Saving Money on Drinks

When at home or out with the kids, there are ways to reduce the cost of beverages. This guide is about saving money on drinks.

May 7, 2013 Flag

I thought I was pretty clever to freeze partial bottles of water into ice. Then I can just add either more water, juice or other drinks to when I head out the door for a walk, gardening or on the road! Saves me money on drinks that might not be healthy for me and stays pretty cold longer! :D

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 6 Comments

August 20, 2011 Flag

My kids are in sports and practices are right after school. By the time school is over, the water I packed in their gym bag in the morning is warm. I started freezing half the bottle of water the night before.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 14, 2008 Flag

I used to buy Snapples and other bottled drinks when I was at work or school, but it got expensive and I was worried about all the bottles I was wasting. So I saved the bottles, washed them out, fill them a third with juice, pop or water and pop them in the freezer. The next day I fill them to the top with water. Mmm, flavored water, frugal, and it stays cold. :) The ice will melt quickly.

By Heather from Los Angeles

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 9 Comments

October 2, 2008 Flag

I carry a bottle of water with me to work every day and I love very cold water so I freeze my water so it will stay cold all day but you can't use those "wimpy" plastic bottles. I buy Propel or the small Gatorade bottles which are heavy plastic and will take freezing. I reuse the same bottles every week. I have had the same bottles for about a year now saving money and plastic and my water is always cold. I also use the some bottles in the cooler when we go on vacation. They stay cold longer and don't melt all over everything.

By Marilyn from Oklahoma City, OK

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 4 Comments

September 11, 2013 Flag

I use a lot of powdered drink mix during the summer. To make preparation faster and easier since I mix it in a half gallon milk jug, I keep a measuring cup and paper funnel right in the sugar container.

sugar

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 20, 2004 Flag

I always crave a soda in the afternoon at work. Sodas in our vending machine cost $1.25. Which can add up very quickly after a week. So I buy cases of soda on sale and take 5 to work Monday morning or pop one in my purse on my way out the door.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 12, 2012 Flag

Any suggestions on freezing water bottles? Mine keep cracking. I tried using less water and it still cracked. How can I keep the water cold all day?

By Olga

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can get a thicker plastic water bottle at DollarTree to reuse. The thin plastic they use in bottled water does crack easy.

I hate to use the plastic bottles. I just don't like the chemical make-up or the plastic 'syndrome'. But when I did use plastic bottles for just the same thing, I always put about 1 inch of water in, freeze and then fill with water when I want to use it. It lasts a good while that way.

I now use the glass bottles or the metal ones and do the same thing.

I use the ones from Juice, Gatorade, Flavored water and such. They are so thick you almost can't dent them when you press on them. And yes, filling them up half way and then freezing them does the trick. Then the next morning, you fill the rest of the way with water.

Do you cap the water bottles before putting in the freezer? Leave the caps off until you take them out. And filling just half or less before freezing is a good idea, too. Good cold water most of the day.

I freeze water all the time. The suggestions above are really good. Leave the cap off and only fill them half full. Also, when I freeze them, I lay the bottle in the freezer on an angle. Make sure the water doesn't spill out and freeze it on about a 45 degree angle. That way when you put water in on top of the ice, more of the water comes in to contact with the ice and you get nice cold water quickly.

Use a different kind of plastic bottle. Mine work fine.

Budget & Finance Saving MoneyJuly 5, 2012
Drink Stain on Carpet
Cleaning Drink Stains on Carpet
Hot Tea
Cooling Down Hot Drinks
Cappuccino with foamed milk.
Making Milk Foam for Coffee Drinks
Summer drinks
Avoiding Watered Down Iced Drinks
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 9:09:50 AM on 10.0.1.21 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.