Saving Money on Coffee

A daily beverage for many people, getting the most out of your coffee purchase is important. This guide is about saving money on coffee.

March 14, 2011 Flag

My daughter taught me this tip about saving money on coffee costs. She worked in a fancy coffee shop and they taught her tons about coffee, even though she is not a coffee drinker.

Grind your coffee very fine (espresso grind) and it will go much further. Only use half your normal amount of scoops to get the same or even darker pot of coffee. You may need to use a double filter in your drip coffee maker so no grounds get through.

We have been doing this for awhile now and are very pleased with the results. And, our coffee costs are going down so we are even able to purchase socially responsible coffee also.

By Suzanne from Bainbridge Island WA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

"socially responsible coffee"

I seriously doubt that in all the years of their glorious reigns, either Emily Post or Amy Vanderbilt applied such a chic? adjective to coffee.

Should I assume you 'coined the phrase' as reference to a high class cuppa mud?

Funny and cute!

August 23, 2012 Flag

I love my coffee, but the prices continue to go up so I am sharing some things that have helped me save $$ on my coffee.

1. Make your coffee at home and take it with you. This is a huge savings over even the senior coffee price at McDonald's.
  2. Related Content(article continues below)

3. Make a smaller pot of coffee instead of the whole pot. I find I actually drink less if I make a smaller pot of coffee. After coffee is gone, I start drinking water all day.
  4. Buy your coffee in bulk when possible. We belong to Costco, they often have coupons on Folgers. I have also purchased on line through Amazon when they have coffee sales.
  5. I have a friend who buys green coffee beans and roasts her own. She said it is fun to do and saves her money.
  6. I also use coupons when they are in the paper and grocery flyers. Walmart, if you shop there, will take another store's ad and match the price.

There really is never a reason to pay full price for coffee.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Left over coffee can be put in a glass jar and refrigerated to either be used as Ice Coffee later or heated in the micro wave.

April 9, 2013 Flag

filling pod

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you like the convenience of using a Keurig machine but find the pods too pricey or you miss your favorite coffee, there is a solution. We recently found a 4-pack of reuseable pods for $9.99.

August 16, 2010 Flag

When I want that great flavor coffee, but can't afford the high cost, I buy one jar of my favorite and one cheap jar on sale then mix them together.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 8, 2013 Flag

Good coffee is expensive, but cheap if you use it correctly. I purchase good quality ground coffee. When I make a 12 cup pot of coffee, I immediately pour the whole thing into a reused plastic juice bottle.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 29, 2011 Flag

If you are spending $3 for a cup of cappuccino every morning, this adds up to $21 a week or $1092.00 a year.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 5, 2008 Flag

Bottled coffee drinks are better if the coffee is from home. Wash out any single-serving size plastic bottle and allow to dry upside down in a dish rack. I personally prefer 1-liter bottles but any size will do.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Fisher Swanson0 found this helpful
May 28, 2006 Flag

Do you purchase a latte every day on your way to work? Ordering a latte every weekday adds up to $650 over the course of a year.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 27, 2012 Flag

kuerig vs ground coffee

My husband got a Kuerig for his birthday. While the K-Cups are very convenient, we wondered how they compared to using ground coffee in the My K-Cup basket. A box of K-Cups contains 18 cups. Our bag of Tully's coffee weighed 12 ounces and we were able to get 25 cups of coffee.

April 28, 2008 Flag

Sometimes we don't realize how much money we spend on take out coffee. If you buy two cups a day, 5 days a week it can cost you approximately $60 a month. That's $720 a year on just coffee. Yikes! Here are a few solutions to cut down your Java costs.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 3, 2009 Flag

Money is tight, and we love our morning coffee. I found a way to save 50%. I find the brand name on sale, and buy the darkest roast (look for scale on tin). Brew a full batch of coffee, pour into pitcher. Then fill reservoir with water again. Using the same grounds, brew again.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 14, 2010 Flag

I really like to drink coffee. I drink it any time of the day. My favorite homemade specialty coffee is so simple and so delicious! Just take a cup of coffee and add a instant packet of hot cocoa mix.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 6, 2010 Flag

I drink a lot of coffee and hate to waste it. Sometimes (often), I will get busy and come back and it is cold. Instead of throwing it out, I pour it back in the pot. I come back in a few minutes and have a hot cup.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 10, 2011 Flag

To save money on coffee, I get three 12 oz. cups from one and one half scoops of grounds. I use a reusable conical shaped 4 coffee cup filter in a wide soup/coffee cup and slowly pour boiling water into the first cup with one scoop of grounds.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 31, 2011 Flag

As coffee prices rose, I started using less, but it didn't taste as good. Now I have started to experiment with espresso. I added it a little at a time, until I got a great smelling, tasting, flavorful cup that is satisfying.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 16, 2004 Flag

I enjoy gourmet, fresh roasted coffee but the price isn't so much fun. I find mixing the ground gourmet about half and half with less expensive coffee still gives me a fresh roasted flavor but costs much less. By Lynn

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 29, 2007 Flag

For those of you that like to frequent coffee shops, whether on your daily commute or just when you're out and about, think about purchasing a commuter mug. Some coffee shops will discount your beverage purchase.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 28, 2016 Flag

How can I compare the cost per cup of coffee made in pot a vs K-cups?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just ordered a single person French coffee press. Fast coffee and no little cups to dispose of.

I drink one cup of coffee in the morning; that's my limit, so I want my one cup to be freshly brewed. I use an old 4-cup drip coffee maker for my one cup. To get my one cup at a strength that I like it, I have to use two scoops of ground coffee. Seems like I'm having to use too much ground coffee for one cup, and I'm not particularly fond of what I'm getting. There's got to be a better and easier way. Was just wondering if for my one cup I could get a more satisfying experience using another method. Will look into the French coffee press. Any other ideas?

December 27, 2011 Flag

The price of coffee has gone over the roof. I was drinking Folger's Black Silk before it went to nearly $11.00 at WalMart for a can weighing a little over 22 ounces. Then I discovered a brand of coffee by the name of Java something. I can't remember the second word. It is excellent coffee for $4.50 a bag about the same ounces as the Folger's can. The problem is Big Lots doesn't keep it in stock all the time.

I've tried Walmart's brand of coffee and do not like it. I like Kroger's brand of coffee that I drank at a friend's, but there is not a Kroger where I live. Though less expensive Folger's classic and breakfast blends are too weak for my taste and Maxwell House is no less expensive that Folger's.

Using coupons doesn't help as the only coupons I see for coffee are no more than 25 cents and no store here doubles. I'm hoping my ThriftyFun friends can come to my rescue again and recommend a less expensive coffee.

By Betty from Lubbock, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The Kroger Company owns lots of stores under different names so it is possible that there is a Kroger near you but called something else. Here is a link to company information. I hope this helps you. http://www.thekrogerco.com/

There is a coffee company called Boca Java that you can order coffee from online only also Eight O'Clock coffee is wonderful. They have coupons on their website also. I buy mine from Amazon when they have specials or Sam's Club and Walmart also carries it.

March 14, 2011 Flag

Tips for saving money on coffee.

I love the gourmet flavored coffees. They are so pricey, I refuse to buy a big bag of it. SO I get the little "single pot" bags and stretch it buy adding the same amount of regular coffee. I buy the decaf flavor and add it to regular caffeinated coffee. So I get half the caffeine and double the amount of coffee.

By Especielle from New Braunfels, Texas

Post your ideas below.

Answers:

Saving Money on Coffee

My husband and I love coffee, drinking two pots daily. I have found that I can brew a pot with the regular amount of ground coffee (4 scoops) and then for the second pot add just half the amount of fresh grounds (two scoops) to the grounds used in the first pot. I have noticed no change of taste and am saving each time I brew the second pot.
(06/15/2004)

By rbonneau

Saving Money on Coffee

Get an inexpensive coffee mill - regrind the preground a little to refresh it and extend it some.
(10/06/2004)

By melody_yesterday

Saving on Coffee

Invest in a good thermal travel mug and make your own coffee for your commute instead of stopping to pick it up. You'll pay for the mug the first week and save after.

By Cynthia Conley (03/23/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Saving Money on Coffee

I was actually going to say basically the same thing that rbonneau said but I only make one pot a day ( I use 3 scoops one day and then 3 scoops the next on top of the prior days grounds) and just add to the grounds the night before (programmable coffee pot). I also found this saves on the filters as we have the cone shaped filters (thank you free Gevalia programmable coffee pot) which seem to be more expensive. Plus what melody_yesterday stated is helpful too. (03/23/2005)

By mom2mcar

Saving on Coffee

My husband works construction and with it being winter here he takes a thermos of coffee with him as well as a large cup to drink on the way. We were going through coffee pretty fast. One day I decided to put half of a scoop of coffee into the filter that was already used to make coffee for the thermos, added the water and watched how the coffee started to come out. The result was great! We could not tell the difference in the first pot and the second. This saves a half of a scoop every day and we no longer are buying coffee as often as we were.

By RoseMary B. (04/08/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Saving Money on Coffee

I hardly perk or drip coffee anymore. I use instant,and once I get the right formula for my taste, I don't waste any coffee at all. Most of the cheap instants taste better with less then the recommended amount used.
It isn't Kona coffee by any means ,but it gets the job done as far as satisfaction on my part.

I usually drink two full cups a day. A 6oz jar last a little over a month this time of year but less in the winter. And no! I would never turn down a cup of anybody's fresh brewed coffee

Drink Up Folks

(04/08/2005)

By Mr. Thrifty

Saving Money on Coffee

We use 3 scoops the first pot, 2 scoops the second pot, 1 scoop the 3rd pot. Then if my hubby wants more, he washes the grounds with a half pot of water. el cheapo! (04/08/2005)

By tina

Saving Money on Coffee

You're not saving money if your coffee tastes terrible. And putting an extra scoop on already-brewed grounds makes coffee that tastes terrible! Plain terrible! I know because I've tried it. You would be better off to cut down on your coffee consumption and drink only the "good stuff" in smaller amounts. (04/10/2005)

By Mary

Mixing Coffees

Mix your expensive ground coffee with a less expensive brand. This stretches the expensive brand and gives the less expensive coffee a "premium" taste.
(04/20/2005)

By truerblue

Saving Money on Coffee

Buy the good stuff-the really good stuff FAIR TRADE ORGANIC- and limit yourself to one cup (or two) of it after that use the cheap stuff(or tea). Using a single cup drip cone or a french press makes you think about your intake too

REMEMBER If you get the coffee for cheap, there's a farmer out there who is getting near zero pay(and probably cancer too) Between my husband and I we use about 1 lb per month now. that works out to 25c each per day and I refuse to buy cheap coffee. (05/24/2005)

By for a lark

Saving Money on Coffee

I have been buying my coffee for a while now at Wal-Mart. I buy a brick of reg and brick of decaf in the Great Value "house brand". One is Arabica and the other Columbian. I mix together in a large coffee can and keep in the frig. It doesn't cost a lot and tastes good. (08/08/2006)

By Debbie52

Saving Money on Coffee

I buy green beans from Deansbeans.com and roast it myself. 5 lbs runs 15 bucks. Pretty cheap and by roasting it myself, it doesn't get any fresher (though you want to let it breath 12 to 24 hours before grinding).

If you really like coffee, the investment for a roaster is not that bad.
(12/18/2006)

By Carl

Editor's Note: We roast most of our own. It's a lot of fun!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 10, 2011 Flag

It is possible to to use coffee grounds more than once? How should they be stored? Do I need to add any extra fresh grounds to them when I use them a second time? Thank you for any help.

By yarnlady from PA

Answers:

Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

I tried that way back, when coffee went sky high and everyone was talking about doing it. None of the methods suggested gave anywhere near satisfactory results. I would rather drink less coffee and have it decent. (06/01/2009)

By Mary T

Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

In a drip coffeemaker: We re-use the grounds on the same day/morning. Add about half the usual amount of fresh grounds to the used grounds to get a second full pot of coffee. Fill water to the normal amount and brew. It is satisfactory for us. Rumor has it some churches and other social gathering places do this also. (06/03/2009)

By kidsNclutter

Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

I agree with kidsNclutter but also a cone filter uses less grounds and makes stronger coffee, esp if you manually, very very slowly, pour the water in, a little at a time. We use a manual Melitta coffee pot/filter we buy at Amazon. We get good tasting coffee and use very little coffee, two small scoops per pot. The slower the water is poured, the better. Most coffee makers let the water through too quickly, so you need to use more coffee. (06/03/2009)

By karen608

Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

Around here we call that Irish Coffee : ) as my older relatives love to reuse the grounds. I am Irish too, but I have never developed the taste for reusing the grounds. I think a reallg good cup of coffee requires fresh coffee grounds. It is one of my few indulgences. I think I will go get a cupt of hazlenut now! (06/04/2009)

By mulberry204

Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

I always use my coffee grinds more than once. The first pot is 2 scoops and for the next ones I add 1 scoop until the filter is full. I just don't like strong coffee. It taste ok to me. (06/04/2009)

By Joyce wis

Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

Unless you're a coffee snob, adding one half of the amount of coffee grounds for a second pot is just fine ;-) The taste difference is so minimal that it's worth the savings in money :-) (06/04/2009)

By Deeli

Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

I'm not sure about using grounds more than once, but I do know that you should grind your own beans (at home or at the store) and grind them much finer than pre-ground coffee and you'll need way less for a great, stronger cup of Joe. A Dutchman showed me that 20 years ago. (10/06/2009)

By Lisa M.

Using Coffee Grounds More Than Once

I agree 100% with Lisa M. I grind my beans fresh every morning, and I give them an extra little push of the button to make them extra fine. You use less and the coffee is great, strong too like I like it! (10/25/2010)

By LuannD

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips BeveragesJune 10, 2012
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Coffee Stain on Carpet
Removing a Coffee Stain from Carpet
Beautiful coffee filter flowers in jars fiilled with rocks
Crafts Using Coffee Filters
cup of coffee
Making Coffee Without a Coffee Maker
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 6:54:24 AM on 10.0.1.80 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.