cinnamon or a bit of cocoa powder or teaspoon of vanilla extract. When the pot is full, remove from heat and add the condiments you normally add to your coffee to include cream or sugar or peppermint. Allow to cool thoroughly, then pour into a (previously washed out) water jug or 2-liter bottle and store in the fridge.

Just before you are ready to go to work or elsewhere, remove the frozen coffee from the freezer and using the funnel, pour the coffee from the fridge into the bottle with the frozen coffee. Replace the lid and you're set to go. Iced coffee exactly the way you like it and it won't water down before you drink it all because the "ice" in your iced coffee is coffee.

This easily converts to hot coffee if you have access to a mug and microwave and it's already the way you like it.

Tip: Kuerig K-Cups Vs. Ground Coffee

kuerig vs ground coffee

My husband got a Kuerig for his birthday. While the K-Cups are very convenient we wondered how they compared to using ground coffee in the My K-Cup basket. A box of K-Cups contains 18 cups. Our bag of Tully's coffee weighed 12 ounces and we were able to get 25 cups of coffee.

K-Cups - $11.99 ($.67 per cup)
Tully's coffee - $9.99 ($.40 per cup)

So in the end, using the ground coffee was cheaper per cup and yielded more cups. Using the My K-Cup basket is a little less convenient and is a bit messy to fill and clean, but does save you money. Most Kuerig brewers come with one, but they can be purchased separately too.

By

Tip: Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

To save money on coffee, I get three 12 oz. cups from one and one half scoops of grounds. I use a reusable conical shaped 4 coffee cup filter in a wide soup/coffee cup and slowly pour boiling water into the first cup with one scoop of grounds. I let that steep for five minutes, then enjoy the coffee. The filter is placed on a saucer.

For the second cup, I add a half scoop more of grounds and the coffee is allowed to steep for five minutes. After that cup, I pour in more boiling water for a third cup, and the grounds are allowed to steep for 5-10 minutes with me stirring the grounds to get the most from them. I don't feel deprived, I get all the caffeine from the grounds and the compost pile gets them next. My coffee cans last a long time.

By TGallagher from Live Oak, TX

Tip: Brew Twice and Save

Money is tight, and we love our morning coffee. I found a way to save 50%. I find the brand name on sale, and buy the darkest roast (look for scale on tin). Brew a full batch of coffee, pour into pitcher. Then fill reservoir with water again. Using the same grounds, brew again. When finished, pour in with first batch. Mix. Now you have 20 cups of coffee for the cost of 10. Remember: dark roast and regular strength cost the same! I strongly suggest using brand name (there is a difference in this case), and you can also use coupons! Live Thrifty!

Tip: Spending Too Much On Take Out Coffee?

Sometimes we don't realize how much money we spend on take out coffee. If you buy two cups a day, 5 days a week it can cost you approximately $60 a month. That's $720 a year on just coffee. Yikes! Here are a few solutions to cut down your Java costs.

A great way to budget your coffee money is to get one of those reloadable coffee cards (Many chain coffee places have them) and put a set amount of money on it once a month (say $20). This will allow you to keep track of your coffee purchases easily. Some coffee chains give you perks if you register your card as well so ask your local coffee establishment about it. Make sure you stick to the coffee budget you set for yourself.

If the establishment where you go does not offer reloadable coffee cards, have a separate tiny change purse in your pocket or purse with your set coffee money and only use this.

I had a $10 Starbucks card one week and in two days it was gone because I had splurged on a few lattes and a snack. I couldn't believe it. If you bring your own mug in, you get a 10 cent discount with them.

If this is much too complicated for your liking, purchase one of those Big Sky Bistro Coffee Presses (google it and you'll see where you can get one, Amazon sells them) and bring your own ground coffee to work/school. All you need is boiled water. The press is your mug as well. Great invention!

By Lisa from Halifax, NS

Tip: Use a Commuter Mug

For those of you that like to frequent coffee shops, whether on your daily commute or just when you're out and about, think about purchasing a commuter mug. Some coffee shops will discount your beverage purchase. These savings can really add up over time. Also, you're effectively helping the environment by not using disposable cups!

By Kristin from Elk River, MN

Article: A Penny Saved... The Morning Latte

You Save: a year!
Use the calculator below to see how much you could save by changing beverages!

My Beverage Costs:

I Buy It Each:

Cheaper Beverage:

The Frugalator!
Do you purchase a latte everyday on your way to work? Ordering a latte every weekday adds up to $650 over the course of a year. If you are looking for ways to save and cut corners in your budget, cutting out the daily latte by either making your own or ordering a cheaper beverage could amount to significant savings over the course of the year. Use The Frugalator on the right to determine how much you could save each year by changing morning beverages.

Some Cheaper Alternatives!

• Buy Drip Coffee: $1.00
  • Make Your Own Latte: $.75 (Price using quality coffee, organic milk and flavoring syrup. Does not include price of Espresso maker.)
  • Make Your Own Drip Coffee... $.25 (Price using quality coffee. Does not include buying your own coffee maker.)

Saving Money on Equipment

The best place to buy rarely used espresso machines is garage sales. Shop around, you can find a quality coffee maker, new, for less than $30.

If you buy one used, check inside the tank for mineral deposits and run a mixture of 1/4 vinegar and 3/4 water throught to remove any deposits.

Save Money on Coffee

Coffee prices fluctuate as the price of coffee beans go up and down. For big savings on coffee, consider roasting your own in a hot air popcorn popper. It's surprisingly easy to roast your own, just be sure to do it outside. Susan (from ThriftyFun) and her son even wrote a book about!

We are creatures of habit, especially in the morning, change your habits and the savings will come easy.

By Fisher Swanson

Tip: Stretching That Gourmet Coffee

I enjoy gourmet, fresh roasted coffee but the price isn't so much fun. I find mixing the ground gourmet about half and half with less expensive coffee still gives me a fresh roasted flavor but costs much less.

By Lynn

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

It is possible to to use coffee grounds more than once? How should they be stored? Do I need to add any extra fresh grounds to them when I use them a second time? Thank you for any help.

By yarnlady from PA

RE: Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

I tried that way back, when coffee went sky high and everyone was talking about doing it. None of the methods suggested gave anywhere near satisfactory results. I would rather drink less coffee and have it decent. (06/01/2009)

By Mary T

RE: Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

In a drip coffeemaker: We re-use the grounds on the same day/morning. Add about half the usual amount of fresh grounds to the used grounds to get a second full pot of coffee. Fill water to the normal amount and brew. It is satisfactory for us. Rumor has it some churches and other social gathering places do this also. (06/03/2009)

By kidsNclutter

RE: Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

I agree with kidsNclutter but also a cone filter uses less grounds and makes stronger coffee, esp if you manually, very very slowly, pour the water in, a little at a time. We use a manual Melitta coffee pot/filter we buy at Amazon. We get good tasting coffee and use very little coffee, two small scoops per pot. The slower the water is poured, the better. Most coffee makers let the water through too quickly, so you need to use more coffee. (06/03/2009)

By karen608

RE: Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

Around here we call that Irish Coffee : ) as my older relatives love to reuse the grounds. I am Irish too, but I have never developed the taste for reusing the grounds. I think a reallg good cup of coffee requires fresh coffee grounds. It is one of my few indulgences. I think I will go get a cupt of hazlenut now! (06/04/2009)

By mulberry204

RE: Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

I always use my coffee grinds more than once. The first pot is 2 scoops and for the next ones I add 1 scoop until the filter is full. I just don't like strong coffee. It taste ok to me. (06/04/2009)

By Joyce wis

RE: Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

Unless you're a coffee snob, adding one half of the amount of coffee grounds for a second pot is just fine ;-) The taste difference is so minimal that it's worth the savings in money :-) (06/04/2009)

By Deeli

RE: Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

I'm not sure about using grounds more than once, but I do know that you should grind your own beans (at home or at the store) and grind them much finer than pre-ground coffee and you'll need way less for a great, stronger cup of Joe. A Dutchman showed me that 20 years ago. (10/06/2009)

By Lisa M.

RE: Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

I agree 100% with Lisa M. I grind my beans fresh every morning, and I give them an extra little push of the button to make them extra fine. You use less and the coffee is great, strong too like I like it! (10/25/2010)

By LuannD

Archive: Saving Money on Coffee

Tips for saving money on coffee. Post your ideas below.